Alliant Credit Union Reviews

Very Good, Helped Me Out In a Pinch

A short time after opening my checking account with Alliant, I ran into a situation where my car broke down on a road trip. The repair shop that was closest did not take credit cards so I was stuck trying to figure out how to put enough cash together to pay for the repairs. I went to a nearby ATM machine with my Alliant checking account debit card only to discover that I could not withdraw enough cash to cover the repair expense due to a limit placed on my card. I called Alliant's toll-free number and spoke with a very helpful gentleman who explained that the limit was placed on their cards to reduce fraud exposure in the event my card was lost or stolen. He also explained that he could adjust the limit and asked how much I needed to withdraw to cover the expense. Finally, he asked if I needed to keep the higher limit or if he should lower it back to the original amount after I made my withdrawal (again to protect against fraud). This gentleman was very helpful and made sure I understood why the limits were placed, providing a level of service I have never experienced with a bank. This experience is the main reason why my primary checking account is with Alliant and they can claim me as a satisfied and devoted member. Oh, and by the way, I was able to withdraw the money I needed from the ATM to get my car repaired and we got back on the road without any further eventualities.

I've had a pretty good experience

Posted by: Peteypuff | Jun 14, 2016

I needed a secondary bank account, so I opened a supplemental savings account with them, and it's going really well so far. I don't have any monthly fees or minimum balance which are big points for me in a savings account. I have had quite a few bad experiences with hidden banking fees in the past, and I have yet to be charged for anything from Alliant. I'm able to deposit any money I want through their mobile banking, it's simple and quick and has been very helpful for me since I have a busy schedule. I'd definitely recommend Alliant to anyone looking for a new savings account.

I Found A Home

Posted by: Marcus16 | Jun 6, 2016

I have been with Alliant for about two years no and I honestly could not be happier. The company has some of the best customer service I have experienced, whether it be from a bank, credit union, or any other type of company. The biggest thing for me is that it is a credit union and that is what I feel very comfortable with. They also go out of their way to keep me informed about the services they offer. I am constantly getting email notifications on promotions and new services that pop up. I even got a call from a rep last week just asking how I am doing and if I was satisfied with everything going at Alliant. They asked if I needed anything and if they could help me. Now that is what I call great customer service!

My feelings towards my bank

I have positive feelings towards my financial banking as I have had good experience. Such as most of the tellers and other employees know me by name and are most of the time courteous towards me. I have a checking account there, and the interest rate is fair. There have been times in which I had to wait in line. I feel the best thing about Alliant is their security measures as far as making sure that I am the one that using the account through them. The way this works is that when they notice there is checks being cashed outside of my area. I get notified. Anything spent in another country the account automatically is stopped until I personally okay it. The one thing with them is I have noticed is that there is no after hours answering service.

Alliant CU - I'd Recommend It To Anyone

Posted by: ichaelm | Dec 13, 2010

This CU is so highly regarded here at depositaccounts and at FW that it hardly needs a review (which makes me wonder why I'm writing one, lol) I've had savings and checking accounts with them for about three and a half years. When I was doing the 0% BT game I had several hundred thousand dollars on deposit with them. I've never once had a problem. They always answer my emails the same day - often within an hour! As BankingGuy's weekly rate summaries show, their deposit account rates are always near the top of the list. They provide your credit score for free, and update it every 3 months. Your first order of checks is free. ACH transfers, both push and pull, are free. If you schedule a transfer before noon Central Time, the money will be in the requested account by the following day. There were 2 instances that they charged me fees for reversed transactions that weren't my fault. Both times I emailed them about it and both times they waived the fees immediately, no questions asked. They're big on education - an easy way to qualify for membership is to belong to your local or the national PTA. Every year they award scholarships to undergraduate college students who have accounts with them and computer certificates to children and highschoolers that are Alliant customers. Alliant CU is the former United Airlines Employees CU, which is why over half of their branches are located at airports. They have >80,000 surcharge-free ATM's and you can call them about your account 24/7. I've never seen them run a bonus offer for opening a new account, but with all the positive word of mouth advertising that they receive, they probably don't see any need to. The only reason that I'm giving them five stars is that I can't give them six!

What Is Going On Here?

Posted by: RichL40T | Oct 14, 2015

Alliant is my core account. That is now going into the past tense - I have voted with my feet after a nearly 10 year relationship.

I tried to transfer $75,000 out of Alliant using their EFT system, which was limited to a max of $100,000. Now Alliant has a maximum $25,000. outgoing EFT limit, but helpfully the inbound limit is $100,000.00. Truly a roach motel for money!
I inquired by e-mail to Alliant, as their phone system bounced my call twice. This is the email response.
---

I appreciate your feedback regarding the limit decrease. I apologize for the inconvenience and I have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate management.

This change was included in the statement message for September 2015. There was also a secure message emailed to members that initiated an outbound transfer over $25k this year.

Alliant periodically reviews our ACH limits and our members average transfer activity to maintain a competitive edge with other financial institutions while providing our members premium flexibility with money transfers. After a review of our existing ACH policy, we believed it necessary to make some additional changes to our existing transfer limits.

While we have no immediate plans to change the limits to the previous amount or a higher amount, we actively review trending for electronic funds transfer activity and will make adjustments when necessary.

Your inbound limit is still $100,000.00. The outbound limit has been decreased to $25,000.00.

Financial institutions may have different limits for inbound vs outbound transactions. Many of our members who purchase certificates want an option to transfer in larger dollar amounts to take advantage of our jumbo certificate rates. Additionally, to keep our members assets safe we must practice financial responsibility by placing a restriction on large dollar outbound transfers.

Great Credit Union

Posted by: Bdanner | Jun 14, 2016

Alliant Credit Union is a great alternative to using a big bank. I recently changed from a big bank to Alliant due to the fact that there was no personal service at the big bank. I was able to speak with a representative at Alliant right away about transferring my IRA funds to their bank. Everything was explained in great detail in a way that I could easily understand. The bank representatives where friendly and trustworthy. I have also had followed up with visits to and have been pleased with each visit. I plan to keep my money there long term.

Alliant Credit Union Saving And High Interest Checking Account

If you are looking for a good rate saving account so that you can freely take money out or deposit in, Alliant Credit Union is one of the best choices. the interest rate is 1.50% APY.

Or,  if you can set up a direct deposit, or reoccurance of monthly transfer from another bank/credit Union, you can get the high interest rate checking account with the same interest rate 1.50% APY, which is even better, as you are not limited to 6 withdraws as the saving account is.

Alliant Credit Union has kept their interest rate competitive over the years. Even though the interest rate dropped a lot compare to 2007 or 2008, it's still very competitive among all the banks and credit unions.

Alliant always on your side!

Though I have only recently been using Alliant Credit Union, they have offered my top support for the questions I ask and get straight to the point. Their electronic transfers are really quick(when you send it before the afternoon, at least in my case since I'm Eastern Standard Time). Not to mention, they gave me my $50 bonus for signing up with them really quickly! The only thing I had to do was sign up for e-notifications and do one direct deposit a month for a high yield checking account at a rate of 0.65%. I have had such a great experience and recommend anyone who needs a great credit union to join Alliant!

Best Service Good Rates

I moved my IRA to Alliant and opened other 5 yr. cds. I use the ACH feature as my hub--usually transfers funds overnight as long as the request is there before noon CST. Checking pays almost same interest as savings as long as statements are electronic and there is 1 ACH deposit in cycle. Free atm use at the COOP network.  One thing I can't stand--the non-stop loud commercial announcements if I'm on hold. Fortunately don't have to call them often. Excellent web site with edeposit.

Alliant CU - Review & Comments

Posted by: emdtech | Jan 4, 2012

Alliant CU is our primary CU for everyone in our family. Alliant’s IRA department personnel have been very helpful with setting up accounts and handling transfers from other institutions.

I would highly recommend this Credit Union to everyone. We have been with Alliant since Feb 2009 and have checking, savings, CD's, Traditional & Roth CD IRA's and Education IRA's accounts.

Excellent Credit Union Very Satisfied Customer.

Outstanding service, funds are available immediately, including mobile deposits. ACH transfer limited to 10K a day for the first 30 days, but after you have the account for 30 days increases to 100K per day. The customer service is excellent and very helpful.
Very good rates for the checking account and savings account. Next day ACH transfers (the way all banks should be), Excellent. No negatives so far with this Credit Union.

HSA with Alliant Credit Union a great choice

When I first set up my HSA account I chose my local bank up in Maine. There were monthly fees, minimum balances, and extremely limited investment options including a very low interest rate. I did some searching online and found Alliant Credit Union, which had excellent reviews. I opened up Checking Account, a Savings Account (for an added cash bonus!), and my HSA which is just a specialized savings account. Currently the savings account has the highest interest rate of any bank account I have, so I have begun keeping my liquid emergency fund cash in there. The HSA itself provides many mutual funds to invest in, which is my preference, and I split the investment between interest bearing cash account and mutual fund. The credit union overall has very limited fees which I don't think I've ever run into, and does have a mobile app so I can make remote deposits etc (although this would be the weakest part of the experience, the mobile apps feels very dated and sometimes difficult to use).

A Great All-Rounder For Everyday Banking

Posted by: codebank | May 21, 2013

I've had Alliant as my main checking and ACH hub for 2 years now. Opened an account because of the free HSA account, but soon trf'd all my transactions over to them.

1) Mobile check deposit - I actually get a handwritten paper paycheck (I'm the last person in America to get a handwritten paycheck)! Alliant makes funds available immediately upon submitting the deposit from my phone! Can't believe it!

2) I can set up umpteen ACH transactions, recurring or one-time. And I have 10 accounts linked. Never a problem. No costs.

3) Not that I ever use them, but they even sent a box of paper checks - free.

4) Secure message requests are resolved within minutes to at most a couple hours. Great customer service.

And I basically make the same amount of interest on my liquid checking as on savings (it's not much, but it's something!)

Plan to stay with this bank/credit union for the foreseeable future.

Good Choice Overall For Nonlocal Institution

Posted by: planxy | Jun 26, 2014

Among best rates historically on paying/receiving sides. 1-day transfers savings to checking usually to avoid running out of funds. Bill pay by mail service, low-cost paper checks. Responsive customer service which has actually been helpful in the main.
Good collection/payment hub for stockbroker transactions. Computer deposits of checks not working for me, deposits by mail with holds take a week+, the only difficulties. Join by PTA connection.

A Bank I Can Count On

I've been with Alliant Credit Union for a few years now and they have really done an excellent job. One of the things that I really like about this credit union in particular is that they have an excellent online system where I can check my account. Even better, their phone app is very useful. I don't have a smart phone, but I have downloaded the app on my boyfriend's phone and it makes it easy for me to transfer money into different accounts, view my balance, etc. I've only had one issue with this bank and that was because of some error that occurred with my paycheck - but it really wasn't even the bank's fault. The customer service was very helpful at that time to solve the problem. Overall this is a great bank and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Wow! New Member But Impressed!

Posted by: 99CUGuy | Nov 20, 2012

I just signed up tonight online (I live out of state). I had a question while applying, and even though it's the middle of the night, they have 24/7 telephone support right here in the US (not some call center in India somewhere). THe fees (or lack of fees) is impressive. Free ATM usage, even at non-member ATMs (free at least on Alliant's end).  Free checking accounts if you want. On the CO-OP ATM network (among others), so you can easily find deposit-taking ATMs near you if you're not local to them. And though it's not advertised, as of this writing (Nov 2012), when I created my account and was ready to fund the $5 needed (to open a Share 00 savings), Alliant even supplied the $5 free to new member, so I didn't even have to fund it tonight! One of the reasons I'm joining is that I want to open up an HSA. Not only are their HSAs completely fee-free (free unlimited HSA checks, free debit card, no HSA transaction fees of any kind), but they're paying interest: 1.25% (just about the best you can do anywhere without a monthly fee). Not only that, but EVERYTHING is laid out right there for you to download. PDF forms for this, for that, for whatever you need. No need to try to find them buried in the site somewhere. And joining has been a breeze. Everything laid out nice and neat. To join takes just a $10 contribution to a VERY good cause -- a foster home organization. And at least as of now, Alliant will even give you free the mandatory $5 you have to have in your "00" share account.

I'm someone who has a wonderful local credit union that I use for my everyday banking, but they don't do HSAs, so I did a lot of research, and found Alliant. They're as good, if not better, than my local CU, and who knows, in time I might switch most of my everyday banking to them. What I've seen so far has been impressive. The best way I can put it is, if *I* was suddenly the head of a credit union somewhere, this is the way I'd want to run it. Again, I've just signed up with them, but from what I've seen so far (from the great 24hr service to so many things being free without fees, to the fantastic, easy online presense they have making things so easy!) that I just had to come here and leave an initial review.

Folks, check this place out. It's impressive. You might just find yourself leaving your current bank and making that your new home. I can see by the other reviews here that others are just as impressed.

Now This Is What A CU Should Be Like! 5 Star!

Posted by: sfbayman | Dec 13, 2012

Great CU, the CEO values its members and the staff is helpful and kind.  Not to mention great rates, mobile banking, easy loan process with docusign and online tools, great savings rates, fair fees, tons of free ATYM's (over 70,000) and 24 hour live member service via phone that is quick and friendly.  Oh and they have mobile deposit and a nice online banking interface too!

So Far So Good, Could Be Much Better

Posted by: verity | Dec 5, 2014

I recently opened a new Alliant savings/checking accounts. Here are my impressions so far with their online and mobile systems:

Online account information and functionality is very fragmented and scattered.

Primary appeal of this account is next-business-day transfers. But that system is stretched over multiple pages unnecessarily, with completely useless selections before a transfer can be made (e.g. external vs internal Alliant transfers - that is not on one page yet for me it's the same thing; into/out of the Alliant account - should not need to be selected before the dropdown account list works).

Pending vs transfer history pages is not combined into one for complete transfer list. Sometimes it's not clear where the transfer is listed so both need to be checked. Again, completely unnecessary.

Upcoming transfer activity is not listed above the account where they matter, instead, it's hidden away under menu options.

Account information is not shown above the transaction list (like Ally conveniently does): how many more withdrawals this month can I make in a savings account, for example? What is the APY percentage, again? A quick glance should be enough, no need for loading additional pages.

Bill pay is very basic, and initially incorrect. I have no idea if it will really be a paper check (unacceptable for me) or the bill transition into electronic delivery. e-bills are not pulled automatically. I see no e-bill pdf images. Sadly, bank of america wins in this area hands down, they are lightyears ahead of this system.

Mobile banking log in does not work with Touch ID. Typing of the password is required every time, no pin, no Touch ID. After the password, the same keyboard does not work to log in with pressing "Go". Actual log in button has to be pressed above on the screen. That's a limitation of lazy programming, I see no other reason. No way to do transfers on mobile (I mean real transfers, to/out of Alliant).

Alliant holds great potential (maybe more than any other bank), especially with the upcoming Apple Pay integration. We'll see what the future brings.

Terrible Credit Union, Beware!

Posted by: mjohnson12 | Sep 2, 2014

Positively THE WORST bank I have ever dealt with. The representatives are rude, obnoxious and make you seem like they're doing you a favor even talking to you, even the supervisor treated me like trash (you don't do that to customers!) I only have one very old collection account on my credit report, and despite all of the positive open accounts they only seem focused on one collection account that is over 5 years old. Do yourself a favor and go with a bank that "cares" for you, like Capital One or Commenity Bank. Even GE Capital is better than these people. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with these clowns!

Best Credit Union EVER!

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 2, 2012

I have been a member for a little over a year and I'm extremely pleased with this credit union. My latest encounter just prompted me to write a review even though this awesome credit union doesn't really need one. I just have a brick and mortar bank (Chase) to do all of my cash deposits so that I can transfer them into my credit union for a higher savings rate. Chase closed my account for no good reason, causing my ach transfers to bounce and incur fees. I contacted Alliant's customer service about my situation (which was NOT my fault) and they graciously reversed the fee and replied in ONE day.

Thank you so much Alliant!

Good Rates And Great Internet Bank Features

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 14, 2012

Opened Savings, Checking HSA at Alliant based on great reviews here, high HSA interest (relatively - everything is pitiful now!) and good mobile banking solutions (eDeposits on phone).

I have since started using this account much more than my ING.

1) my scanned paychecks are available within minutes to me (ING=3days)

2) I earn nearly as much on accessible checking account funds as I do at ING for Savings money, and it's more accessible.

3) ING checks are NOT usable for eChecks, which I occasionally do need utilize. Alliant's clear within a day or two, just like a paper check would.

4) ACH's and transfers are reflected next-day in most cases if initiated through Alliant.

So far, I'm very pleased with Alliant.

Absolutely The Best!

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 23, 2012

I have been a member since 1966 (United Airlines Credit Union). Their services and people are the best. I am also a member of American Airlines Credit Union and Wings Financial Credit Union (Northwest Airlines Credit Union).

American Airlines CU has the best CD Ladder rates in this country, however, Alliant is better in every other category: checking rates, website, transfer of monies, IRA personnel, easy access, etc, etc. Wings is Okay, but does not compare to either Alliant or American.

Account Opening Process Not Very Friendly

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 27, 2012

You want to open a checking account? Great! All you have to do is donate money to this charitable organization over here, then come back and fill out this absurdly complex account application (which you get to fill it out twice, because we're going to time out your session when you go ask your wife for her driver's license number), and then we're going to deny your account application without giving you any explanation of why.

Have a nice day!

Credit union through my old employer

Posted by: Bubba132 | Oct 3, 2014

I used to work for an airline here in the Chicagoland area. I was laid off. Alliant Credit Union came in to speak to us a couple times at work. They matched what we initially put into our new savings account up to $50, so it was worth it to give it a shot. I liked the availability to my old job. They were available in the airport, and right next door to our parking, so if we needed something we could go right there. I liked the way our checks were deposited, and the images on available check faces. I did not like the fees, and I left them when I left the airline, because they were no longer convenient for me.

Great Until You Miss A Payment

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2012

If you have plenty of cash on deposit with Alliant, then their service is better than any bank's. But, if you miss a payment, their good service ends immediately.

Their practices at that point include:

-revoking self-service-telephone and internet access to your account so can no longer see your balances or track your due dates.

-restricting you from 24-hour telephone customer service so that you cannot attempt to reconcile your account in the evenings or on weekends.

-holding ALL your deposits 10 days, even cash ATM deposits, to minimize your ability to make timely payments, and to maximize their excuses to pile on maximum late fees.

-revoke your ATM access to prevent you making any cash payments or deposits.

Don't take my word for any of this. Ask Alliant yourself and be forewarned about how they handle missed payments.