Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Capital One Website Down For 5 Days Minimum!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 9:09 AMCapital One Direct Banking
I've been trying to log into my Capital One accounts and it is impossible to do so through the website. One guy, at a complaint site says this:
  Mootaz Elnozahy · 1 day 1 hour ago
I discovered to my dismay that my checks have been bouncing despite the availability of funds, and I cannot get on line to understand why they bounced. It appears that this is far more serious than just a site going down. Anyone else discovered something?

Does anyone know if the Capital One Direct division of Capital One has gone insolvent???  Is it being closed by FDIC??? 

I also have accounts at the INGDirect division (CapitalOne360), however, and those accounts are working fine. I also have Capital One credit cards. All the cards still function normally, and, in fact, the credit card website still functions normally. Thankfully, I didn't have much money in the Capital One Direct account. I wanted to start using the checking again, but I won't now. I was also going to open up a business account with them, but won't now.

It is one thing to have a temporary problem, but being down for 5 days is simply incredible! Bouncing checks is even more incredible, when people have sufficient funds to cover them!  I am thinking it would be wise to close all my CapitalOne360 accounts, and the credit cards, lest a similar event overtake those divisions as well. What is most annoying is that the company doesn't even bother to post a note, on its website, telling customers that it is down, or that it is working on the problem. They only tell you if you call, when the rep. says "we've been having problems.."

Absolutely ridiculous!
ttolstoyttolstoy1 posts since
Sep 5, 2011
Rep Points: 19
1. Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 3:00 PM
What are you talking about? I just successfully logged into Capital One, and did so yesterday. Before spreading panic, did you even bother calling (you know that marvelous invention, the TELEPHONE) to check out why you couldn't access your account online, or why your checks were bouncing? Your last sentence suggests that you did, in fact, call. When you have bouncing checks, why on earth would you accept "we've been having problems" as an answer? That you expect people to believe that you didn't demand answers is "absolutely ridiculous."
WilWil242 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Rep Points: 1,285
2. Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 4:27 AM
I have the same experience as ttolstoy. Have a CapitalOne Direct Banking account and have not been able to login to my account online since last week (Mar 7). Login screen appears fine however once I enter my credentials and hit "Login", after 10-15 seconds I get an "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out."

Contacted the bank  on March 11 and they told me that they are aware of the problem and I should try to login again in an hour. I was like, "Yeah whatever, you have been down for 5 days, I doubt you will be up in an hour." Nevertheless I tried and two days later after this conversation site is still inaccessible. I asked customer service if they can fun my account via EFT from Bank of America and they said that the only way I could do that is if I login online and initiate the EFT myself. Obviously I cannot do that, so I am ****ed.

Search on the internet, showed that this may be a DDoS from al-Qassam Cyber Fighters’. Apparently they want some Mohammed video taken down from YouTube and this is their way of making banks pay lots of $$ to their customers as a result of the outage.....money to the tune of $800 mil.

What I find shocking though is that there are no reports of this in the media and the banks seem to be keeping it under wraps. I am no lover of conspiracy theories but this is my experience. By the way I am trying to access my account from Europe and noticed that lots of people complain that they  have issues accessing the website from other countries. So I don't know if people in the US can indeed log in.

Here is one article that came up: http://www.scmagazine.com/hacktivists-plan-to-resume-ddos-campaign-against-us-banks/article/283474/

When things like this happen you realize that the push for cashless society is insanity!

P.S. I just realized that ttolstoy's post is from 2 years ago...eh whatever.
BaleariaBalearia1 posts since
Mar 13, 2013
Rep Points: 2