Ameris Bank Reviews

POOR SERVICE

Posted by: LRW678 | Nov 29, 2019

I had been with Fidelity for over 20 years and too have come from the merger of Fidelity bank. I have had to reset my password more than 20 times. . I used Ameris' ATM for a balance inquiry and was charge $2.00 then$3.00 to withdraw for a non Ameris ATM, $2.00 withdraw fee. That's $7.00 TO USE THEIR OWN ATM MACHINE!! When I called customer service, I spoke with customer service and It took 30 minutes just to reset my password!!! When it was Fidelity, due to Thanksgiving, i would have gotten paid on Wednesday. I'm still waiting for my direct deposit!! I'M OVER IT ALREADY!!!

Avoid Ameris

Posted by: BenPainter | Feb 9, 2018

Ameris bought my mortgage about 8 months ago. The first entry to my account was an error. They insisted that I had not paid my last mortgage payment to the previous servicer. (which was not the case) So they tried to charged me interest for that month even though I had already paid that month with the previous servicer. Dozens of phone calls to Customer Service, 4 phone calls with Supervisors, 3 formal "inquiries" over the next five months and they could not figure out the mistake. They kept coming back with "no you didn't pay that previous month". Even after I supplied bank statements AND statements from my previous servicer showing that payment was made. Finally, after about 5 months they assigned an individual to my account to try to get it resolved. Within a couple of days a dozen or so "corrections" appeared. Unfortunately, those were not correct and actually made it worse. After going back and forth, explaining and pointing out their mistakes and providing backup... about a month later they credit back to the starting point and re allocated the 5 months of payments. And they did it correctly. So after having 15 people tell me that my account was correct, they finally got it right. I almost felt they were just trying to wear me down and let it go.

So for two weeks all is well. During the time that they were trying to resolve the above problem, I got a notice from them that they were going to require me to have flood insurance. I have not had it with either of the two previous servicer, so not sure I buy that my flood rating was changed. But, after what we saw to those poor folks in Houston last year, we decided not to argue the point and just get it. We had to have another inspection and got some quotes. Prior to the 45 day period that they stated I needed flood insurance by, I decided to go with a specific insurance. I spent the next 30 days on two conference calls with their insurance department and my insurance agent. had 3 or 4 calls myself, and my agent bugging them every other day for payment. Except, they continued to not pay the insurance payment out of my escrow funds for about a month. In the mean time they placed "forced placed" insurance (at about 10 times what my regular flood was). After continuously requesting they pay the premium, they paid late and then hit me with forced place. After two weeks of calls emails and complaints, they credited a prorated amount. So I got ripped off because they couldn't make a payment as requested.

All the while I had phone calls, conference calls and many many emails. The epitome of their terrible service is I would send an email asking 4 questions (to the person assigned to my account) and maybe a week or so later I would get a response not answering any of my questions. A normal response would be something like "I have sent the required information to the appropriate department". Maybe times it would take (up to 4) emails, with each one more direct and demanding to get a response.

Do not do business with this bank in any manner. Checking, Savings, Mortgage whatever. They are terrible!!! Many times I got different answer to the same question even among supervisors.

HORRIBLE Banking!

In over 40 years of personal, business and savings banking I am amazed that this bank managed to make a mess of everything...and I mean EVERYTHING they touched. From inept staff unable to set up accounts properly within weeks...yes, it took them WEEKS to get a business, personal and savings account set up, to failure to order checks properly, to placing fees on free accounts, this bank has made more mistakes than any I have ever seen. Matters had to escalate to a regional VP in order to finally get someone to move at more than a snail's pace and fix things. We will certainly never recommend this bank and will move our accounts as soon as possible. GO ELSEWHERE!

Party Over Here

I think its sad that all the fees you pay to this bank gose to fund all the game nite bring your own bottle parties at the lynn haven fl branch that are thrown after hrs inside this branch hosted by none other than jimmy barr the branch manager so we all are funding this kind of wastless time and use of the power i thinkbi will be looking to move my funds to another bank

No Customer Service Or Acess To My Account During Hurricane Matthew

Closed their customer service office and banks during hurricane Matthew. When I evacuated, fraud protection cut access to my funds off, I was stranded and no one to contact with zero cash!!!!!! Horrible, horrible customer service. Then, because I could not access my account, they charged me overdraft fees when I could not deposit my checks, auto-debits went through - would not refund. No chip in the debit card for international travel, 30 minute wait for customer service. Can't call your local branch directly. Horrible all around.

Overcharge For Services

Posted by: arp1987 | Aug 15, 2012

I had Darby bank in the past and then became Ameris bank, ok cool. I opened an account with Darby and was very pleased with their services and fees. Darby comes in and charges me fees without notice, I went out of the country for 6 months, I come back and Darby charges me $3 a month for the 6 months I didnt use my debit card... Really!? That had never happened before until they came in. Imagine in the thousands of customers they get a month at $3... No wonder Ameris is growing. To cash a third party check ?? OmG! Finger prints, and questions questions "where is the other person?" blah, blah and still can't cash or deposit checks that I have already cashed for people. First of all, if a person has an established account with you guys and enough money to back up the check if a problem, why treat a client this way? why run off your customers to another bank that can give that respect and value you can do as well. Until improvement, I don't care to bank with Ameris or recommend this bank to anyone.

Finally A Bank That REALLY Shows They Want Your Business

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 22, 2011

While big banks are getting more of our hard earned money in fees... Ameris is doing just the opposite...they are getting the big banks clients! Hats off to the Greenville branch...not only did the bank manager consistently follow up with me, he continued to show me how they could save, not only my business money, but personally too! Needless to say...I am an Ameris client. And so are 4 of my staff! I love the personal touch, quick answers to questions, and they follow up on those answers. Thank You Scott and your staff! Love banking with you! Michele - Studio M

They Simply Suck.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2011

Online bill pay isn't free. Need I say more? They took over Darby Bank when it went under (it wasn't much better anyways), and all of my automated payments, i.e. credit card, student loans, etc. stopped. Now I am overdue and have to call each company individually to make payments (Sally Mae charges $14.95 to pay over the phone, don't get me started about them) Arg. Well, I feel better now.