Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Questions/Other

Lol, Sounds Like "Sean From San Francisco" Might Be An Employee At This Company Or Have A Family

Thursday, February 4, 2010 - 9:33 AMBank of the Sierra
Lol, sounds like "Sean from San Francisco" might be an employee at this company or have a family member that works at it.  I see this kind of stuff on Yelp and other websites all the time so it is easy to spot.  Notice how he didn't address Essie's specific problem and just made a generalization about how great the company is?  (While making a sales pitch I should add about the interest rate and how is better than your typical savings account).  “Sean” says:  “I do not agree with Essie.  The bank provides 4.09% return on the checking account, which far exceeds my savings at Wells Fargo (0.5 %).”  Essie said nothing contesting this.  This is a classic sign:  don’t address specifics of a person’s complaint, make generalizations about how great the company is, and pitch the products.

The reason Essie received the B.S. denial is because they make no money off savings accounts--at least not as many fees as they collect from debit and credit transactions from checking accounts.  (Though I would recommend she verify her information with all three credit agencies and not just one).  This is why they make stipulations about using your debit card so many times in a month to qualify for the 4.09%--something they can take away at anytime and likely will within a few months--so that it is worth it to the bank to give you that interest rate.  But hey, if you can get a return from having one of these accounts, meaning the interest you receive out weighs the transaction fees you accrue from using your debit card (usually around $1.00 - $2.00 per transaction) then why not? 

I, however, will not be doing business with a company that feels the need to have one of its goons pretend to be an actual consumer.  I'd advise everyone to stay away from such shady practices.
AnonymousAnonymous2,281 posts since
May 9, 2010
Rep Points: 3,786