Discover has been offering a $150 bonus or $200 bonus when opening a new Online Savings account since late 2017. (In early 2017, the bonus was only $100.) This current promotion runs through December 15, 2021, and is available to new customers only: existing or prior Discover savings customers are not eligible.
- Open a new Online Savings account by December 15, 2021 at this promo page.
- Use offer code OBR21 when applying.
- $150 bonus – fund with at least $15k* within 30 days of account opening.
- $200 bonus – fund with at least $25k* within 30 days of account opening.
- Maximum bonus is $200 per account.
- Not available to existing or previous Discover savings customer.
- Account must be opened when bonus is credited.
- Bonus will be credited within 30 days of the account qualifying for the bonus.
*The fine print on the promotion page reads, “Deposit into your account a total of at least $15k/$25k,” implying that multiple deposits can be used to meet the $15k or $25k threshold. According to CSR, cumulative deposits are allowed, as long as they are made within 30 days of account opening.
The Online Savings account currently earns 0.40% APY on all balances. The Online Savings account has no minimum opening deposit requirement. It also has no monthly maintenance fee or minimum balance fee.
While there is no Excessive Withdrawal Fee for certain types of withdrawals and transfers beyond the six allowed per month,
If you exceed these transaction limitations during any calendar month, we may refuse to pay each transaction in excess of the limitations. If you exceed these limits on more than an occasional basis, we reserve the right to close your Account.
We are currently not enforcing the monthly transaction limit on savings and money market accounts. Therefore, exceeding these limitations on more than an occasional basis will not result in the closure of your account.
Discover Bank’s ACH Transfer Features
ACH bank-to-bank funds transfer service can be a deal maker or breaker for opening an account at an internet bank. Discover Bank does allow large ACH transfers to be initiated from its online account center. According to the Account Center Banking agreement,
- Incoming limit is $250,000 per 30-day rolling period for each Account Center registered owner.
- Outgoing limit is $250,000 per 30-day rolling period for each Account Center registered owner.
- The limits above are subject to a combined incoming/outgoing limit of $300,000 per 30-day rolling period for each Account Center registered owner.
Headquartered in Greenwood, Delaware, Discover Bank is an internet bank with no brick-and-mortar branches. To qualify to open an account of any kind with Discover Bank,
Each Account Owner must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. Resident Aliens or other U.S.
person at least 18 years old and have a valid taxpayer ID and physical U.S. address.
Applying for either the $150 or $200 Online Savings account bonus must done online or phone, using code OBR21. This bonus is only available to customers who do not have (or have ever had) a Discover Online Savings account and funding must originate from an external bank account.
Discover Bank has an overall health grade of "A+" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas ratio of 3.84% (excellent) based on June 30, 2021 data. In the past year, Discover Bank has increased its total non-brokered deposits by $2.22 billion, an excellent annual growth rate of 3.68%. Please refer to our financial overview of Discover Bank (FDIC Certificate # 5649) for more details.
Discover Bank traces its roots back to Delaware’s Greenwood Trust Company, which was established in 1911. In 1985, Discover Financial Services purchased Greenwood Trust Company, with the Discover Bank rebrand occurring in 2000. Today, Discover Bank has assets of nearly $109 billion, more than 6.4 million customer accounts, and 415,000 ATMs spread across the United States.
With no direct deposit requirement, both Discover bonuses are a very good deal, particularly in the current rate climate. There are no liquid accounts or CDs that currently return $150 or $200 in 30 days.
- Earning $150 in an online savings account (current top rate of 0.65% APY) would require about $23k on deposit for a year.
- Earning $200 in an online savings account (current top rate of 0.65% APY) would require about $31k on deposit for a year.
The above information and rates are accurate as of 10/15/2021.
Not eligible for Discover Bank’s Online Savings bonus? Check out our list of the best savings and checking account bonus offers to find other promotions. In addition, DA readers and I also post on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.