Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Change In Membership Requirements

Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 12:34 PMFirstmark Credit Union - Details
Firstmark Credit Union no longer permits, as a basis for membership, the joining of Friends of the San Antonio Parks.  Because of this, it seems to me that its accounts should perhaps no longer be considered "nationally available."  A CSR has confirmed to me, however, that an existing member who joined based on being a Parks Friend can continue to open new accounts available to all members. 
OldGuyOldGuy46 posts since
Jan 23, 2013
Rep Points: 785
1. Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 3:50 PM
Thanks for the update. Sorry to see the change.

I've updated my post, The Big List of Credit Unions Open to Anyone, and I updated our database so Firstmark will no longer show on the rate tables when you're looking for nationwide accounts.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
2. Monday, January 28, 2013 - 12:53 AM
I'm the son of a Vietnam vet who was wounded in war and received a purple heart. He was honorably discharged yet I was told by Navy fcu that I can't join because my father didn't retire from the military! Hello! He took a bullet for our country! He was attacked with nerve gases! It's kind of hard to retire from any job after all of that. Needless to say, I aim to contact the local media and write to the DOD, VA, and the President in regards to this. I think it's a slap in the face to those who get wounded while protecting us to tell them that they nor their children can join an institution that was created for the military in which they served!
Vietnamvetson69Vietnamvetson696 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
Rep Points: 12
3. Monday, January 28, 2013 - 10:35 AM
VVson69: I think you are a one-shot poster who just wants to dump on NavyFed and run.  I doubt you will be back to see this comment, but thank your father for his service. Hello!  If anyone has a right to be indignant, it's your father, not you.  You can bet he already knows that sometimes things don't always go how you want even if you whine and stomp your feet and want the rules bent just because you don't think they should apply to you.  He must be so proud that his service made it possible for his son to feel free to think of himself as a special little snowflake.
Anon1234Anon123412 posts since
Dec 14, 2010
Rep Points: 64
4. Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:52 AM
Wrong Sherlock! I'm not just speaking for my family, but all the families whose parent/s served our country and is denied a benefit because they were wounded by doing so. Vietnam vets like my father and their families should have been the first ones called to join by navy fed. after the way this country treated them after the war. It's so not about just me Sherlock, but his grandchildren and great grands that are denied. Don't give me that crap about thanking my father because if you truly were grateful for his service, you wouldn't be taking this opportunity to crap on offspring. Just because things don't go the way you want doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for what's right. My father came back from the war a different person. He didn't just get shot and attacked with gases, he was so ****ed up that it affected his relationship with his children. You see Sherlock, I am a byproduct of that war, so don't tell me what I don't deserve after this country took my father away from me. So I will whine and stomp because my daughter will be denied! My nieces will be denied! My nephew will be denied! Their children will be denied! The stomp starts here but you better believe it won't stop here! God bless America!
Vietnamvetson69Vietnamvetson696 posts since
Jan 28, 2013
Rep Points: 12
5. Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 9:09 AM
Off-topic for NFCU discussions.
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426