Golden 1 Credit Union Reviews

Golden 1 Credit Union Review

I have been a patron of Golden 1 for about 8 years now and it is hands down the best bank I have ever used. Prior to Golden 1 I had banked at several different places, but found them all to be lacking something Golden 1 has in spades: reasonable fees. There are no unnecessary penalties or stipulations at Golden 1, they are very straight forward and fair when dealing with customers. Speaking of customers, the customer service is second to none. Tellers and bank employees are more than willing to help you with any questions or concerns you may have, and do so in a patient and professional manner. I have never once felt condescended towards or unsatisfied while seeking assistance. Their website is clean and easy to navigate and boast a secure and reliable environment, so customers know they are safe from identify theft and the like. Overall, Golden 1 Credit Union is lightyears ahead of the competition and I highly recommend doing your banking with them.

Satisfied Customer

Posted by: Wendy | Aug 18, 2014

I am so glad I switched to this Credit Union. I am an extremely satisfied customer. Golden One is located close to where I live. Conveniently close. I love walking into Golden One. Definitely has a sense of community. The Bankers are very professional and helpful. I never have to stand in line for a long time like I did at my regular bank that I used to have. I recommend Golden 1 Credit union. They are awesome and easy to get car loans through.

I've Had Better

Posted by: Garrett | Jul 29, 2014

I've been with Golden One Credit Union for some time now. I first signed up for the account because I needed a savings account separate of my primary account. I never planned on using it much so little research went into the decision. This is not like me what so ever. As for my overall satisfaction of the bank I would say its quit unimpressive. There service is nothing special but also isn't anything I would complain about. There mobile app is really basic with nothing to set it apart from other banking apps I have. There fees aren't competitive but also not considerably pricey. Over the years I've had some problems but nothing you wouldn't expect. The bank has done nothing to attempt to win my business from my other banks even when they come up in casual conversation. For all the reasons stated I really wouldn't recommend this bank to anyone in the market. There are much better better financial institutions that I feel value their customers more.

The Best!!!!

Posted by: W.Thomas | May 7, 2014

I have been a member for two years now. And they are the best. I switched from Wells Fargo to Golden 1 Credit union. They have no hidden fees, and my check and savings account are free. I have always had great customer service. Everyone is always very helpful and smiling, which makes it a nice experience when I go to the bank.

I have had an auto loan which was easy to get even with the bad credit that I had. They gave me a chance and believed in me. The loan has since been paid, and it boosted my credit score.

Golden 1 is conveniently located close to me that it is in walking distance.

Bill pay is wonderful, makes my life easier just clicking to pay, very hassle free.

Forever a Gold 1 Credit Union Fan. Keep up the great work!!!!

Easy to work with and fair.

My primary experience with Golden1 was purchasing a used car. Golden1 offered me, a person with dubious credit, a large enough loan to purchase a vehicle for my needs at an interest rate that was quite fair, and monthly payments well within my financial capabilities. If I encountered trouble making a payment, they were always willing to help me work out a better schedule.

Friendly Banking

Posted by: Naomi2 | Mar 28, 2014

Golden 1 Credit Union is a great place to do your banking. Offering all the services of a regular bank, Golden 1 provides the additional benefits of lower interest rates and lower fees. They hire friendly tellers and financial officers. One of their policies is to release funds sooner on deposits made inside the bank rather than at the atm machine, promoting a friendly face to face atmosphere. This "get to know you" attitude they have is why I prefer to do my banking with Golden 1.

So DISAPPOINTED! Closing This Account Soon!

Posted by: iReview | May 4, 2012

I could not be any more DISAPPOINTED with the service I received today at the branch I had gone to today. I had been mugged in a parking lot after grocery shopping this past weekend on Saturday. I was not able to reach anyone until Monday in order to cancel my card for my entire savings account. I was finally able to close that card and was issued a new one. I asked the lady who I spoke with on a local 916 telephone number and mentioned to her my entire purse was stolen with my entire wallet including ID. I asked her if I would be able to use an expired drivers license I had to pull out money and get a temporary card and she said no, I would have to get temp lD from the DMV and then I would be able to. So I went into a golden 1 branch today... And after being mugged and having my entire purse stolen from me I never want to carry cash on me again. I asked for a temporary card and she said she could not issue one to me because I did not have a valid ID!!! After the customer service line already told me I could! I am so disappointed in Golden 1 I requested to withdraw my entire savings account and close this account out so I can take it to my other bank who has been so much more accommodating.  At this point, she told me she could only give me up to so much. And I would only be able to pull out $100 a day until I either get my card or a "valid ID". I am so upset, I cannot wait to close my account with Golden 1. I thought I'd share my experience... There's so many cons to banking with Golden 1: they do not have a 24 hour customer service line to call in the event your card gets stolen... Especially being a Saturday evening robbery, these thieves had all night Saturday and all day Sunday to use my card up until Monday when i was finally able to reach somebody, who ended up giving me incorrect information.... They close so early on the weekdays, if you have a 9-5 job you have to wait til the weekend to go in, unless you go on your lunch. I barely made it today since they're open a half hour later on Fridays. Overall, once I get a valid ID or my new card I will be running in the door to withdraw my entire savings account and moving it to where I have currently been banking for the past 10+ years. I tried Golden 1 for not even an entire year and have only been disappointed with never being able to make it to the bank in time. Without a temp card, I am not able to transfer any money to my actual checkings at another bank where they have set me up with a temporary card, so I do not have to carry cash on me due to my fear of getting mugged again. I guess that's why I've been with my bank for so long. I trust my other bank... golden 1 is not a place I want my money at and I am more than eager to start pulling out a $100 a day until I pull out every last penny. GOLDEN 1 IS NOT A BANK I CAN TRUST TO HANDLE MY MONEY.  Are you going to delete my post again? I guess I'll just post this on yelp and other review sites where you don't the ability to delete my review.

Uhhh What Bank?

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 1, 2012

Why do some of these reviews call Golden1 a bank? No wonder they have issues, they don't even know that their money is, or was, with a credit union! Night and day difference between banks. I've been happy. They have made huge improvements to the website and almost on par with banks like BofA. Mobile apps work great and on the occasions that I do need to deposit checks I do it with the mobile phone app. Take a picture and send it off and see your deposit the next day. Never have had to set foot, and can always quickly and easily access/handle my money online. If you are savvy enough with technology and competent enough to know where you are putting your money and the related fees that are clearly on their website, Golden1 is a great place to store/invest your money.

Happy With Golden 1

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 11, 2012

I've been with Golden 1 for a few years, and I have been very happy with the service, I love there online bill pay. I love the friendliness of there staff in every branch I've been in.

I've only had two issues with being a victim of fraud, but both times Golden 1 was on top of it, notifying me right away and freezing my account. They were very nice to me on the phone and were & quick to send me a brand new card in the mail and getting my money back to me. I am very pleased with this bank!

Real Customer Review

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 19, 2011

Gotta love the people who rated Golden1 "CREDIT UNION" and said how they didn't enjoy this "bank". If you are looking for an alternative to banks and looking into California credit unions, and you plan on staying in California, Golden 1 is a great choice. I haven't had to move, but even if I did, I would probably still stay with them. The service is always friendly. We did use with B of A and our local branch was also friendly (1-800 phone support however is horrible) we just chose to switch for many other reasons.

I won't rant about Golden1 safety in assets and security as you can do a web search yourself, but as a customer I will say that Golden1 recently came out with many long over due technology updates that I have overall been very please with.

They now have android apps and website tools that are a little more on par with for-profit-banks. The online tools are still new and being updated but work great! A few minor kinks in the overall user interface, but my bills get paid, I can use all the latest technology to keep watch on my account and it was no hassle signing up and getting my wife on the account. I would upgrade to a 5 star when they keep ironing out all their technological updates.

We use direct deposit and occasionally, golden1 mobile app, to deposit misc checks from home. Transferring money between checking and savings is easy as any major bank, and you can do it all online by yourself. We hardly go into our local branch, but as I mentioned, when we do, it's been a great experience. I'm usually in and out on my lunch break.

Bait And Switch

Posted by: Trinh | Nov 1, 2011

Golden 1 did a bait and switch on me. Their site advertised auto loan is 2.9%, after I applied. I had to called Customer Services and they told me the rate is 6.7%.

I know my credit are in good standing in the mid 700...

LOL

Golden 1 Is The WORST BANK!

GOLDEN 1 IS THE WORST BANK!! Since joining I have had nothing but problems! I took an auto loan out almost a year ago. Anytime I got information from one representative, another would tell me something complete opposite. It seems impossible to get anything accomplished when calling in to speak with anyone.

Recently I moved back home to Hawaii. When I called in to make my first payment after moving back, Golden 1 charged me twice for my car loan, causing me to overdraft! After calling in and speaking with a representative and getting nowhere, I spoke with a manager. After a while of trying to get anywhere, David Greigner told me he would call me back after he looked into it more and "the dust settles" concerning the account activity. A week later, two days after David said he would call me back, I had to call in. I left a couple messages on his voicemail, then finally spoke with another manager. She tried to say it was my fault I was charged twice, "It appears you called in for a payment and so did your wife." My wife doesn't have access to my account because she isn't on the loan--that was my first issue! After finally getting my refund I should have received a week earlier, I thought the nightmare was over. I figured I would forgive and forget and try not to create anymore rifts.

A month later, I called in to make my next payment, Sept 17th. I was calling in about a week before the payment was due like usual, Sept 21st. The collection representative told me there was no payment due this month and that its not due till Oct 21st. I thought that was strange, thinking maybe my account hasn't updated since the last hassle. I decided I would call back on the 21st, the due date. When I called in a second time, another representative told me the same thing, "there is no payment due this month, not until October 21st. If you make a payment today, it will go towards your principal." I was surprised and asked the rep to fax or email me a confirmation just to keep as reference if for some reason I was informed incorrectly. The rep refused. Since my wife and I are having our first child, we took the extra, much needed money and bought baby supplies. I figured maybe due to all the mix up, they deferred that months payment for some reason or another...

Two weeks later, we get a late payment notice from Golden1!! I called immediately! Once again I had to speak with multiple reps who both told me different things, trying to blame the confusion on me. Finally I spoke with a manager, Peter. He actually pulled up the notes and read to me what happened. He acknowledged both times I called in to make a payment and was told it wasn't due till Oct 21st. His excuse was that the account was updated on Sept 27th, a week after the due date, and therefore it was my fault I was late!! WHAT??!! I CALLED IN TWICE--A WEEK EARLY AND ON THE ACTUAL DUE DATE!! THEN 1 WEEK LATER ITS UPDATED AND I AM SUPPOSE TO BE AWARE OF THIS?? I tried to reason with Peter, telling him I want to fix this issue. He tells me to pay the bill that is now two weeks late! I was getting ready to pay the Oct 21st payment, now I have to cough up two payments in the same week?? I asked him if there was any way we can defer one payment since I was misinformed twice. He tells me he will look into the issue and call me back...well what do you think happened??? The day he said he would call me, he didn't. I called in and left a couple messages on his voicemail; after not being successful, I was able to get ahold of another manager--DAVID GREIGNER!!! I tried to reason with David and of course, once again I was at square one--he tells me its my fault and there is nothing he can do! I asked him what he suggests at this point? David tells me, "just pay late every time!!" GREAT ADVICE DAVID GREIGNER!! THANK YOU GOLDEN 1 FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Hiring Wells Fargo Brass

Golden 1 used to be a great place to bank. But things have changed dramatically over the last 3 years. Golden 1 has been hiring former Wells Fargo management staff. Wells Fargo is one of the worst banks in the market and a formerly great Credit Union decided they wanted to be more like Welss Fargo. Trying to find a new Credit Union. A great place going down the tubes.

Golden One

Golden one isn't just a bank, it's my bank. Golden One has always be quick and efficient when working with them. The staff was helpful. I haven't noticed any hidden or recurring fees associated with my checking and savings account. And if for someone reason I couldn't sleep, well, I can use their online website (which has always been available) to check my balance and transactions. You'll get wonderful support from the group at Golden One. Feel free to talk about Golden One.

Lack Of Notice

Posted by: nan | May 15, 2011

While I have had a good relationship with this bank over the years, I am now removing all my money due to their overdraft policy.  I was extremely busy with five different deadlines and did not transfer money in time, so automatic bill pay started racking up overdraft charges.  While I admit that this is partially my fault, it was my credit card company that notified me that something was wrong -- not the bank!!!  In fact, I did not receive any notice until 10 days later when a snail mail notice arrived.  If my credit card company had not notified me, I would have had ten more overdraft charges!!!  This bank has emailed me about everything over the years -- and encouraged electronic statements and electronic bill pay -- but this is a rip-off!!  Not only that, they refuse to consider that they are complicit in this problem by not notifying me in a timely manner so I could fix the problem with a simple transfer of funds.  I will be transferring all of my business to banks that understand that modern life and electronic systems should be applied to all customer transactions.  As far as I am concerned, in this case, Golden One is stealing.  DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH GOLDEN ONE.

Nice Place For Locals

Posted by: CJBaldwin | May 14, 2011

I first became a member of this credit union as a junior in college. What stood out was how intimate the employees are with their customers and how that smaller touch gave me a greater sense of connection to the banks. The only reason I closed my accounts was because I moved out of the area, but what I always remembered was the friendliness of being a person that was recognized at each branch because they took the time to make me feel valued. Those small touches make all the difference sometimes.