DA readers are familiar with my blog posts on Huntington Bank’s (Huntington) long-running checking bonus (more about that later), but it’s been quite some time since Huntington offered a competitive CD. That changed this week when the rate on the 19-month Promo CD was raised to 2.20% APY. The Promo CD requires new money, with a minimum deposit of $1k and is capped at $99,999.99.
FYI - Huntington is also offering a 13-month Promo CD, but with a rather unimpressive 1.75% APY. The same funding and availability requirements apply.
In a Live Chat today, CSR stated that “The penalty on the 19 month CD for early withdraw would be 6 months interest.”
$200 Checking Bonus
The current Huntington 5 Checking® $200 bonus is available now through March 31, 2018. What sets this bonus apart from other checking account bonuses is that it does not require a Direct Deposit of any kind. Simply deposit at least $1k within 60 days, keep the account open for at least 90 days, and the $200 bonus is yours.
- Open a new Huntington 5 Checking® account online, or in-branch using the promotion code that will be emailed upon request.
- Make at least $1k in deposits within 60 days of account opening.
- The $200 bonus will be deposited within 14 days of meeting the qualifications.
- Available only for new checking account customers, i.e., those who have not closed a Huntington checking account in the past 6 months, or current Huntington checking customers.
- Each Huntington customer is limited to one new account related gift per calendar year.
- There is a $25 Early Account Termination Fee if the account is closed within 180 days of opening.
- The $5 Monthly Maintenance Fee can be waived if a total relationship balance of at least $5k in a combination of deposits held by Huntington. (Eligible deposits include the Huntington 5 Checking®, Savings, MMAs, CDs, and IRAs.)
- There is also a $5 per month charge if account is inactive for 6 months. This fee can be waived with a minimum balance of at least $1k or for minor accounts.
Complete details about the Huntington 5 Checking® account are available on Huntington Bank’s website.
Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Huntington Bank’s market area includes Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
Opening a Promo CD must be done in-branch. As the 26th largest bank in the country, Huntington Bank has 952 branches located in Indiana (45), Kentucky (10), Michigan (316), Ohio (498), Pennsylvania (53), and West Virginia (30).
Huntington Bank has an overall health grade of "A" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 3.54% (excellent) based on September 30, 2017 data. In the past year, the Bank has increased its total non-brokered deposits by $1.47 billion, an above average annual growth rate of 1.95%. Please refer to our financial overview of Huntington Bank (FDIC Certificate # 6560) for more details.
Established in 1866 as The Huntington National Bank of Columbus, Huntington Bank has grown to become the fifth largest bank headquartered in Ohio, with assets in excess of $102 billion. Starting in 1979, Huntington Bank began an expansion that included the acquisition of 54 banks in five states, the most recent being the 2016 acquisition of Firstmerit Bank, N.A. (Akron, Ohio).
How the Promo CD Compares
When compared to the similar length-of-term CDs tracked by DepositAccounts.com that are available within the market area, Huntington Bank’s 19-month Promo CD APY currently ranks second.
The above rates are accurate as of 2/23/2018.
To look for the best CD rates, both nationwide and in your state, please refer to our CD Rates Table page.