KeyBank Reviews

Horrible.

This is the absolute worst bank I have ever used and or heard of anyone using. It took me three tries to get my debit card ordered and during that first month they almost closed my account because they "lost" my deposit. Once that got cleared up I finally received my debit card 42 days after opening my account. They had tacked on monthly bank fees because I had not used my card the twice per 30 days requirement to waive them.  That got refunded after 10 days of "looking into it". Fast forward 5 months with no problems until I go to check my account only to find that my account has been closed. I am informed that it is closed because they did not have a signature card on file. (I filled out everything including a signature card with a branch manager who had conveniently relocated to Portland) I received no notice, and no phone call. They claim to have sent out the letter September 3rd giving me 30 days notice that my account would be closed. Not only did I never receive a letter, my account was not closed until October 30th. They then had the balls to encourage me to open another account with them and that they will make sure this time that everything is correct. No one involved with this bank can ever answer any questions they always have to ask someone else over the phone. This occurs over the phone or in person at the branch locations. I wish I could give them zero stars. A ceramic piggy bank with a ferret guarding it would have better customer service and probably be more competent than Key Bank.

Key Bank Management

I have received very poor customer service by the local management as well as the regional managers.  I was given misinformation about my home loan, and on one occassion inaccurate figures.  The local manager has been terrible at follow up service. I am surprised that Key Bank is still operating in Lambertville, Michigan. The worst overall experience with service and help I have ever recieved from a bank in my 30 years of using a bank.

Tired Of Paying Fees

Over the last 6 months at Key Bank, I was getting changed insane fees because I missed one transaction in their 5 transactions minimum policy, or I wanted an ATM card instead of a debit card, or worse an overdraft fee for being $2 shy when I was assured that I was set up with overdraft protection. I can’t even count how many times I had to call them to make sure they got my home address right, and time and time again they got it wrong. To top it all off, there customer service was extremely lacking. One woman even had the nerve to call me irresponsible when I went to close the accounts I had there (which there is yet another $25 fee to do for each account, which is actually cheaper to do then to stay there). Stay far away from this bank.

Bad Banking Practice

I had a CD with Key Bank that matured in August. Weeks before the maturity date, I completed a form requesting that half the money be sent to another bank and half to remain in their bank.  They took slightly more than half to retain and let the other half sit in their bank for 2 months without forwarding it and without notifying me that there was a problem!  When the other bank contacted me to say they had not yet received the money, I called Key Bank and really had to jump thru hoops to get the money transferred.  First, they said the amount on the request form was off by a few dollars and needed correcting (they had not notified me of this). Then it still was not transferred, nor was I notified of a problem util I called.  They said I owed a penalty fee because the request was after the maturity date and I had to FAX them a letter agreeing to have the penalty fee subtracted from the amount transferred.  I was furious because the original request was well before the maturity date. I FAX'd them the requested letter (actually 2, because first they gave me the wrong amount of the "penalty").  The $65 penalty was an outrage and I told them so, but they were not going to forward my money until I agreed to pay it.  I have dealt with many banks over the years, but have never experienced such poor customer service!!!

An Absolutely Horrible Mortgage Experience

Every week there were new forms to be signed and new documents to be provided - new hoops to jump through.  They provide a website to track the status of your loan - what documents you still need to get to them and what they still need to do before you can close.  I applied for the loan 7 weeks prior to the date I wanted to close.  I provided all requested documents promptly.  Four weeks after I had first applied and three weeks before I was supposed to close I called to inquire about the numerous red flags still showing up on the website.  Many of these flags were items I had provided weeks ago; others didn't make any sense; still others they had never even asked for.  The agent in their mortgage "service" center assured me that that would all get taken care of soon.  The loan should come out of processing any day now and when that happened the flags would all get cleared up.  He seemed quite irritated that I had even called to ask.  Two days before I was supposed to close I called him because I still didn't have final numbers.  He said it should be done "today".  One day before closing he called me to request yet another document and - in passing - mentioned a "small" issue with the home owner's association.  But, still it should be done "today".  3 hours after I was supposed to close the local mortgage specialist called me to tell me that there was an issue with the HOA and they needed a letter that the HOA was not providing to them.  Both she and the agent in their central mortgage service center were actively hostile when I put the blame on Key for the loan not closing on time - they had had 7+ weeks to get it done.  Both blamed the HOA, my Realtor, and the seller's Realtor for the delays.  I was especially upset at their refusal to take any of the blame because everytime I spoke with them I was assured that everything was fine and they always made it clear that I shouldn't have been bothering them with these concerns - the loan would close on time.

The issue with the HOA that was revealed 3 hours after the closing should have happened was with the delinquency rate on HOA fees; it required an exception through Fannie Mae to get the loan approved and that would cost me $200.  In addition to costing an extra $200, it was also going to take at least a week to get the exception.  I was very upset about this because everytime I asked about the status of the loan I was assured everything was on track - right up until the closing time came and went without closing!  She informed me that I didn't have to go for the exception; of course if I didn't the loan was declined.  In my mind that's really not a choice.  Just like when your computer crashes and says I've lost your data, press OK.  No, it's not OK, but I don't have any other choice!!  She refused to acknowledge that the "choice" she was giving me was really no choice at all.  The only good thing I have to say about Key comes here - the exception got approved very quickly.  They turned it around in less than 1 business day!  But, from what I've seen of their business practices at the last possible moment is the only way they do things so I guess they've gotten quite good at it!

I could go on and on and list the numerous other things that they got wrong throughout the process, but I hope by now I've convinced you to take your business elsewhere.  Their fees were lower than other lenders, but you get what you pay for.  And many of the fees they advertised at the start of the process ended up being much higher in the end (those are the numerous other things I could go on and on about; suffice it to say the "surprises" added up to about $700 in extra fees by the end). I'll never get another mortgage through them; not even if they paid me!

Beware Of Prepayment Penalty And Poor Customer Service !!!

We had been with Key Bank for some years now, but we closed our account this week because of poor customer service and the prepayment penalty clause which was not disclosed to us verbally on a commercial loan. Also the loan was not set up to receive the 1098 automatically even though it was a mortgage loan. It is very hard to get issues resolved in a timely manner. It takes sveral phone calls and emails for every small thing. If you do business with Key Bank, please be sure to read everything, as the most important things are not disclosed verbally at the time of closing.

Not The Best

As with all large banks, Key gives you the feeling of being a cog in the wheel. They charge for being the keeper of your account, and fees are numerous, even for those who are in good standing. Their new buildings go up left and right, and there is no feeling that they give back to the communities they are servicing. My advise: go with a small local bank or a credit union.

Fees For Everything, Horrible Customer Service

I GET CHARGED A FEE TO CALL IN ABOUT MY OWN ACCOUNT,  THEY MAKE SURE TO TAKE ALL OF THE DEBITS OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT BEFORE ANY CREDITS SO IF YOU OVER DRAFT THEY HIT YOU WITH A FEE AND DONT EVEN TRY TO GET IT WAIVED BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT DO IT. CUSTOMER SERVICE GETS RUDE WITH YOU. THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU IN ANY TYPE OF WAY THIS BANK IS ALL ABOUT MAKING MONEY. IVE GOT MORE MONEY TAKEN OUT OF MY ACCOUNT FOR FEES THEN ANYTHING ELSE. IM TRYING TO BUILD MY SAVINGS AND THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO DO IT! BE CAREFUL!!!!!! THEY JUSTIFY EVERYTHING THEY DO BY SAYING ITS IN THE "FINE PRINT" ON THE TERMS YOU SIGNED. THEY WILL GET YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT CARE HOW THEY DO IT!!

Banks Dishonest Practices

My son opened a student account at Key bank and direct deposited his checks, including his student loan check.   The bank increased its charges and informed him in very convoluted language at the end of a statement.  My son found that every time he checked his balance the bank was charging him and they were charging him an additional fee for checking at an out of state ATM.   He could not access his online account to find out why his money was disappearing and repeatedly contacted help to figure out why access was denied.   It cost him a lot of money by checking his balance on an ATM in an attempt to do his due diligence and avoid overdrafting.  Of course, it cost Key bank nothing for him to view his balance, they charged as much as $5 for this "service" at another banks ATM.  When he came home in May, he spoke to a service representative and closed  his account and withdrew his balance.  Unfortunately, the bank personnel did not bother to actually close his account.   We received robo-calls, with nobody on the other end, directed to nobody's name, saying to call Key bank.  Since none of us had accounts there any more, we thought this was a promotion.  When we did call the number that was left we found the bank had charged him $45, because they hadn't closed his account.  We spent another half hour at the bank, we were told this was corrected, but it wasn't until we contacte the consumer protection agency and they contacted the bank.  Terrible service and dishonest banking policies that treat their customers like they are there to be robbed.  I recommend you never use this bank, no matter what the promotions they offer, such as a student account.  They will change the rules, without clear notification and they will try to rob you.

A Banking Adventure - Key Bank

This is honestly the worst banking institution I have ever dealt with.

Example: When I opened my account, I opened a checking account which was then used to fund a CD. But somehow they transferred the money to the CD before my account balance was available and they charged me an overdraft fee!!

Any simple activity or transaction takes on a whole new sense of adventure. They don't seem to have the most basic banking processes down pat.

Again when closing the account, I went into the branch and asked to close the account. They withdrew the balance and said the account would be closed. Two weeks later I get a statement in the mail, with a negative balance because the account is still open and they have charged me an account maintenance fee.

Ridiculous incompetence. I will never bank with them again no matter what interest rates they offer.

The Worst Bank EVER!!!

Their online system never works, they keep changing URLs, without notifying you, phone system does not work, you can't even pay your account when you want to. Getting anyone on the phone is next to impossible. I closed my account, and three weeks later they took money out of my bank account. Now I can't get in touch with them to get my money back! Thieves!!! Stay away from this Brady bunch! Not worthy of the name "bank."

Customer Service Sucks

I have lived in the small town of belfair wa all my life. This bank has been here since forever why i have no clue. They are rude every single time you go there for anything you doing. Deposits, payments dosent matter. If you like to be treated as a second rate citizen talked down to and by snoody stuck up employees you will enjoy this branch. Otherwise drive to any other town to bank with them if you must. This has been going on with them for years..... when my home equity is paid for i will never be back what a day to look forward to.

All Banks Are The Same, But Customer Service Is The Differentiating Point.

Before Key Bank, I had accounts with Alaska USA credit union (whom I still have for savings), Wells Fargo and Chase. Key Bank lacks on certain areas with technology and exceeds within others. The employees in any branch I walk into make me feel welcome and even when I have an issue I don't expect to have solved within the branch, they each go out of their ways to advocate on my behalf to get it solved or send me in the right direction. They have all the convenience and technology of a large bank and have the neighborhood feel of a small bank. Unlike some of the other commentors, I read my disclosures and asked the important question a financially responsible person would ask before opening my account and the bankers always answer honestly and even make suggestions on how to avoid financial issues. I would recommend Key Bank to anyone living within their footprint and think those with negative experiences stop blaming the bank and perhaps look at what THEY did wrong that could've kept them out of the current situation. On a final note, I have banked with many banks and credit unions and I must say Key Bank's fees are low for the market and in some cases are not charged at all compared to larger banks. If you are smart with your money and finances, this bank will do the rest for you!

Just Short Of Hijacking

The only reason I gave them 1 star is because they do at least answer the phone ... well at some locations anyway.

Keybank is absolutely terrible. Tried to close an account for my father who needed this money desperately for his care. I have Financial Power of Attorney and faxed over all necessary documents to them. After 10 days, they confirmed that they received those documents but have not added me to the account. In addition, they have no idea when I will be added to the account and will not notify me once they do. All they will tell me is "Call back next week and check". Seriously? Once I am on the account, that is not the end of the ordeal - from what I understand. Then I will have to send a notrized letter requesting withdrawl.  They state this is for "security". I wonder how long that letter will take to process. Never Never Never deposit your money with this company. If how they paractice is legal, they must be walking on the edge of legality.

Frustrating Customer Service Experience

I am just about pulling my hair out after trying to have a simple customer service question answered. I fought my way through the miserable website (which had issues loading several time) until I found a telephone number. That number led me to the dumbest computer loop conversations until I gave up and hit 0 for the operator. It then said, "I'll give you an operator, but first let me finish this sylilloque about how entering all the information makes life easy." The human was about as helpful as the machine. All she could do was tell me to visit a branch to ask my question there. Arrrg!!!

And don't even get me started on the nagging for "paperless" statements...

Terrible Banking Practices

I had a CD with Key Bank which matured in August. I notified them weeks ahead of time that I wanted to move half the money to another bank and keep half in their bank, converting it from a traditional to a Roth IRA. They took a larger share of the "half" for their bank. Then it took me 2 months to get the rest of the money transferred, and I would not have even known it if the OTHER bank did not notify me. When I called Key Bank they told me the amount on the request wasn't exactly right (by a few dollars). I corrected this. Then, a month later, I got a notice from the other bank that they still had not received the money. I called Key Bank and they said I owed a penalty fee because the final request was after the maturity date. They never bothered to notify me of any of these problems and the $65 penalty fee was an outrage. I have never had such difficult dealings with a bank before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Key Banks Future

Seems Key has lost touch with its customers. I guess the days of society bank have faded. The decreasing deposits have not sent a message to management that people want to feel like a client, not a cog. In my view, the bank management is grooming the bank for a takeover that will be very profitable for them but not the bank's deposit clients.

Horrible Service

I have gotten horrible service from this bank. Not only in the branch itself, but also from a lot of the customer service reps in the call centers. I have been lied to constantly and nobody can ever get their facts straight. I have yet to have 2 people give me the same information, and every time I ask for something they say there is nothing they can do to help me. This morning was the last straw. Monday morning I am going down to close my account. I haven't been treated this poorly by a bank and Chase was pretty awful after they bought out Washington Mutual.