Academy Bank Reviews

Swelled Head New Branch Manager

Posted by: Saphira | Jun 28, 2019

You give someone a little authority and it goes to their head. I have banked with Academy for several years and I've never been insulted in such a way from other institutions I've banked with and still do, like this branch did. I've been with this bank through 3 branch managers and the last one transferred to another bank. So I was told. I've seen several tellers come and go. I was wondering why they have such a high turnover, but I'm beginning to see things clearly. The new branch manager "LIED" to my husband several times about releasing funds on my husband's 401K check that I deposited and was holding it for a week. We had the account for several years and it's NOT like we just opened it yesterday. Now we're considering closing the account. It's too bad bc most of the tellers are nice people. I found out from corporate office that it was up to the branch manager's "DISCRETION" to release the funds. My husband wasn't happy being LIED to.

What Happened

Posted by: abbymike | Jun 7, 2019

I have had an account there for about 15 years have always deposited my son's check made out to me now they say I can't deposit it any more he can't cash it either had to go open a different bank account to deposit his check after all this time I wanted to close my account out now but they don't have the money to do this what horrible service this is from Longmont Colorado branch I called the main number she said she doesn't see why I have been doing this for years but that it was up to the branch manager I was able to walk into a bank across the street and open and account with the check and my id

Academy Bank

Posted by: vsaenz61 | Nov 17, 2018

Academy Bank is the worst Bank to Bank with And their App is also the worst.. I would not recommend anyone to Bank with Academy Bank...

Academy Bank

Posted by: Lhasam | Sep 4, 2018

Academy bank is the worst bank to bank with. They put smart atm’s in so that people could make deposits after hours and the machines break down often. I went to put money in through the smart machine and it was down. I was told the next day when I came in if the manager seen that I came to actually put money in that she would refund the overdraft fee. A week later I look at my account the bank did not pay the amount that I got a over draft fee for the first time but the fee was never refunded. I went in to find out why the fee was not refunded the manager lies and says she never told me she would give me a refund. She said if I was there at 6:30 then she would. The bank closes at 7pm so if I came at 6:30 I would have seen a teller. So that proves she was lying. Now I have another fee because the merchant ran it through again. She said but this time we will actually pay it. I said that makes no sense it was short .39. Now because I have two fees it’s short 9.39 and y’all are gonna pay it. How???? This bank is scamming people out of their hard earned money and was rude in the process. Terrible bank to bank with. Go anywhere else but here.

Not What It Used To Be

Posted by: SBlair | Mar 1, 2018

I have banked with Academy Bank for about 10 years. Years ago I was looking for a place and decided to use a rental locater company. The company charges a one time fee and send you a list of rentals. Well they charged me multiple times. I went into the bank and they put the money back on my account for all, but the one charge that was supposed to go through. Now years later and I cancel a gym membership and the gym did not stop the recurring. I called the bank and in order to get my $167 back I have to dispute it by filling out a form. Then I have to wait 10 days to get my money back. On top of that, they have to cancel my card and mail a new one, which I will receive in 14 days. Things have certainly changed over the years. Planning on looking for a new bank today.

Work Hard For My Money

Posted by: vickiemac | Feb 13, 2018

I wouldn't give this bank one Star! Beware!
Listen carefully before you are mislead or it will cost you...Better yet go Bank elsewhere! Can't wait to close this account. But however there is a fee for that too. The wait time is RIDICULOUS for a simple transaction. I would not refer anyone to bank with these people Overall rating 0. Customer service reps over the phone could careless about your concerns. The reps @ the branch are nice just extremely slow and a few are not knowledgeable.

Academy Colorado

Posted by: greggcruz | Dec 23, 2017

Academy is just okay. I was able to get an account with bad credit. They didn't run a check I guess. That's the best thing about this. Because I don't think I would have been able to get another account elsewhere. They have branches inside local walmarts which is good I guess. I've used them a few times. Their customer service is nice enough. But their fees are really high. I have to pay 2.50 everytime I use an atm internationally. I do not like that at all. I usually transfer money I need out of this account to others in order to pay no atm fees. I have a checking account and debit card with them. I have done some wire transfers with them and they have been ok. Overall it's one of the banks I use as a backup to do local business. It's easy for people who want to give me money to deposit at walmarts.

Should Be Investigated

I have used Academy Bank for the past 5 years and am closing my account this weekend. Their team has arbitrarily removed my account access at any given time multiple times over the last 5 years with zero warning.

This happened once again this morning, when I had a minor emergency and needed to transfer funds from my savings to my checking account. Upon trying to login, I received an "invalid access token" error and was unable to access my account for 1.5 hours - that is, until I went to work. I was able to login at work, but not on my home computer which raises concerns about the security of my online account.

Anyway, I called this morning to try and have this resolved and was on hold for NINE minutes before hanging up - not ever having gotten hold of one person - and resorting to the chat option. I do not prefer the chat option because I tend to get an attitude from the people I've spoken with.

Additionally, their company changed the routing number on my account without informing me - I believe during 2015 or 2016 - making me late on my bills one month. After this was done - without my permission OR consent - I asked for new checks that reflect this new number, and their company told me I needed to BUY MY OWN - Regardless of the fact that I was supplied with about 5 books of checks when I first opened my account.

It is absolutely unacceptable to have removed access to my bank account without informing me, not once, but multiple times over the past 5 years and arbitrarily change my account information without ONCE letting me know beforehand.

Because of these experiences, their company has hurt my credit standing and personal finances. For these reasons your company's incompetence could be considered criminal in some circles, given the apparent recklessness and apathy when it comes to protecting personal information, not to mention the lack of regard for timely and clear communication regarding my account.

After these experiences, and after reading the numerous similar experiences from others, they need to be investigated for the seriousness of these issues.

LOW Customer Service

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 17, 2012

Bank employees refuse to accept Power of Attorney document I present on behalf of my mother, the account holder. The document is signed, notarized, and is a Military Power of Attorney. Bank emplyees are looking for the word "durable" while not knowing anough about the law to realize that this document specifically states what I can do to represent my hospitalized mother.