Andrews Federal Credit Union Reviews

Terrible Is The Word

Posted by: rqkjn55 | Aug 12, 2019

As with others here, applied and got denied. Called them and customer sevice has no clue why the application was denied. They say all that they can see is that it was denied and nothing else.

Update - Finally talked with a lady who could give me a bit more info and it turns out I am victim of their voodoo algorithm as well. My credit is in good condition with no derogs but apparently that is not good enough for andrews. She also said they approve people with not so great credit all the time but in my case, their algorithm simply didnt like me and that was that.

Also Denied - UPDATE Approved

Posted by: sreins | Aug 7, 2019

Very similar to other respondent -

Retired - excellent credit scores near or above 800 - trying to open 7 year $175k CD. Declined no explanation.

Approved. They said SS number was not correct. Since they block it out as you type, hard to verify.

This Has To Be The Worst Credit Union Ever

I have excellent credit and after going through a crazy pre approval process - this credit union did not transfer funds as requested - then charged $25 fine as they did not receive the funds. They then locked my account online so I can't see what is going on. The hold times are appalling and I have called multiple times to get a call back to resolve this - because the clerks say that the people that can open the account do not come to the phone they have to call me. Of course I have not received any calls back.
Hell would freeze over before I would place any money with these people and unless to want the same treatment I would do the same. Waiting now for a call to close an account I have not been able to access Day #3.
A disgraceful way to treat someone.

85K CD Application Denied Due To Algorithm

Posted by: jlgayh76 | Jul 29, 2019

I and my wife's Andrews FCU application was just denied online for a 3.45 7 year CD. The online site didn't give a reason as to why my application was denied. I called customer service. The representative took about 15 minutes wait time, then told me that my application had been denied due to some type of algorithm they use. I said my credit rating and my wife's credit ratings were in the 800's. We are retired, own our own home, fully paid off and have substantial savings and net worth.
The rep said that credit scores were only part of the their algorithm score, but wouldn't divulge what other factors they consider.

I can't believe an institution that makes you go through all these hoops online to provide personal information and then at the last minute use some sort of "Star Chamber" secret scoring system to deny the funding of an Certificate of Deposit with them. I guess I should be glad they don't want my money so I can go elsewhere.

Never in my 60 years of life, have I ever been treated like this by a financial institution. For those thinking of using Andrews for anything, I would advise staying away, period!

Best CD Rates

Posted by: kkmorse | Jun 10, 2019

Andrews seems to always offer the best CD rates and for that, I give them 5 stars.

Good Customer Service

Posted by: patdante | May 4, 2019

I have been an IRA customer for over three years as Andrews have some of the best CD rates around. When I have questions on my account, I email Andrews and they respond within 24 hours with prompt and courteous answers. When my CD matures in another 4 years, I may keep it here if there rates stay competitive. Keep up the good work AFCU.

Very Easy To Open Account And Friendly Staff

Posted by: Naman | May 2, 2019

I opened account online, transferred money via shared branch. Customer Service is good, I have to hold max 5 minutes for customer service. You can do most of work by secure messages in their website.

Just plan for mobile deposit limit or external transfer limit or you can open only 1 promotional product.

Website is nice, you can setup lot of alerts. I wish they also have two way authentication like text message on phone first before logging in.

Worst Of All!

Posted by: JNS | May 2, 2019

This is definitely the worst of all banks I have ever done business with. Costumer service is ZERO starts! Communication is ZERO Starts! And problem solving, like basic one-handling a car insurance as prove of insurance for lowering monthly payments- is ZERO starts. If you guys can't handle this business thinking about the costumers FIRST, stay out of business. Shut you doors and get out! I couldn't regret more "shaking my hands" in getting a car loan with guys guys. Please folks, choose a different bank!

CAUTION - Does HARD PULL On Credit Report

Posted by: BJN3609 | Nov 11, 2018

I opened an individual share acct. in Nov. 2016, and in Dec. opened a joint acct. (I was already a member from Nov.) -- and they did HARD PULL on my credit TWICE.. I joined only to make deposits -- NEVER APPLIED FOR CREDIT.
HARD PULLS are for credit applications --
should have been only a soft inquiry for deposit only accts.

Waste Of Time

Posted by: crocpa | Nov 5, 2018

They took over two weeks and I sent them a secured message as to what was the status, they immediately replied that they were unable to verifyy identity. Horrible service. Laid back and lazy. I passed the identity questions. I am a US citizen born here. I sent them all the information they requested. Long and tedious application process. I recommend you don't waste your time with these people.

Same Experience

Posted by: chris100 | Oct 12, 2018

As others have not their customer service is really bad, long wait times and no transparency to what's happening with your application. At any other financial institution opening a CD is an automated process. I ended up calling them and after a wait time of 20 mins a lovely woman was able to open the CD in minutes. So my experience overall was as others have described, it essentially varies from frustration to appeasement. If you are opening a CD then you don't really care much about customer service for the entire duration of your CD anyways!

No Customer Service

Posted by: plowking | Aug 27, 2018

I have called everyday for 4 weeks and cannot get a customer service representative on the phone.I used their automated call back feature and no one has called back.
I cannot get quicken to update since they switched from cm netter . I`ve tried everything ,delete accounts , go in through quicken, delete , manual download . It continues to lump my 2 Cd`s into one account . Very frustrating .

Great Rates With Andrews

Posted by: Nick11 | Jul 29, 2018

I just opened my 9 mo. 2.75% very easily. I appreciate their great rates. Have been a member for a couple of years since I purchased 3% cd's a couple of years ago. I was nervous about it since I read reviews about the diffulties some were having opening cd's at that time. However, I just followed deposit account readers instructions/advice in doing so and everything has gone smoothly since that time. Thank you Ken and readers of deposit accounts for your help.

Very Disappointed!

Posted by: darnit44 | Jul 28, 2018

Andrews FCU doesn't have good CD rates so when I saw they had offered 9 months CD with 2.75% APY I've jumped on the opportunity to invest in. It took them to process and approve my application more than 14 days (compare to 1 day with KS State Bank}.
Until the first CD application got approved I was not able to apply for a second CD account. I thought to process my second application will be faster! I was wrong! Two weeks later my second application is still pending! I'm very disappointing!

Great Service From Andrews

I have had accounts with Andrews for many years and have always
received first class service.

A Work In Progress

Posted by: Zemo999 | Jul 6, 2018

I think their 9 month 2.75 APY CD deal is the best thing available anywhere, right now, if one doesn't want to tie up funds for a long time, but wants a really good rate. The question is: How much are you able to put up with to get it? I expect their phones to be busy because of the offer, but it took a half hour and getting switched around to 4 different reps, mostly on hoid, to get to the right one. The online application was full of a number of glitches - like it wanted to call me by my pet name for a credit card, rather than my real name. There's an application - breaker, if not corrected. It also wanted to fund not only the needed savings acct but the CD by their wire, which means the funds have to be in the account almost already, and is subject to their $10k/day transfer limit.
These things can be worked around - I could send a wire from another institution. Or I could establish an ACH link from another institution and that $10k limit would disappear. And the rep I finally got through to did say she'd shepherd my account application through the process, given the difficulties. I guess I'll see how well that goes, given the combination of long hold times and their need to transfer you to somebody with the right knowledge can eat up a lot of time, just to get to the right place. I think it depends on how patient you are, how much free time you've got to put into this. Sweet rate for such a short term, though.

Customer Service Hold Times Are Excessive

Posted by: Anon1234 | May 11, 2018

One of the messages they repeat ad nauseam while one is on hold is "At Andrews Federal we appreciate your membership". Don't believe it. Today I waited 18 minutes to speak with a CSR and eventually abandoned the call because no one took the call. The second time I called waited 15+ minutes before abandoning. I next tried their call-back option but there is no way to know what position one has in the queue.

I initially joined the credit union because I was planning to establish an IRA a couple of years ago, but changed my mind when a better rate became available elsewhere. However, I still have a share account here and will continue to keep it open with a minimum balance in case they offer competitive rates on their CDs.

I Don't Use Them Much, Just For A CD. Have Other Issues

Posted by: EricJ | Dec 18, 2017

I opened a CD at Andrews maybe a year ago. At the time their rates were among the best and being a CD account haven't had much dealings with them and when I have have had no real issues....
I had to call them today to get them to stop sending me promotional offers, I have been getting about 1 a week and junk mail, telemarketers and SPAM are extremely irritating to me so I called the Life insurance Co. in the promotion and Andrews to get them to stop.

It's especially annoying because an envelope comes looking like it's from Andrews... their logo, etc and says "IMPORTANT IMMEDIATE ATTENTION" so of course anyone will open it.

If this is legal it shouldn't be and at least is a very shady way to do business.

Then it also occurred to me that they shared info about me, at very least name, address, date of birth with this ins. company (and surely others) who I know nothing about. This also seems it should be illegal. I don't know anything about this insurance company and even if I trusted and liked them places get hacked all the time so the more places have your info the more exposed you are.

So, I doubt I will be doing any more business with them, I have almost 20 other banks I deal with and don't get these promotions mailed to me by them, although who knows what they share?

I will read privacy policies carefully from now on and also look into privacy laws if there are any left.

Too Many Hoops/ACH Limits

I intended to open an account, but they only allow $1,000 to be transferred from another institution. Since I wanted to open a CD with $20,000, I called to find out how to do that. I got no satisfaction and decided to cancel the application. Today I received a notice that they rejected my membership application! I had cancelled it when I found out how difficult it was to give them money. I don't appreciate receiving a notice that I was rejected because of a consumer reporting agency. Apparently they didn't need any money. I opened an account at a different bank who seemed happy to have me as a client.

Absolutely Atrocious And Incompetent Service

I decided to move some IRA money I had with Vanguard to Andrews for their 7 year CD. Here's what happened: person #1 said send in the two forms completed and I will take care of everything; I did that and then person #2 said no-we won't contact Vanguard, you have to; person #3 instead of sending me the completed forms back to me, they sent me blank forms so I had to get another notary certification; person #4 said that I had not sent in the transfer form request and I had to send in another one; person #5 said no person #4 was wrong and that I had to send in the application form again. Forewarned is forearmed.

Often Has Good CD Specials

I joined for the chip-and-PIN card to travel in Europe, and it's worked well for me. Like many credit unions, they wanted a bit more documentation (pay stubs, etc) than is typical for large national banks, but that was a price well worth paying because the large national banks still love chip-and-signature and it can be hard to get a card that works right in Europe.

I also occasionally take advantage of CD specials, like the current 3% holiday special (available in your choice of either 3 month or 84 month terms, but nothing in between).

Unlike some other reviews, I didn't find the membership process to be too bad, but there wasn't a high volume of new members stampeding for a special when I joined, either.

Tips For Opening Account

I applied online, do not live near any branches.

ACH Limits: The maximum ACH limit on application is $1,000, and is not disclosed until the last page of the application. Once opened, the maximum ACH transfer through Andrews is $5,000 per day and $25,000 per month. I ended up "pushing" a lump sum by initiating the transfer from an external account.

Opening Share Certificate: Once the money was in the Base Savings account, I called to have a Share Certificate opened. I tried numerous times during the afternoon with no success beyond being on hold. Finally I called one morning around 9am eastern time and reached someone. The transfer was quick and easy. I was told that department opens at 8am eastern time.

Confirmation: When opening a share certificate by phone, request the confirmation be sent by email. This can be sent instantly. Andrews is the only credit union I have seen which does not list the rate paid for the share certificate online in the account's summary. So, be sure to get a copy of the confirmation. If not sent by email, it is sent by postal mail.

Good luck to anyone. I was opening short term CDs so was not very aggressive in getting it opened, but am glad to have finally opened at least some of what I wanted.

Best CD, Inconsistent Customer Service

Posted by: gnarlycow | Dec 22, 2016

Andrews' 7-year holiday special CD is the best at this time, with 3.01% APY and 180-day interest early withdrawal penalty. Even if I withdraw everything after two years, the effective APY is still >2%.

I applied for membership online. They asked for ID verification docs which I uploaded right away. After that I didn't hear from them for a whole month! I then left them a message asking what was taking so long. It turned out they wanted one more thing from me - proof of address. Once I uploaded that, they approved my application.

I went to a local CU branch and deposited a check to my Andrews' savings through co-op. Then I called Andrews to open the CD, but the first rep told me they cannot open new account over the phone... I just thanked her, hung up, and called again. This second rep was fantastic; took care of the opening process under two minutes.

Long Wait For Application Process, Long Wait If Calling During Week Days, Very Limited ACH, Representative No So Helpful

I applied online. the application has not been approved after more than 1 week.

I also don't like their customer service on phone. I called about if I can use my other bank to do ACH deposit/withdraw, and how long it normally takes application to go through and what is my application status. the representative put me on hold, and the phone disconnected after me on hold for 45 min. I was on hold already for 40 min before talking to the representative. So, I called total of 3 times, 1st time total of 45 min on hold, 2nd time almost 1.5 hours. And representatives are not so helpful. mostly "can't help" or "I need to transfer you".

I just called today to cancel the membership. and they need to transfer me, and the main office just closed 15 min ago. So, they will call back by next Tues, and they don't give their main office number for me to call.

The short term CD rate is good, but doesn't worth the hours of waiting on phone and ended up no help or results. However, if you have a local branch, it's probably easier to open an account that way. Hopefully their branch employ is more helpful.

Long Wait For Application Process

Put my application to join credit union, been over 2 weeks. Wrote message to see what is going on still no reply. Call up put on hold forever I got tried of waiting

Andrews Federal Credit Union / IRA CD Rates

Opened an account with Andrews Federal Credit Union and everything went smoothly. has one of the best rates in the industry, 3% for 84month IRA CD....great. Thanks for the ease of setting up the account.

Great Rate - 3% 84 Month CD

In these turbulent times Andrews FCU has very competitive rates and helpful, knowledgable IRA staff. I completed, printed and mailed in their online form with instructions to move my IRA from Betterment. It all worked very smoothly and the whole process took two weeks by US Mail. I recommend you provide Andrews with wiring instructions to speed up the process.
Become a member of the American Consumer Council to be a member of Andrews Federal Credit Union if you don't have a branch nearby.

Just Joined And Opened 7 Yr 3% IRA CD

Posted by: DaveJ | Jul 28, 2016

This month I joined and yesterday wired $$$ into my Roth IRA. My experience is similar to poster kainen with a couple differences. I joined the Am Consumer Council for free using the discount code "consumer".
I then joined Andrews with $5 ACH 'ed into my share account. I then contacted them by e-mail with questions. With no answer for a day or two, I called. After 20 minutes of hold and transfer,
I " finally" got the IRA dept. and a quite helpful and knowledgeable CSR who helped me with all my questions. After questions of if the rate would be good when my CD came free and I transferred around the first of month, she said if I joined, and then filled out a IRA application and emailed it into the IRA Dept., she would open the CD and wait for the money to be sent, insuring the rate for me. I was skeptical, but it worked exactly as she said. Due to the large(for me) amount I decided to wire it($20 bucks from sending CU)and it was deposited into my account that day.She also gave me her direct dial phone number and answered every time I called except once during her lunch.
Overall, a fairly easy, 1000 mile away experience.I'm not sure if we can get private messages, but I'll share her name and number for anyone wanting to open IRA and save you some time, I just don't want to post it on the forum.
Almost forgot, thanks Ken for this site. I learned of this rate and CU from this site.

Just Opened 7-Yr 3% IRA CD's Remotely

Posted by: kaimen | Mar 29, 2016

As a remote customer not related to Andrews I'd say the service is pretty good and the process went smoothly.

The steps include -
1. Joining ACC online
2. Joining AFCU online (both instantaneous, pay $5 each with credit card)
3. Print/fill out and priority mail Trustee-to-Trustee fund transfer request form (form 302 from website) to AFCU (2-day)
4. AFCU mails request form to Fidelity (2-day)
5. Fidelity wires fund to AFCU (free from Fidelity and no charge for inbound from AFCU).
6. In the meantime print/fill out an IRA application form (form 98 from website) then scan/email to AFCU before the arrival of the fund.
7. Rate is locked once fund is received.

You Can Not Open Account If You Have Moved

Posted by: John Simon | Feb 2, 2016

I have moved and apparently AFCU refuses to allow me to change/edit address on my application. Have several other accounts and never been through this much hassle.

Not Happy With Andrews

Posted by: klink | May 28, 2015

Attempted to open account online. Process is not explained in a logical order until to late. Funding the accounts is impossible because of the limited amount you can ACH transfer. Wanted to open a basic share acct. (Req), then get a mil. special cert. $4000.00 offered until the end of the month. Could only transfer $1000.00 based on their system. Nowhere during the process was it said that once your application was accepted with the link to the account you are sending money from and an amount and an e-mail with acct. information had been sent to you confirming all this did you get the email requiring that a photo, scan or fax of your mil. ID and drivers license was required. Process would have taken well past the dates the Cert. Special was being offered. Jeers to Andrews. Be aware that if you wish to be a member read the fine print and be prepared to open in a branch or wait for their schedule of events.

New Customer

Posted by: Anon456 | May 22, 2015

A bit difficult to use the web site, and it is SOOOOO slow. You may need to ONLY USE IEXPLORER to get the site to work properly.

Great Credit Union, Saved Me From Horrid Experience

Posted by: StephenM2 | Feb 2, 2015

I have nothing but good things to say about Andrews Federal Credit Union. For a while I was paying abysmal interest rates on four student loans through Sallie Mae - around 15%. While I never missed a payment on them or any credit card, I was not getting anywhere trying to consolidate them. I came across CUSTUDENTLOANS and they were willing to consolidate them through Andrews Federal Credit Union. I went through with it and they offered me a fair 7% interest rate. I've called them a couple of times for questions about the loan and their customer service agents have been nothing but pleasant to me, compared to the demons who worked at Sallie Mae. I haven't had any payment problems (like Sallie Mae hitting me with late fees even though I paid before the due date) and am happily paying off my loan. My only criticism is their online student loan payment website is extremely difficult to use. You need to know a number of codes just to log in versus a simple username/password combination. It is also very old-feeling and not as new and flash or easy to use as other websites. That is a small price I am willing to pay for a great interest rate and great customer service. I highly suggest you try them out if you are in a similar situation. You won't regret it.

Worst Credit Union EVER

Posted by: GeorgeJ | Jul 19, 2013

I joined AFCU after being told they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards for use in Europe.  I applied for a checking and savings account online and sent in my money.  After waiting several weeks and not hearing anything I sent a total of three e-mails asking for my account number so I could sign up for online banking.  Finally got the number.  I then asked by e-mail how to apply for the Chip and Pin DEBIT card and was told to apply for the Global Trek CREDIT Card.  I sent another e-mail, being very specific about my wanting a DEBIT card and was assured that was the way to do it.  I attempted to apply online for the Global Trek card and was asked two security questions.  One was a question I had not answered during the application process and I was never able to open the application.  I sent another e-mail to AFCU using another e-mail address and asked if they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards and was told they did not.  I sent an actual letter to a specific person in management telling that person of my frustration with their incompetence and never heard back.  I then sent an e-mail to that person complaining about not getting a response to the letter and never heard back from that.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

Andrews FCU Receives High Consumer Ratings From American Consumer Council

Posted by: tomhinton | Mar 18, 2013

During the past year, hundreds of consumers who are members of the American Consumer Council have told us how pleased they are with the outstanding service and friendliness provided at Andrews Federal Credit Union. In an era when banking is difficult and its hard to get loans, Andrews FCU consistently receives the top ratings from consumer-members of the American Consumer Council.  We're pleased to recognize Andrews FCU for its commitment to service and helping consumers participate in our nation's economic recovery.

Thomas Hinton, President & CEO, American Consumer Council

Great Place To Bank

Posted by: mainhatten | Oct 1, 2012

I joined AFCU after my bank (Community Bank) failed to pay my rent as set up in an automatic withdrawal for three straight months.

Shortly after I joined I had to depart on a short notice deployment and needed to change an account at the last minute.  It was a weekend and luckily I had the business card with the local manger’s cell phone number. I called her at home and she promised to take care of the issue. My wife was worried that it wouldn’t workout but it did and I will be always grateful for the support I received. Would have never happened at by previous bank.

I have since switch all my banking to AFCU (credit card, auto loan, savings).  I know the employees, they are integral part of our community here overseas and that makes a big difference.  They are always doing something for service members and their families; attend our community meeting and events.

Their World Visa Card has very competitive rates and for a long time it was the only chip card available to Americans here in Europe which is important since most places do not use swipe readers any more.

If you are looking for a new banking facility, particularly if you are going to be overseas I highly recommend Andrews Federal Credit Union.

Too Many Hoops To Join And Get A Credit Card

Posted by: rt | Sep 27, 2012

I applied and got approved for an AFCU credit card two months ago.  However, I was told that I had to become a member before I could actually get the card.  So I completed the on-line membership application and provided another credit card to pay the membership funding fee.  One month later, no credit card arrived and when I called the credit union, they say that they do not have a record of my application although it was done online on their site and they cannot do anything with the confirmation number that I received from them after I completed the application.

This is 2012, it should not be this hard to apply for a credit card and to join a credit union.  They should be able to do better than this.

Don't Waste Your Time On Andrews Credit Union (Or Give Them Your Money)

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 14, 2012

This credit union is an example of why our country has problems. I applied for a GlobeTrek credit card with a credit limit of $5,000 and was turned down. First they lost the application, then they didn't have enough information, so I faxed 26 pages! Then I was turned down. I am retired and worth over $2 million. I live off my investments. My house is paid for. I have no debts. Credit score of 831. The reason is I cannot prove my income. It's Social Security and withdrawals from accounts that have been invested wisely. I don't have an actual list of my withdrawals that are done through my broker, therefore I'm a bad risk. At the same time other credit card companies send me a least one offer a week for credit cards with much higher limits than this rinky dink operation. This proves the banks (credit unions) are not lending money.

Never again will I waste my time with Andrews Credit Union, and I am closing my account.

Great Experience

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2012

I have been a member for over five years and have had great customer service. I can handle most of my banking by phone, online banking or in person. Best of all, if I travel, I can access my account at any CU Services participating branch.

Application

Posted by: bh20508 | Apr 19, 2012

Very difficult to get credit card even with close to 800 credit score and no debt. Application is very difficult to get through with lots of paper work.  After being approved for credit card with very low limit and lots of phone calls and paper work I now need to join. That has now become more hoops to jump thru as it just doesn’t seem to work online. I hope they don't lose all my stuff like the other reviewer.  At this point I still have nothing.   Could have gotten several cards by now from banks but I want their chip and pin card. I am not sure why anyone would really want to join other than a real specific reason because service is no different than a bank, put on hold and waited every time when I called and rates are about the same. My banks don’t have fees as long as you have a savings. So more than ever I don’t get credit unions.  I must be missing something.

Customer Service

Posted by: Ads | Mar 22, 2012

It's a great credit union and decent customer service, at long you are the member, not his or her spouse, otherwise you are in trouble! It's sad because I really like Andrews Federal Credit Union. The customer rep was super rude and didn't want to talk to me, only to my husband. Luckly, my husband contact a supervisor and we solved the situation. After that, I remove my salary from there and open an account in other bank.

Lucky, My Application & Deposit Was Apparently Lost In The Mail Or By Them....

I completed their on-line application which failed to process and directed me to fill out a paper application and mail it in.

A letter arrived 2 weeks (little slow) later asking me to send in a copy of 2 seperate forms of ID and an initial deposit.

I did this via the USPS w/o using tracking/delivery confirmation (my mistake) as the CU says they never received my information/deposit.

Lost or stolen ID and check? Odds tend to favor.... yes indeed. Placed a fraud alert with credit agencies and stopped payment on the check after 3 weeks and hope the mail was lost vs. stolen.

The "lucky" part...is their rate tanked during the above, and I obtained a full 1.08% increase with another credit union which I have written a very favorable review on this site previously.

BTW, the last ACU CSR stated if I stopped payment on my initial check and they later processed it, (after explaining all the above to 3 CSR's) I would incur a return check charge with them...DAH!