Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Union Bank Offering 1.00% APY On Money Market Guaranteed Through October 2014

Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 6:34 PMUnion Bank (San Francisco, CA) - Details
Union Bank in Los Angeles is offering a special money money account, which it calls the MoneyMarket Extra account, guaranteeing 1.00% APY through October 2014 when you maintain a balance of $10,000 and a linked checking account.

I got this offer in the mail. I note, it seems this offer might be available only if you get it in the mail, as it says: "...bring this letter to our Los Angeles Main branch and open your new accounts today." Maybe you need the letter -- but not necessarily. You will have to talk with them and see.

I'm not even certain it must be at the main branch in Los Angeles, although my letter is directing me there. But I think that happens to be the branch closest to me, so that might be the only reason it tells me to go to that branch.

That is to say, just how narrow the field really is for this offer, only a phone call or in-person question will tell.

I note, I've gotten this letter in the past, and seen variations on the offer at DepositAccounts before -- and its always confusing with the details.

I have posted my letter at:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2151/it9o.jpg

You must open the MoneyMarket Extra account with at least $10,000 of new money (at one place, it says with money "not presently on deposit at Union Bank," at another place it says "Offer for new customers only." So who knows if existing customers can get this or not), and the checking account with $100. 

The combined balance must be maintained at at least $10,000 to get this rate. Below that, you get just about nothing. It appears you can deposit as much as $1 million for this rate (in other words, I don't have to consider hitting any upward limit). A monthly service charge of $15 is waived when you maintain $10,000 or more in the MoneyMarket Extra account (I'm not clear about any service charge on the checking account). 

You must open this account no later than Dec. 31 to get this rate.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,573
1. Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 8:58 PM
Union Bank offered the same MMA deal (with a 12/31 expiration date) earlier this year.  As an existing customer, I was permitted to open one (since closed), even though I didn't get the offer in the mail.  Other members of this site also reported that their local branches were allowing them to open one without the invite. 
OldGuyOldGuy49 posts since
Jan 23, 2013
Rep Points: 795
2. Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 3:48 AM
Me1004 and OldGuy, thanks for posting this money market account deal. I have an Union Bank in my town. I will probably approach them before the end of the year to set up an account.
loulou544 posts since
Aug 3, 2010
Rep Points: 3,397