Andrews Federal Credit Union Reviews

You Can Not Open Account If You Have Moved

Posted by: John Simon | Feb 2, 2016

I have moved and apparently AFCU refuses to allow me to change/edit address on my application. Have several other accounts and never been through this much hassle.

Not Happy With Andrews

Posted by: klink | May 28, 2015

Attempted to open account online. Process is not explained in a logical order until to late. Funding the accounts is impossible because of the limited amount you can ACH transfer. Wanted to open a basic share acct. (Req), then get a mil. special cert. $4000.00 offered until the end of the month. Could only transfer $1000.00 based on their system. Nowhere during the process was it said that once your application was accepted with the link to the account you are sending money from and an amount and an e-mail with acct. information had been sent to you confirming all this did you get the email requiring that a photo, scan or fax of your mil. ID and drivers license was required. Process would have taken well past the dates the Cert. Special was being offered. Jeers to Andrews. Be aware that if you wish to be a member read the fine print and be prepared to open in a branch or wait for their schedule of events.

Worst Credit Union EVER

Posted by: GeorgeJ | Jul 19, 2013

I joined AFCU after being told they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards for use in Europe.  I applied for a checking and savings account online and sent in my money.  After waiting several weeks and not hearing anything I sent a total of three e-mails asking for my account number so I could sign up for online banking.  Finally got the number.  I then asked by e-mail how to apply for the Chip and Pin DEBIT card and was told to apply for the Global Trek CREDIT Card.  I sent another e-mail, being very specific about my wanting a DEBIT card and was assured that was the way to do it.  I attempted to apply online for the Global Trek card and was asked two security questions.  One was a question I had not answered during the application process and I was never able to open the application.  I sent another e-mail to AFCU using another e-mail address and asked if they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards and was told they did not.  I sent an actual letter to a specific person in management telling that person of my frustration with their incompetence and never heard back.  I then sent an e-mail to that person complaining about not getting a response to the letter and never heard back from that.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

Application

Posted by: bh20508 | Apr 19, 2012

Very difficult to get credit card even with close to 800 credit score and no debt. Application is very difficult to get through with lots of paper work.  After being approved for credit card with very low limit and lots of phone calls and paper work I now need to join. That has now become more hoops to jump thru as it just doesn’t seem to work online. I hope they don't lose all my stuff like the other reviewer.  At this point I still have nothing.   Could have gotten several cards by now from banks but I want their chip and pin card. I am not sure why anyone would really want to join other than a real specific reason because service is no different than a bank, put on hold and waited every time when I called and rates are about the same. My banks don’t have fees as long as you have a savings. So more than ever I don’t get credit unions.  I must be missing something.

Customer Service

Posted by: Ads | Mar 22, 2012

It's a great credit union and decent customer service, at long you are the member, not his or her spouse, otherwise you are in trouble! It's sad because I really like Andrews Federal Credit Union. The customer rep was super rude and didn't want to talk to me, only to my husband. Luckly, my husband contact a supervisor and we solved the situation. After that, I remove my salary from there and open an account in other bank.

Too Many Hoops To Join And Get A Credit Card

Posted by: rt | Sep 27, 2012

I applied and got approved for an AFCU credit card two months ago.  However, I was told that I had to become a member before I could actually get the card.  So I completed the on-line membership application and provided another credit card to pay the membership funding fee.  One month later, no credit card arrived and when I called the credit union, they say that they do not have a record of my application although it was done online on their site and they cannot do anything with the confirmation number that I received from them after I completed the application.

This is 2012, it should not be this hard to apply for a credit card and to join a credit union.  They should be able to do better than this.

Lucky, My Application & Deposit Was Apparently Lost In The Mail Or By Them....

I completed their on-line application which failed to process and directed me to fill out a paper application and mail it in.

A letter arrived 2 weeks (little slow) later asking me to send in a copy of 2 seperate forms of ID and an initial deposit.

I did this via the USPS w/o using tracking/delivery confirmation (my mistake) as the CU says they never received my information/deposit.

Lost or stolen ID and check? Odds tend to favor.... yes indeed. Placed a fraud alert with credit agencies and stopped payment on the check after 3 weeks and hope the mail was lost vs. stolen.

The "lucky" part...is their rate tanked during the above, and I obtained a full 1.08% increase with another credit union which I have written a very favorable review on this site previously.

BTW, the last ACU CSR stated if I stopped payment on my initial check and they later processed it, (after explaining all the above to 3 CSR's) I would incur a return check charge with them...DAH!

Great Place To Bank

Posted by: mainhatten | Oct 1, 2012

I joined AFCU after my bank (Community Bank) failed to pay my rent as set up in an automatic withdrawal for three straight months.

Shortly after I joined I had to depart on a short notice deployment and needed to change an account at the last minute.  It was a weekend and luckily I had the business card with the local manger’s cell phone number. I called her at home and she promised to take care of the issue. My wife was worried that it wouldn’t workout but it did and I will be always grateful for the support I received. Would have never happened at by previous bank.

I have since switch all my banking to AFCU (credit card, auto loan, savings).  I know the employees, they are integral part of our community here overseas and that makes a big difference.  They are always doing something for service members and their families; attend our community meeting and events.

Their World Visa Card has very competitive rates and for a long time it was the only chip card available to Americans here in Europe which is important since most places do not use swipe readers any more.

If you are looking for a new banking facility, particularly if you are going to be overseas I highly recommend Andrews Federal Credit Union.

Don't Waste Your Time On Andrews Credit Union (Or Give Them Your Money)

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 14, 2012

This credit union is an example of why our country has problems. I applied for a GlobeTrek credit card with a credit limit of $5,000 and was turned down. First they lost the application, then they didn't have enough information, so I faxed 26 pages! Then I was turned down. I am retired and worth over $2 million. I live off my investments. My house is paid for. I have no debts. Credit score of 831. The reason is I cannot prove my income. It's Social Security and withdrawals from accounts that have been invested wisely. I don't have an actual list of my withdrawals that are done through my broker, therefore I'm a bad risk. At the same time other credit card companies send me a least one offer a week for credit cards with much higher limits than this rinky dink operation. This proves the banks (credit unions) are not lending money.

Never again will I waste my time with Andrews Credit Union, and I am closing my account.

Great Credit Union, Saved Me From Horrid Experience

Posted by: StephenM2 | Feb 2, 2015

I have nothing but good things to say about Andrews Federal Credit Union. For a while I was paying abysmal interest rates on four student loans through Sallie Mae - around 15%. While I never missed a payment on them or any credit card, I was not getting anywhere trying to consolidate them. I came across CUSTUDENTLOANS and they were willing to consolidate them through Andrews Federal Credit Union. I went through with it and they offered me a fair 7% interest rate. I've called them a couple of times for questions about the loan and their customer service agents have been nothing but pleasant to me, compared to the demons who worked at Sallie Mae. I haven't had any payment problems (like Sallie Mae hitting me with late fees even though I paid before the due date) and am happily paying off my loan. My only criticism is their online student loan payment website is extremely difficult to use. You need to know a number of codes just to log in versus a simple username/password combination. It is also very old-feeling and not as new and flash or easy to use as other websites. That is a small price I am willing to pay for a great interest rate and great customer service. I highly suggest you try them out if you are in a similar situation. You won't regret it.

Andrews FCU Receives High Consumer Ratings From American Consumer Council

Posted by: tomhinton | Mar 18, 2013

During the past year, hundreds of consumers who are members of the American Consumer Council have told us how pleased they are with the outstanding service and friendliness provided at Andrews Federal Credit Union. In an era when banking is difficult and its hard to get loans, Andrews FCU consistently receives the top ratings from consumer-members of the American Consumer Council.  We're pleased to recognize Andrews FCU for its commitment to service and helping consumers participate in our nation's economic recovery.

Thomas Hinton, President & CEO, American Consumer Council

Great Experience

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2012

I have been a member for over five years and have had great customer service. I can handle most of my banking by phone, online banking or in person. Best of all, if I travel, I can access my account at any CU Services participating branch.