UPDATE 4/26/17: Offer extended through July 31, 2017. Available online or in-branch.
UPDATE 2/22/17: Illinois and Wisconsin added to market area. No longer available in-branch, can only be opened online.
UPDATE 1/19/17: Offer has been extended through April 30, 2017.
Huntington National Bank (Huntington Bank) regularly features opening bonuses for new checking accounts. The latest promotion, Huntington 5 Checking® and $200, is available now through
April 30 July 31, 2017.
Qualifications for the $200 Bonus:
- *Open a new Huntington 5 Checking® account online, or in-branch using the promotion code that will be emailed upon request.
- Make at least $1k in deposits within 60 days of account opening.
In the past, there had been a unique link to the online application that automatically filled in the promotion code. This has changed: whether you open a Huntington 5 Checking® account online or in-branch, you must first request that the $200 bonus coupon be emailed. It goes without saying that when you do apply, you need to use the same email address on your application that was used to obtain the coupon.
Complete details about the Huntington 5 Checking® account are available on Huntington Bank’s website.
- The $200 bonus will be deposited within 14 days of meeting the above qualifications.
- Available only for new checking account customers, i.e., those who have not closed a Huntington checking account in the past 6 months, or current Huntington checking customers.
- Each Huntington customer is limited to one new account related gift per calendar year.
- There is a $25 Early Account Termination Fee if the account is closed within 180 days of opening.
- The $5 Monthly Maintenance Fee can be waived if a total relationship balance of at least $5k in a combination of deposits held by Huntington. (Eligible deposits include the Huntington 5 Checking®, Savings, MMAs, CDs, and IRAs.)
- There is also a $5 per month charge if account is inactive for 6 months. This fee can be waived with a minimum balance of at least $1k or for minor accounts.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Huntington Bank’s market area for this bonus includes Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
As the 28th largest bank in the country, Huntington Bank has 1,061 branches located in Illinois (1), Indiana (48), Kentucky (10), Michigan (359), Ohio (554), Pennsylvania (55), and West Virginia (34).
Huntington Bank has an overall health grade of "A+" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 4.62% (excellent) based on December 31, 2016 data. In the past year, Huntington Bank has increased its total non-brokered deposits by $20.39 billion, an excellent annual growth rate of 38.17%. Please refer to our financial overview of Huntington Bank (FDIC Certificate # 6560) for more details.
Established in 1866 as The Huntington National Bank of Columbus, Huntington Bank has grown to become the 5th largest bank headquartered in Ohio, with assets in excess of $99 billion. Starting in 1979, Huntington Bank began an expansion that included the acquisition of 54 banks in five states, the most recent being the 2016 acquisition of Firstmerit Bank, N.A. (Akron, Ohio).
How the Huntington 5 Checking® $200 Bonus Compares
Assuming $5k (no monthly fee) in the Huntington 5 Checking® account for 180 days:
- $5k in a savings account earning 1.25% for 6 months = $31.15 interest
- $5k in a Huntington 5 Checking® account for 6 months = $200 bonus
Assuming $1k ($30 in monthly fees) in the Huntington 5 Checking® account for 180 days:
- $1k in a savings account earning 1.25% for 6 months = $6.23 interest
- $1k in a Huntington 5 Checking® account for 6 months = $170 bonus
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for the Huntington 5 Checking® and $200 bonus? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.