Ally Bank Reviews

Beware "Raise Your Rate" Scam

Posted by: Maribago | Jun 20, 2016

Called today to raise my rate on a 48-Month CD. The Ally published rate ($100k+) for a 36-Month CD is 1.55% APY, a significant step up from my original rate of 1.35%.
But -- and this is the scam -- the 48-Month rate (unpublished, but quoted by CSR and supervisor) is 1.4% APY, way lower that the 36-Month!

By offering "Raise your Rate" incentives on uncommon (for Ally) maturities, this bank can defeat the value. Not a good way to keep customers, Ally.

Leaving overall rating at 2-stars, not 1, because my overall Ally experience has been essentially fine over the years.

In their defense, Ally is not the only bank attracting deposits this way. But it is a shady practice.
Beware.

They Blame Customers For Their Deception And Take No Responsibility. AVOID

Ally Bank has incredibly deceptive business practices.

In one example, they advertise FREE international transfers, only to have their intermediary bank (Chase), assess fees. Since Ally forces customers to internationally transfer THROUGH Chase, Ally is therefore charging fees, but they never warn of this or take any responsibility. Instead of understanding this, Ally pushes me to contact chase directly, who I am not a customer of nor care to be. They blame me and take no responsibility.

The only course of action after speaking to representatives? I would need to MAIL or FAX a report to their banking team - they claim they have no email or secured messaging (lie) support to do this, despite being an online-only bank.

Their website is full of deceptive marketing and probably fake reviews and ratings. I wouldn't touch this bank. And this is just one example of many that I have had since opening my account with them 3 months ago.

Beware Terrible All Around

Never someone to write a review but I literally search how to write a review so the public can know what they are getting into before going with Ally.

Where do I begin..

Customer Service, starting with having to wait 15-20 min to speak to a representative. To process payments over the phone they send you to a third party Western Union to pay the bill and a $9 processing fee. Drop calls.

Web experience, No online payment process. they do not make it easy to pay a bill.

Ally seems to be either behind in time or just not with this day in age. Literally update your system.

I would never go with Ally Bank if for any future leases in insure a car. I can not stress that enough.

Great bank for long-term savings

Posted by: Tjololo | Aug 8, 2016

I've had an account with Ally bank for a year or so now. I use it for long-term savings. If I ever come into a larger sum (such as my taxes), I throw it into my ally saving's account. 1% interest is the best I've found besides a CD or other, similar products. The only cons I've experienced is that it's difficult to get money in and out. Make sure you have enough time for a bank transfer, because it can take a few days. Other than that, it's been a great bank. All my experiences have been positive, and their mobile app is very useful. I have recently added their card to Samsung Pay, which is nice because my other bank does not allow use on Samsung Pay. I have yet to use it; however, I'll be excited to try it.

Disappointing & Upsetting CD Purchase

Posted by: Spaddy | Mar 24, 2016

I sent a large check to Ally to open a CD. A week later I received a call stating my letter had been received but there was no check with it. We reported a possible theft to the USPS, and contacted the issuing bank who informed us the check had been cashed. I received one follow up call from Ally, and were told the check was still missing. I informed the rep if/when the check was found I no longer wanted the CD I wanted my money back. Two days later I learned the check had been cashed by Ally, but no-one from the bank bothered to inform me. AND they had gone ahead and applied the check toward the CD. My wife and I were literally sick of what appeared to be a big loss to us. I know Ally has good rates. Otherwise I would have given them one star. But after our two CD's mature, we won't be dealing with them again.

Scary Place To Send Your Money- Don't Do It!

I set up a account with them because I had a large check come in that I didn't know what I was going to do with yet. So I followed there instructions for taking a picture and depositing it. Later that day they rejected it bc it included my husband 's name, even though he signed it. So my only option they claimed was to mail this now signed 20k check to them. After doing that I receive a email stating it was deposited. I go to look in my account but I'm locked out. I call only to find out on a Friday evening sorry we can't tell you anything about your account, only another department can and they are only in M-F 8-5. They wouldn't tell me where my money was, why it was locked...nothing. This is not a bank I would trust with your funds. I will be moving money as soon as they find it. I was never scared of a bank without a physical location until now. This one should not be trusted

Closed Account 1 Month After Opening

Posted by: jdmwdc | Dec 21, 2015

As others have mentioned the big downside of an "internet only" bank is they automate a lot of their processes, leaving you victim to their computer "logic."

My wife and I opened a new checking and savings account with Ally. About a month after opening it, they said they were closing our checking account because "per our conversation, we do not allow business activity on our accounts."

1) What conversation? No one called me.

2) The "business activity" turned out to me some extra books we sold on Amazon and two $6 craft ornaments my wife sold on Etsy (a holiday time hobby, not a business). Neither of these are businesses, but the call service rep just said she had no control over it and the account was automatically triggered to close.

Zero customer service, and a huge headache for no reason. Beware if you ever plan to have an electronic deposit to this account that isn't a paycheck, because they will close it on you with barely a heads up.

The credit union we transferred from had a 2.00% APY (twice what Ally gives) so do yourself a favor and join a credit union. Banks are just awful. We are going back to that credit union since we found out they have shared branches across the nation.

Strange Happenings At Ally Bank

Posted by: jimbeau | Jul 5, 2016

I popped for the $250 bonus for opening a 50K IRA account with Ally earlier in the year. They're supposed to post the bonus at the end of this month. However, they just sent me an email stating that I would be getting a $100 bonus.

I gave them a call and they agreed that the email was in error. I told them that they need to find-out how this mistake was made and send me an email acknowedging it. However, the CSR I talked with didn't have the authority to send emails!

So, I'm waiting for a reply back from the powers that be at Ally. This is something they really need to fix before the end of the month. Hopefully, this is just an email issue and they'll post the correct bonus amount later in the month.

If they don't get back to me within a week, I plan on escalating the issue. I don't want to have to deal with them posting the wrong amount and then have to straighten that mess out after the fact. This isn't much of a confidence builder, is it?

The Best of the Online Banks

Posted by: Shipper | Jun 5, 2016

My interaction with Ally Bank has been outstanding. I have had several accounts with them for several years and have always been extremely happy with their service and products. Recently, I became the trustee for my parents family trust and I found out that they had their money tied up in several local banks. Those banks were paying out a whopping 1/10th of 1 percent per year interest. I asked them if I could move their money to Ally so they could at least get 1% or 10x what they were getting. They agreed. Being that opening a trust account is more complicated than a regular savings account I had to call Ally's customer service department to get the proper paperwork. They sent me the correct forms and even walked me through the process to ensure that I filled everything out correctly and provided them with the proper documentation. The process was flawless and the account was opened and funded within 5 days. I wouldn't bank with anyone else on-line but Ally Bank. THEY HAVE A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE.

An Excellent Bank

Posted by: DC14 | Apr 28, 2016

I moved my savings account to Ally more than two years ago and I've been pleasantly surprised. Most banks pay a tiny fraction of a percent on savings accounts but Ally pays a full percent or more. The website and free app are easy to use and I've had zero problems using the app to deposit checks. Money orders have to be mailed to Ally to be deposited but Ally supplies a stack of pre-paid envelopes on request. The few times that I've had to consult Ally's customer service have been extremely positive experiences, especially compared to the horrible experiences I've had with my previous online bank. I was so satisfied with Ally that I've set up a direct deposit and moved all my kids' savings account to Ally too. Ally also allows up to six free transfers out of the account per month. As you can tell, I'm a satisfied customer.

Not Recommended

Posted by: kated | Jul 25, 2016

I have been using Ally for 2+ years. At first things worked great but over the past six months have had several issues with them including significant delays in processing deposits. I have tried to get these issues resolved with customer service who has been unhelpful and could not resolve any of the issues. This used to be a great bank. Changes in their processes and fees as well as that now depositing money takes close to 7 business days for the money to be credited to your account, unacceptable. I would not recommend this bank to anyone.

Ally Not The Bank It Use To Be

Posted by: cynabyte | Oct 17, 2015

Ally use to be good. But sadly this is no longer the case. They have raised fees. Put $10 cap on ATM fee reimbursement. They also are scandalous in there system. Debits are applied before credits which means if you have low balance and have a bill on auto pay and you put money in your account the same day, the bill is paid first and you are charged an overdraft fee which is now $25 a hit. Also if you have a Savings account with Overdraft protection with enough money to cover the overdraft but less than $100 they will not transfer money and overdraft your account. You get 1 overdraft fee reimbursement for the Lifetime of the account. Not monthly or annually LIFETIME OF THE ACCOUNT. worst of all is there TERRIBLE Customer service which btw is only 24/7 phone or email now. All the things that made Ally great are now gone. Best to look else where for your online banking needs.

Don't Get 1 Over Draft Or Else

If you get one. Their system flags your account with "excessive overdrafts" and holds ALL deposits for 5 days , and continues to do that for 6 months..
Only problem is, When you have deposits going in, and you have scheduled payments.... you guessed it, those will overdraft the account too. Someone isn't thinking too smart there at ally

Don't Bank With Ally

Posted by: lennna | Apr 12, 2016

I deposited mt echeck with Ally because they claim that the first $200 is available next business day. They held my check deposit for 5 business days saying that it was because i had frequent overdrafts. I've had 3 overdrafts that I paid back. No traditional bank holds money that long. I have an account with Wells Fargo and they've never held my check for an extended time. I will deposit at WF from now on. Ally just lost my business.

Really happy with Ally bank

Posted by: Ewischi | Jun 30, 2016

I've had a checking account with Ally for about two years, and I've been very happy with them. I've had no problems, and the checking account pays interest, which is nice. The website is clean, simple, and I've never run into any sort of glitch or problem on it. I particularly like the online check deposit option. I've used it a couple of times and was impressed by how quick and easy it was. Also, the fact that it went through in spite of my scan being less than perfect was an added bonus! I can't really say anything about customer service since I haven't had to use it! It's nice to have a checking account that is convenient, problem-free, and doesn't try to gouge me for extra fees at every opportunity. I definitely recommend it.

Started Off Great...Has Fallen Off A Cliff.

We started using Ally in 2013 and had great experiences up until the last month or so.

They have refused to embrace technology. No chips on their debit cards and no mobile pay options. Due to this, we thought they would be helpful and understanding when our account information was stolen. We had 2 fraudulent charges show up on our account, so we immediately checked to see if we had both cards (we did) and called Ally to report it within hours of the charge posting on our account.

They said they would look into and send us some paperwork via e-mail, which they did. We promptly sent it back and then received a verification of receipt. Great we thought...but no. We get a call the next day asking if we plan to complete the paperwork and submit. We told them we had already done so, so they looked into it and found it. OK. Annoying, but it happens. We were told to expect a response in 30 days. No provisional credit or anything. We were just out $600 until the reviewed it. Seemed like pretty crappy customer service to us.

I call a week later to check in on the status of the claim and find out that their is no claim associated with our account. They had lost the paperwork. So after 2 hours on the phone between me and my wife with Ally, they get the process started again. We are initially told it would be resolved in 3-5 days and then told it could be up to 60 days.

In an effort to clarify this discrepancy, we end up on the phone with a manager who asks repeatedly if we had checked the balance on our account recently (we had done so at the start of the call), but I logged back in to find provisional credits on our account. We appreciated this (it should have been done the instant the fraud happened), but did not appreciate being told about like it had been their all along and we were idiots for calling in.

Now add on the fact that we are trying to close on a home in the near future and I just went to pull out our money in a cashier's check for the down payment which we had been told could be mailed overnight and found that it would take 5-7 days. Despite being told that getting our money quickly would not be an issue in cases like this, Ally did nothing to repair the situation.

At this point in time, we no longer feel like our money is safe OR valued at Ally. We have told them this several times and they have not batted an eye. If not for the house closing process, we would have already left. I want to recommend them based on our years of positive experience, but now that we actually need our bank to work for us and give us access to our money, they have not been respectful or accommodating.

Closed Account Because They Refused Joint Account

Posted by: Markus | Dec 30, 2015

The site does look good, and works well usually (not always, especially on the iPhone). But for me the killer was when they refused to add my wife as a joint owner on their accounts. They refused to discuss why or take any input. It was also infuriating during my many attempts to communicate with them that sometimes you land on someone incapable of carrying on an intelligent conversation, who just repeats phrases that they seem to have been taught. In all fairness, some of the telephone help was good. But I had said from the outset that the account was to be joint, and they had said to sign up myself first, and then do the additional paperwork, which I did. They did not come through. Good riddance.

Terrible Customer Service And Operations Experience

Posted by: MIAV | Feb 8, 2016

Operations and Customer Service don't talk to each other. Huge ordeal to open a savings account, after 3 weeks of trying I got tired.

I used to be a customer 5 years ago, after this much trouble I found better rates and service elsewhere

No Fees, No Hassles

Posted by: steved | Jun 11, 2015

I've tried a number of internet banks--Synchrony, Incredible, Salem Five, UFBdirect--that offer high interest rates. Ally just makes my life easier. While their rates may not be the absolute highest, they don't have bizarre rules about accessing your money, don't nickel-and-dime you with fees, have solid web site/mobile apps and have 24/7 support with almost no wait time. With Ally, you feel like you are dealing with a large, experienced, competent bank. Other internet banks often seem like they are figuring out the business as they go along.

A couple other good things that are different from the other online banks I've tried:
1) When you use billpay, Ally deducts the money from your account when the check clears. Others deduct it when the check is sent.
2) ACH transfers are fast, and you have until 7:30 EST to request it. Other banks have deadlines earlier in the day.

Great for Savings

Posted by: Lpdusr55 | Jan 29, 2016

We were sick and tired of paying fees with our local bank just to maintain our measly savings. It totally goes against the whole idea of SAVINGS when you have to pay maintenance fees on your account and not to mention the interest we were receiving was nominal. So we decided to check out some of the online banks. We went to ClarkHoward.com and some of the other money adviser sites. It seemed there was a general consensus that Ally Bank was the best in most areas of online banking. So we decided to do a thorough exam of the Ally Bank website. We were very impressed and I loved that there were no maintenance fees on the savings. So that very same day we decide to open an account with Ally Bank and have been happy with it ever since.

They Like To Sit On Your Money

Posted by: J1mbo | May 1, 2016

Sent in paperwork for partial IRA rollover to take advantage of $250 bonus March 31. After 3 weeks I called Ally to see what was going on. Told me they submitted the paperwork to Schwab on 4/13. Schwab mailed the 50K check on 4/21. I don't see it in my Ally account after a week, so I call Ally. I'm told it takes 7-10 days to 'process' the check. I asked will I get interest on it while it's being processed? Response again was it takes 7-10 business days to process the check. I have more than enough in the account to cover the check, so why does it take 7-10 business days to 'process' a check without adding the balance to my account? Not happy with their speed of service while they sit on my money.

Great Online Banking Experience

Posted by: MilkSteak | Jul 11, 2016

I have been a customer of Ally bank for over 5 years now. I opened a checking account with them when I left Wells Fargo due to being unsatisfied with the service, and I have not looked back. Ally is very convenient for me to use. Though I cannot go to a branch to get help, I am able to do anything through their online interface. I can look at my statements, pay bills, send money to individuals, transfer money, and even deposit checks without ever meeting anyone face to face. In order to deposit checks, all I need to do is take a few photos of the check with my phone and submit it through their mobile application. The most convenient feature for me is the ability to use any ATM machine without a fee. Ally will reimburse any fees incurred by using an ATM to withdrawal cash. I have never been charged any fees of any sort and would recommend Ally to anyone looking for an online bank.

STAY AWAY!

On this surface, this bank promotes themselves as being friendly and easy to work with. That is true until you have your first problem with them. When you try to contact customer service regarding your problem, you will be lied to. The customer service rep will tell you that they can help you with your problem, that they will notate your account, and that the solution you and they came up with will be fine. They've just lied to you. The bank will start sending you threatening letters at least once a week. When you call back and talk to a supervisor about the problem and tell them what the previous customer service representative said, they will tell you that nobody at the bank has the authority to make an agreement regarding your problem. They then will tell you there are no notes or anything on your account to show you even called in previously. They will tell you that the problem has to be solved now, right that second, no matter what the other customer service representative said. If you can't solve it that second they will become rude. The bank will place holds on accounts that family members have with this bank for MORE than the amount in question. (In my case, the amount in question was $48. I paid part of it back and was waiting on my check for the rest of it. They placed a hold on my mother's account for $48 and refused to remove it.) It was a nightmare trying to deal with this bank for a problem that they started by double debiting a funds transfer. I had banked with this bank for over 3 years and as soon as this issue was cleared up I closed my accounts and my mother closed her accounts. This bank will treat you like trash.

They Double Dipped

Posted by: dschwartz | Dec 24, 2010

We opened an account with ally bank for a 5 year CD. They transferred the amount we wanted to fund the account with twice on the same day. We have called 5 times trying to get the second amount returned to us and each time they are very nice but the money has yet to be returned. It has been 13 days at this writing. We don't know what to do. So far we feel they are not to be trusted and we want to put the word out about it. When and if we get our money back we will amend this review.

Really Confused

Posted by: gbtexas | Jun 10, 2016

Glad to see a more than positive review of Ally. What confuses me is the extent of negative comments yielded against this bank. I've been using them for years....checking account, savings, money market and CDs. I've never had a bad experience. Yet to read some of the remarks made over a large span of time, I'd think that this must be one of the worst banks in existence. Hmmm.

Great Bank Until....

I loved this bank, I told all my friends about it, even had a few switch to Ally. I over-drafted my account twice, once in Jan., and once in March. My fault I know, pay the fee and move on, no big deal! Until I made a deposit by phone in late March, they held the deposit for 5 business days quoting "excessive overdrafts"???? Two??? Then again in May same thing with no additional overdrafts . That was enough for me. I figured I over drafted I pay the fee as my punishment and it was over, not with Ally!

Poor Customer Service And Difficult To Open An Account

Posted by: ceceheise | Jul 16, 2015

Had a very frustrating experience with this bank. Was drawn to the better interest rates but trying to open an account was not worth the few potential additional dollars earned. First - each time I called the reps took about 10 minutes to find my pending account. Next, not sure if this is industry standard but we had to do a global lift on our credit freeze. Then, despite multiple calls reminding the bank to do the credit check during the 10 day lift, no credit check was done! At one point I was told by a rep that I would get information about my account via mail, but of course nothing ever arrived. 5 out of the 6 reps I spoke with were incompetent and gave me erroneous information. I recommend you take your business elsewhere.

A True Ally in Banking

Posted by: Jsan | Oct 8, 2015

I wanted to open up a separate bank account for my freelance work account, but I didn't want to leave the house and I didn't want a bank who'd try to sneak charges by me like my current bank does. I chose Ally because they were well known and I was assured the process was painless. I was blown away at how quickly it took to open my new account. It was instantaneous compared to my other bank. There was no minimum balance to open, i wasn't being charged a monthly maintenance fee, and the APY was pretty good. One issue I feel I might run into though is not finding an ATM that I can withdraw money from, though it's not that big of a setback since I usually pay with a debit card anyway. I've only had my Ally banking account for about two months now, but I'm actually thinking of ditching my brick and mortar bank entirely now.

Ally is a good bank

I've had both checking and savings accounts at Ally Bank for several years, and am quite happy with them. They are very convenient. They refund fees from any ATM in the USA, which is a huge plus and has saved me lots of money over the years. I've contacted their customer service department several times over the years, by both online chat and telephone, and every time the customer service agents have been helpful and polite. Their website is intuitive and easy to use. I contact them before travelling internationally, and have had no problem accessing funds from foreign ATM's. I'd recommend Ally to anyone looking for a convenient and safe online bank.

Sure Go Ahead Give Them Your Money...If You Dare

Posted by: ptidd | Mar 4, 2011

I was convinced by customer service to let Ally Bank transfer $25,000 out of my local bank account to open up a new CD as they said this would be the easiest and fastest way to fund my new account.  Surprise, surprise, they transferred it TWICE.  $50,000 gone from my account instantly.  When I called customer support they said "oops, our bad, we will reverse the mistake within 48 hours".  Well, two weeks later, and no money had transferred back.  Luckily I was able to talk to my local bank president and she transferred it back because it was an unauthorized transfer.  I would not trust Ally Bank, ever.

Ally9_3M/F

Wished I had Known about the 9 to 3 hours 5 day week. IF YOU BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES THIS IS THE BANK FOR YOU: No Real Transactions on Accounts Except During Bank Hours?

Never Again!

My husband and I were trying to open a simple savings account. We spent an hour on the phone with them giving them all the info they asked for. The lady on the phone was profiling us from the get-go. Then there was a hold up. They called leaving messages to call them back. Every time we called back we were placed on hold for 10+ minutes. Only to find out they needed one of our phone numbers confirmed. After this they told us, "everything looks good." Only to receive another phone call that our Driver's license scan image is poor and they can't read it. What? At this point we went to Barclays website and applied for a savings account. The whole process was completed in less than 10 minutes, and our money transferred to them the next day! Ally bank has the worst customer service and cannot do a simple job, such as opening a savings account.

I Agree Totally With #4

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 18, 2010

I agree totally with #4’s assessment of Ally. I’m extremely disappointed in their continual conflicting and erroneous information … their failure to carry out my written instructions … their slowness to respond until deadlines have passed -- mistakes which always help their bottom line and hurt mine. It’s happened so many times that it’s difficult to believe it is simply incompetence … rather than deliberate orchestration.

Here’s an example. Last summer I opened a number of accounts which I planned to fund by having my broker wire the money to Ally. One day around 2:30 I called Ally and asked for their wiring information … telling them my broker had a 3:00 deadline in order to get the money to Ally that day.

The rep advised me that I shouldn’t wire the money … that ACH transfers were faster … even though I had not set up any ACH links! It took me a while to convince her otherwise, and get her to agree to give me the wire instructions. I asked her to please hurry because of the 3:00 deadline. Again it took her quite a while; she put me on hold several times. I had a strong sense that something was “off” but assumed it was honest incompetence.

A few minutes before 3:00 she finally gave me the wire instructions. I rushed to my broker’s website but missed the deadline. No big deal, I thought … the money will be there tomorrow … what’s one day.

You’ve probably guessed the ending -- Ally had known they were making significant rate drops the next day for all of my accounts. The amount I invested was in the six figures … so the loss in earnings was significant. I’ve never been naïve about Ally’s seeming incompetence and slowness since.

I don’t phone them … I get everything in writing … I print all live chats before they disappear … I print all emails in my Ally mailbox lest they disappear. It’s slow and tedious -- and still full of errors. At this moment there are three “mistakes” I’m trying to iron out. Naturally I’m considering leaving.

Ally is the LEAST “straightforward” bank I have dealt with in my very long life.

Great Online Bank

I have been using ally for about two years now and really love their services. They don't gouge you with overdraft fees which is a big plus for me. Additionally, there is no cost for a checking account and multiple savings accounts so I can use separate accounts for different saving goals without a problem which helps me organize. The customer service has always been excellent and anytime I had an issue it was resolved very quickly via their live chat support. The mobile app is awesome - I deposit checks remotely with it every month and never had any problems with it working. The only thing I wish they did differently was give us a debit card with that new security chip in it.

Great Customer Service Saved The Day

Posted by: BEE911 | Feb 12, 2016

I had a very positive experience with my online bank Ally. In complete user error, I hit the wrong fast cash button at an ATM and withdrew too much money. Seems simply enough just to put it back, but as with most internet banks they do not allow cash deposits. I called the bank in near terror because I had scheduled a payment to come through the following day. The representative was very sympathetic as she went over all of my possible options for putting money into the account right away. I ended up transferring money from a debit card with an outside bank that I had already preregister with the Ally for transfers. The representative was able to make the transfer right over the phone for me. Things worked out great, and I love my helpful online bank.

Not Easy To Logon

Posted by: PMiller | Jan 5, 2016

When you use a different computer to logon, Ally wants to send you a security code. However, sometimes the code doesn't show up and there's no other way to get it. You have to call Ally, and then they act like they've never encountered this problem before.

Poor Bill Pay

Posted by: SCram | Jun 22, 2016

Ally bank for some great unknown reason removed all ref to the payer from for all bills using their bill pay. So your transaction history just shows check paid vs. Baltimore Gas Electric.
Bill pay is supposed to make this easier. Why use it if they are going to make tracking your spending impossible.
Their response to date has been I don't know why we changed but we have no plans to restore the capability.
For anyone that expects to need an accounting (Medicaid) you will have to provide not only the register but copies of all the checks since they don't show where they went and reconcile. Good Luck.
Recommend you not use ally. Very poor service.

I Found My "Ally"

Posted by: JamesTate | May 17, 2016

I love Ally Bank. I signed up maybe 3 months ago and it was been a wonderful experience. The application process was super easy and only took minutes. I opened a Money Market account that comes with a checking card. I use it like my checking's account; I receive interest on my money and there is almost no fees. I was tired of getting hit with fees from my regular banks, and Ally has been very good to me and my family. I love on the website and app that it tells you how long the wait time for phone calls to customer service. I also really enjoy the mobile application. It works very well and I have no issues with it at all, I think I use the app for 90% of my banking. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a good bank with less headaches. I have only called customer service once and it was for a very quick question, but that was handled very professional as well. I can't speak about all their products but I am going to look into them shortly to see if I can get everything under one account.

Banking With Ally

Posted by: Aha | May 16, 2016

I have been banking with Ally for a little less than a year now, and I only have an online savings account with them. When I started my search for a new place to keep my spare cash, I did a bit of research on the web to try to find the best interest rate. I stumbled upon Ally and they were offering 1% APY. I had heard the name before, and did another quick search to make sure they were trusted. After this I went through the process of setting up an account which was pretty simple and only required a couple of phone calls. Their phone service was phenomenal during these calls. Since then, my deposits have been easy and the interest is good (compared to others). I would definitely recommend Ally Bank!

CD Early Withdrawal Easy

The registration of a 5 yr CD was easy and the redemption prior to the 5 yrs was simple and very quick. Will do business with Ally again when their rates become more competitive as they were in the past.

Legal Thievery Is Still Thievery.

I changed my payment account for my rent from Ally to Wells Fargo on 9/10/15. There was a mistake by the office staff and they attempted to take payment from the wrong account on 11/2/15. Honest mistake on their part, and I had dome my due diligence in changing the banking information in a timely manner. So when Ally got the request for payment, the refused payment. They did charge me $25 as a NSF fee. I am no dead-beat and have never had an NSF with Ally before. Thought I could call them up, explain the circumstances, and they would do the right thing and let me off the hook. Apparently they wanted the $25 more than my business because they refused the request. I closed the account during that call.

Ally Bank's New System For ACH Transfers - A Big Step Backwards!

Posted by: eric2 | Oct 17, 2010

Ally Bank is now using the Cashedge system for ACH transfers instead of whatever system they were using before. The look and feel of the website is totally different; transfers take several additional clicks to accomplish, and everyone knows that Cashedge is notoriously slow.

I filled out the survey and told them I thought this was a major disappointment.

Surprise Fee

I've been with Ally for some time now, but I'm dropping them because 1, they decided to hold a deposit for an extended period without telling me; 2, bounced a check because of that; 3, charged me a fee; 4, refused to refund that fee. And get this: I had plenty of money in the account to cover the check even without that deposit!

This is on top of the many errors they have made over the last year (which all got corrected, eventually). I overlooked them, because I knew that Ally had just set up their web site and an entirely new system, and were still working out the bugs. But this is just too much. What good is a relatively high interest rate on deposits (still well below 1%) if they can steal an undeserved "fee" equal to six months interest any time they feel like it?

I've had it with Ally. I'm closing my accounts and won't be back.

Satisfied.

Posted by: don89 | Oct 22, 2014

I have been a customer of Ally for several years now. I first opened an account at a branch in 2009. Since then my experience with Ally has been at a minimum satisfactory. I have always been able to easily perform transactions such as deposits and withdrawals. It is also extremely quick and easy to transfer money to one account to another. One of my issues with the bank is a shortage of ATM and branch locations. If this were improved upon I would be very happy with Ally.

Forget Your Privacy

Posted by: shangrala | Nov 21, 2014

Ally told me it would close my account if I did not provide a physical street address. I value my privacy, and I have a post office box which receives all my mail. This is a common practice in the United States and has been so for a very long time. Anyway, I told Ally to go ahead and close the account. There was no attempt to transfer me to an account recovery specialist, no understanding of privacy; it was goodbye to the customer, full stop. This is a despicable bank. That must be the reason why so much official effort is being made online and elsewhere to portray Ally as "number one," as if this bank is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It isn't. To Ally, the customer is an enemy.

Good customer service, but horrible website

Posted by: BBQgirl | Jun 3, 2016

Ally Bank has excellent customer service. When you call to resolve issues or do personal banking, they are very quick to answer and extremely helpful. I've only waited a couple of minutes on hold in the past to get a live person on the line. Only once did the original person not know the answer to my questions and immediately got a supervisor on the line instead of waiting to be called back. This is one of the best aspects of Ally Bank. However, they have an absolutely horrible website. It does not offer anywhere near the information that the other banks currently offer online. They really need to increase the functionality of the website to make it more user-friendly. Their fees and products are fairly competitive with the other banks. They are overall satisfactory, but could definitely use some help on the website!

Ally Bank is Easy to Use, with Good Rates of Return

Posted by: ATARIgw | Jun 2, 2016

When I moved to a new city to start a new job, I needed a new banking institution. Having spent a lot of my savings on moving expenses and significantly reducing my student debt, many of the local institutions or larger banks were above the minimum deposit amounts that I could guarantee moving into their accounts without incurring my own fees as well. With the advent of mobile deposit, and not having a lot of need for an in-person banking experience, I began considering the option of a web-only banking institution. I considered Ally bank due to their strong reputation of being able to provide excellent customer service if needed, and otherwise being a very simple institution to use. They have one of the highest interest rates on a savings account that I could find between comparable institutions that were available to me. Most importantly, they did not have any minimum deposits, or any monthly fees to worry about if I was not able to keep a minimum amount in my accounts. I currently use Ally for both their regular interest checking, and their online savings account. I have had no trouble using mobile deposit to deposit checks into my checking account. Their phone app is very simple to use, and I can easily transfer money between accounts within seconds. I highly recommend Ally bank to anyone looking for an alternative to a larger bank, and looking to both avoid monthly fees, and get a good interest rate on your savings account.

Not Bad, Definitely Not Great...

Posted by: apenn16 | Jun 8, 2015

We opened up our account almost a year ago. It hasn't been horrible, but it has been exceedingly frustrating at times. Especially those times when we need the bank's assistance, and can't seem to get it. Customer service is mediocre at best, almost like talking to an automated message. Their reps seem to have a script, and refuse to stray from it saying the same things over and over as if they haven't heard your response.
Some of our issues include a minimum 3 day hold on non-direct deposits (checks and/or transfers); Cashier's checks take 7-10 business days to receive; the sheer amount of information needed to verify your account and if your not the "Primary" - forget about getting anything done. We have a joint checking account but EVERYTIME I call I am told they need to speak to my husband, as he is the "Primary" on the account. I can't even access bank statements from my profile online or on my mobile, as these are only set up for the "Primary"!
Bottom line, some good rates and services, but their customer service skills leave ALOT to be desired.

Closed my account for no reason

I had been an Ally customer for over 10 years, never had a problem. It was a savings account, so I didn't use it much, just a few deposits a year. One day they sent me a letter and gave me 30-day notice to close my account. I called and asked what I had done wrong. They couldn't tell me anything only that they were closing my account.

Can't Access My Money = Cannot Pay Bills

I switched to Ally from Wells Fargo since they claimed the were not going to scam me or rob me of my own money. Last month I overdrew on my account by $8.00. I was in the negative and literally had no money to my name. I was in a really bad place and was unable to pay my bills. Within a week, I finally received and deposited a check for over $4000. I received notice that Ally will not allow me to access my deposit for over 7 business days saying I have overdrawn on my account repeatedly. This is infuriating. This is a lie. I have overdrawn ONCE! it has been over a week since my deposit and I am STILL unable to access my money- MY money. I have called Customer Service and have been informed it is out of their control and it was the "computers" doing. Yes, they were serious. Customer service actually blames the computers. I am now late on my rent, electric bill, car insurance, and school tuition. After I get access to my money I am closing the account and never looking back. Thanks for nothing.

Love Ally's Cds! Talk About A Generous Withdrawal Fee.

Posted by: speaktome | Oct 16, 2010

I went with Ally bank about 1 year ago. The reason why is because of the awesome 5 year cd rates and the fact that the CD withdrawal penalty is only 2 months interest.

So, do the math. If you can get a 5 year cd rate for even 14 months and then withdraw and get penalized 2 months interest, that is still one full year at a 5 year cd rate.

I also have really like their customer service, website, branding, and consistency.

Hooray for Ally bank!

A Great Alternative

I have had ally bank for 3 years and my experience with them has been great. The reason I chose Ally was their savings rates. I had a fairly large amount of money I needed to keep on hand but didn't need to touch for a while, and I was tired of earning pennies a month when I could be earning dollars. Since joining Ally, I have not been charged any of the ridiculous fees my brick and mortar bank tries to add on to accounts. After about a year of having a savings account at ally, I decided to open a CD and had a question. I was helped quickly by a knowledgeable customer service rep. One of the best things about their CD accounts is there is no minimum amount Their raise your rate feature is great because if the interest rate goes up you can lock into a higher rate! If you are looking for an alternative bank or secondary bank, Ally would be a great choice.

Ally Bank Review

I have been using Ally bank for around two years and have been very impressed with the bank and the online interface. Currently, I have multiple savings accounts as well as a checking account with Ally and use it a few times a month to make deposits, withdraws and transfers. The highlight of Ally, which originally attracted me to them, was the relatively high interest rates they provide for savings accounts. They are significantly better than anything I could find locally at a brick and mortar bank and in-line with other established online banks as far as I can tell. What I have been surprised with is the ease of use of the online interface and how simple it is to transfer money between accounts or to another banking institution. I have also been interested in their CDs as their rates are competitive with the market, but I have yet to put money into them. Overall, I have been very happy with Ally and will continue to use them going forward.

No Problem So Far

Posted by: myejunke | Dec 29, 2015

My experience with Ally has been very good so far, however, I realize that is maybe because I don't have too many needs. I barely ever use paper checks, I only have a few credit card payments each month, and I almost never use the ATM since I opened my account with them a few years ago.
I opened Ally checking and savings accounts because Wells Fargo was about to charge me an ungodly amount of "maintenance fees".
Opening the accounts were very easy and all my questions were quickly answered via chat. I love that I never had to wait more than a couple minutes for a customer service.
I've had the same problem as some reviewers here, of Ally putting an extended hold on my deposits due to overdraft. That was my fault as I had miscalculated the total amount of bills I had to pay that month and didn't transfer enough from my savings account.
So far, I have absolutely no complaint against Ally. We'll see if and when I have to start using direct deposit, or ACH, or wire transfer if I run into any problems.

A Cautionary Tale: Why Moving My Accounts To Ally Bank Was A HUGE Mistake.

Posted by: chris2882 | Feb 19, 2012

Here's why leaving my local bank and transferring my account to Ally Bank was a HUGE mistake.  I was scheduled to close on my home refinance this past Friday, and on Thursday I was told how much I needed to bring to closing and to get a cashier's check or money order.  I tried to get a money order or cashier's check with my Ally debit card but was declined at three stores because my daily debit card limit was $500.  I called Ally Bank three times, spoke with four representatives, and all said there was nothing they could do and to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week to find out if I'm "approved" to raise my debit card limit.  Really?  I told them over and over I needed my money in hours, not days.  Then they said to use my debit card "as a credit card" or "point of sale transaction" at Walmart.  I went to Wal-Mart and was laughed at when I explained to them what Ally Bank told me I could do.  Apparently their cash registers specificly disallow this kind of transaction.  I wasted my entire Friday trying to get a cashier's check or money order with my Ally Bank debit card and was completely unsuccessful.  I can't believe there's not someone in the entire Ally Bank organization at any given time that can immediately approve a short-term increase in my debit card limit.  Needless to say, my refinance closing didn't happen and the earliest I might be able to close again is next week, but guess what ... my interest rate lock will expire before then. Ally Bank has effectively forced me to surrender my locked financing terms.  If I hadn't left my local bank, I could have just walked in, got a cashier's check and been done.  Just as I told all four Ally Bank representatives on Friday, if I can't get access to my money by the time I was scheduled to close, I will close all my accounts and withdraw all my funds on the first business day I can, and that's exactly what I plan to do now.  This is a cautionary tale for those of you who may be considering the "internet bank" approach to banking.  No matter how convenient or customer-friendly an internet bank like Ally will try to present themselves as, there are simply limitations that apparently not even Ally Bank themselves can overcome to ensure their customers are getting the same level of service they can get at a traditional brick-and-mortar bank.

HORRIBLE!!!!

Posted by: cb | Jul 27, 2010

After setting up an acct with ally,  I then initiated a fund transfer to ally (using ally's online system). I called ally beforehand to make sure it would be ok since the 30 day time frame to deposit was approaching. I was ASSURED that as long as I initiated the transfer before 30 days, it was fine. I waited patiently for several days but received nothing from ally.. no e-mail, no phone call. I signed onto my ally acct. and now my balance showed a NEGATIVE dollar amount instead of zero. When I called them, they said my acct had been closed because I didn't deposit money in time! BUT.. they had taken my money from my other bank! Incredulously though, they said at the same time that since the acct. was closed that they DIDN'T really have my money! My "old" bank confirmed the monies had been sent to ally. MORE calls to ally.. they have NO idea where my money is or how to get it back! I go into my "old" bank and they actually spend a LOT of time helping me figure it out although they had NOTHING to do with the problem. With the information (ACH tracking numbers that ally wouldn't bother looking for) from my "old" bank, I call ally AGAIN ( I don't even know how many times I called ally). This time (after mentioning perhaps banking authorities might be notified) they miraculously are able to find the money! I am STILL waiting for the money to be returned to my "old" bank. Funny.. their claim to fame.. being an ultra modern, high-speed, web-based bank.. sure seems like BS when you consider it has been over TWO WEEKS and I STILL don't have my money back and they weren't able to find, track, or identify ANYTHING! I had to go into an old-school, brick and mortar bank and have a REAL PERSON help me! So, an online bank may give you a little interest and allow you to use ATMs nationwide, but JUST WAIT until something goes wrong! THEN you will wish you had a REAL PERSON to help you! The winner here is oddly enough.. BANK OF AMERICA (my "old" bank)!  haha! Caveat Emptor!

Give Them Your Money If You Want To Be Treated Like A Criminal

Absolutely, absolutely 0 stars if I could.
Out of all my experiences dealing with banks and financial services, I can tell you that Ally bank is by far the worst experience I've ever had. Do NOT be deceived by their seemingly high interest rates and clever marketing of putting customers first. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is further from the truth. I opened a savings and checking account with them, and because of the high interest rate, I recommended my wife and dad to do the same.  A week later, my dad's account was locked without any notification. When my dad called, the customer service rep refused to tell him why they locked the account, and referred him to a "fraud" specialist.  The problem is, the "fraud" specialist could never be reached nor would this person return his voicemails.  A few days later, both my account and my wife's accounts get locked - again, without notification or warning of any kind.  To make matters worse, I made the mistake of already putting in my hard-earned savings - over 10K worth - into the Ally account. Now these money robbing "allies" basically locked out my money, all WITHOUT telling me why.  Again I called, and after waiting on the phone forever, was given the same run around as my dad - nobody can tell me why the account is locked, I need to talk to the fraud department, and of course, nobody from the department is available.  Left a voicemail and..surprise surprise, no callbacks. I'm still trying to reach them so I can get my money back!

Keep in mind we're just a regular hard working family with absolutely no credit problems or criminal backgrounds. I have investment relationship or accounts with most major banks, both physical and online, and was never treated this way.  I mean there were bouts of bad service, but nobody has ever denied me money that's literally mine. I've never felt so abused by a company in my lifetime. Do you know any other bank that will lock your account and freeze all your assets WITHOUT telling you? I feel like I'm some sort of a drug dealer, and the FBI is cracking down on me. It's one of the worst feelings ever. To top of all off, the customer service representatives on the phone were incredibly rude, and they like to transfer your call without telling you that they're doing so.  Literally, they told me "I'm going to put you on hold," and the next second, I'm getting "you have reached the loss prevention unit, please leave a message." Absolutely infuriating when you're trying to recover money that's yours in the first place!  "Loss prevention unit," why does a bank need this when I'm the one who's putting in the money while they're holding it hostage?  And I need to convince them I'm not some sort of the criminal so I can get the money out!!?

Again, do not ever, ever bank with this company. Don't be like me, do some searches online first and read all the complaints. A bank like this deserves to go under.

No Complaints

Posted by: Skittles2 | Mar 25, 2016

Ally Bank is a really great online bank to use. I was first drawn to it for it's high savings rate. It is much higher than any physical bank near me. What is good about them is that their savings rate changes as the market changes. Sometimes it may go down, but it can go up when the market is better. In this way, it it much more flexible than a typical bank. There aren't any fees so there isn't a drawback to having an account to test it out for a while. It took a while for me to get an account because you have to apply for one so don't expect an account right away. My only issue is that depositing cash is a little tricky only because there isn't a physical location that you can go to.

UNAUTHORIZED DRAFT, TWICE. Very Upsetting.

Posted by: Leslieg | Dec 3, 2014

HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WITH ALLY TAKING OUT MORE THAN WHAT YOU SCHEDULED TO BE WITHDRAWN???
Just before the Thanksgiving holiday I made a payment on line as I usually do, but this time the amount I typed in and confirmed on my end was different from the amount that Ally emailed to me in the confirmation email. By the time I found out this had over drafted my account and left me in a terrible fix while I was traveling to see my family.
I figured it was just a glitch in the system and they would correct it. That did not happen.
After many phone calls and even speaking with about FIVE different "supervisors" they were not going to put the money back any time soon, nor were they going to cover even one of the over draft fees. Ally suggested I ask my bank not to pay the large amount and then I could make another payment for the CORRECT AMOUNT. So that is what I did.
THEN TO MY ASTONISHMENT THEY DEBITED THIS SAME LARGE AMOUNT FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT AGAIN YESTERDAY. At this point I'm wondering if there is something really crooked going on here.

Ally is my ally

After getting tired of my local brick-and-mortar bank charging me "service" fees, I decided to try out online banking with Ally. I don't think I'll ever go back to normal banking. Free checking and savings accounts with competitive interest rates means I can save a lot more than I could have with my previous bank. The actual process of creating the account was very simple, and transferring money to the account from my previous bank was a breeze. People who normally deposit cash into their accounts wouldn't find online banking useful, but for someone like me who does everything online anyway it's quite convenient. There is also a mobile app that lets me find local ATMs, and Ally will even reimburse me for ATM fees.

Great Online Savings Account!

Posted by: WinkView | Jan 19, 2016

I've had an Ally Savings Account for a little while now, and it has been a pleasant experience. I use them because my previous savings account was barely paying any interest, and I wanted the competitive interest rate that Ally offers. For money just sitting around in my savings this seemed like a no-brainer! The one downside I have found is it can take a couple of business days for the transfers to go through. This isn't a big deal for me because I have plenty of money in my checking account but if you would need to transfer a lot keep that in mind. Their customer support has been excellent the couple of times I needed to use them. I changed addresses shortly after setting up my account so my account was frozen since it could have been a potential fraud issue. They contacted me and we were able to get everything going again very quickly. The wait times on their phone support are always very short too (Less than a one minute wait)! I would definitely recommend them!

Ally Bank - No Action To Prevent Identity Theft Of Deployed Service Members

Posted by: angrymom | Mar 28, 2013

Our son is deployed in the Marines in the Persian Gulf. We received a "welcome packet" from Ally Bank and emailed him that it had arrived. He said he doesn't do business with Ally Bank and asked that we open the envelope. He said to toss it if it's advertising. It wasn't advertising. It was two accounts that been opened using his social security number. I called Ally and spoke with Dustin Price who told me my son has to call to report identity theft. I explained he's in the Persian Gulf and couldn't they lock up the account until he can reach them. He literally laughed when I asked to speak with a supervisor when he told me there's nothing they can do. The supervisor, Jason Parker, said I "might be the fraudster" calling in to report the problem. I told him I wish they'd been this cautious when they opened this fraudulent account. And how many "fraudsters" call in to close accounts, know the address of record and the date of the letter they just sent out. I am outraged that they will not take any preventive action, even temporary, to protect the identity of a service member overseas. I hope you are outraged too and will consider alternative banks and credit unions before working with Ally.

You People With Banking Problems Shame On You

I opened a Savings and Checking account with Ally Bank. It was very simple for I insured that the information was right. I was looking for free checking and could not find a bank locally without having to have a required balance amount. I was with Chase Bank who has been charging me 12 dollers each month. I easlily trasferred money to both Ally Account from my Chase accounts. I than closed my Chase accounts got a check and scanned it to my Ally account. All transactions went smoothly. You people having problems seem to be the ones making the mistakes and blaming Ally for it. Ally needs to be wary of fraud and protect your accounts from others who say they are you.

I like using checks for I want to update my account as I use it to keep my balance current. NO MORE PAYING FOR CHECKS they give them to you free with what ever number you want them to start with. NO MORE CREDIT CARD for I get points for using there's deposited right into my account. NO MORE FEES I can use any ATM in the USA..

Ally great job and you all looking for a great bank you found one here with Ally, I would ignor those complainers looking to justify there mistakes.

No Longer Revolutionary

Posted by: trav1856 | Apr 27, 2016

When they first came on the scene, they were great. Low fees, good service, no issues. Fast forward 3 years later. Their fees are online with the rest of the industry, they cut perks, and their service is terrible....I had to speak to 4 people to get an issue resolved that was their fault. I'm closing my account and going back to my old bank, Their product is no longer revolutionary, they're just like every other bank now

Ally Bank

Posted by: Rico55 | Apr 27, 2016

I switched over to Ally bank around 6 months ago and could not be happier with the accounts and customer service. It took around 20 minutes to open a interest checking and interest savings account and around 4 days for my debit card to arrive. The interest checking is exceptional in that it does not charge any fees and I actually get .1% back a year. To compare that to my previous bank, I was making .01% with my savings and am now receiving ten times the interest in my checking account. The debit card is a master card and has wide usability making this account amazing to say the least. The savings account was the main reason I switched over. As I said previously, my old bank was giving me .01% for savings. I receive 1% in interest a year from Ally. This rate ranks among the highest of all the banks. Overall I would highly recommend Ally Bank due to the rates and amazing customer service.

Terrible! Avoid At All Costs!

Posted by: miller8179 | Dec 4, 2012

Spent 2 weeks setting up account, sending in signature cards, etc. After my employer direct deposited my first check ally closed down our account claiming we had "business activity" because of the direct deposit! Then the lady Nicole in the fraud department was absolutely rude to us and treated us terribly. She wouldn't listen, continued to talk over us, etc. These people are insane! Avoid at ALL costs!

Best Bank Ever

Posted by: PatrickD1 | Jun 26, 2016

I have been banking with Ally for over 3 years now and I have never had problem with them at all. Ally offers a ton of features that other banks charge you a fee for, but Ally includes them for free. Not to mention it is the only online bank I have found that will offer you a free checking account that gains interest over time. Yes, I said their free checking account gains interest where as other banks you are lucky to just get a free checking account. On top of that, they also offer some of the highest yielding interest on basic savings accounts as well.

I can always count on getting the correct answer from them to all my questions I might have. It is easy to contact whether by phone, computer or app. I can always get the answers I need.

You will be hard pressed to find a better online institute that manages to balance great customer service with free useful features and also helps grow your money at the same time.

Not Your "Ally" When It Comes To Service

Posted by: Patticus | May 25, 2013

I'm sorry to say that, after being a customer for over two years and singing Ally's praises to groups of friends and on social media, I'm leaving Ally Bank within the next two weeks. I had great service when they first launched, but recently I was attempting to get a larger sum of money out of my account (because I needed to put a deposit down on an apartment). After picking numerous touch tone options and speaking to three people, I was moved to Phil, a supervisor.

He was awful. Absolutely awful.

I was clearly upset and stressed, but Phil showed about the level of empathy as a desk fan. Rather than trying to talk through different options, Phil chose to repeat the same terms and service information over and over again. At no point did he apologize for the inconvenience or explain why my limit could not be raised. He just kept being exceptionally rigid and condescending.

Look, I get that there are fraud protections in place for cash withdrawals. I do, and I appreciate the concern. Yet, for some reason when I called back and spoke with Katelyn the story was completely different. All of a sudden there were options. We could go through the fraud department, but we could also wire the money, figure out a debit arrangement, set up a transfer to another bank for certified checks, among others.

To make matters worse, Phil then did what I can only assume is an act to get me off the phone, claiming that reception had been lost. Funny how reception is lost when I had full 4G bars and could actually here my echo in the Ally phone system (I make calls from the same location all day, every day - never a problem). I then heard him announce that the connection must have been lost and that he was hanging up, which then lead to the last straw - he didn't try to call me back.

If someone is upset and you lose a connection, the sign of great customer service is you calling someone back and not forcing them to go through the phone tree again. If Ally wants to treat me like a number, because they're growing, then that's fine, but don't claim to be my "ally" and all about service.

To summarize, the product is great and you do get good rates (relatively), but when it counts, Ally is awful. You should use another bank.

Closed Ally Accounts

Closed Ally accounts after they put a fraud freeze on my accounts and would not tell me what was going on even after going through all the verification and wanted me to wait till the next day to talk to someone in fraud department. Finally that evening I got to a supervisor who  revealed only the joint account was blocked because the other signer had reported correspondence came from Ally unsealed by their mailing service.  They never told the other signer they were blocking that account.   It's not acceptable to deny access to liquid funds without notifying the account owner and explaining what to do about the freeze.

Don't Rely On Them For Timely Transactions

Posted by: mvaleri | May 22, 2015

Ally bank really let us down. We are supposed to close on our house Tuesday morning at 10:00 a.m. Today we finally get the HUD-1 statement outlining our closing costs. The only way to wire funds from Ally is to fax a form, which states at the top if the form is received and verified by 3:00pm your wire will be sent the same day. We faxed our form at 11:45 a.m. We called Ally around 2:00 to verify that it would be processed today - we were told yes, they had received it and would make sure it would happen today. We call again at 4:00 to verify that it went through and NOPE, it was not processed today and there is no longer anyone in the wire department. They were "extremely busy" so there was not even a supervisor for us to speak with. We were guaranteed a call back from a supervisor within an hour and that did not happen either. Our closing is now pushed until later in the day on Tuesday, with the hope that Ally will process it first thing on Tuesday- we'll see if that even happens. An online bank needs the staff to handle the quantity of requests they receive. Since Ally does not have physical banks, I cannot get my money any other way. As soon as this is settled we are closing our accounts at Ally. If you bank with Ally, don't count on anything happening in a timely manner.

The Savings Account at Ally Bank

I have held a savings account at Ally Bank for a couple of months now, and it has been one of the best changes I have made with regards to my money recently. The rates are fantastic for what is a simple savings account, with the APR rate of 1%. I had previously been using a branch savings account that netted me an interest rate below 0.05%. This alone was the reason I switched to Ally Bank. Also, the customer service is fantastic. It was very easy to use their online chat and have all of my questions answered. I have not tried any of the other options, because this online chat service has worked so well. The industry standard applies when it comes to fees and restrictions so there was no drop off in that concern. Overall, I am extremely pleased that I have switched to Ally, and would recommend anyone who is simply opening a savings account to do the same.

Unreliable Website - Ally

I went into a local bank and opened up an account on 8/19/11.  As of today I have cleared out all but $20 of a total of $55,000 between checking and savings.

Why?  Because their website was down.

When I contacted Ally on 8/18 I was told they were having problems and could not estimate when the issues would be resolved.  I told Ally this was unforgivable for Internet banking -- with no brick and mortar locations to visit to resolve any issues.  They gave no apology and no estimated time when the problems would be resolved.  Good bye Ally -- even with the higher interest rates--they need to realize that we need to take care of business.

Horrible For Iras

Ally is okay for general banking and savings, but they’re horrible for IRAs. They call themselves an online bank, but for depositing funds into IRAs they strictly do snail mail, and their customer service reps love to play the “blame the post office” for their slowness. Forget about those last minute deposits in April for the previous tax year. I got burned on that once before, and this year gave it two weeks, but so far, after 8 days they are still claiming they’ve received nothing.

Even if you just want to transfer funds from another Ally account to your IRA, the “online” form is very deceiving. You fill in the pertinent information and then all it does is generate a PDF file for you to print and (snail) mail!

There are plenty of other institutions where you can add to your IRA via a smartphone app. I’ll be moving my IRA before the end of the year.

Watch Out! Double Check Their Math!

Posted by: lewis | May 3, 2011

I recently did an early closure of two CDs at Ally Bank. Before I closed them I was able to look at the accounts online and see how much I was supposed to receive for an early closure (principal plus interest minus penalty).

Much to my surprise, after I closed them I got a LOWER amount deposited into my checking account. It was about 1% off of where it should have been, which is actually less than the amount I had originally deposited in the CDs!! (They hadn't been open long)

I emailed them to complain and in a day or two they reversed that deposit and then deposited MORE money into my checking than I thought I was due. There was never any explanation given for how they came up with this amount, how they had come up with the previous amount, or how the error had happened in the first place. Nor did they apologize for screwing up.

I have used Ally for several years but this is the last straw. I just do not trust them anymore. I am closing all my accounts and moving to Alliant CU for my hub account.

Allied with Ally

Ally Bank is the first online bank that I ever used. It was a big deal at the time as not many banks didn't have brick and mortar fronts. I thought I would miss the security of being able to go into a bank. What I realized is that I hate going to banks. It's almost never a positive experience and Ally has provided me with that, a positive experience.

The best thing you can say about a bank is that they never make mistakes. Ally has never made a mistake with me. I would recommend them to anyone.

Great Primary Bank

Posted by: GraydonL | Jan 1, 2015

Ally is the best online bank if your only needs are checking and savings accounts. For my other banking needs, I maintain a small second account at a local Credit Union. Ally has the most competitive interest rates, and since I keep more than $15K in my checking account it has a higher interest rate than most savings accounts. I enjoy not paying for my checks, since I use exactly one check a month for rent. My credit union wants to charge me $30 for a package of 300. Why would I need that many? Ally makes it easy for me to transfer money to my credit union accounts (for free) or to friends (also for free via PopMoney.) The only time I use Ally's mobile app is when I am depositing a check. That mobile check deposit is a really convenient feature, but doesn't let me control my camera flash, so it can take some lighting setup. For Andorid, they have not updated the app in quite some time, so I tend to avoid it. My girlfriend uses the iOS app and it's really sleek. Whether online or on mobile, they have their call center wait time listed, and I have never waited more than two minutes before reaching an actual human. There are a couple of negatives. For one, they do not do loans unless it's for a GM branded car. They do not do mortgages. And to deposit cash requires sending in an envelop. But these are not everyday banking needs in my life, and why I maintain a small second account with my local credit union. In summation, high interest rates, an easy to use website, and quick customer service are the three reasons that I am super happy with Ally as my primary bank. Oh, and I almost forgot one of the best parts! I rarely use cash, but in the rare instance that I need some (Vegas!) I can rest easy knowing that any ATM fees I run into will be reimbursed to me at the end of the month. Thanks Ally!

Very Pleased With Ally

This is the bank I am using to manage my ailing elderly fathers funds with. The customer service is great here, and they answer questions I thought they couldn't. I'm very happy with my experience, and I was able to manage my father's funds for him very efficiently. I was also able to take money out of a savings account for a hospital bill when I thought it was unavailable. I would have been in a financial struggle without this bank and the help of their awesome customer service team! I couldn't be happier, and would definitely say to anyone looking for an online bank that this one is by far the best choice you could ever make. Their log in process is even easy, and with a secure website I don't have to worry about my account being compromised.

Bank that really cares about its customers

Posted by: DezD | Jun 10, 2016

I have been a customer of Ally Bank for over three years and truly believe that this bank has my best interests at heart. Not only is their website and mobile application very user-friendly, they have the quickest customer service of any industry I have tried to contact before. I also appreciate that Ally will not charge me every individual day that my balance is overdrawn, as this has happened to me unexpectedly on occasion, there is just a one time fee for account over drafting. My checking and savings account are both without a monthly or yearly fee which is also a blessing, as I have had banks in the past charge both of these type of fees. This bank is extremely fair with their fees and I have never had a complaint towards them. I plan to stay at Ally for life!

Best Online Banking Experience with Excellent Customer Service

I've been a member of Ally Bank for about 6 months now. I initially signed up a year ago but did not follow through with the first deposit. I went back after my previous bank kept charging overdraft fees when the money was in the bank due to the way they reset the pending balances at night. I am so glad I did. I had a problem at first trying to create a new account online because of the previous account I tried to open. I called customer service and they were so friendly and helpful. They were able to help me out and let me know what additional information I needed to reopen the old account as well as the information I needed to open another joint account with my spouse. Both accounts were ready to use within a few days. Transferring money from my old bank was a breeze! I love Ally and its customer service. They are truly a great online bank!

Worst Bank In The World!

I wish I could give them zero stars.  My husband and I have been trying for OVER 5 MONTHS NOW, from Ally to a brokerage firm.  They keep coming up with reasons why they won't release our funds.  Be forewarned, the incompetance runs rampant here!!!

Highest interest

Posted by: StanleyFox | Jan 6, 2015

I have been a long-time Capital One 360 customer (formerly ING Direct) but am moving most of my business to Ally. Ally has the highest interest rates, live chat (fast response) and the ability to have multiple accounts so you can have one for vacation, one for home improvement, emergency fund, etc. Just be sure to open the welcome packet they send you, there's a signature card that you have to return.

Awful Service, But Friendly Representatives

Posted by: bejawe | Mar 8, 2012

I had the most frustrating experience with Ally. After completing my application, I was asked to give them a call to finalize some things. Their systems were "down" for several hours and, on my sixth call to them, they told me that I needed to fax a copy of my driver license to verify my address. I told them that my driver license has an old address on it because, like many other states, New York does not issue a new driver license when you move; they simply have you write the new address on the back. The representative then asked me to fax a copy of my utility bill, which I did. After two days of hearing nothing, I called back and asked for a status update. The representative said that they received a fax of my utility bill but no one knew why I was sending it in and they closed my application. She then told me that I needed to fax a copy of my driver license --- I, of course, repeated the story for the tenth time. She put me on hold and then came back and suggested that I go to the DMV and request a new driver license. When I told her that New York doesn't requrie this, she then told me that I am not able to open an account until I move to a new state. I was furious! I ended up going to Charles Schwab Bank, which opened the account for me without any problem and has been providing me with EXCELLENT service!

Horrible Checking Accounts

Posted by: Nick1982 | Sep 16, 2015

Pros:
No Fees

Cons:
-No access to money in emergency
-If card is cancelled due to fraud, there is no way to retrieve money efficiently. Bank wire is 20.00 dollars and can ONLY be received by fax
-Only withdraw $800.00 from ATM even though there is no brick and mortar to get your money another way
-Literally no access to your money unless you want to wait 5 - 10 business days

New Site Design Is Meh

Update - glitch causing missing running balance went away. Everything I normally use is well hidden, but found. Still don't like a merged 'both PC and Mobile" web design.
Prior:
They seem to have stripped the site so it could work well on a mobile phone.
Now (apparently) missing:
Running balance along side transactions.
Ability to search transactions.
Ability to download transactions.

Ally is one of the best internet banks

Posted by: regularguy | Jun 1, 2015

I started using Ally as my regular bank account a little over two years ago and I am glad for the switch. Since then I have officially dumped my bank account with a national brand because the fees were unreasonable for what they were really offering me. I have had no issues with ally with no inconvenience of not having a brick and mortar bank.

High praise for Ally Bank

Posted by: Brock25 | Aug 31, 2015

The thing that drew me to Ally Bank was their competitive interest rates on both their savings and checking account. Since they have no physical locations they are able to offer interest rates that are higher than any other bank that I researched. In some cases their savings interest rate was double what their competitors are offering. I also like the fact that since they are designed to serve completely online, they offer customer service 24/7. The customer service number is permanently displayed next to the Ally logo on the banner on every webpage. As an extra bonus it shows the estimated wait time. I have been a customer for over a year and I have never seen the wait time over 5 minutes. Whenever I have called the stated time has been accurate. Each time the representative has been friendly and helpful. Ally also just redesigned their account displays. It looks very modern and is easy to navigate. The feature that I like the most appears right after you sign in to your account. The total amount in your accounts is displayed in a colorized pie chart, with the different colors indicating what portion of your money is in which account. I would highly recommend Ally Bank to everyone.

Ally Online Savings Account

Posted by: Nick512 | Nov 30, 2015

Ally Bank Online Savings Account is definitely one of the best saving account in the country with a extremely high savings rate of 1.00% beating almost all of the banks in the country

Before using Ally Savings account, I had several savings account with other big banks. But the interest I earned was so pathetically low so I knew I had to switch to other account. A quick google for the best savings account and ally bank named popped out. The best thing about ally was that it had a great savings rate but on top of that no fees or no minimum deposit. This was crucial for me as I wanted to test it out first with small amount. I have to say I have probably earned more money from ally in one month than with my original bank in a year. The process of opening account was very quick. The only downside is that there is no way to deposit cash so you do need to transfer from another bank which is 2 - 3 day process. The website is very intuitive and simple. All in all a great bank.

Rates Are Decent But Beware Of Their Poor Internal Accounting

Posted by: Matt | Nov 17, 2011

I have 3 CDs and a savings account at Ally. I've had no issues with the CDs to date and was given a great rate with a low early withdrawal penalty should I one day need access to the funds. I also have a savings account with them that I used to like and use regularly, but currently I only have $1 sitting in it. The reason for that is that several months ago when randomly logging in to check my balance, low and behold, my account mysteriously was showing a NEGATIVE value of nearly $49,000! When I called Ally to figure out what was going on, the rep had no idea how a negative balance could even be possible (nor did I!). After much wrangling and cursing with a manager, a few days later Ally finally determined that they had made an internal error and had mistakenly deducted $50,000 from my account that should have been deducted from some other customer's account that had a similar account number. I respect the fact that Ally did ultimately resolve the issue properly and they did provide a written letter apologizing for the error. However, one would think their system would be properly designed to catch when a deduction is taking an account $49,000 into the HOLE. That I simply can't live with. I'm happy to let them keep my CDs since (I hope) they can't screw those up, but I have no desire to use the savings account anymore after such a debacle... trust is difficult to restore once broken.

Closed my account for no reason

I was an Ally customer for over 10 years. I had a savings account with them since I was in college and I always kept a nice balance in the account (over $10K). I didn't use the account much. I usually transferred money from checking to this savings account once a month or so. Everything was great for over 10 years then all the sudden I got a letter in the mail that said they were closing my account in 30 days. I had never caused them trouble, never once overdrew my account, never had any sort of problem. It must be a mistake! I called them right away and was willing to work out whatever problem they had with me. The customer service agent was surprised I received such a letter. He put me on hold for about half an hour then came back to say Ally doesn't want to do business with me anymore because they don't have to do business with me. Their way of treating a loyal customer made me speechless.

I Love Ally

I have nothing negative to report about my experiences with Ally. Whenever I need to talk to someone, be it by online chat or phone, I always reach someone quickly. Best of all, they are in the US and are easy to understand. I'm not against talking to outsourced employees, but it makes explaining things much easier talking to someone from the US.

I have multiple CDs, an IRA, and a savings account. To date, I've not had problems with any of them, although I haven't withdrawn any funds at this point. Hopefully, though, my positive experience to date will remain so.

I will stay with Ally because of their competitive rates, great customer service, and easy to use Web site features. Should that ever change, I'll let you know!

Ally Bank Money Transfer

Posted by: rvaree | Aug 6, 2015

My Uncle passed away months ago. He left money in an Ally Bank account for me. I've been trying for months to have the money transferred to a new account without any luck. These people are brain dead. I can't wait until my money is out of there hands. Please do not consider banking with Ally.

Terrible Bank!

My boyfriend and I have had a checking and savings account through Ally for a few years, and we just can't take it anymore. We've gone back with Suntrust and are in the process of switching over our funds and direct deposits, which Ally is not making easy for us.

They are SLOW at everything. We used to have Bank of America, and their application for mobile deposits was great and the money was available the next business day. With Ally, we almost always have to wait several days. And now, as a punishment for overdrafting our checking a couple times in the past year (we had overdraft protection from our savings but I guess Ally still takes it personal) Ally is holding any check we deposit randsom for 5 business days. Since I am switching, I had changed my direct deposit info through work, and because the process takes a while, my work sent me a paper check until direct deposit into my new account was ready. We used the app to deposit it into our Ally account (since we didn't have debit cards yet for our Suntrust account), and it is showing that check included in our balance... however, our "available balance" does not include the check. There's a note that the check is being held due to "excessive overdrafts." (two... in a year... that were paid from my own savings account!) Now for a week we don't have access to MY PAYCHECK! This is one of the most BS practices I've ever heard of and it's infuriating.

Also, the savings account we used to have through Ally was suddently closed without warning because we were transferring money too often throughout the month. We had both our paychecks set up to put 10% into savings, and if we wanted to make a large purchase that month or splurge on something, we would transfer from savings. Apparently there is a limit on the number of transactions you can make from a savings account (all banks may have this?) and because we exceeded that limit, we were fined... and because it happened again months later, Ally closed the account and gave no notice. One day we logged on and the account just said CLOSED. We had to call to find out why. They eventually mailed a check for what was in the account when it was closed (that you have to use the app to deposit so they can hold it randsom!), and both my and my boyfriend's direct deposits got screwed up and 10% of our paychecks went who knows where... I think mine was added to my next paycheck and he got a paper check in the mail weeks later.

For being an online bank, Ally sure does have a lot of technical issues. I use their Popmoney service to pay rent, and it takes about 5 business days to process the payment... not impressive. Sometimes this service isn't working, and we have to make other arrangements with the landlord because who knows when Ally will fix it. Then occassionally their online banking site and the mobile application will have an error message when you try to log in saying they are having technical issues with their online banking services and to check back later. But you're an online bank Ally... if you're having issues with your online services, you're JUST HAVING ISSUES. It's not like there's a branch your customers can go to to make transfers or check their balances. This saturday their site had that message for most of the day. Rediculous. They want to punish you with fees and inconveniences for your mistakes but just give you an "oops, sorry" for theirs.

Another HUGE problem with this bank is that without branches, you can't deposit cash if you ever need to, and you can't deposit certain kind of checks through the app. You have to MAIL these checks to Ally and then wait for them to process... My boyfriend got an insurance payment check for his car that was totaled and we needed to start looking for a new one so he could get to work. Before we even tried the app he called to make sure it would work so we didn't get stuck waiting for a deposit that was never going to happen. The customer service rep said we'd have to mail the check to Ally for it to be deposited... almost two weeks later we finally had the money in our account. Likewise, if you are ever paid in cash for something, or receive gift money, there's no way for you to use that money to pay online bills(without going to Amscot), shop online, add it to savings, etc. When we were with BOA and I was making tip money I could pop it into an ATM and it would be available in my account immediately. You're just screwed with Ally, unless you have someone you can give the money to who will write you a check, and then you want to wait 5 business days to access it.

Ally is just a really crappy bank. It starts out seeming really convenient and nice because of the low fees(other banks still have lower fees), but it's just not worth it. There are far too many inconvenient things about it and the way they treat you like a child who can't manage your money responsibly so they have to punish you... it just doesn't give you any warm, fuzzy feelings for them. I'm so glad we're switching. I have some student loan money I'm expecting to be deposited from my grad school soon, and I'm looking forward to what a fiasco it will be to transfer that to my new bank.

Do yourself a favor, and even if you don't think you'll ever need a physical branch for your banking, go with a bank that has one anyways. It's so easy for Ally to treat its customers like shit because they never have to see any of them face-to-face. They're not people, they're just customer numbers. There is value in having an in-person customer service option. It may seem like this value is lost in the age of technology, but I've learned the hard way never to take it for granted.

Absolute Worst Customer Service For New Account Ever

Posted by: eddie81 | Nov 20, 2012

I attempted to open a new checking and savings account with Ally Bank recently.  After completing the application though I was given an error page and it stated I must call Ally along with a reference number given.  This is where my first impression was shot about Ally...

The Ally rep asked multiple questions, several of them he asked atleast two times.  I understand that they need to verify the identity of the caller but it was getting ridiculous. During this 20+ minute call, I was placed on hold 4 separate times, lasting from 2-5 minutes each.  The rep seemed to be confused at times, unable to answer my questions, and just seemed not that familiar with any of the procedures of the bank he was "working" for.  This made me alittle uneasy as I was really confused about why this new account was being held and investigated further?  The rep said I would have to wait 3-5 business days for a "Specialist" to contact me... I questioned what this was about or what kind of "specialist" this was, none were answered by this rep.

Finally I just was fed up and unsure if I'd made the right decision to even submit my personal information to these people... seemingly they are either unsure of what they are doing or just incompetent.  So I told the rep just to cancel my application and I would find another bank to deal with.

After thinking about it more, I decided to call back, hoping to get another more knowledgeable rep that could atleast help me understand what they were doing and why a "specialist" needed to investigate my information in the first place.  This second rep decided he did not want to listen to my concerns and hung up on me!

I was upset at this point, so called back a third time and demanded to speak with a supervisor. The rep asked what the issue that I needed a supervisor for and I told him what had happened from the beginning.  He explained everything they needed and I still don't understand what they need to  investigate. I would stay away from Ally Bank!

Nightmare Bank

I have descended into a black hole of chaos. Never use this bank. Tried to open up an IRA because the interest rates were the best. Two full weeks of multiple conversations with supervisors who promised a return call within 24 hours 'without fail'. Never a call back. Finally, after two weeks, the long-awaited return call with message: "Please call back ASAP. Everything resolved." We call back the next day, and the same story: spoke to a manager who had no information, couldn't tell us anything, and promised a call back in 24-48 hours. Over two weeks of this nonsense. Called the CEO of ALLY bank, Barbara Yastine (646)781-2521. She is out of town, her assistant is out of the office, and the assistant's assistant who answered the phone knows nothing and promises a call back. All of this to open an IRA. Imagine trying to get my money out!

You Can Put It In, But Can't Get It OUT

Posted by: pacedinc | Feb 28, 2012

I can transfer my money into my Ally Account in a matter of minutes.  When I want to get it out, "well that'll be a few business days" or you can send them a form by fax for a wire transfer but I tried that twice and they just say we never received it.  I ask if I can email it to someone and they say we can't give out our email addresses it has to be faxed.  I ask how can I get confirmation it was received and they say "call us after a few hours and we'll check to see if we got it".  Guess what!  I call and "Please hold" "please hold" "please hold" and an hour later "no we can't find it"  STAY AWAY!!!

Transfered my money out of ING in a matter of minutes

Decent bank (best out there) to stash away some cash for more interest rate...

Posted by: Atutkat | Feb 5, 2016

I've been using Ally Bank for about three years now and I've switched from another online bank primarily attracted by a little higher rate on their CDs. After initial couple years i have stayed on because their CD rates were either better than most or equal to competitors. On top they offered me a retention bonus of small percentage increase on my rate. So overall my experience has been fine.

My only issue with this banks comes in the form on lack of brick and mortar branches AND more importantly limited international reach of the bank. The first I can live without, that's why I have my checking account in another bank (and use Ally mostly as a savings account). But the international aspect is sort of hampering. For example, I recently wanted to transfer funds IN and OUT of international account. Ally Bank turns out does not have it's own Swift code and works via Deutsche Bank or someone else in NYC. IT was nearly impossible to explain to international partners how to transfer funds to me or how to get paid by me using Ally. At the end I gave up and opted to use my regular bank (which also charged more fees, sadly) for international transactions.

Don't Use Their Overdraft Protection!

Posted by: Pancho | Dec 22, 2011

Ally has overdraft protection, which will automatically transfer funds from your savings to your checking. While it does protect against bouncing a check or having a transaction declined, Ally flags this as a negative mark on your account. This will lead to your deposits being held for "extended periods", sometimes up to 12 days! Also, they do NOT communicate this you, even though their Deposit Agreement says they will.

Account Opening Problems

Posted by: HokieNav | Mar 31, 2012

Ally offers a superior product, but their customer service and bank processes are lacking.  I opened an Online Savings account with $20,000.  I received a call the next week from Ally notifying me that they accidentally withdrew the $20,000 twice from my account, and asked me to call my other bank to try to stop the transaction.  My other bank told me that Ally was the only entity that could stop the transaction since they were the side that was initiating the withdrawal.  I called Ally back and the agent told me that Ally's system is not able to stop an initiated transaction.  The entire time they treated me like it was my fault and I received no apology.  I contemplated closing my Ally account in frustration, but decided that it would be counterproductive.  My other bank charged me a $25 insufficient funds fee that Ally only refunded once I sent them a scan of my other account statement and after several calls.  The credit shows up as a "Goodwill Credit" in my Ally account.  It should have said, "Refund due to Ally mistake."  Now I have spent several hours and have a returned check status at my original bank due to an Ally mistake and have yet to get an apology or anything for my trouble from Ally.

No-fee online bank

Posted by: jml389 | Mar 5, 2015

I have had an online savings account with Ally Bank for about a year. It is the best savings account I have ever had. The account was very easy to set up through the online interface, which was a big consideration because I failed to open an account at a couple banks because I couldn't prove my own identity through their procedures. Advantages of the account are the fact that deposits post sooner than at other banks I have used, the fact that they refund all ATM fees, and the fact that I've never had to pay any fee for anything. Additionally, almost everything can be done through the online interface. I've only had to call once and their customer service was very helpful. The only disadvantage I experienced is the fact that the web site seems to be down for maintenance a little more often than I would like. I have a tendency to check the account at odd hours and it's always up during business hours, but it's down on more late nights than I would like. I initially expected the lack of physical branches to be a disadvantage, but I really don't miss them at all.

Overall a great experience

Posted by: lumarie | Oct 7, 2015

I've had an Ally account for many years and one of the things that has continuously impressed me is the fact that they have always continued to innovate and improve. They seem to really invest in the customer experience and it shows. While it is sometimes frustrating not to have a brick and mortar location to go to, the on the go tools that they offer mostly make up for it. For example, you can deposit your checks online without any fuss. Also, they have always been easy to contact for customer service issues and have generally speaking been quick to resolve problems. It's great having so much flexibility and their website and user interface make it really easy to keep track of my money. I would recommend ally to anyone who is interested in an internet bank. They're a reputable company and I've never had any problems worth noting.

Do Not Use This Bank

opened an account, got my card & checks them 1 week a later they closed my account.

mailed me a check taken over 6 day for me to get my money. So why did they just close my account? because i used my business address ...

WHAT IS WRONG with that i use it for everything just don't like giving out my home address. Chase bank allows it, all my credit cards allow it, 3 car loans allow it but ALLY closed my account holding up my money and leaving checks out making it look like i wrote check on closed account

would never use this bank

good, not great

Posted by: rubix1217 | May 30, 2015

Ally Bank is a good online bank with an easy-to-set-up account and a good interest rate on their savings accounts. Everything you do is online and if you need to call customer service, they tell you what the wait time is on the website. I've only had one issue with Ally Bank so far, and that was over a check I had deposited. To make a deposit, you scan the front and back of your check and upload it. Once it's reviewed and accepted, the funds are deposited into your account - usually the next business day. I get a weekly bonus check each week from my employer, so I deposit it in my Ally account online. After two months of this, I was told by Ally that my check was not accepted. So I gave the customer service number a call. The wait time listed on the website accurate, and I got a friendly fellow on the phone that asked me a few security questions. After I told him my problem, he told me that the check I received only had my first initial on it, and not my full first name. I told him the eight checks I had deposited before that were the same way, and they were accepted, so why was this one declined? He didn't have an answer for me, only saying, "I'm just telling you what it says here." So obviously he was of no help to me, and I felt no reason to continue asking him questions he had no answer to. So while Ally is good, don't go looking to them for answers, because they don't know what's going on themselves.

Worst Bank I Have Ever Dealt With

Posted by: nhadley | Sep 16, 2015

I have been a number on Ally's bank register for three years and I want go on record that they have horrible customer service- do yourself a favor and bank elsewhere.
Unless of course you want the slowest you will experience bank to bank transfers, Sub par communication, and a know nothing about banking attitude - then by all means open an account.

No Expertise In Retirement Accounts

No expertise in retirement accounts asked about SEP and needed to try 3 people and still couldn't answer question.

3-5 Days For An Account And USELESS Support

Got tired of Wells Fargo and thought I would give Ally a try. They quoted me 3-5 days for an account which is absurd. Tried to chat about the issue and was asked to call, called and was told "we don't have any access to background systems". Also couldn't transfer me to anyone who did. She was clearly reading a script as she repeated the same line 2-3 times for different questions. Thank God I got this welcoming at the door and not after!

What's With All The Negative Reviews?

Posted by: psm321 | Jul 7, 2011

Ally is an excellent bank.  I've been with them since they were GMAC Bank.  Great service, knowledgable reps who are willing to actually talk to you instead of just following a script, 24/7 service, willing to reverse fees caused by customer mistake, good ACH functionality... what else could you want?  Oh yeah, a better interest rate would be nice and to be honest I don't keep much money there because of the low rate.  But the service is top-notch and I have occasionally kept money there longer than I normally would just to support them.

Posted by: mabdusamad | Jan 6, 2016

Ally bank is one of those rare blessings that you only find every so often. I don't know how they manage to provide such great service and rates year after year. I opened and account with them 2 months ago, and I never knew banking could be so easy. As far as I know, they are completely online, and that is why they are able to offer such great rates on savings and CDs. Starting the account was flawless. I just added some details and connected the account to one of my existing accounts. The money transferred right over. Since opening the account, I have opened a few CDs, and I'm thinking about an IRA. They have an app where you can send in checks by taking a picture and its really easy. You can also do direct deposit and open sub accounts for different spending and savings goals.

CDs from Ally Bank

Posted by: jaims | Jan 1, 2016

I have been banking with Ally Bank for at least 7 years purchasing CDs as a safe hedge for my savings. So far, their rates have been competitive so I have been rolling over my CDs when they mature. They are good at keeping me informed about the balance in my account with quarterly statements and always contact me about 6-8 weeks prior to when my CDs will mature. After the first time they matured, they offered to add to the current CD rate by .25% to entice me to continue my business with them. That .25% is a good incentive to stay with them. All in all, I am quite satisfied with their CD service. My CDs will mature in May and June of 2016. If they continue with their excellent rates and good customer service, I will continue to roll over my CDs.

4 years with this bank and no issues

Posted by: Otmer | Dec 30, 2015

I have been banking with Ally Bank since 2011. They are a simple and easy to work with company. I enjoy this bank because of the lack of fees, minimum deposit amounts, and reliable customer service. A great perk of choosing Ally is that you can use any ATM, and whatever fees there may be, Ally will reimburse it to your account each month. I find this perk very helpful, as many ATM's will charge up to $5 sometimes. Definitely saves you money. The interactions and experiences I've had with the customer service have all been great, and my issues or concerns were always addressed quickly.

I also like this bank's easy-to-use website and phone app. If you have a check, you can just use your phone to take photos of the check, and deposit it to your account through that. No need to drive anywhere, just do it at home, work , or wherever.

Being an online bank, the one big downside is that you cannot deposit cash, since they do not have official institutions or ATM's anywhere like other banks. It would certainly be nice to be able to do this, but I have found ways to work with it and it's never been a large enough issue for me to switch banks.

Overall, my experience with Ally bank has been largely positive, and there's never been a need to switch to another bank.

Dont Do It

The whole point of the online banking system is to be able to deposit checks online.  A few weeks ago I was suddenly unable to deposit checks using their software.  All of my equipment was the same, but I was suddenly forced to manually upload my checks.  That worked a few times, but now that I'm trying to deposit my last paycheck, an error message pops up saying to make sure the image I'm uploading contains the check image, and it does!  I called up and was told they were aware of this issue and would get back to me within 48 hours.  TWO DAYS.  I told them I needed the money ASAP and as a bank they should be providing me access to my money.  I live paycheck to paycheck.

After I got off the phone, things started to get worse.  I got an email saying my "telephone pin" had been changed and if I hadn't changed it, to contact Ally immediately. Genuinely sick of their unknowledgeable customer service reps, I decided to run errands.  I went to a store and my card was DECLINED.  THAT got my attention, so I called them immediately and asked if someone had access to my card.  I was told that "someone would get back to me within 48 hours" about my card being potentially hacked!  Two days!  I asked that they call back at least the next day, and I was told they would "put in that request for me."

I just tried to access my online banking to monitor it for the possibility that someone was using my card, and MY ACCOUNT WAS BLOCKED from my access! I called back (the next day) to ask if I could have access but was told that I had to wait for a representative to contact me in order to get it unblocked!  I have ZERO access to all of my money right now and ZERO answers.  I have to somehow EAT today and also make a deposite on my new apartment by the end of the month.  Are they even legally allowed to take these actions?  It's horrifying!  Save yourself.

Very good overall Bank, Website Limited

I signed up for Ally Bank several months ago. They have been a generally good bank to deal with. Although their website is too simplistic and not very user friendly or easy to navigate, the bank itself is a good choice, especially for people looking for a second chance or poor credit checking account to use for online banking. The fees were very low and very reasonable. The debit card and checks came very quickly and the initial setup was very easy and was a very smooth process. In addition, they were able to identify and stop a fraudulent attempt to steal and use my checking account information, which saved me a ton of time and effort. Even though the website was not very well designed or user-friendly, the customer service by phone was very good and the associates were extremely friendly and helpful.

NIGHTMARE OF A BANK ALLY BANK

Posted by: rickh | Nov 21, 2012

I opened an account with Ally bank and asked them to do an ACH transfer from TD Bank for $241,000.00.  They told me that they would send two small deposits to my TD bank account and not until I verified the amounts of the two deposits would they fund the account.  Instead here is what they did.  They immediately sent an ACH transfer to TD Bank without ever sending the two small deposits. In the interim I read of all the poor reviews so I decided to not open the account and closed the Ally account.  In the meantime my $241,000.00 was in limbo I had no access to it and still do not.  I placed a stop payment on the transfer but won't know until today if it was successful.  I talked to a supervisor who refused to allow me to record the call, and told me that in the notes it said nothing about the two small deposits having to be verified before they requested the money from TDbank.  I called him a liar and know that the opening of the account is recorded by the bank.  I intend to file a complaint with the Department of Banking and Finance in Utah today.

Stay away from these liars like the plague.  If I could have put a zero in the review I would have Ally Bank is less than zero.  ALSO  read the terms and conditions they will scare the heck out of you!!!!!

If They Don't Like Your Activities, They Will Find A Loophole And Cancel You - Beware!

I gradually trusted them with my funds, increased the amount of bills a paid, and moved 100% of my payroll direct deposit. And then . . .  they cancelled my account leaving my payroll and other deposits in limbo. The loophole, they said I linked my paypal account which is categorized as a business account. I said to the person on the phone, can I just remove the link to the PayPal account? She said "no, you will not use this account again" why I asked myself, they want me to open a new account with them in which the terms and conditions are different. To me, that is the most unprofessional way to treat a customer, I will never do business with Ally.com, that is the only thing I can do, because I can never take back the sleepless nights after they left me with late bills and wondering when I would get my payroll paper check instead of the direct deposit I had entrusted to them.  :-(

Website And Customer Service Equally Useless

To open an online savings account titled under a trust you must mail them an application because their website can't handle it.  Then once the account is opened, you have to call them to get a user ID for the website because their website can't do that either.  When we tried to link our external checking account to our Ally savings account it was denied despite the fact that it was the same checking account used to open the savings account.  When I called their customer service department to complain, their representative intentionally hung up on me.

Terrible Customer Service

Posted by: dgonz | Feb 23, 2012

My two partners and I tried to set up an account with Ally. we were not able to enter all the information to set up the account online and had to call customer service. Then, because there were three of us on the account, they had to review it (5 additional days) before they called to request additional verification of ID for the other two account holders. We sent this and heard nothing. To top it off, we were unable to check the status of the account online, everytime we received a message to call and talk to a customer service rep. Today, I was told they sent a letter a week ago with information about the decision on the new account. No letter has been received and they could not provide any information over the phone. I would not recommend this bank based on the slow turnaround and lack of customer service. We get better service at a traditional bank.

Bad Service

The worst customer service in my life. One department doesn't know what the other is doing. Added extra charges to my car payments and no one could tell me what the charges were for. I wrote letters(3) and got no reply until I wrote a fourth letter. Customer service was poor, very poor. I know they say my account is behind. Pay every month before time. This is a sorry company. Need to retrain your reps. I was QA for GE for 10 years, I would fire over half of them. Don't use this to get a car. No one ever says SORRY. Never send me a notice as to what the charges were for. I was told we don't do that. Why? should I pay for something I don't know what it's for. Especially when my payments are on time. This is no way to run a business

Do Not Join This Bank, It Is Horrible

Posted by: jesshutch | Feb 16, 2012

I just spent so much time setting up my Ally account. I switched over since ING is going to Capitol One soon. BIG mistake. Problem after problem. It seems they have only been opened for a week. I could not even activate my debit card and when I called about the problem, the customer service person could not help me. She said she would send me over to a survey after the call, but instead hung up on me. How convenient! I also called about a bug in the Perks portion of your website - the system will not retain multiple zip codes. They told me it was a known problem and they would look into it. Well that was a week ago. I am a programmer and know that problem would not take long to fix. Also, their chat disconnected me multiple times. There are so many problems already, I do not want to take a risk that next time the problem will be with my money disappearing. I just pray that all my money will make it out of Ally intact. I will never bank with them again.

I Have Found The Online Bank Of My Dreams !!!

I have had an Ally Banking account for a little over a year now, and Ally is every bit as good if not better than a physical bank. I have a checking account and a savings account. The checking account pays an interest rate of 0.10% and the savings account pays an interest rate at 1.00%. Since they don't have physical locations and actual ATM's they will reimburse you up to $10 at the end of each month for ATM fee's. Plus the Allpoint ATMs have a deal setup with Ally where if Ally customers use their ATM's there is automatically no charge at all. I have my paycheck deposited every Friday morning , and I have never had a problem at all. Before I decided to switch to Ally I was a little skeptical since they didn't have any locations, but that has never been a problem, they strive for convenience and convenience is what I have found the whole time I have dealt with Ally. I have free checking, so in other words, I haven't paid ally any money at all for using their bank. It's the first bank I've ever dealt with where I've never paid them any money!!! I would fully recommend anyone to switch and go with ally !!!

Hardest Working Customer Service Reps, TERRIBLE Management

Posted by: clbeav | Jan 24, 2013

Michael Carpenter (CEO of Ally Bank) should do an internal audit and fire more than half of his people in management positions.  Seriously, some of the policies this bank has are ridiculous. It's almost as if they want you to come in and close your account.  Ally just lost my account, baited me into making a deposit through their check app, then proceeds to hold that check for over 10 business days!  10 BUSINESS DAYS!

Nothing the reps could do on the phone.  When I try and talk to a manager or a supervisor, all I get is half-assed answers about how policies are policies and no-one can do anything about them.  Why even have management if policies can't change.  I don't see this bank lasting.  Alll that money they waste on commericals, they could just open a few branches around the country with and prevent dumb things like this happening.

Don't bank with them,  you'll be sorry.

Failure Of Edeposit System

I have appreciated everything about my Ally accounts except for their eDeposit system. Sometimes I can make a deposit in less than a minute, but often, it can take an hour to make a deposit because of glitches in their online deposit system, having to call to report a problem, and waiting to speak to someone.  Never are they able to explain why the problem is occuring or how to correct it, but indicate someone from tech support will need to call back.  Tech support never calls back.  Today, I made a deposit of one check with no problems and attempted to make a second deposit.  It went through seamlessly until the final step where the deposit is confirmed and gave me a message "Oops, the deposit could not be made for the following reason."  There was nothing stated as to the reason.  It instructed me to start over.  When I did and got to the confirmation, I got a message it could not be deposited because I had already made the deposit.  I called to see whether the deposit actually went through.  The Ally rep stated this cannot be confirmed for 2 working days.  Because today is Saturday, and Monday is a holiday, that means I won't get confirmation for 5 days, during which I will not know whether the deposit went through or not.  When I complained about the ongoing problems with the eDeposit system, I was told that eDeposit is a new service for Ally and that they are aware of many problems with the system but they are working out the details.  As I've been making deposits for a year, I don't consider this a new service, and finid it terrifying that in a year, they cannot get the system oprerational and that they began the system when it was not operational.

Incompetent

Posted by: MikeC | Jul 28, 2015

All I need is a simple lease transfer. The lease is completely paid, I just need the paperwork so I can get the plates and registration. It's been over 3 weeks and no one at this institution can tell me when it will be completed. Meanwhile, my car sits in the garage unusable. To add insult to injury, the bank charges $600 to change the ownership of a lease.

DO NOT do business with this bank. Tell anyone that will listen to decline leases or loans through the dealership with Ally Bank. This is GMs go to lease company, tell GM you will not buy their products if they continue to use Ally Bank.

Terrible Customer Service And Policies

I've had so many issues in the past with Ally's bank cards and various IT issues. Everytime I go out of town my card gets blocked and I have to call some 3rd party security outfit and verify transactions...uggg. Two days ago, I found 2 fraudulent transactions (from Bangladesh - go figure) and notified Ally immediately. They refused to take the complaint because the transactions were not fully complete and elected to make me re-contact them two days later (guess it was just way too much trouble to take down the information and act on it in 2 days). I called back in 2 days to *finally* get the 'investigation' started and was told Ally will snail mail me forms within TEN business days to return. As far as the funds? Well, they will be 'provisionally' returned when the 00'investigation' officially starts (hopefully in 10 days assuming they actually mail them and I don't have to call back in to start the process all over again).

I asked the csr if it was ok, then, for me to overdraft my accounts by $800 (the amount of the bad transactions) and just respond to Ally that I would make a provisional deposit withing 10 business days to cover the amount.

Ally should stop wasting all of the millions they are spending on 'how great their customer service is' if this is how they truly treat their customers. The money would be better spent in Bangladesh...

Very happy with Ally!

Posted by: Becca | Oct 8, 2014

We signed up about a month ago for a savings account through Ally. The rate right now is the best for an average family, and we've been very happy with the service we've received. Online interface is easy and intuitive, and transfers between Ally and non-Ally accounts are quick. Would definitely recommend as a bank!

Never Had A Problem

Posted by: sonora77 | Nov 1, 2012

I've been using Ally for five years now, and I've never had a problem.  I'm connected via ACH to two other banks, and transfers have always been smooth, in both directions.  I have two Ally accounts and use one for tax holding and one for general purposes.  I had a CD at one time and that was fine too.  Their rates are generally good; not the best, but definitely better than average.

Easy to work with.

Posted by: RD | Sep 30, 2014

I've been using Ally Bank for a few years for products for my children and my husband and I. We have both regular CD's and retirement accounts. They are always easy to reach by phone at any time of day. I haven't found any better rates for what I am looking for. Whenever we renew a cd we get .25% extra for continueing with them, which is nice, since I haven't found any rates with banks I trust higher lately. When we do IRA's rollovers there haven't been any tax reporting problems with them, but in the past we have had with other banks.

Simple and direct

Posted by: IanM. | Jul 3, 2015

When I was looking around for online banking options I wanted something simple and fast. A lot of the more traditional institutions and even some of the online only accounts had ridiculous fees associated with them. Ally has none of these. I was able to get my checking and savings accounts set up immediately and my debit card came in the mail a few days later. The interface is simple and I have yet to have an issue with them.

Mobile App Doesn't Work Reliably And Excessive Overdraft Charges

Posted by: Andrew_C | Apr 6, 2016

The mobile app frequently has issues with depositing checks. Ally doesn't have physical branches, so one would expect this function would work rock solid and consistently...

Ally Bank - Online Banking Done Right

Posted by: YoungOne | Apr 6, 2016

I have had a great experience with Ally Bank. I have a checking and savings account through them, and have had enjoyed my time spent with them. Their mobile and web interfaces are very user friendly, and I love how easy it is to find what you are looking for. They provide the best return on a savings account that I have found so far, and definitely far better than my old bank. The only area in which I wouldn't give them a 5 star rating is in their customer service. I do feel like this could be improved upon. Although it is better than most banks that I have had trouble with, there is still a significant amount of time spent on hold waiting to talk to someone. Compared to previous experiences, I do enjoy their customer service, and feel as though I am always greeted by friendly agents who want to help me with my problems. Overall I believe that Ally provides good services, and at the root of their business, cares about their customers. If they continue to put us first, I will continue to use them for my banking needs.

Ally Bank Is BAD Business

I recently opened an acct with this bank. They told me my initial deposit is not available until 10 business days. I said I needed my money to live on and they said that it was their policy and it was stated on page 35 of the pdf file of acct information. you can go to facebook and like the page I Hate ALLY BANK

Ally Bank Receives Funds But Hates To Let Them Go.

Posted by: Psychodad | Dec 19, 2012

I had a direct deposit go into my account at Ally, from a depositor that had sent funds there before.  I needed those funds and couldn’t wait the week or more normally required to transfer funds to my brick and mortar bank. So the only option left was to pay the $20.00 they demanded to do a wire transfer.  I initiated this transfer in the morning and while repeatedly checking with them throughout the day, providing whatever they asked for in the way of verification, even so far as to have the depositor contact them directly to ask them to release the funds, it still ended up in the fraud department just before the fraud department went home for the day, so much for 24 hour a day service.  At best, you can reach a non-empowered employee who will wring their hands an feel really bad for you, but can do nothing to help.  Don’t believe the ads, that’s all they are, ads, there is no real connection between the empty promises and actual experience.  I regret the day I ever applied for an account, I should have never left my local bank.

MY CHECKING ACCOUNT

Posted by: vcaster | Aug 3, 2011

I can't get to my checking account NOR anybody that will tell me why. All I am getting that I will be contacted within 48 hours. I have MONEY in that account.

WHAT's UP!!!!

Auto Lease

Buyer Beware we recently returned our car to dealer after 39 mo. lease in which we purchased 2500 extra miles as a precaution of overage as it turns out we were well within the lease miles not even close to useing extra miles dealer stated we would be refunded the amount we paid for miles that were not used but ally says no refuned is comming Really!!! i will look else where for my next bank!!!!

Love Them!

Posted by: lint631 | May 11, 2015

I really love this bank. I've used them for a few years and they have great support.

Poor Customer Service That Keeps Getting Poorer

Posted by: dsafdsada | Apr 13, 2012

It's no surprise that Ally's rates, features, and (lack of) fees are pretty great, but their customer service is awful. Sure, after going through an annoying menu, you can get to a real, live, friendly person. The problem is that those live people are unable to solve most problems, answer most questions, or really do anything but have a conversation about the weather (which they always try to work in... must be on the script). Their limits and rules are so confusing that when I call to ask about them, each employee gives me a totally different story! There are many better banks out there that offer better rates and hire competent people.

A Better Savings Account

Posted by: KJ92 | Mar 22, 2016

I've had a savings account at another bank for years, but was getting .05% or less back per year. I talked to Ally and they made it a very easy decision to switch my account over. I started at 1% APY, more than 20 times what I was receiving at my previous bank. But the part that really sold me was the fees on the account. My previous account had fees everywhere, from monthly maintenance fees to fees for even checking my balance at a different bank's ATM, and the money I was making on the account wasn't nearly enough to cover it. My new Ally account doesn't have monthly fees, and makes it easy for me to access my money, even from other banks' ATMs. On top of all this, Ally's customer service was a wonderful experience for me, especially since there is no way to walk in and talk with a banker. Their call center was by far the fastest service I've gotten for customer support, and is open 24/7. I set up my account after getting home from work, something other banks make it difficult for me to do.

"Your Ally Bank Account Is Now Closed"

Posted by: cactus | Aug 17, 2012

If you start to set up a CD and don't fund it... a couple of months later you get this email from Ally: "Your Ally Bank account is now closed." Long after you have forgotten that you didn't complete the CD.

Ancient Banking Services

I am a fairly new customer with Ally. This is the worse Checking Account I have ever had. I diverted from the big banks (BofA, Wells Fargo, etc) due to their malicious practices of labeling low-balance customers and taking advantage of their lack of cash flow. A vendor erroneously debited my account. I contact the vendor and Ally and the Ally refunded the overdraft fee and the vendor agreed to return the funds. The vendor took over a month to return my funds. When I did received the refund, Ally decided to hold it for 7 days stating the hold was due to me having a recent overdraft. WAIT, the same d*** overdraft you refunded? And also, the deposit is for that same d*** transaction? Really??? So I chat online, and "Rihanna" was obviously the singer, and not banking associate as she refused to understand the case and help me further. So I called the 800 number and at first, was labeled with stereotypes that "a lot of people have holds because they have multiple overdrafts". I had to encourage the associate to review my account before labeling me as a repeat offended. There, she found that the only overdraft fee I had received was for THIS incident, which was refunded by the bank and original debit was returned. FINALLY got her to enter a request to remove the hold from my account. She also found that Ally had my account labeled as having received 6 or 7 overdrafts, of which she was unable to locate any others accept the one refunded. It would behoove them to take the necessary steps to review the customer's account before assuming their situation fits the punishment. So disgusted. I am dropping my payroll direct deposit with the checking account and will only use it to transfer funds to/from the MMA to avoid delays with transferring between banking institutions.

Signed, Disgruntled and Turned Off

2 Years Running And Still Happy

Posted by: allyman | May 26, 2014

Been with Ally for over 2 years and couldn't be more pleased with the experience. I have a MMA and while the rate has dropped it has overall been fairly steady. I actually saw it increase once.

Awesome Alternative To Local Bank

Posted by: nb79 | Mar 15, 2016

We have been using Ally for a little over a year. Their products and interest rates were much better than we could find locally, and their website is very user friendly. We have both a savings and checking account with them and have been very satisfied. The online deposit feature is very convenient, and the fact that they refund all your ATM fees monthly makes it very easy to access your funds wherever and whenever you need them, without worrying about it costing you more. The one issue we had with someone illegally using our account was handled swiftly and professionally and their fraud and customer service departments kept us in the loop at all times. No one likes to battle identity fraud, but thankfully they made the process relatively painless.

Slow Service

Posted by: ksgirl38 | Dec 14, 2012

Bank transfers from other banks are slow to deposit in your account.  Same for checks mailed or uploaded online.  No fees were nice and reimbursement of any ATM fees anywhere, but my last straw came when they put $1000 of my money on hold with no explanation and after 3 phone calls couldn't fix it or tell me why it had been done.  Then my debit card was cancelled without any warning.  Customer service was less than helpful.

.25% CD Bonus

Posted by: Sperry8 | Feb 1, 2011

I have a CD that is maturing in a few weeks and Ally sent me an email that stated I'd get a .25% bonus if I renewed it with them.  Last year they offered the same .25% bonus but I was able to get .5% simply by asking for this on the phone.  Has anyone else been able to get higher than .25% recently?

Ally Bank - Internet Banking Not Ready For The Internet Or 21st Centiury

I just recently opened up an account with Ally Bank. Everything went smooth on opening up the account and transferring money from my regular bank. I also did the same with ING Direct. I wanted to open up 2 small accounts and see which bank had the best experience to deal with before I transferred larger amounts. I had three criterias that I wanted to test, easy of transferring money between accounts, customer service, and mobiile banking solutions (Rates are important but let's be honest they all suck so other criterias are more important in todays financial markets). Ally won the first two criterias. Ally transferred the money faster, Ally has outsanding customer service. A real customer service person was a real nice surprise. However, their Mobile banking solution is horrible and is just not acceptable.

I have an Android Tablet and found out that Ally's Mobile Banking Android application does not work on Android tablets (only Phones) and was told by their tech support that the app will not work on android tablets until the end of 2012. This is unacceptable for an internet banking company. As they say or ESPN "C'mon Man", you got to be kidding!!!! It only shows me that they are not capable of competing in this market and one would have to question investing one's money in a bank that is not ready for "Prime Time" in the Mobile App Market. They may have a  slightly better rate than ING but ING seems to have their act together with their internet and mobile solutions. It just makes me more trusting in ING at this time. I am bitterly disappointed in Ally that they are taking so long in coming up with a mobile solution. If I was CEO of Ally I would appoint a team to get this accomplished immediately --- no excusses accepted!!!!

I do not understand how they can get such glowing reviews when their Mobile Banking Solution is so terrible. And I am trying to be kind here. It is just awful and Ally Management better take steps to bring them into today's mobile banking environment or they will be out of business soon!!!!

If Mobile Banking capabilities is important to you I would stay away untile they get their act together!!!

Disappointed new customer and transferring funds to ING or some other Bank who understands Mobile Banking solutions.

Awesome Ally

Posted by: PhilT1 | Mar 11, 2016

My experience with Ally has exceeded my expectation for banking online. Ally does not have a physical location so when you want to get cash out you can choose any bank and Ally will reimburse you the fee you paid. Their website is user friendly as well as their customer service, which you can contact 24/7 either via phone or online. Checking and saving accounts are free and moving money to other banks are free and easy as well.

Not Reliable Bank .System Is Wrought With Issues

Posted by: bonseye | Mar 24, 2015

I have had a checkings and savings with Ally for 5 years. Here is my experience.

In accurate transaction history - This is my most recent issue. I made a payment from my Discover credit card using my Ally account. Discover card says that the transaction failed because they could not locate the account. I then called Ally. I do not see the transaction debited from my account which is good as at least i didnt lose money. However, I DO see the transaction in my payment activity. Called Ally. Rep says they do not see the transaction in my payment activity. Another Ally rep called me the next day and still does not see the transaction. he told me to wait 2 days and it should show up. It's been 5 days. It still has not shown up. I find it very odd that I can see it in my payment activity, but they don't see it on their computer. This makes me question how accurate their systems are. I've seen other occasions where I see a payment in my payment activity, but no funds withdrawn.

Customer Service Not very knowledgeable - Ally has rated high on bank comparison sites b/c they have more ways to contact them than other banks. Question is what is the quality? The sales reps are nice and friendly. However, they have answered my question 20% of the times I have had to contact them. I'm in technology and seem to know more than they do about their systems. What's the use of being available 24/7 if you can't answer customer's q's?

Bill Pay is not reliable - I have had repeatable issues with their ebill and bill pay. One time the account number changed. I edited the account number on the existing payee and got confirmation. Later I find I didn't get an ebill. since payment is triggered by the ebill, i missed the payment and got charged a $25 fee by the other company. After multiple attempts trying to figure out the issue myself, I called them. The rep seemed confused. After 30 minutes on the call, rep says, delete and recreate the payee. The system shouldn't let you change the account number of the payee if payments do not work after you change the account number right? Really poor design. I also have been charged missed payments due to payments not getting sent from Ally. And it is NOT due to not being enough money. Sometimes payments don't go through, like the example I mention below with Discover card. Now, I have given up using Ally as my central payment tool. I have had to set up a bank account at the 8 credit card and other accounts to pay from my bank account - this was what i was hoping to avoid.

Some Banks do not recognize Ally bank - I've tried to link my money market account with Ally and they could not recognize the bank. I should not have a doubt that other banks can recognize my primary checkings account right?

Depositing checks on Android does not work well - They've had mobile check depositing since 2013 i believe. It worked fine the first year. Then I got a Samsung S4 which has a better camera than my previous phones. Once I switched to this phone, it became very difficult to upload a check. IF it worked it would take 4 to 5 attempts to get the app to accept the picture. Most of the time it simply would not. Would keep on getting blurry image error. Due to this, I ended up having to open another checkings account with a different bank so that I could deposit checks. Ridiculous. Finally yesterday, I asked them about this issue. They say they solved it. Can't say they made any updates to the mobile app itself, but at least now they recognize the issue and gave me instructions. Haven't tried it yet. I've used other mobile apps that did not have these problems.

Very slow Website - Ever since they did a make over of their website, it has been extremely slow. Some days it takes 12 seconds for each page to load.

If you don't use their bill pay, especially their automatic payment based on bill pay, you should be fine. Due to these issues, I am looking for a bank that is more reliable.

Skeptical About This Thread

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 5, 2012

I have a hard time believing some of the reviews in this thread, especially the ones about phantom withdrawals. In all my years banking and knowing people who bank, I've never heard of something like that actually happening. It sounds more like the kind of thing a person would make up if they wanted to tell some banking horror story. The facts about Ally are: free checks, reimbursement of all ATM fees, good rates, a user friendly website, and 24/7 customer service for which I, personally, have never had to wait more than thirty seconds. Plus, funny commercials!

Seems Ally Bank Has Started Charging $10 As Per Description "FEE-ACHDW: Service Fees"

Seems ally has started charging $10 as per description “FEE-ACHDW: Service Fees” if there are 6 or more transactions per statement cycle. You can call them on phone to have the charges reversed

FEE-ACHDW: Service Fees
$10.00

Totally Disappointed

i am very disappointed with Ally Bank.  They have not followed through with my requests.  When setting up accounts for my neices and nephews, there was not consistency in the information needed to set up the accounts.  With some accounts they kept asking for SS cards, drivers liscense, marriage liscenses, ect,  but with other accounts nothing was requested.  They couldn't get the joint account information address correct and I would not recieve anything at my address it went to the addresses of my neices and nephews, with my SS on it.  Not very secure!!  it was very time consuming to get the accounts set up and when the CD's mature, I will move them somewhere else!!

Great Bank

Posted by: clsand99 | Feb 20, 2012

Fast & friendly service. Always a real person to talk to. Had a problem with a transfer & the customer service rep when above & beyond the call of duty.

Great Idea, but Not Confident

Posted by: Aldo | Aug 27, 2015

Ally bank has better interest rates then your conventional mortar and brick banks. The website is easy to use and your ATM/Debit card and checks work the same way. I did deposits by mail which did create a delay. You can scan and send a picture through the APP but I have not done this. It is hard to build confidence when you don't actually see a building. I still have not moved a large amount of assets to Ally because if something happens, I have no place to go and actually see a human about it. I feel like someday the bank could go under and all I can do is make a phone call and no one will answer. Overall the bank interest rates are just a little higher so it is worth putting some savings or rainy day money in the bank for it to sit and grow. I would not use this bank for everyday banking. It just doesn't work me and my confidence.

My experience with Ally Bank

I have been an Ally customer for just over a year now. This is my first bank account. When i was looking for a bank i thought I wanted a brick and mortar bank. I don't make a lot of money so I needed a bank that didn't have a ton of fees. Looking into other banks I found fee's, taxes. all kinds of excuses to take your money. So I saw ally had no fees. Not only do they have no fee's they give you money back. You gain interest, They refund ATM fees charged by other banks. I also get free checks and smart-phone check deposits. You can also scan checks for deposits. The website as well as the app is simple to use, Clear and concise. I could not be more happy with my choice.

My experience with customer service has always been amazing as well. I never wait longer than a minute or less to speak with a real English speaking person. They always seemed to have a genuine interest in solving my problems and answering my questions. They have always been extremely friendly even when i felt like my question was stupid.

I would recommend Ally to anyone, and in fact I have. A friend of mine just recently opened an Ally account. He is really happy with it.

Warning Re: Ally Bank And FDIC Info Being Given By Phone Reps

Posted by: 1ofus | Jan 30, 2014

Today is Jan 30, 2014.

In the past, I was a very pleased with Ally Bank services and phone service agents. This afternoon, I had to call for service as my online account access was blocked due to no contact for "quite a while". It took two calls to get the access unlocked. Both service agents were courteous. However, during the conversation, the first rep called mentioned that each of my accounts was FDIC insured for the $250 k amount. I have several accounts with Ally including CD/s, checking and savings accounts. The total for all accounts is more than $250 k. All accounts have identical account ownership. I mentioned to rep one that I thought that he was in error and that I was partially uninsured. No, rep one was very certain. The dialog continued and then he reread a "Guide" he had, out loud to me, and then when parsing the words and more dialog, he recanted his prior statements that all of my six accounts had $250 k each for a total of 1.5 million dollars. Later, still working on the lockout, I had to call Ally again to resolve the problem. Rep 2 did accomplish the unlock, and I asked rep 2 how much FDIC insurance coverage did I have, and he came back with the same initial response as rep 1 - $250 k for each of my six identically registered accounts. I suggested a different interpretation, but unlike rep 1, rep 2 stayed firm and mentioned that the FDIC had a worksheet I could run. End if ALLY contacts. I ran the FDIC tool and yes, I was uninsured for all amounts greater than $250 k. Just to make sure, I called the FDIC and that rep confirmed that the worksheet was correct.

Bottom Line for readers with accounts at Ally with amounts greater than $250 total - I recommend that you confirm your FDIC insurance coverage with the FDIC worksheet and a call to the FDIC if necessary. Granted a sample of two account reps at Ally this afternoon is just two, but there is a problem there at Ally - 2 for 2 misstatements re: FDIC coverage.

Be aware! The link for the FDIC tool was at http://www.fdic.gov/EDIE/calculator.html

Cheers!

Ally Bank CD Account Opening Review

The good thing about Ally Bank CD is that it only has 60 day penalty if you withdraw the CD before the matural date. If you go with 5 year CD, the interest rate is now 2.95%.

The account opening process is very easy. You will receive a letter of confirmation about your CD term and rate. They should be able to reserve your rate for 10 days. Please pay attention and make sure it is the rate when you opened the account. The Ally Bank CD rate changed after I opened the account, I got the new rate instead of the one when I opened. I called the CSR and they were able to confirm my CD opening date and give me back the correct rate.

Even though there was a little hick up, the overall customer service is good. I called to open the CD, and called again about the wrong rate. They said they will investigate and they called me back after 2 days.

All Works Very Well For Me

Posted by: xelnx | Jun 13, 2012

I have used ally CDs and savings account for 3 years. I never had a single problem. At one point I closed 5 CDs early since I needed money quickly. I was surprised how smoothly and promptly this transaction was executed. It seems that this forum attracts negative reviews, which is somewhat understandable.

Fair Review

I am here trying to post a fair review. Some people's experiences with Ally just differ completely from mine. For me, they have been nothing but great. Their checking accounts are simply great, since they have no fees, ATM rebates, high rates, and free checks and bill pay. I also like their savings account. Whenever I have needed customer service, I just called their phone number and was on the phone with someone usually in less than 5 minutes. They even post the wait time on their website. I was a little skeptical of switching from a brick and mortar bank to Ally, but a year into this transition, I have no regrets at all.

Ally Money Market Account

Posted by: Dylan | Feb 6, 2016

I recently opened a Money Market Account with Ally Bank. I was skeptical about doing business with a bank that was purely online, but once I read some reviews, I decided to dive in and give it a shot. I was really impressed to find out how accommodating Ally was with their App experience for my iPhone as well as the competitive rate for their accounts. The interest that is accrued is compounded daily which is another great perk. I also love the fact that I was immediately sent a debit card and checks, free of charge, upon Ally receiving my first deposit. Both the website and the app are very easy to use; allowing me to deposit checks on the go and being able to withdraw money from ATM's with all of the charges being reimbursed promptly after.

Posted by: BradOLion | Feb 5, 2016

I opened an ALLY account no fee checking account last March to keep money separate from our normal checking account to save for a vacation. I sell lots of things online and wanted a separate and easy account to deposit my earnings. ALLY was the only place which had a true no-fee checking. They sent checks, debit cards and all the things you would expect. I was very impressed since they also beat the rates at our local credit union. To withdraw money you agree to the fees at a machine and they reimburse you at the end of the month. They truly have no fees. Very impressive bank which I would highly recommend to anyone.

I Love This Bank!

Posted by: TofuPower | Jul 9, 2015

I opened a checking account with Ally after my regular walk-in bank started BSing me around with fees. The fees at Ally are reasonable and fair. Customer service has always been there for me, regardless of the problem.

Great Bank (3152)

Posted by: jshox | Dec 2, 2010

This bank is the best bank out there.  They don't have any physical locations but other than that.. its great.  The customer service is available 24/7 and their website is easy to navigate.  They offer free accounts when every other bank is charing you fees or making you do certain things to keep the account free.

Everyone should look at their bank and the interest they are being paid.  I know that ally has rates that went down over the past few months but so has every other bank.  Can't blame them for a downed economy.

I've tried every product and i'm happy.  the 11month no fee cd is great!

My Go To Bank

Posted by: anon123 | Feb 2, 2016

I've been banking with Ally for over 5 years now and it has become my go-to bank, the hub from which I do all my banking. It has a very nice online interface, great phone support with nice representatives and they live up to their no-hidden-fees slogan. They also have high limits for ACH transfers making them an easy choice for a hub-bank.

I normally hunt for best interest rates and as a result have banked with many banks. Ally is my bank of choice even when their rates a little lower than competition.

They have accommodated my (sometimes unusual) requests in very nice, attentive, and prompt manner, even when they did not have to!

My only complaint: their paper statements are too verbose and consume way more paper than they need to!

STICK WITH THE EXPERTS....NOT ALLY

Posted by: ashtaria | Mar 7, 2013

I HATE this bank, period.   Since I have an an Ally account, nothing but issues.   I have closed all my accounts today and will be moving to back to Wells Fargo and Chase.  I have learned to love banks that have a face to face option, and, that doesn't hide behind its "policies".   If that means I have to pay fees then so be it.  Its worth it to me to have something Ally is missing, CUSTOMER SERVICE.  For those of you who love Ally and have had no problems, great.  However, its only a matter of time.

Dishonest Banking Practises

When I invest my money no matter how big or little the investment is, I have to be able to trust the institution!
Unfortunately I had hit a financial rough spot last year, but kept in constant contact with Ally. Ally customer service had led me on to believe that everything was good since I wasn't too far behind and making constant payments.
Two weeks after making a payment, Ally repossessed my vehicle. Turns out they had been stringing me along the whole time, seeing just how much money they could get out of me because ultimately they were going to always take the car.
I believe in Karma, Ally will get theirs one day for dishonesty and predatory lending.

WIRE TRANSFER DIFFICULTIES

I'd always been happy with Ally -- until I had some complicated wires to send out.  All I can say is, What a mess!  I suggest that if you anticipate needing a wire, get in touch with them at least a week in advance and then make sure you get their security call within the next 48 hours; if you don't receive the call, start agitating.  Understand that it may take them 24 hours or more AFTER they call you to get the wire going.  I wish that, instead of depending on wiring, I'd written checks and had them overnighted to the receiving institution.  Not only would I have saved fees and hours of my time, but the sending institution would have received the funds the day I designated, not two days later.

Forget Your Privacy

Posted by: shangrala | Nov 21, 2014

Ally told me it would close my account if I did not provide a physical street address. I value my privacy, and I have a post office box which receives all my mail. This is a common practice in the United States and has been so for a very long time. Anyway, I told Ally to go ahead and close the account. There was no attempt to transfer me to an account recovery specialist, no understanding of privacy; it was goodbye to the customer, full stop. This is a despicable bank. That must be the reason why so much official effort is being made online and elsewhere to portray Ally as "number one," as if this bank is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It isn't. To Ally, the customer is an adversary.

Damn Good Bank!

Posted by: francs | Nov 30, 2011

Not entirely sure about the majority of these reviews over a year ago, but I opened an Interest Chacking accoung and a Money Market account over the summer and could not be happier (Note: coming from BOA). The only gripe that I have with Ally so far is that I try to check my account balance on occasion and sometimes (3-4 times since June this year) the website is down. Typically this is resolved, at worst, by the next day. While annoying, it's not been a huge deal for me just yet as I use credit cards for all of my purchases anyway. One other thing, I really wish they had a smart phone app. I would appreciate being able to at least check my balances on my phone and would appreciate being able to deposit checks through my phone even more. Other than those two concerns, I love this bank.

Customer Service Outsourced

Posted by: Isabelle | Apr 10, 2014

Their customer service is all outsourced. Horrible! I will never do business with this bank again!

I Loved Ally, But....

Posted by: lettuce | Nov 3, 2014

I signed up with Ally in 2010. At first, I just used my Ally checking as a secondary account. But I was so happy with their interest rates and service that a few months ago, I gave up my other checking account and made Ally my primary account.

I'm learning that this was a mistake. The rates and service are still good, but the bill pay has been a thorn in my side. Twice, they've sent utility payments in a different amount than what I requested - they were only a few cents off each time, thankfully, but it was still unnerving. What if they make a bigger mistake someday?

More worrisome is that I am typing this review on November 3rd, and my landlord still doesn't have my rent payment that was scheduled to arrive on October 31st. Ally debits on the scheduled delivery date, too - so the money isn't in my account, but my landlord doesn't have it either. Which just stinks for everybody involved. This is the second time this has happened since I switched to Ally as my primary account.

I could blame USPS, but this never happened once in all the years I did autopay with my previous checking account. Suddenly it happens with Ally twice in a few months? This is unacceptable, and definitely not worth the few bucks I get from those nice interest rates.

Ally Bank Is My Primary Institution Because I Hate Fees

I've been an Ally Bank money market checking/online savings/CD customer for a few years (longer than any other institution since rates have been declining).  They have always been in the top 5% of those paying the most interest.  Although I have moved money away from them for short periods when other banks offer more, their consistency has brought me back when the special rates vanished.

When a CD matured recently, I called and asked them to transfer it to my Ally Bank savings account, as I planned to use the money in the next few weeks.  The customer service rep offered up their no penalty CD, which paid more than their checking or savings.  It could be closed after 6 days with just a call, so I said okay (after looking at ALL the details on their website).  They also offered a .25% interest rate bonus to keep the CD with them.  When I called to close it a few weeks later, they were more than accommodating, and it was moved to my checking account promptly.

I also like the fact that they give you a rebate for all ATM charges at the end of each month, and there are no fees for their checks or for maintaining your account.  The only thing I have to watch out for is the 6 withdrawals per month limitation, which is not problem for me (ATM withdrawals are unlimited).

Great If You Do Not Use Any Banking Services

Customer service should be renamed as apology service because there isn't anything much else that they do than apologize.

My other peeve is that they keep changing their bill pay provider (they changed twice in last 12 months) resulting in you having to re-configure some of your payees - that is if you learn about the change in the mail: if not be prepared for a good apology from the CS and bear the consequences of delinquent payments.

Without a doubt, the best bank I've ever worked with

I was extremely skeptical when I first signed up for Ally. That changed after my first phone call. I had forgotten my password and couldn't log on so I had to call in. I don't think I even spent any time on hold. I was in touch with a representative immediately and he was able to resolve my issue within 5 minutes. The only incident where I had a single problem was when I was in rural Peru and had to report a lost/stolen debit card. I was working with 1 bar of shoddy WiFi to use Skype to call in to report it and check if any charges were made. It took about 20 tries until I was finally able to get it resolved and have a new card sent home. I tried to explain to each one of the operators that I was in a situation where I needed to get to the issue immediately instead of go through all the prompts. Each time I called, I got a new operator, I quickly explained my situation(lost/stolen card, calls keep dropping out, in a foreign country, etc), and each time they would insist on going through the prompts. Once the prompts were done, I would start explaining and then the call would drop and I'd have to repeat the process over and over. I know it's company policy but it was extremely annoying and frustrating. The operators themselves were polite as always. I have been recommending Ally to anybody in need of a new bank.

Ally Bank is the best!

Posted by: Hailey | Oct 11, 2014

I have been a member of Ally Bank for 3 years and I love banking with them. No fees and easy to transfer money from my checking account. The website is easy to navigate through. I've had to call customer service a few times to request a cashiers check and the rep has been very polite and responsive and I got my check in the mail within a few days.

Switched all my banking over to Ally!

Posted by: JLockhart | May 26, 2015

I initially decided to try Ally bank after reading several good reviews and seeing their high interest rates over my old bank which had a miserable 0.01% rate. Although I've turned to the internet for many services, I was hesitant to move all my banking online. But whenever I had a question (which was primarily in the beginning when setting up my accounts), I could reach someone through their easy to use website (chat feature) or by sending an email. And they had straight forward questions - I felt like It was a person and not a machine chatting with me. What I lose by switching to an online bank is the ability to deposit cash - but this day and age, how often do people carry cash? I've recommended Ally to many friends and colleagues who are stuck at the big banks that don't allow their money to work for them.

Problems With Ally Bank Cds

Posted by: BrownJackC | Mar 7, 2012

I've had a really good experience with Ally Bank until recently. A couple weeks ago I had a CD mature so I called to have it transferred to my Ally Savings acct (ideally this would be done on-line but Ally does no allow this). The rep told me that the transfer would occur in 1 - 2 business days. I checked four days later and the transfer had not been done. I called and they said there had been "confusion" cc: the transfer so they performed the transfer while I was on the phone. I thought the whole thing strange but everything was handled to my satisfaction.

Then a week a later the same thing occurred with another CD that matured where I was told the transfer would take 1 - 2 days. When it did not occur I followed up and the response was that they were busy and it could take 5 - 7 days to complete the internal transfer of the CD to savings (both at Ally). I objected to this so again they did the transfer while I waited on the phone. I appreciate the fact they were honest with the reason but "being too busy" is a very bizarre answer.

I have had CDs with two other online banks and the redeeming could be done on-line. With Ally requiring a personal contact to do this plus this hassle of actually getting a transfer done plus Ally's very low rates I would not recommend getting a CD with them. However my experience with the savings part of their business has been very good although most new savings now goes to ClearSky Accts (Chesapeake Bk) since their rate is higher than Ally.

Jack Brown

They Appear Friendly, Don't They?

Posted by: mikelogan | Feb 23, 2012

I wouldn't consider them for any product, based on my experience from them managing my car lease.

1) You call to ask questions, and are immedialy routed to india.

2) Fees galore.  I wanted to change my due date to the end of the month, they wanted to charge me $17 per DAY.  I have moved due dates for most things, including previous car leases and loans without a problem. That's a $391 fee to change my due date from the 5th to the 28th.  You would expect this from a crappy bank that services people with bad credit.

Ally Bank And Edeposit

Posted by: Squigmont | Sep 26, 2012

Stand by for a real screwin' when it comes to edeposit. They WILL put a hold on it for at least 7 days. TERRIBLE SERVICE. Upper management is a computer. I believe they're owned by an airlines.....ya know the ones charging a $100.00 fee for a carry on bag. BEWARE of HIDDEN Charges. LOOK at ALL their policies in GREAT detail. BEWARE....stay with your current bank !!!!

Brick-and-mortar banks cannot compete against Ally in terms of features and fees.

Posted by: Casey2015 | Jan 1, 2016

My past banking experiences with standard brick-and-mortar banks have been, for lack of better words, quite terrible. The main problem I have run up against is the myriad fees: monthly account fees, withdrawal fees, transfer fees, check fees, and the big one:ATM fees. Before switching to Ally, I was spending approximately $40 per month on various banking fees. After switching to Ally, I spend nothing on fees, in fact Ally actually credits your account at the end of the month if you did get changed with any ATM fees from out of network ATM charges. This is a much nicer than a $2.50 penalty for not using my previous bank's ATM. I feel much freer to get money out when I need it rather than taking out large quantities just to avoid fees. The customer service at Ally has been great and they accepted all of my details and documents over the phone and Internet, I did not have to send them anything in the mail. This made it really easy to sign up for and when ever I have to call the wait time in the queue is always short. The Ally Mobile Banking app is also handy as it tells you the current queue time, which is usually zero or one minute long. The app is easy to use and never crashes either. Highly recommended bank!

Best Online Bank in the US

Posted by: ACCarlos | Aug 14, 2014

Ally Bank's philosophy is to ensure the consumers' banking satisfaction. Even though they are an online bank -- meaning no physical branch, They have free ATM access (you can call them to reimburse if charged) and 24 hour customer service. The representatives are very friendly and helpful. The ease of application is very welcoming. Also, they do not have a minimum amount required when opening an account. The best thing is their interest rates are the highest in the United States. I think if you are to apply for an online bank, you should consider this wonderful institution.

Happy for 3 Years!

Posted by: LuvAlly | Aug 13, 2014

I have been a customer of Ally Bank for close to three years now. I sought out their services at a time when I was in need of a new bank and needed a new account practically immediately. I searched several different banks that offered online banking until I finally met my match with Ally. I was able to apply for an account and it was approved and opened within one day. For the two types of accounts that I currently utilize, checking and savings, there is no initial deposit required which was a very big plus for me. It can get hard finding an ATM at times that you can use with Ally but I mostly do cash back with my purchases, though the ATM Finder is a nice tool to help compatible ATM's and establishments that offer cash back. Cash back does incur a charge at certain places but Ally will reimburse you for such charges.
I usually deposit my checks on my computer, I used the app when I had an Android phone. It was very easy and convenient to deposit my checks with the Ally app for Android. I miss that ability now that I am using a Blackberry and it would be nice if there was an app available for that platform. Ally is very generous about overdraft fees as well, i have over-drafted my account about three times within the past year, each time my account was replenished in about a day and I wasn't charged for the mistake. Overall Ally has been very convenient and reliable, I have never been charged a fee since I've used this bank, it is very user friendly and provides a great experience. I doubt that I would be as happy with any other bank.

I'll never go back to a brick-and-mortar bank again

Posted by: ShellyS. | Jul 30, 2014

I switched to Ally four years ago after moving to an area where my previous bank didn't have any branches. I wasn't sure how working with an online bank would go, but it's been great! No real fees for anything, reimbursed ATM fees, helpful customer service available via phone and online chat 24/7, and amazing web and mobile features. I love being able to deposit a check by taking a picture of it with my phone. The only downside is not being able to deposit cash, but we have cash so rarely that it's not really an issue for us at all.

Ally Bank is a great bank

Posted by: Jack8 | Dec 17, 2015

I have been with Ally Bank for over 4 years now and love how easy it is to get things accomplished. Need to order checks? No problem those are free forever. ALL ATM fees are reimbursed on your closing date, website experience is responsive and easy without needing to use a dedicated phone or tablet app. Like banking apps? Ally has one as well and works well from my experiences on Android, Windows Phone, or iOS. Overdraft fees are relatively lower compared to the competition. Lost your debit card? I have twice and they replaced it for free. There is a $15 charge for expedited replacement and shipping via FedEx. They have reps 24/7 and never have to go through a difficult phone system just to reach a live person.

They also went to bat for me when I had a creditor who was claiming payments were not being made via eChecks and put stop order on the automatic debit and reimbursed me for subsequent charges that the creditor has made.

Assuming you can pass a credit check, Ally Bank is a great bank to be with and will take care of your every need as if they were right down the street. Highly recommended.

Great Alternative To Traditional Banking

Posted by: Quinn | Dec 13, 2015

I have had an account with Ally Bank for about six years and in that time I have been quite pleased with them. Their customer service is excellent and have always been able to answer my questions and concerns. I once forgot my password and ended up having to call them for assistance. The customer rep I spoke with was very understanding and good natured, even after I said I realized what my correct password was. I also very much approve of their process wherein you can photograph a check and upload the images for deposit, rather than wait for it to arrive by mail. It's very helpful if you need something deposited quickly. My only minor complaint with Ally is that their mobile app is somewhat unstable and doesn't include all of the features that the website does. Other than that I think they've been great, and I really enjoy having a checking account that doesn't have a "maintenance fee" attached to it.

Ally is your ally.

Posted by: CJRamses | Mar 25, 2015

I have been dealing with Ally Bank for a few years now. I use them for my business. They cannot be beaten when it comes to a good bank for business transactions. I opened a business checking account and it has been everything I hoped for. The low minimum balance requirements are great and allow me to shift money between banks without worrying about paying huge fees. I have called customer service a few times for some complicated transactions. I had no problem completing them and the banker walked me through all the steps. The bank is a breeze to use online. They have everything you would ever need including online access. Status and balance updates are great to receive and help you manage your money much better. Ally truly is a great bank. They work for you and they truly have your back.

Horrible Customer Service

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 30, 2012

This bank has got to be the worst bank ever. I tried to open an account online and was told they needed additional information and to call a toll free number and give them some reference number that was something like 25 digits long. After I gave them that info it took about 10 minutes for them to locate my information. Once they found it they told me that they couldn't let me know what information they needed and that I would be contacted in about 3-5 business days. Even though, the reps were friendly and trying to help I found it rather ridiculous that they couldn't tell me what info they needed to complete the process. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK. THEY ARE NOT PROGRESSIVE ENOUGH FOR THE 21ST CENTURY APPARENTLY.

Great bank!

Posted by: jumper | Dec 3, 2015

I have used Ally Bank for several months now, and have had a very pleasant experience with them, both online and over the phone. The support was very courteous and timely. I requested an additional card and received it through standard mail in record time. I was very impressed.

Greta banking experience!

Posted by: JESSILLYN | Nov 27, 2015

I love this bank! I moved to Ally because my other bank kept charging me all kinds of fees just to have my business. I switched to Ally and all that is over, there is no more hidden fees. I have been with them for 2 years now and I have saved a lot of money just between the fees from the other bank and the high APY. I've only had a problem once with a direct deposit. I called the toll free number, talked to a CS rep, and it was fixed right up the next morning. They also have an app which my old bank did not. it's so convenient and easy to bank now. I can deposit checks and transfer money all quickly and easily through the app. Ally is definitely worth five stars!

Great Service

Posted by: dclady | Nov 27, 2015

I have used Ally for my online savings account for years and find the the rates to be competitive. It has been a great experience and the account features are easy to understand and use with few to no fees for regular use of the account. Recently, I had a very positive customer service experience and was very satisfied with the professionalism and understanding of Ally's customer service staff. No to mention, connecting with a real customer service representative was easy and fast, compared to other banks that throw you into an automated black hole. Five stars!

Good Customer Service

Posted by: fennecfox | Apr 20, 2011

Have had CDs and savings account with Ally for over two years now; every time I've needed to move, open, or close something, Ally customer service has been friendly and efficient. High rates are good; low frustration is even better.

This Is What A Bank Should Be Like

Posted by: getfi3ry | Feb 11, 2015

I have an account with Ally Bank. They are not available locally in my state, however, I wouldn't chance to give this bank up for anything else. I had no problem updating my information when I moved to another state. I had no problems with the security codes being delivered via mobile phone or via email. If there was potentially a problem, I always had an adequate experience with a live chat representative or a customer service representative over the phone. There was a maximum of a 1-2 minute wait time to get a real person to talk to which I value very much. I haven't had the best time with other banks because of that reason. Ally Bank also reimburses you at the end of each month for any ATM fees that accrue. Even more impressive, anytime I transfer money from any online account to my Ally Bank, it takes less than 3 days for the deposit to post. Ally also has competitive interest rates. Like anything else, the higher your average/maintained daily balance is, the more interest you will receive. Just overall, I am a happy customer. I am sure that other Ally Bankers know exactly what I am talking about.

Great For My Son

When my son left for his freshman year at college this fall, I needed to quickly find a bank with no monthly fees that allowed him to use an ATM card without a transaction fee, and that also provided check writing and online banking. We opened a dual-named account so that I could both monitor his spending, and so that I could get cash to him in a hurry if he needed it. Ally Bank has met all of his and my banking needs, and he has not even overdrawn his first ATM account! This is the first online account I have used, and it also allows me to scan in checks from home. This account is perfect for our needs.

Good experience with Ally Bank

I've been with Ally Bank for about a year and a half, and so far all of my experiences have been positive. When I joined, there was either no minimum deposit or a very minimal one (I don't recall exactly, but I know I didn't need to make a large deposit.) My first set of checks were free, and the most appealing thing is that all ATM withdrawals are free. Not only does Ally not charge me a fee, but they also refund the charge that the ATM charges me at the end of my billing cycle. ATM fees these days can be pretty outrageous, so Ally refunding the fees is a huge perk.

I haven't had to deal with customer service too many times, but both times I did, they were very helpful. The first time, I had trouble activating my new debit card because I wasn't sure which code I was supposed to enter, but the person who spoke to me when I called customer assistance was very helpful. Another time, I'd forgotten my password for the website and had to call to get it reset, and the process was fairly simple. I just had to verify few secret questions and my information, and they were able to reset it for me.

My experiences with Ally Bank have all been good, and based on my experiences, I can recommend them to others.

Beware Of Company That Change There Name

Posted by: tom123456 | Sep 9, 2012

The reason I start off with Beware of companys or banks that change there names  Is that  this is gereral motors old bank... GMAC with some make up !

You can change a name does not mean a better bank.  They will never ever be a good bank.

Ridiculous Delay For An Internal Tranfer

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 12, 2012

I have both CD's and an an online savings account at Ally. Due to low interest rates, I'm closing CD's as they mature and "doing something else" with the money.

A few months ago, an Ally CD matured. Through secure email, I set things up in advance to have the CD closed and all funds deposited into my Ally online savings account upon maturity. The money was available either the maturation day, or the day after (I no longer remember). That's reasonable. I initiated a transfer to my own bank, and two or three days later the money was available to me. That's also reasonable.

I now have another Ally CD about to mature. I've been told that "due to security reasons" they can no longer arrange for CD closures through secure email. That's a PITA, but okay, it just means I have to call them on the day it matures.

What really burns my butt, though, is their new policy for internal transfer times: 3-6 days to close my Ally CD and transfer the money to my Ally online savings account. What?!?! That's a rip-off; considering the amount of the CD, that's about $40 in interest I'll lose waiting for them to transfer my money from one Ally account to another Ally account. Ally might as well send someone to my house, kick me in the ****, and steal $40 from my wallet while I'm lying on the ground.

I'm now deciding if I should close all my CD's, in case Ally decides to change their 60-day early withdrawal fee language. Ally's change in internal transfer time doesn't bode well; I might be better off eating the 60-day fee, which I could expect to (though not guaranteed) make up with the "something else" I'm doing with my CD money.

Overall A Great Bank

Posted by: dc2121 | Nov 8, 2010

I opened an account with Ally a few months ago and overall it has been great.
Initially depositing money in my newly opened account took 2 tries, although Ally was undergoing maintenance during this period so I don't know if they are fully to blame Their phone and chat customer service has been very good all but one time and has helped solve all of my problems Their interest rates are great compared to my Bank of America account What I really love is their ATM fee reimbursement, which means that you can withdrawal money from any ATM and Ally will refund the service fee that you are charged. It really makes my life easier knowing I do not have to worry about going out of my way to find certain ATMs that won't charge me a fee. Derek, College Student

A Terrible Banking Experience

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 19, 2012

I tried using ally bank for several months. The features were nice, but it is NOT worth the hassle.

They constantly treat you like a criminal and make little things like depositing a check made out to your middle name instead of your first name a huge hassle.

The final stray was when I tried to make a wire transfer. The whole process took 3 days, which had me continually scanning and faxing forms and documents (this is not how a wire transfer should be handled). Eventually they told me they didn't like my signature on one of the forms and 3 days of time was wasted.

The Best Bank for New Yorkers

Although Ally does not have any physical branches, I found them to be the best bank for me. I was first intrigued because they reimburse you all of your ATM fees. As a New York-er who is constantly on the go, this stuck out to me the most. Many businesses in NYC are cash only, and where I currently reside, Brooklyn, does not have many Bank of America branches. I was constantly paying ATM fees so I could get cash to go to my favorite establishments. But with Ally I did not have to stress about high ATM fees because I would be getting reimbursed anyways! Another plus is that all three accounts I have with them have interest rates that kill the competition's. I am earning interest in my savings, checking, and money market account. I have had to call Ally bank on two separate occasions. Once my checks were lost in the mail, and another time I was requesting a debit card. Each time I called I was only on hold for a moment and I spoke to reps who spoke perfect English and were overall very friendly! The connection was also clear. I did not feel uncomfortable during my calls and I hung up feeling 100% satisfied. I use the Ally banking app to transfer money between my Ally accounts and also to/from my Bank of America account and I have never had any issues with the app. I think Ally is a great bank and I have absolutely no complaints. I will be a lifelong customer.

Opening New Account

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 27, 2012

I have quite a lot of experience opening accounts with various banks around the country, but have never been subject to the red tape I was exposed to at Ally Bank. Before opening a $250,000 money market account for me, they wanted a copy of my social security card and told me they would have to run a credit report on me. Never had to supply a social security card anywhere.....only the number. As to the credit report, I told them they had it wrong! I was loaning them money, NOT the reverse.

Ally Privacy Problem

Posted by: cactus | Jan 18, 2014

When the letters come a month before the end of each batch of CDs, the phrase "RE: Certificate of Deposit Maturity Notice" is displayed in the giant window of each window envelope. Not very privacy conscious!

Ally bank is a great internet bank.

Posted by: MJH | Oct 13, 2015

This bank has great customer service. I have a checking account with them, and I had to call regarding an error in my account and it was corrected immediately. They don't charge monthly service charges, which is a big savings over other banks I have used. I have never had any problem with their website, and have always been able to access it whenever I needed to. Overall probably the best internet bank out there.

Good For Simple Savings Accounts

Posted by: leeabe51 | Feb 10, 2013

I have had 3 savings accounts with Ally for just over a year. I have the accounts set up to do transfers to and from three accounts at other banks (checking and brokerage). Never had any issues. Transfers take one day if I initiate the transfer through my USAA account, 2 days if I do the transfer from Ally. Never had a reason to call customer service so cannot comment on that side of things. The website is very easy to use and laid out well.

Only complaint is the fluctuating interest rates. In the year I have been there they have been all over the place. They do still remain competitive though so it has not been worth the effort to move my money elsewhere.

If you just need a simple savings account, where you can wait a couple of days to get your money, Ally is great.

Better than expected.

Posted by: aem878 | Nov 12, 2014

I was nervous about getting a CD at Ally bank. They don't have any physical branches, so I was worried it was a scam or I would have some trouble and not be able to get my money back. However, I was really pleased with how they handled my 1 year CD. I sat it up online and then had to mail them a check from current bank as a deposit. Then they called me and sent me some stuff in the mail.

They are a good bank as far as interest rates go, but they cannot replace your local bank, and that's not good.

A Great Bank with Less Than Perfect Online Interface

Posted by: Lane | Oct 3, 2015

I recently moved most of my money in savings accounts into the online savings at Ally, due to the superior interest rates; given that the interest rates at Ally are almost 100-fold better than those at brick and mortar institutions and Ally is FDIC Insured, I would recommend this to anyone who is aiming to save for something in the short term.

The online banking and apps that Ally has are the downfall though - they simply don't have the same amount of features as other more standard banks. For example, if you make a large deposit from another account at another bank, the app tells you that because of the size of the deposit, it won't all be available in the account right away - which is fine, except for the fact that the transaction disappears completely, from both the online banking login and from the app. The money ended up in the account correctly, but it was a bit worrisome at that time. I also had some difficulty getting transfers without using checks from other banks to work, they always end up getting rejected.

Other than this, Ally's interest rates make it a solid choice.

Ally Bank Is Amazing - No Fees

Posted by: EricW | Oct 2, 2015

I don't know how to put into words how great this bank is. There are no monthly fees, customer service is great, and you can get a live person in usually a minute. The interest rate on checking and savings accounts is unbeatable, no ATM Fees period! You can access account easily by app, website, and can deposit a check using your phone which is really cool. There are no negatives, and I highly recommend people switch to this bank because it is hands down the best out there!

Ally Bank is Great Bank

Posted by: Sara | Oct 21, 2014

Ally Bank provides one of the best interest rates for savings accounts and certificate of deposit accounts. As an Internet bank, the money you can earn on your savings is far better than what you would earn at a traditional bank. There are almost no fees at Ally Bank. I have had an account at this bank for many years, and have never received a fee for anything. There is no minimum amount necessary to keep the account open, and no transfer fees. So if you want to transfer money in and out of your checking account, they will not charge you anything. They have the best customer service as well. If you call them, they quickly answer the phone, and give you an estimate of your waiting time. The 'chat' feature of their online banking is especially helpful, quick, and convenient.

Banking Made Easy

Posted by: MrsK | Oct 21, 2014

Setting up my new account was fast and easy, and linking my new account to my existing account was also a simple process. The website is secure and reliable, and transfers only take a day or two. I love the convenience of having an Internet account. I'd highly recommend Ally bank to anyone!

Great Experience

Posted by: Aaron14 | Oct 12, 2014

I've been using Ally bank for about two years now, and have never had any bad experiences. When I first setup my account, I was offered a $50 account opening bonus, which I received less than a week after my account was activated. I've never had any issues with inexplicable fees showing up -- in fact I don't believe I've ever been charged a fee by Ally. The interface is clean and easy-to-use. Everything with Ally is simple and straight-forward. Overall, I feel that Ally's one of the best banks around.

Ally Checking Account

Posted by: AcMcC | Oct 10, 2014

I chose to bank with Ally after having searched the internet for a while for the best reviews of banks and their products. Ally had appealing interest rates-which are extremely hard to come by lately-and their reviews boasted of their great customer service and quality of products. I like using Ally because it is convenient to use online and has the features I like. It is not complicated at all. The only thing that I don't like (which is the same with most banks) is that when I initiate a transfer to or from my other accounts at a different bank, it takes days to complete. That is a bit inconvenient. But their customer service line is great, they send me anything I need or request right away, and they take a great interest in their customers and how they can be of assistance. The card is fantastic and has never given me any problems, and, again, the interest rate is great on this checking account compared to rates on accounts at my other bank. I'm very pleased with Ally, and will continue to explore and use their services. I would recommend them to a friend or family member.

Overall Great Bank

Posted by: Jason6 | Oct 8, 2014

Ally Bank has the best interest rates for online savings accounts that I have seen anywhere. I originally signed up for an account with Ally because of their rates, but eventually I really began to appreciate how easy Ally was to use. When I set up my account, customer service representatives reached out to me to assist me with learning how to use their site. Whenever I have a question, they have a live chat option which is very convenient. When calling customer service, I have never had to wait more than a minute or two for my call to be taken. Overall, Ally is a great bank and I highly recommend them.

Allys Policies Regarding Online Payments To Paypal

Posted by: foxtrekker | Nov 2, 2012

Ally bank makes payments to paypal even if you don not have the funds in your account to pay it.

Paypal is equipped to go to an alternate source if there is not sufficient funds so this should not happen.

Ally advertises on ebay, which uses paypal as its primary source for purchases as shown in my link below so they should be equipped to handle payments from them, but they are not.

Online banking review

Posted by: Jon15 | Sep 11, 2015

I have been with Ally Bank for 4 years now. I switched to it from Discover Bank primarily due to Ally Bank's more competitive interest rates. However, since moving there they took a hit. Still though the bank has one of the more competitive rates on savings account. I like the fact that transferring money to and from the bank is hassle free and free of charge. What I dislike a bit is that they limit the amount of outbound transaction to just six and that it is nearly impossible (or at least I haven't been able to figure it out) to wire money to and from international accounts. Ally Bank only works fine within the United States. And that can be a major drawback for those who would like to transfer money internationally.

Spotty Service. Nice, But Uninformed Customer Service Reps.

I expect banks to have rock solid, secure service. Service with Ally has been spotty over the course of the 6 months I've had them. One recent example was a double transfer of funds that happened between my Chase account and Ally. I had initiated a transfer of $500. Ally inexplicably transferred an additional $500. I called and was told that the glitch was caused by the installation of new system software. It has taken a week to resolve. Much of it having to do with lack of communications between the people in the back-end operations and the customer service reps. (even supervisor level). I wish they would get their act together because I really like the concept of a virtual bank, and not being charged for ATM use.

The benefits outweigh the negatives

Posted by: AlexJ | Sep 9, 2015

To begin with, I'll say that the reason I chose Ally Bank was because my former bank was starting to charge me a 7 or 8 dollar monthly fee because I had a balance less than 1000 dollars. Ally has no minimum balance. Once you set up your account with Ally they send you a debit card by mail and some checks. One thing I really like about Ally is that when you login they provide you with easy access to your account and debit card number. With previous institutions I had to dig through their site for even my account number and then I'd have to look on google for their routing number. The worst thing about Ally has to be depositing cash. You can't do it easily. You would have to do a money order and send it to them, give cash to a friend and have them write you a check, or some other complicated and perhaps expensive method. If you had a physical bank account of course it would not be much problem but considering the fact that I got this online account because I wanted to get rid of maintenance fees, then that was not a viable option. Overall, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with their service.

Low Fee Internet Bank

Posted by: AnitaG207 | Sep 17, 2014

I got sick of my original bank because I kept getting charged outrageous fees. For example, I was overdrawn in my checking account though my savings account had plenty of money. I was over by $2.00 and got charged a $30 fee. With Ally as long as you're overdrawn less than $10 you don't get charged anything. And I believe the fee for overdrawing is a a small percentage of what other banks charge. Plus, I was hit by fraud during Christmas time. So enough was enough. I decided signing up for Ally was easy enough. I absolutely love the mobile check deposit. They also have a program called Pop Money where you can transfer money to your bills or even personal accounts. I sent some money to my mom and it worked great free of charge. Also you get a certain number of fee reimbursements for ATMs every month which makes it very convenient though they do not have their own ATMs as far as I know. Customer service has been awesome when I had to call them, I was connected with a person immediately. Online banking is simple and reliable. So far I'm impressed with this bank.

Great for Saving

Posted by: Eli | Aug 28, 2014

Ally bank is an online bank wth very competitive interest rates that makes saving very easy. They reimburse you for ATM fees which makes accessing your money not a problem. Although they have a dedicated customer hot line it can be a wait sometime and it doesn't have the convience of a physical bank. Still if you don't need a physical bank it is a great bank to go with.

Saving Review

Posted by: SLynnP | Aug 24, 2014

I have a savings account with Ally bank. I have to say initially it scared me to just give all in my information over the internet and make transfers. I usually prefer to have confirmations with people so I'm 100% sure where my money is going. After the initial skepticism I found myself to really enjoy online banking, it was extremely easy to get my money transferred to other accounts and I enjoyed the ease of being able to do it from work or home. I received multiple confirmations and was able to track progress on the website. I contacted customer service once because my account was locked due to incorrect password attempts and they were efficient and I didn't wait on hold forever. They also have an estimated wait time on the home page which is very helpful.

Best rates, good service, but a bad mobile app

Posted by: Iden | Aug 24, 2014

I have banked with Ally Bank since 2010. I was initially attracted by their CD and interest checking account rates, as these were higher than the national average at the time. While they have come down significantly during the recession, they still have rates that are competitive with or better than what you will find at a Big Four bank.

Ally has 24 hour customer service online, which is great. Ally also has a secure email system within your account portal for direct questions that cannot be resolved by an attendant. The few times I've had to use this feature, I received a response within a business day.

Ally is an internet-only bank, which means there are no physical locations to go to to deposit checks, talk to representatives or handle any problems. Most of the time, this isn't a problem, as the online experience is great and you can deposit checks by mail. However, the mobile experience was initially terrible. The iPhone app that was available was buggy and crashed routinely. Until recently, it didn't even have a direct deposit of a check by photo, which many other banks do have. Thankfully, that was fixed and it is a feature on the app.

Ally provides free standard checks, which is great, and reimburses all fees at all ATMs nationwide - from a competing bank or from a standalone ATM at a gas station, it does not matter. This feature is one of the best things about my account and one of the reasons I don't want to leave.

Overall, Ally has many more positives than negatives. I'd give it a solid 4/5, with a 5/5 if the app ever gets up to where it could be.

Great Bank, No Hassles

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 1, 2012

Have had a savings account with them for over 3 years. I don't know what others are complaining about. I opened my account easily and move money between accounts all the time and never had a problem. Just wish the rates were a little higher but who doesn't.

Extremely good customer service.

Posted by: JOtter | Aug 16, 2014

Ally has been a great bank to work with. They are always accessible (chat, email, or phone) and bend over backwards to please their customers. They have on many occasions waived fees or charges if I simply call and have been very fair. I would recommend their services to most people that use traditional brick and mortar banks that CHARGE you to be an account holder.

Alright

Posted by: YOMama111 | Aug 15, 2014

My auto loan is through Ally. I've had not trouble working with them as of yet. Their fees are moderate. When I was hurt at work, fell down some steps, broke my finger, and sprained my knee... they worked with me on late payments, and allowed me to delay two. I find them understanding, and not annoying. Some banks, when you are late one day call three times/day. Any problems I've had, I've just called them, and they've help me set something up, or taken care of it. Pleasure to do business with.

Ally Review

Posted by: Livin | Aug 13, 2014

Ally banking has been a breath of fresh air with regard to my personal finance. The products are a lot better than any banking products I have ever used, including Credit Unions's products. The ability to move money around is really easy and the support staff is really friendly and useful.

Ally Bank - Excellent Customer Service!

Posted by: JMac42 | Aug 11, 2014

I switched to Ally about a year ago, because I was moving to a new city due to work and wasn't sure what local banks existed. I am so happy I went with Ally - competitive rates on my Savings account, and interest Checking for one thing. Also, all ATM fees are refunded completely, and the phone number you call for customer service leads to a real person. I went overseas for a business trip, and they were extremely courteous on my call to them. I had no problems at all using my card in 2 different countries. The turnaround from submitting a deposit via smartphone app to seeing the money show up in my account is under 48 hours. This is a great bank, and I couldn't imagine switching to another online bank company.

A Convenient and Modern Bank

Posted by: Mary14 | Jul 30, 2014

After being with a small local bank in my hometown since I was 16, a cross country move prompted me to look for a new bank. I was very pleasantly surprised to see the awesome option of online banking. I love to be able to check my balance online, make transfers, and so on. My Ally account is FREE! In addition to that, I have had ZERO problems with anything since opening the account 6 months ago. I can check on my money anytime, anywhere. I thought I would switch to an "in person" bank after moving but I changed my mind -- sticking with Ally!

Great bank with minor drawbacks.

Posted by: AlexH | Jul 30, 2014

I have been with ally for roughly 2 years as of now. They offer very competitive interest rates while not blindsiding you with excessive fees like many banks that charge low balance fees. I have found their customer service to be extremely help, but definitely a little chatty. Their website is very easy to use, depositing checks online can sometimes have a few hiccups depending on your browser and scanner. I found the mobile app for android to be of disappointing quality because it is merely a port of the iPhone version.

What a bank I love

Posted by: Bera | Jul 25, 2014

I have been an Ally customer since 2011 or 2012. I have had bad experiences with other banks and this is why I am with ALLY.
A few of the features they serve help you from being overdrawn and saves time.
I am able to call Ally Bank anytime of the day which is so convenient for me since I travel for business internationally. I am uncertain if other banks allow customers to have a new card for any reasons, but My bank does and there is NEVER a charge.

Overall I love this bank!

I really love my savings account! For beginners, you don't need a minimum deposit to even open an account with them. This really helped me get a jump on savings because I was able to open the account before I got the money. There are no crazy fees and they make it easy to deposit and transfer money online. The interest rate isn't so bad. The only thing I wish was better was that it takes 3-5 days to transfer funds out of the savings account. Then again, this might be to deter you from withdrawing ;) I would recommend this bank to anyone!

Efficient online banking

Posted by: Dean14 | Jul 25, 2014

I love banking online with Ally! Compared with brick and mortar banks, its been a god sent. More efficient, much lower fees, attentive staff and so much more convenient. I think the max convenience and the higher returns on acct interest are what really sold me. I'll never go back to traditional banking. I wish I had begun online banking a lot sooner than I actually did. It would have saved me lots of time and made me lots more money!

No Response On New App Status

Posted by: Joe Smith | Jul 22, 2014

It appears that Ally has trouble in the "new accounts" dept. I applied for one on July 2nd, and was told that they would respond in three to five days. Still no word from them. I tried to get an update from them a few times, then gave up.
What a lousy bank!

The Place to Save

I've had an Ally Bank saving account for almost two years and it's the place for saving money. Their interest rates are the best I've found. The customer service is excellent. I try to do everything myself online but the times I've needed them they are there no matter the hour. My only regret is I did not start saving with them sooner.

Great Bank!

Posted by: investor | Jul 18, 2014

I have a Checking and a Savings account with Ally and I have not had any issues. Great rates, no hidden fees, every time I have had to call about something the customer service has been great. I really like the way their website and mobile app is set-up. If you're a person that does a lot of banking having to go inside then of course this bank is not for you but for me it is the best bank I have used and I will never change banks as long as they keep it up!

This Bank Sucks!

Do not use ally!! Very displeased. Something happens every week, and never get any proper assistance. I'm moving on.

Rock On Ally.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 26, 2012

I'm not a fan of the banking industry, but thus far I have not had a single issue with Ally CDs. With the renewal bonus I've found their rates have been very competitive in the U.S.

Rich P.

Rochester, NY

Won't Bank With Them

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2012

I have been banking with Ally for over a year. They asked me to provide a street address and said cannot accept PO Box address. I gave the required street address. Few days later I got these emails from ally bank that said my accounts were closed. When I call the customer service, they realized that the address is not updated on my account and because of that all accounts were closed. I was not even informed a minute ahead that my accounts including CDs are going to be closed. They said they cannot restore it and I was charged early withdrawal fees on my accounts. Had I not opted for email communication, I would have not found out that my accounts were closed until couple of days later. I would never bank with someone who close my accounts without informing me.

an ally to the consumers

Posted by: Jimmy | Jul 12, 2014

As a multiple account holder, I recommend Ally as my main bank. I also use a credit union, but ally covers everything my credit union does not. It allows me transfer money to another person using popmoney for free! Although all major banks have it, no credit union has this feature. I also enjoy the fact that they use a simple interface to make it easy on the eyes. They also have convenient features like depositing checks using the smart app and the support is literally 24/7 and they give awesome answers right to the point. I recommend you to use this bank if you haven't already!

A very good option for guaranteed college savings

Posted by: Hokie2009 | Jul 31, 2015

For an older twenty-something looking to return to college in the near future, the traditional student savings and investment options can seem a bit out-of-touch. Tax-deferred 529 plans are great for long-term investment, but what if you're going back to school in 3-5 years and need to know that you'll be getting more out of your account than what went in? Investing in the stock market can be risky in the short term. I looked at guaranteed-return options, and found that Ally's 0.99% online savings was the best way to go, from not only a rates point of view but also having some of the best customer service around. I've yet to have a problem that required an advanced resolution, but they've been responsive for my needs so far.

Near Perfect

High interest rates, no fees, no minimums, the ability to create additional savings accounts for kids, great apps with support for Windows Phone, phone deposits, great web site, reimburse for ATMs.

What more could I want? Maybe a Universal Windows 10 app. If they had small business accounts, my banking world would be set.

Average Bank

Posted by: Tee | Jun 16, 2014

I give this bank a average rating in each category listed.

Ally Is OK

Posted by: bobby927 | Apr 26, 2013

A lot of negative reviews about Ally.  I frankley never had any problems with them.  They even refunded several over draft fees for me.  I did however leave Ally for Cap One 360 which is also a very nice online bank.. I like their customer service and their terms a little better.  They also offer a $50 cash bonus for using your debit card.  0 FEES however is the best part. Not even overdraft fees!

The above link will offer you several different promotions they are currently offering.

As for Ally, they where also a good bank.  I just like cap 1 much better.

Amazing Bank!

Ally Bank is the best bank out there, by far. Not only do they offer the most competitive rates on their deposit accounts but they also refund any ATM fees you are charged from other banks! The only suggestion I would have would be to update the online banking web page. I have been banking with Ally for several years now and I am truly satisfied!

Best Bank I've Ever Had!

Posted by: Ycarrillo1 | Feb 8, 2012

0 fees at all. Super good customer service 24/7. You can chat, email and call them any day any time. Unlimited atm refunds. Competitive rates, nationwide. Free checks, free deposit slips, free postage paid envelopes, free online billpay, free ebill, you can deposit your checks by scanning them with your home printer and send them using the Ally webpage software, you can transfer money between your various Ally accounts, other banks accounts and you can even send money to people with Popmoney service by just using that person's cell phone number or email! They even offer free antimalware protection for their customers coputers (all your computers) They have the Ally perks, a great savings tool by using your debit card with participating retailers instore or online. Ally bank, just makes a lot of sense! I definitely recommend this bank. The only thing that keeps them from getting a perfect score is that they have not develop an android, Iphone , tablet app yet. But, Ally already stated that they are working on it. 4 stars out of five for Ally bank.

Good Service, Reasonable Fee, Some Interest

Posted by: MassMatt | Jul 11, 2015

I've had an Ally Bank account for about four years and have found that it meet my needs, which are; 1) no fees or avoidable fees, 2) easy use, 3) some interest payment. I don't bounce checks or overdraft so I can't speak to the fees but then again, since I manage my money, I don't really care about the fees. The only fee I could possible experience is ATM fees. Ally provides reimbursement on two withdrawal per months, which is fine with me. The interface is clean and easy to use. It was reworked about three months ago. The look changed but the functionality didn't. There was a little bit of searching within the new interface, but I figured everything out within a short time. Finally, the savings account pays a fair amount of interest - at least given today's market for money.

Would Be 5 Stars, But...

If you do not need to talk to a teller or frequently make deposits, you can't do much better than Ally. Rates are great, customer service is pretty good, and free external transfers are a really nice feature, as are ATM reimbursements and free, unlimited checks.

There are two main reasons they don't get 5 stars from me:

1. I had a pervasive issue with my debit card PIN not functioning and getting rejected about once a month, but that has since been resolved through customer service.

2. No remote check deposit in their android app. I figure it'll only be a matter of time, but for now it's detrimental when their customers primarily bank almost exclusively online. They do provide postage-paid deposit envelopes in lieu of this, but remote deposit would just be better.

Love Ally Bank!

My wife and I love Ally Bank because we can do everything online. Their mobile app is very easy to use, convenient, and compatible with iPhone. The layout on their mobile app is very easy to navigate and clear. Even though I have never been to an Ally Bank branch in person, I feel connected to the bank and I feel that they are honest. Their website includes a wait time estimator so that you can see how long you will wait if you were to place a call at that moment. They also have extended hours until around 11:00 PM on weekdays, as well as weekend hours. Their savings accounts are cool because they have no minimum, which is good for me because sometimes we withdraw our money for vacations, etc and we know our account will not be negatively impacted. If you are a Facebook user, you can follow Ally on Facebook!

Ally is a great option for an internet bank

Ally is a great internet bank. I have been with them for near 5 years now. I love the no fees and easy to understand accounts. I have had multiple CD accounts and an online savings account. Moving money between ally accounts and non ally accounts couldn't be simpler. I have a BoA checking account and link my Ally online account to it so I can easily transfer money between them. Ally also has a checking account option but I haven't needed to use it yet.

The CD's are nice. The rates are very competitive. There are many no fee options which I love. I don't think I've ever paid a single 'fee' for anything since i joined ally. When a CD hits maturity, it's auto moved into another CD with an improved rate. Also, online chat support is great and always available for me.

the only issue i can see is its not easy to make deposits since they dont have physical locations. you just have to mail it in so it takes a few days but works great. overall i strongly recommend ally!

Good Bank And Attention

Posted by: delavega | Feb 28, 2014

Ally is a good bank for me

Ally deserves its reputation.

For the most part, the days of earning interest with a bank on a savings account are long gone. Ally Bank has brought that back though. I opened a savings account and a checking account with Ally. Even the checking account earns a bit of interest. Sure, it's not a huge percent but it's nice to see a return on giving your money to a bank to invest. Almost all banks these days like to act as though they're the ones doing you a service rather than you being the one giving them money to invest and profit from. The other unique thing about Ally is that you don't get charged for using ATMs anywhere--it's not just that Ally doesn't charge you, they actually reimburse you for service charges levied by other banks and ATMs.

Great Bank

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 23, 2010

Great bank, fast ACH.  Offered a .5% loyalty bump on their CD at maturity (after first offering a .25% bump).  Was also willing to modify the term (from 12 mos to 9 or 6 mos - although I chose to stay with 12 mos).  Highly recommended.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 12, 2011

Ally Bank is really a good bank, I have a savings and CDs with them. I will open a checking once they release their electronic check deposit. On CD renewal day, they offered me a 25% bonus. The only con is that they now use Cashedge system for ACH so it takes an extra day. Good interface online and 24h customer support.

Ally's service is unparalleled!

I've been an Ally banking customer for several years now and I have yet to find a comparable banking experience. Not only does Ally offer the best interest rates for savings and CD accounts, but the service is so easy to use. Transfers go through in no time and I've never had a problem navigating the site or setting up and interacting with my accounts.

With that said, I have certainly forgotten my password before, which required me to use Ally's customer service. Ally's customer service is just as reliable as their banking products. The agent I spoke with was friendly, understanding, and she resolved my problem within minutes. I didn't have to wait on hold for a representative, either.

Overall, I've been extremely pleased with my Ally service and would recommend this bank to anyone.

Great Online Bank!

Posted by: tamisun5 | May 9, 2015

Ally Bank is my first experience with online banks and they have not disappointed so far. They have great interest rates, nearly almost one percent for a savings account. And opening an account, whether checking or savings or otherwise, just takes seconds. I could do it with a simple click of a button. It is so easy that I currently have all five of my accounts with them. They have the best customer service I have ever seen in a bank; when I call them weekly to unlock my account because I could not remember my password, they always help me change my password quickly and without shaming me. I wait for 15 seconds maximum for a representative to answer my call. They are amazing and they do make everything so easy. They even send me checks and everything else I would ever need. I will never go back to a location brick and mortar bank!

Still using a brick and mortar bank? You need to consider Ally right now!

Posted by: JoninGA | May 4, 2015

I have been an Ally Bank customer for almost 10 years, with an online savings account and several CDs. By every measure I have been very satisfied with this banking experience. While lots of online banks offer high interest accounts that are competitive with Ally, in my experience Ally distinguishes itself with customer service that is second to none. When I call Ally by phone, I speak to an actual human being very quickly. The customer service reps can quickly access my information and walk me through just about any transaction or issue. Of course, on a week to week basis the Ally website and mobile apps are sufficient to take care of all of my normal banking needs. So, if you are still earning an embarrassingly low savings rate at your brick and mortar bank, you need to head to Ally's website now and review their products. You will not regret moving your accounts.

Love Ally Online Savings Account

Posted by: Bill6362 | May 4, 2015

I signed up for this account back in 2012. Did this as a way to divert online money payments that I make to an easy online place. I also wanted some kind of interest. The whole thing works great. I only need to make several clicks and I am sending my money to be saved. It also is very easy to link my checking account to it in order to transfer savings if I need it. I also have used the customer service several times and they are very helpful. They also have good security from what I can tell. I wish the interest was higher but it is better than my local credit union. They also have raised it since I have singed up. I also like how they have a calculator that shows how much interest you are getting per day, this provides good fuel to keep sending money. I have had no problems at all with this account and I have referred it to both family and friends. They have also been very happy with their use of their accounts.

A great bank

Posted by: ElleRie3 | Apr 28, 2015

I recently started banking with Ally bank and I am a fan. The thing I really like about this bank is that they are completely online. I am very busy and I don't have time to wait in lines to make a deposit so it makes banking very easy when I can just do it all online. When I opened my account with Ally it only took me about five minutes to fill out the application, which was great. One of my favorite things about Ally is that they don't charge a monthly fee. I will be honest and say that some of their fees are a little odd, but it's worth it for the customer service. When I have any questions I can usually find the answers online, but when I can't it's very easy to call and talk to a human.

Great Bank!

I have several accounts with Ally and I have been very pleased with all of them. I was nervous about an online bank, but they had the highest CD rates of any bank I found so I gave it a try. The accounts were very easy to set up (just a matter of minutes) and the online web experience is very easy to use. I've since opened up two savings accounts with them as well. Also, I don't think I've ever had a wait when I called them!

Excellent customer service

I started a savings account with Ally a Bank 3 or 4 years ago and it was a great choice! They had one of those promotions going on at the time where they gave you $100 after you opened and kept open a savings account for a certain amount of time. I've never had a bit of problem with the savings account, either in regard to transferring money in or withdrawing money out, but my real praise is for their online customer service. I recently gave started doing research on opening a money market/CD account and had quite a few questions that I wanted answered to be able to compare to other banks. The service representative that I communicated with was extremely patient and knowledgeable and very forthcoming about their rates and (lack thereof) fees. They knew exactly what I was asking about in terms of rates and payouts and provided the information in very simple language - there was no confusing bank jargon that could have possibly been confusing or construed in any other way. They're fantastic!

Their ATM Cards Don't Work In Foreign Countries1

Posted by: AllySucks | Apr 26, 2015

I have travelled to Europe twice since last November. Both times I called 3 days before I left to leave a travel notice. Both times the CSR took down all my information and assured me my ATM card would work, and if I had any problems all I had to do was call their customer service # collect.

In November I went to Rome and immediately tried my card only for it to get rejected. When I asked the front desk of the hotel how I could call America collect, they had no idea what I was saying. It was impossible to do such a thing. I had to spend an hour trying to find a "phone center" where I ended up paying over 10 euros because apparently there is no such thing as collect calls in Italy???
After wasting an entire hour of my precious vacation I finally got an Allly CSR on the phone, and she said, "Oh, the lady you spoke to before didn't do it right." UNACCEPTABLE!

Then last week I went to London, and the exact same thing happened again. I called 3 days before I left and was assured my card would work. I mentioned the problem I had in Italy and was told oh no that's not going to happen again. Well, it most certainly did. And once again, I COULD NOT make a collect call from my hotel. I arrived late on a Friday night, and they were telling me I'd have to wait until Saturday morning to buy a BT calling card even to get an operator. Luckily they then allowed me to call directly from their phone, and this time the CSR saw absolutely no record of me calling to give my travel alert. And again, I wasted an entire hour of my precious vacation for this nonsense. UNACCEPTABLE!

I am looking into moving all my money to another bank because of this ridiculousness, and if you ever plan on using your ATM card in a foreign country I would highly recommend you do the same.

Ally Problems To Be Aware Of

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 12, 2010

First there is a problem with their bill pay system. The system does not verify account numbers of electronic payees. One of their CSR said the account would be verified when a payment was made.  Well it's a little late if the payment wont go through.  Wonder if Ally would pay the late fees? Ally is aware of this problem.

Second their "New" service provider for external transfers seems to have issues.  I had linked an external bank account with my Ally account back in 2007.  When they changed to CashEdge for a provider suddenly the name of this bank was changed.  It was changed to the name of the bank in 2004.  Although the account and routing number seemed to be correct I'm not sure I can trust Cash Edge.

I hate to see Ally messing things up like this. They have been good to work with in the past.

Oh berore these problems I would have given them 5 stars.

I love Ally

Posted by: Chelscam | Mar 13, 2015

I have been with Ally for almost two years now, and I am liking them a lot. Customer service was excellent in setting up my account. I was very nervous about switching to an online back, because I thought I would feel uncomfortable not having a local branch if I needed something. But, they walked through the entire process. My only negatives are that when they did a system update it lasted most of a Saturday morning and I that was really a huge problem for me- not having access to your account with no warning on a weekend morning was a negative. I encourage everyone to check them out.

A Really Good Bank

Posted by: Pretty | Mar 11, 2015

I got with this bank four years ago. I had to cancel my account to my dismay because I got laid off and I just didn't have any money coming in. But they had really low fees, and they didn't nickle and dime me every time I used my card. Also the customer service was very nice to me whenever a problem came up.

Ally: A smart choice for savers

I've been banking with Ally Bank for a few years now and I really love it. In fact, if my mortgage weren't tied to another local land bank, I would do all my banking with Ally. As it is, I have a money market savings account and 3 retirement accounts with Ally. Savings interest rates at Ally are higher than at the land-based banks that I am familiar with. If you have a checking account with Ally, they will reimburse you for any ATM fees you incur when using local ATMs. Also, there are truly no hidden fees. Everything is spelled out in the website, clearly and concisely, including interest rates, fees, limits on transfers, types of accounts available, etc.

The website is easy to use and seems very secure. I can make transfers among my various Ally accounts and from and to my non-Ally account, or transfer money to another person with just a few clicks of the mouse.

I've only had occasion to speak to customer service once--when I wanted to close another on-line account to transfer the balance to Ally (the other bank offered less interest on savings)--and the representative was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, in short, excellent. I would not hesitate to contact customer service again if needed (they have phone contact and on-line chat, plus you can secure email them or even send snail mail), however, the website is so complete and easy to use that it really hasn't been necessary in the two or three years I've been with the bank.

No Problems, Great Rates, Decent Service

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 8, 2010

I have the online savings account and 2 CD accounts with Ally Bank.  I have been a customer of theirs for a little under a year.

I have not experienced any problems with their accounts, website, nor customer service.  I follow CD rates and notice that theirs are always in the top few percentage points of what is available on the market, with the exception of some of the credit union rates.

I have contacted customer service on a few occasions, generally through their online chat; and have always received accurate information and the support people seem to be knowledgeable.

What attracted me to Ally in the first place was their simplicity; the accounts and rates they offer, as well as their website interface (works perfect with linux).  Very simple and uncluttered.

Still pleased with Ally bank.

Credit Report Requirement For Any New Account Opening

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 30, 2012

Ally insists on running a credit report for ANY new account opening, even for existing customers with other active accounts with them.

This is an unnecessary requirement from both the FDIC and federal reserve, and a hard cost to justify for those of us with a credit freeze in place. I'm not spending $5 every time i need a savings or a new CD account opened. No other bank I've done business with has had this requirement for existing customers.

Denied A Savings Account

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 24, 2012

I tried to open a savings account with Ally because I thought an online account would be a good way to start to create a little financial security after my recent bankruptcy. Ally denied my attempt because of the bankruptcy.

After maintaining an exceptional credit history for 30 years, my divorce put me in a position where I could no longer manage my debt. I still have a mortgage and car loan that are paid on time every month. I'm not sure how Ally thought I would be irresponsible with a savings account... but that's fine, ING Direct didn't seem to have a problem with it, so that's where my savings will grow!

Online Echeck Deposit

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 21, 2011

I have a CD, savings, and decided to open a checking account with Ally because of the echeck deposit service they offer. I tried to make a deposit using their echeck service into my checking account, but couldn't do it. I disabled pop up block like they told me, I turned off the firewall and antivirus, called them, chatted online with 2 reps and was still not able to make the deposit. I am wondering if somebody is able to use their echeck deposit. The only reason why I opened a checking account with them was because I was going to be able to deposit it online instead of mailing it.

Ally Bank Is The Place

Posted by: JGray | Jan 13, 2015

When I was recently looking online for a good bank to open a savings account, I came across Ally Bank and was pleasantly surprised!

After comparing Ally Bank with some other options, I decided to open a checking account with them. The process was EASY! There were NO maintenance fees, NO opening minimum and they have a nationwide network of ATMs to withdraw money and make deposits. This is the perfect bank account for the 21st century and (fingers crossed) the perfect bank for me! I have yet to open the original savings account I went in search of because their checking seemed that great! But I am planning to do so in the next week.

I have already started to tell my friends of Allybank and will continue to do so as long as they stay this awesome and easy to use.

Posted by: omrkhn | Dec 19, 2014

After banking with Chase for years I decided to make the switch over to Ally National bank. I couldn't be more thrilled with my decision, I am now able to withdraw money from any ATM without a fee, I can easily transfer money between accounts, and there are basically no fees at all. I would recommend them over any other bank. The only downside is they don't offer VISA cards so you'll have to have an account with another bank if you want a VISA card.

Love using Ally Bank

Posted by: um | Dec 19, 2014

I use Ally Bank for much of my banking. Their site is easy to navigate, and they process transactions without error. They have a cool feature: If you need to call them on the phone, they post the "wait time" to reach a live operator. That way, if I have to call, I know how long it will take. More often than not, the "wait time" is a minute or less!

They Will Deny Your Application If Your Credit Score Is Too Slow

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 20, 2011

these imbeciles denied my application for trying to open a checking account because my FIS score is not high enough. I wouldn't recommend this bank to anyone because of their ridiculous credit check system.

Ally Bank - Customer Review

Posted by: macattack | Dec 11, 2014

I've had nothing but success working with Ally Bank since I switched over last year. The fact that they have interest checking was a huge plus over the local bank I had been using. In addition, they reimburse any and all ATM fees, since they have no branches themselves. This really came in handy when I was on a trip to New Orleans, and needed money on Bourbon Street. The ATM fee as $6, but it was reimbursed by Ally at the end of the month. In addition, their customer service is second to none. They advertise and market themselves as a bank where you're able to talk to a real person at any time, and it's very true. I was preparing for an overseas trip not too long ago, and was able to reach someone immediately to let them know that I would be in 2 different countries over the next several weeks. It really helped having the ability to get in touch with someone right away. Their system for ordering new checks is also really convenient, and they allow customers to order 50 at a time for free. I love Ally!

Ally Bank is a winner!

I really like Ally Bank! Upon signing up and funding my account, I promptly received my debit card within a week. I have no had issues with my debit card or with my bank account thus far. I like that I can use Ally Bank to help verify my PayPal account. Customer service is also very prompt. I wrote to them about wanting to receive checks and had a reply within a day saying the checks were on their way. The Ally mobile app is not the most appealing app when it comes to attractiveness, but it is extremely simple and easy to use and does not use much data. I like that Ally Bank has no fees on the checking account, whereas many comparable banks do have fees. Overall, I would say that Ally Bank is well worth it if you are looking for an online bank and looking to save money on bank fees.

Love My Ally

I can use any ATM's. My bank will reimburse the fees. They have good and fast website. Their phone service is very good too. Go Ally!

Another satisfied customer

Posted by: LLL | Dec 7, 2014

My husband and I have been banking with Ally for about five years. I recently called customer service to ask a question about one of our accounts. The representative was a young gal who was polite, very knowledgeable, and able to answer my question in a satisfactory manner. I only have positive things to say about Ally Bank and have told my family and friends that they should be doing their banking at Ally. I still have a checking account with Chase, but am looking into closing it and getting a checking account with Ally.

Ally is the best bank I've ever been with

Posted by: Jewelz23 | Dec 3, 2014

Ally Bank is an online only bank which will probably scare some people away. However, I urge anyone to look at what they offer and the minimal fees associated with their online checking account. Where to begin? Well, for one there are no monthly fees, reimbursement on ATM fees, if you do have an overdraft on your account they only charge you a $9 fee. On top of that? Free debit card replacements, free checks, fast and friendly customer support, apps on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

It is a great online bank that should be tried for those looking a new bank. They also offer online savings accounts and CD accounts. I have been with them for years and I am glad I gave them a shot, best decision I have ever made when it comes to choosing a bank.

Ally Bank, know what you're getting

Posted by: SteveC | Oct 29, 2014

Ally Bank offers a lot of great stuff. I saw it online and thought I'd give it a shot. After a few months of using it I've come to the conclusion that it's a decent alternative to regular banking as long as you understand it's shortcomings.

Like most online banks it's very difficult to make a deposit, aside from direct deposit from your place of employment. Also, since the risk of fraud are so much higher, they are extremely tight about overdrafts and will hold your checks for 5 days if you are negative once on your account.

If that is alright, the benefits are great. Using any atm comes in handy more often than you'd imagine. Also, they've got great rates on savings accounts, which I highly recommend.

The best interest rate

I have a savings account with Ally bank. They were the only online bank that I could find that gave me a savings account that had a debit card to go with it and I also get 0.85 interest per year and my interest rate grows every year to. All the other online banks that I looked at did not have savings accounts like this. The other banks only offered a debit card and checkbook with a 0.10 interest rate checking account. With the Ally account I get a 0.85 interest rate,debit card and a checkbook and I get the interest rate of a savings account. Also they have no ATM fees at all and if I get charged a fee they refund it at the end of the month. I called customer service and ask them about it and they said " We wont charge you to get your money thats not right" so even if I do get an ATM charge they will refund it at the end of the month. All of my experiences with customer service have been great and very reassuring. The customer service representatives were more than helpful and they know what they are doing. Ally bank is great. You wont find a better deal.

Wonderful Banking Experience

Posted by: R.Neve | Oct 23, 2014

I saw that Ally was offering a better savings rate than my credit union so I thought I would give them a try. They are so easy to work with. Their website is very easy to use and if you have a question you can actually call them. They actually answer the phone. Their customer service is fantastic.

Very Satisfied New Customer

Posted by: Charity | Oct 21, 2014

I recently signed up for a savings account. So far, the experience has been great. I chose my savings account on their website and signed up pretty quickly for the account. The interest rate for the account is great-one percent-and I deposited two dollars to open it. They didn't specify a deposit amount requirement to open the account.
A couple weeks later I received a packet in the regular snail mail that I needed to send back regarding my signature card. This was required so the IRS didn't require the bank to withhold money from my account for interest.
The online experience with this bank has been great so far. I haven't interacted with customer service representatives yet. I noticed that this bank offers the option to send money to others via their email, which I thought was a nice benefit too. I haven't looked into all the "perks" they offer, but overall, I'm very pleased with this bank.

Simple and Awesome

Posted by: will11750 | Oct 14, 2014

After a decade of dealing with Bank of America I am so glad that I finally made the dive into online banking. Ally bank has been nothing but a pleasure to work with since I first opened an account with them. I really felt nickel and dimed with Bank of America but with Ally Bank there are practically no fees. They even have an interest rate on a checking account, not much but better than the nothing most brick and mortar banks give you. I can withdraw my money from a host of ATM's easily and free and with their mobile app I can deposit checks, so I literally have no reason to go inside a bank again. I love Ally!

Great Internet Bank.

Posted by: Chris2014 | Oct 14, 2014

Basically I have a free checking account & savings account with ally, this is a great honest internet banking site, very reputable. One of the things that really attracted me was the 0 monthly fees not a lot of internet banks offer that free option. Today with banks there is no need to have to go to a branch technology is allowing you to do all your bills and banking via online. The ally app I use daily to check my balances and see when my deposits hit the bank, very good app, and whenever I've needed information there support is awesome and responds back in a timely manner.

Easy online banking

Posted by: Codered | Oct 13, 2014

Ally bank is an incredible bank to do online banking with! It is easy to transfer to/from other bank accounts. There is also a cool feature that allows to deposit a check by uploading a picture of the check to the website. It is seamless and easy. There is a great interest rate on the savings account and the website is easy to use and appealing to the eyes! This bank is highly recommended!

Very happy with Ally!

Posted by: Becca2014 | Oct 9, 2014

Easy to work with.

Posted by: RD3 | Oct 1, 2014

Convenient Online Banking

Posted by: KatFouty | Sep 29, 2014

I have had an account with Ally for over 4 years now and I have been incredibly happy working with them. Their website is easy to navigate and I am always able to find the information that I want, I love that I can go paperless and they have copies of my statements going back to when I first opened the account. I had a great experience with the staff when I applied for a car loan with them, they were friendly and knowledgeable about the different rates and helped work with me to qualify for the lowest interest rate. I will definitely work with them again in the future.

Excellent banking experiences

Posted by: Emme | Sep 26, 2014

Ally Bank is the best bank that I have ever worked with! I have been a member there for less than a year, however in comparison to other banks, their services and customer service are far superior, and their mobile website is the best. There is 24 hour customer service by phone or by chat, and they are very friendly and helpful in every aspect of the business. I can not give this bank enough stars, they go above and beyond the call of duty in everything that I have experienced, I'm so glad I found them and recommend them to everyone I know.

Decent, but not great

Posted by: KatieH. | Sep 7, 2014

Our car note is with this bank. While it's easy to login online and make a payment, it is very inconvenient to pay extra towards our principal without calling and being on hold to speak to a person. Other banks make it easy to include an extra amount towards our principal in order to pay off our loan quicker.

It's OK But Far From Perfect

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 31, 2012

I had quite a few negative experiences with Ally, but none of them were deal breakers. They were more like annoyances such as telling me I didn't have enough money to cover an automatic bill payment, whereas, I did and Ally paid it despite the message. Anyway, I plan to stay with Ally.

Review of Ally Bank

Posted by: kiboa | Aug 28, 2014

This bank has good telephone customer service. The website is fairly good, and ease of use is reasonable online. There are no big drawbacks. People on the phone who help you are friendly and pleasant, and they can answer questions. It is easy to get someone to assist you by phone. Products are in line with those offered by other banks.

Amazing Online Checking from Ally

I was referred to Ally Bank from a coworker. I was looking for a checking account that offered a non-zero APY and had plenty of ATMs in my city. After looking at Ally's website I was instantly hooked. I called up customer service and they were very helpful and friendly. They helped me create a checking account and helped me move money into that account from my current bank. I was very happy with their prompt support and everything was completed in under 30 minutes. I received my debit card and checks about 4 days later and everything was ready to go. I highly recommend Ally to anyone looking for an online bank with excellent service.

Great Customer Service not Amazing Product though

I've banked with Ally for over two years, holding a variety of accounts, but mostly a high-interest savings about. My interest rate on the savings account started at around 2% but is now down to less than .5%. I think this is beyond lame, given the relationship I've built with the bank. That being said I love Ally's customer service, it's 24/7 and I've always had zero issues in regards to wait times.

100% Happy With Ally

Posted by: mikesterr | Aug 27, 2014

I am also a TD customer and one thing I need to mention to Ally customers is that TD bank seems to block Ally from using their ATM's Every time I go into a TD bank after placing my Ally card in, suddenly the ATM is out of service and spits my card out. It stays that way for a few minutes then goes back to normal. I think its because Ally doesn't let them charge us fees. anyway Ally has ben 100% accurate and 100% friendly and eager to help. Its great to finally have a bank that isn't looking for ways to steal my money.

Errors! Grrrrrr!

I recently opened a Money Market Savings account. On Friday, I tried to deposit a large check using my cel phone. I got no quick feedback as to whether the check was deposited or not. Still no sign on Monday, so I phoned. They said the check was not in their system and the deposit hadn't gone through. I tried to deposit the check again Monday p.m. and the system told me the check had already been deposited. I phoned again and they confirmed that the check had been deposited. They couldn't explain why I was told it wasn't in the system, and said I would receive email confirmation at 11 pm.

No Problems

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 5, 2012

Most of the online banks are interchangeable. Although the Fed rates have remained stable (close to zero), the online bank rates have dropped. Still, it's better to earn 0.84% or 0.9% than nothing, which is what brick-and-mortar banks pay, especially commercial banks.

I've found Ally to be just as solid as ING (which my sister uses) and Emigrantdirect (which I stopped using when their interest rate plummeted.)

On quibble: They post the monthly interest payments on the 5th of the month rather than the 1st. But they're consistent about it.

Another quibble: They're no longer the highest-paying online bank, but not by much.

Best Bank

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 7, 2011

I love Ally bank and the customers services..

No International ATM Rebates

Posted by: Anonymous | Jul 31, 2011

I was disappointed to discover that, at this time, Ally has terminated rebating ATM fees outside the US. This motivated me to find another online bank that does rebate ATM fees worldwide, as I travel in Europe. My activity with Ally is limited. I park some money in a MM, and use the ATM card when I travel. My customer service experience is mixed.

25% CD Bonus

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 1, 2011

My CD is maturing this month and Ally sent me an email in advance offering a 25% bonus if I renew it with them. Last year when I renewed I was able to get a 5% bonus (although I had to request this on the phone). I will try again to get the 5% bonus. Anyone else get more than 25%?

Poor Mobile App

For an internet only bank, their mobile app is terrible. When I can sign in without an error (errors on sign in are frequent for me), the app is very slow and won't let you back out with the back button on Android like all other apps. The few app updates I've received for it have just broken more things. Check deposit process is very slow both via phone and via computer scanner. The phone/chat support is not helpful for technical issues.

Never had any issues with the accounts, transfers, or money management, and the website is generally good, particularly the money transfer abilities. But because of the problems with the mobile app, I'm considering moving to another bank.

Bank To Bank Transfers

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 3, 2010

I set up a bank to bank transfer at Ally.com at the same time I did with another online bank, using the schedule in the future option for the following day instead of the immediate now option.  A few minutes later I caught a mathematical error I made when I was trying to re-balance my accounts among 4 online banks.  I was able to cancel the first transfer set up at the other bank, but when I marked the pending transfer at Ally.com, the EDIT and DELETE buttons became inactive.  I called Ally on the phone to find out what was wrong.  I was informed once the transfer has been set up, it can not be changed 3 days prior to the start of the transfer.

I'm aware there is a cut off time on these types of transactions, but 3 days lead time to modifying transactions is ridiculous, give me a break!  The other institutions let me cancel the transfer online with no problems.  I'll stay with them as a customer simply due solely for their rates.  It's not a good feeling to not be able to to control your own money!