Andrews Federal Credit Union Reviews

Setup Account Challenges

Today is Nov-14. Started application on Nov-9.
After a long silence they ask a photo of my SS.
Silence, silence. They asked another photo of my driving license. Silence.....
The major problem is that the Digital Team is located somewhere in Europe (6 hours ahead of CMT according to their alert emails) and it makes all communication with a business day delay at the best.
Caller Center Help Desk doesn't have access to the Digital Team.
Nov-16 update. Yesterday I electronically signed a consent document, This afternoon I finally received my membership ID and could login to my account.
Nov-17. Andrews Union charged me $32 overdrawn fee when I tried to setup a link from my external bank This happened because they haven't deposited min $5 to open the savings account yet) and I had minus $5 balance in the savings account. Even with SR help I could not find a way to setup ACH link to an external account. The only available electronic option is the wire transfer.

Very Poor Customer Service

Two times I have initiated fund transfers with both transfers requiring muliple calls to complete.
Very incompetent - will never deal with them again - strongly recommend avoiding.

There Are Problems At Andrews FCU

This is a credit union with problems.

They Want To Foreclose, Do Not Care About Their Customers

Everyone, please be careful when dealing with Andrews Federal Credit Union. They were just bought out by Dovenmuehle. Who by the way have a one star rating out of 5 online. I have a short sale, actually the only part of the deal that is short is the second trust. In the last few weeks they got bought out and the loan is serviced by Dovenmuehle. Total unresponsiveness, promising to get the approval letter to me for weeks. Passing the buck back and forth between both companies. I am so fed up. We were approved for the short sale, just need the official letter. No one wants to take responsibility to give it. I think they want to see this home go into foreclosure!!!!!!!!
#andrewsfederalcreditunion #totallyunresponsive #andrewsfederalcredituniondoesntcare
#andrewsferderalcreditunionpassesthebuck
#dovenmuehledoesntcareaboutcustomers
#dovenmuehlepassesthebuck

Never Again

In 50 years of banking I have never dealt with an organization as disorganized or frustrating as Andrews FCU. I have tried for 5 days now to have them wire funds from a large CD that matured
to my bank. After at least 10 calls, 2 emails, and being placed on hold for 30 minutes each call, their
wire dept assured me it would be sent yesterday.
Of course it wasn't. After calling today to try and speak to a supervisor and being on hold for 20 minutes the line went dead. I am beyond furious. I'm not sure how to even contact them to get my money. They should be investigated by whichever gov't agency regulates credit unions.
Save yourself the aggravation and don't deal with them at all.

Terrible Customer Service

Currently on hold with Andrews, let's see how much of this review I can write before someone answers my call.

Two days ago I needed to change the PIN of my check card, so I called the automated line, and was for some reason locked out of it. I needed to speak to someone live.

I called the customer service line, and was put on hold. Twenty minutes later, out of boredom, I decided to pull up my USAA app and see how much work it would be to create another account there, as USAA actually has decent customer service.

I created an account, verified it, ordered a debit card, stopped automatic transfers to Andrews, restarted them to USAA, wrote a check to myself to move my funds over, and cashed the check into the USAA app. I was then at the 42 minute mark for holding, and I no longer needed Andrews.

Review written. I'm now 19 minutes into holding for Andrews to close my account. Save yourself the hassle and skip Andrews completely. No company that treats people like this deserves your business.

Horrible Customer Service

First of all, since I became a member 2 years ago- I have had nothing but issues when contacting AFCU. I have been calling to get answers on my vehicle loan payoff and have gotten nowhere. The only answer I get is someone will contact me back. I have yet to ever receive a phone call. I was informed my ACH info would be removed and no draft would occur. Now I have been over drafted and want my $ back. This has been a nightmare to deal with to say the least. I have never missed a payment, but like pulling teeth to get what's owed back to me. I am again on hold again waiting to speak to a manager to get this resolved now! Very unhappy. Don't recommend this bank to anyone

WORST BANKING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!

People...heed the reviews and bank elsewhere! It took them over THREE WEEKS to open my base share account before I could do anything else (intent was to open a CD)...and I have PERFECT credit. Then tried to open the 84 mo CD at 3.05%, but they will only draw a max of $10k to open a new account. Spoke to a rep who told me they could note my account while I am transferring the money in so that I could get the 3.05% rate in case it went away before I could fund the CD. So I began the process of moving a 6 figure sum into my base share account to fund the CD which took about a week. Of course the day before my money arrived the 84 mo 3.05 rate vanished. When I called another rep told me yes there was a note on my account about holding the rate while I was transferring the funds, but another note was posted the day after saying I needed to have the funds in the account THEN to lock the rate and they were supposed to call and let me know that. (They did not!) I was told a supervisor would call me later that day, THEY DID NOT. I immediately pulled the money back out and closed the accounts, and they cost me about $250 in lost interest while the money was in transit back and forth and in membership fees for crap that I do not need. They DO NOT follow through on their word and their customer service and communications are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

Illegal To Withhold Money From My Certificate Of Deposit

I recently opened an account here in order to buy the 84 month CD(right before rate dropped). Seems they transferred all money into CD except $1000 which they said would be returned at maturity. I believe it's illegal to withhold funds from a CD like this. Trying to get answers now...I'll keep this post active until it's resolved.

Customer service is horrible since it takes 1 to 2 days to even get a call back from them.

Decent, But Some Hoops

Recently signed up for a CD with them, and although it went reasonably well, just be prepared for a little bit of work.

Setting up an account (without a branch near you) requires the typical 'life story' application along with scans of your license/documents. Not a big deal, but a little bit of a pain.

Moving the money in on a CD isn't quite as easy as a simple ACH, however, as they have 10K limits (at least for new members). So there it's easiest to use a shared CU branch. So long as you have a local branch, not too terrible, just make sure you can write a check or get the money to the local CU.

But the big issue with these guys is simply getting them on the phone. It's easy to get the call center, but they are kind of useless, they can't handle CDs. So you need a real bank person ... sometimes they answer reasonably quickly, other times it feels like you are dealing with a support call with Microsoft or some tech company. Took me close to an hour to get a hold of someone when I did it. You have an option through the call center of leaving a callback number, but I was kind of shocked when I was told it'd take 1-2 days to get that call back. That's simply too long, especially if eager to get a CD finalized in an environment where the FED just crashed the rates.

Anyway, managed okay in my case, but just be aware that it may not be supersonic to get them on the phone.

Fantastic Service

It took an hour to become a member of Andrews Federal CU via membership in American Consumer Council. Moved money from another bank to my account at Andrews through the shared branch; it took 5 minutes and money arrived to my account at Andrews in less than an hour. Called the Rep on Saturday around noon, waited for about 10 minutes. Asked to open CD, it took 5 minutes to open one; in 10 minutes I had a confirmation in my computer. The interest rates are at the top and service is fantastic! Highly recommended.

Prepare For Junk Mail

Having become a member of Andrews this past year, I've been dismayed by the fact that I've received junk mail from Andrews affiliates, e.g. offers for life insurance. Upon contacting them to remove me from their marketing lists, I was told to allow up to 6 months for my name to be purged from said lists. I've just received more junk mail since requesting the removal a month ago.

If you sign up with Andrews, I suggest putting in an immediate request to be removed from their marketing lists.

Terrible Is The Word

As with others here, applied and got denied. Called them and customer sevice has no clue why the application was denied. They say all that they can see is that it was denied and nothing else.

Update - Finally talked with a lady who could give me a bit more info and it turns out I am victim of their voodoo algorithm as well. My credit is in good condition with no derogs but apparently that is not good enough for andrews. She also said they approve people with not so great credit all the time but in my case, their algorithm simply didnt like me and that was that.

Also Denied - UPDATE Approved

Very similar to other respondent -

Retired - excellent credit scores near or above 800 - trying to open 7 year $175k CD. Declined no explanation.

Approved. They said SS number was not correct. Since they block it out as you type, hard to verify.

This Has To Be The Worst Credit Union Ever

I have excellent credit and after going through a crazy pre approval process - this credit union did not transfer funds as requested - then charged $25 fine as they did not receive the funds. They then locked my account online so I can't see what is going on. The hold times are appalling and I have called multiple times to get a call back to resolve this - because the clerks say that the people that can open the account do not come to the phone they have to call me. Of course I have not received any calls back.
Hell would freeze over before I would place any money with these people and unless to want the same treatment I would do the same. Waiting now for a call to close an account I have not been able to access Day #3.
A disgraceful way to treat someone.

Takes A While But Well Worth It

Took 8 working days to open an account due to high volume.

Excellent customer service each time.

Well worth the time and effort. Currently they have the best CD rates, 8 months 2.86% APY and 17 months 2.95% APY specials. Maximum deposit for each special share certificate is $250,000.00.

85K CD Application Denied Due To Algorithm

I and my wife's Andrews FCU application was just denied online for a 3.45 7 year CD. The online site didn't give a reason as to why my application was denied. I called customer service. The representative took about 15 minutes wait time, then told me that my application had been denied due to some type of algorithm they use. I said my credit rating and my wife's credit ratings were in the 800's. We are retired, own our own home, fully paid off and have substantial savings and net worth.
The rep said that credit scores were only part of the their algorithm score, but wouldn't divulge what other factors they consider.

I can't believe an institution that makes you go through all these hoops online to provide personal information and then at the last minute use some sort of "Star Chamber" secret scoring system to deny the funding of an Certificate of Deposit with them. I guess I should be glad they don't want my money so I can go elsewhere.

Never in my 60 years of life, have I ever been treated like this by a financial institution. For those thinking of using Andrews for anything, I would advise staying away, period!

Best CD Rates

Andrews seems to always offer the best CD rates and for that, I give them 5 stars.

Good Customer Service

I have been an IRA customer for over three years as Andrews have some of the best CD rates around. When I have questions on my account, I email Andrews and they respond within 24 hours with prompt and courteous answers. When my CD matures in another 4 years, I may keep it here if there rates stay competitive. Keep up the good work AFCU.

Very Easy To Open Account And Friendly Staff

I opened account online, transferred money via shared branch. Customer Service is good, I have to hold max 5 minutes for customer service. You can do most of work by secure messages in their website.

Just plan for mobile deposit limit or external transfer limit or you can open only 1 promotional product.

Website is nice, you can setup lot of alerts. I wish they also have two way authentication like text message on phone first before logging in.

Worst Of All!

This is definitely the worst of all banks I have ever done business with. Costumer service is ZERO starts! Communication is ZERO Starts! And problem solving, like basic one-handling a car insurance as prove of insurance for lowering monthly payments- is ZERO starts. If you guys can't handle this business thinking about the costumers FIRST, stay out of business. Shut you doors and get out! I couldn't regret more "shaking my hands" in getting a car loan with guys guys. Please folks, choose a different bank!

CAUTION - Does HARD PULL On Credit Report

I opened an individual share acct. in Nov. 2016, and in Dec. opened a joint acct. (I was already a member from Nov.) -- and they did HARD PULL on my credit TWICE.. I joined only to make deposits -- NEVER APPLIED FOR CREDIT.
HARD PULLS are for credit applications --
should have been only a soft inquiry for deposit only accts.

Waste Of Time

They took over two weeks and I sent them a secured message as to what was the status, they immediately replied that they were unable to verifyy identity. Horrible service. Laid back and lazy. I passed the identity questions. I am a US citizen born here. I sent them all the information they requested. Long and tedious application process. I recommend you don't waste your time with these people.

The Roach Hotel Of Credit Unions

I've had accounts with Andrews for several years. I originally joined to open an IRA CD but could never get in writing that I could take my RMD without paying early withdrawal penalties or breaking the CD. The CSR's just kept saying "we've always done it this way". That was not enough for me to commit $250,000 for 5 years to an IRA CD so the money went elsewhere. Then they offered me an auto loan refinance for .99% so I did that and figured it was worth it as I was earning 2.5% on the money that I owed on the loan. That was a nightmare to jump through all of the hoops that they presented and not worth the money I made on the difference. They also did a total of three hard pulls that persist on my record to this day when they told me I would only have one. I couldn't change the bank that they auto withdrew my payments on the loan without sending in a form and a voided check, so I just paid off the loan and waited 8 weeks to get the title. They originally took 6 months to get the title from Pen Fed when I transferred the loan to them.
Now I am trying to close my share savings account and waited a long time to talk with a CSR to request the account be closed and she said it would be done today. Today I got an email from them that says they need a signed request snail mailed to them with a copy of my drivers license in order to close the account. I haven't moved in 15 years but they need a photo ID with my current address in order to process my request to close my account and send me back my $5. I, like a lot of you here, have accounts at multiple banks and credit unions all across the country, and this is by far the worst place I have ever done my banking. If I can just close this account, I will never be back, I don't care what kind of interest rate they offer.

Same Experience

As others have not their customer service is really bad, long wait times and no transparency to what's happening with your application. At any other financial institution opening a CD is an automated process. I ended up calling them and after a wait time of 20 mins a lovely woman was able to open the CD in minutes. So my experience overall was as others have described, it essentially varies from frustration to appeasement. If you are opening a CD then you don't really care much about customer service for the entire duration of your CD anyways!

No Customer Service

I have called everyday for 4 weeks and cannot get a customer service representative on the phone.I used their automated call back feature and no one has called back.
I cannot get quicken to update since they switched from cm netter . I`ve tried everything ,delete accounts , go in through quicken, delete , manual download . It continues to lump my 2 Cd`s into one account . Very frustrating .

Great Rates With Andrews

I just opened my 9 mo. 2.75% very easily. I appreciate their great rates. Have been a member for a couple of years since I purchased 3% cd's a couple of years ago. I was nervous about it since I read reviews about the diffulties some were having opening cd's at that time. However, I just followed deposit account readers instructions/advice in doing so and everything has gone smoothly since that time. Thank you Ken and readers of deposit accounts for your help.

Very Disappointed!

Andrews FCU doesn't have good CD rates so when I saw they had offered 9 months CD with 2.75% APY I've jumped on the opportunity to invest in. It took them to process and approve my application more than 14 days (compare to 1 day with KS State Bank}.
Until the first CD application got approved I was not able to apply for a second CD account. I thought to process my second application will be faster! I was wrong! Two weeks later my second application is still pending! I'm very disappointing!

Not Only Very Long Wait On Phone To Talk To Rep But Rep Does Not Know The Answer And You Have A Second Wait

I made a deposit through shared branching for $100,000. I had been told previously by one rep that after I made the deposit I needed to call to have the money put into their advertised CD. I called and was told by the rep I spoke with that my money was on hold for 12 days and there was nothing that could be done until then. When I became upset with that response, she said she would transfer me to the main office. Luckily I was not disconnected but did have another long wait. I explained to the second rep that I did not want to withdraw the money, just open a CD. The second rep said she could open the CD and would have the hold removed. After a lengthy wait, she did so. Not an easy process. Were it not for the 9 mo. CD at 2.75% I would never deal with this credit union again.

Great Service From Andrews

I have had accounts with Andrews for many years and have always
received first class service.

A Work In Progress

I think their 9 month 2.75 APY CD deal is the best thing available anywhere, right now, if one doesn't want to tie up funds for a long time, but wants a really good rate. The question is: How much are you able to put up with to get it? I expect their phones to be busy because of the offer, but it took a half hour and getting switched around to 4 different reps, mostly on hoid, to get to the right one. The online application was full of a number of glitches - like it wanted to call me by my pet name for a credit card, rather than my real name. There's an application - breaker, if not corrected. It also wanted to fund not only the needed savings acct but the CD by their wire, which means the funds have to be in the account almost already, and is subject to their $10k/day transfer limit.
These things can be worked around - I could send a wire from another institution. Or I could establish an ACH link from another institution and that $10k limit would disappear. And the rep I finally got through to did say she'd shepherd my account application through the process, given the difficulties. I guess I'll see how well that goes, given the combination of long hold times and their need to transfer you to somebody with the right knowledge can eat up a lot of time, just to get to the right place. I think it depends on how patient you are, how much free time you've got to put into this. Sweet rate for such a short term, though.

Customer Service Hold Times Are Excessive

One of the messages they repeat ad nauseam while one is on hold is "At Andrews Federal we appreciate your membership". Don't believe it. Today I waited 18 minutes to speak with a CSR and eventually abandoned the call because no one took the call. The second time I called waited 15+ minutes before abandoning. I next tried their call-back option but there is no way to know what position one has in the queue.

I initially joined the credit union because I was planning to establish an IRA a couple of years ago, but changed my mind when a better rate became available elsewhere. However, I still have a share account here and will continue to keep it open with a minimum balance in case they offer competitive rates on their CDs.

I Don't Use Them Much, Just For A CD. Have Other Issues

I opened a CD at Andrews maybe a year ago. At the time their rates were among the best and being a CD account haven't had much dealings with them and when I have have had no real issues....
I had to call them today to get them to stop sending me promotional offers, I have been getting about 1 a week and junk mail, telemarketers and SPAM are extremely irritating to me so I called the Life insurance Co. in the promotion and Andrews to get them to stop.

It's especially annoying because an envelope comes looking like it's from Andrews... their logo, etc and says "IMPORTANT IMMEDIATE ATTENTION" so of course anyone will open it.

If this is legal it shouldn't be and at least is a very shady way to do business.

Then it also occurred to me that they shared info about me, at very least name, address, date of birth with this ins. company (and surely others) who I know nothing about. This also seems it should be illegal. I don't know anything about this insurance company and even if I trusted and liked them places get hacked all the time so the more places have your info the more exposed you are.

So, I doubt I will be doing any more business with them, I have almost 20 other banks I deal with and don't get these promotions mailed to me by them, although who knows what they share?

I will read privacy policies carefully from now on and also look into privacy laws if there are any left.

Too Many Hoops/ACH Limits

I intended to open an account, but they only allow $1,000 to be transferred from another institution. Since I wanted to open a CD with $20,000, I called to find out how to do that. I got no satisfaction and decided to cancel the application. Today I received a notice that they rejected my membership application! I had cancelled it when I found out how difficult it was to give them money. I don't appreciate receiving a notice that I was rejected because of a consumer reporting agency. Apparently they didn't need any money. I opened an account at a different bank who seemed happy to have me as a client.

Absolutely Atrocious And Incompetent Service

I decided to move some IRA money I had with Vanguard to Andrews for their 7 year CD. Here's what happened: person #1 said send in the two forms completed and I will take care of everything; I did that and then person #2 said no-we won't contact Vanguard, you have to; person #3 instead of sending me the completed forms back to me, they sent me blank forms so I had to get another notary certification; person #4 said that I had not sent in the transfer form request and I had to send in another one; person #5 said no person #4 was wrong and that I had to send in the application form again. Forewarned is forearmed.

Often Has Good CD Specials

I joined for the chip-and-PIN card to travel in Europe, and it's worked well for me. Like many credit unions, they wanted a bit more documentation (pay stubs, etc) than is typical for large national banks, but that was a price well worth paying because the large national banks still love chip-and-signature and it can be hard to get a card that works right in Europe.

I also occasionally take advantage of CD specials, like the current 3% holiday special (available in your choice of either 3 month or 84 month terms, but nothing in between).

Unlike some other reviews, I didn't find the membership process to be too bad, but there wasn't a high volume of new members stampeding for a special when I joined, either.

Tips For Opening Account

I applied online, do not live near any branches.

ACH Limits: The maximum ACH limit on application is $1,000, and is not disclosed until the last page of the application. Once opened, the maximum ACH transfer through Andrews is $5,000 per day and $25,000 per month. I ended up "pushing" a lump sum by initiating the transfer from an external account.

Opening Share Certificate: Once the money was in the Base Savings account, I called to have a Share Certificate opened. I tried numerous times during the afternoon with no success beyond being on hold. Finally I called one morning around 9am eastern time and reached someone. The transfer was quick and easy. I was told that department opens at 8am eastern time.

Confirmation: When opening a share certificate by phone, request the confirmation be sent by email. This can be sent instantly. Andrews is the only credit union I have seen which does not list the rate paid for the share certificate online in the account's summary. So, be sure to get a copy of the confirmation. If not sent by email, it is sent by postal mail.

Good luck to anyone. I was opening short term CDs so was not very aggressive in getting it opened, but am glad to have finally opened at least some of what I wanted.

Best CD, Inconsistent Customer Service

Andrews' 7-year holiday special CD is the best at this time, with 3.01% APY and 180-day interest early withdrawal penalty. Even if I withdraw everything after two years, the effective APY is still >2%.

I applied for membership online. They asked for ID verification docs which I uploaded right away. After that I didn't hear from them for a whole month! I then left them a message asking what was taking so long. It turned out they wanted one more thing from me - proof of address. Once I uploaded that, they approved my application.

I went to a local CU branch and deposited a check to my Andrews' savings through co-op. Then I called Andrews to open the CD, but the first rep told me they cannot open new account over the phone... I just thanked her, hung up, and called again. This second rep was fantastic; took care of the opening process under two minutes.

Long Wait For Application Process, Long Wait If Calling During Week Days, Very Limited ACH, Representative No So Helpful

I applied online. the application has not been approved after more than 1 week.

I also don't like their customer service on phone. I called about if I can use my other bank to do ACH deposit/withdraw, and how long it normally takes application to go through and what is my application status. the representative put me on hold, and the phone disconnected after me on hold for 45 min. I was on hold already for 40 min before talking to the representative. So, I called total of 3 times, 1st time total of 45 min on hold, 2nd time almost 1.5 hours. And representatives are not so helpful. mostly "can't help" or "I need to transfer you".

I just called today to cancel the membership. and they need to transfer me, and the main office just closed 15 min ago. So, they will call back by next Tues, and they don't give their main office number for me to call.

The short term CD rate is good, but doesn't worth the hours of waiting on phone and ended up no help or results. However, if you have a local branch, it's probably easier to open an account that way. Hopefully their branch employ is more helpful.

Long Wait For Application Process

Put my application to join credit union, been over 2 weeks. Wrote message to see what is going on still no reply. Call up put on hold forever I got tried of waiting

Andrews Federal Credit Union / IRA CD Rates

Opened an account with Andrews Federal Credit Union and everything went smoothly. has one of the best rates in the industry, 3% for 84month IRA CD....great. Thanks for the ease of setting up the account.

Great Rate - 3% 84 Month CD

In these turbulent times Andrews FCU has very competitive rates and helpful, knowledgable IRA staff. I completed, printed and mailed in their online form with instructions to move my IRA from Betterment. It all worked very smoothly and the whole process took two weeks by US Mail. I recommend you provide Andrews with wiring instructions to speed up the process.
Become a member of the American Consumer Council to be a member of Andrews Federal Credit Union if you don't have a branch nearby.

Just Joined And Opened 7 Yr 3% IRA CD

This month I joined and yesterday wired $$$ into my Roth IRA. My experience is similar to poster kainen with a couple differences. I joined the Am Consumer Council for free using the discount code "consumer".
I then joined Andrews with $5 ACH 'ed into my share account. I then contacted them by e-mail with questions. With no answer for a day or two, I called. After 20 minutes of hold and transfer,
I " finally" got the IRA dept. and a quite helpful and knowledgeable CSR who helped me with all my questions. After questions of if the rate would be good when my CD came free and I transferred around the first of month, she said if I joined, and then filled out a IRA application and emailed it into the IRA Dept., she would open the CD and wait for the money to be sent, insuring the rate for me. I was skeptical, but it worked exactly as she said. Due to the large(for me) amount I decided to wire it($20 bucks from sending CU)and it was deposited into my account that day.She also gave me her direct dial phone number and answered every time I called except once during her lunch.
Overall, a fairly easy, 1000 mile away experience.I'm not sure if we can get private messages, but I'll share her name and number for anyone wanting to open IRA and save you some time, I just don't want to post it on the forum.
Almost forgot, thanks Ken for this site. I learned of this rate and CU from this site.

You Can Not Open Account If You Have Moved

I have moved and apparently AFCU refuses to allow me to change/edit address on my application. Have several other accounts and never been through this much hassle.

Not Happy With Andrews

Attempted to open account online. Process is not explained in a logical order until to late. Funding the accounts is impossible because of the limited amount you can ACH transfer. Wanted to open a basic share acct. (Req), then get a mil. special cert. $4000.00 offered until the end of the month. Could only transfer $1000.00 based on their system. Nowhere during the process was it said that once your application was accepted with the link to the account you are sending money from and an amount and an e-mail with acct. information had been sent to you confirming all this did you get the email requiring that a photo, scan or fax of your mil. ID and drivers license was required. Process would have taken well past the dates the Cert. Special was being offered. Jeers to Andrews. Be aware that if you wish to be a member read the fine print and be prepared to open in a branch or wait for their schedule of events.

New Customer

A bit difficult to use the web site, and it is SOOOOO slow. You may need to ONLY USE IEXPLORER to get the site to work properly.

Great Credit Union, Saved Me From Horrid Experience

I have nothing but good things to say about Andrews Federal Credit Union. For a while I was paying abysmal interest rates on four student loans through Sallie Mae - around 15%. While I never missed a payment on them or any credit card, I was not getting anywhere trying to consolidate them. I came across CUSTUDENTLOANS and they were willing to consolidate them through Andrews Federal Credit Union. I went through with it and they offered me a fair 7% interest rate. I've called them a couple of times for questions about the loan and their customer service agents have been nothing but pleasant to me, compared to the demons who worked at Sallie Mae. I haven't had any payment problems (like Sallie Mae hitting me with late fees even though I paid before the due date) and am happily paying off my loan. My only criticism is their online student loan payment website is extremely difficult to use. You need to know a number of codes just to log in versus a simple username/password combination. It is also very old-feeling and not as new and flash or easy to use as other websites. That is a small price I am willing to pay for a great interest rate and great customer service. I highly suggest you try them out if you are in a similar situation. You won't regret it.

Worst Credit Union EVER

I joined AFCU after being told they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards for use in Europe.  I applied for a checking and savings account online and sent in my money.  After waiting several weeks and not hearing anything I sent a total of three e-mails asking for my account number so I could sign up for online banking.  Finally got the number.  I then asked by e-mail how to apply for the Chip and Pin DEBIT card and was told to apply for the Global Trek CREDIT Card.  I sent another e-mail, being very specific about my wanting a DEBIT card and was assured that was the way to do it.  I attempted to apply online for the Global Trek card and was asked two security questions.  One was a question I had not answered during the application process and I was never able to open the application.  I sent another e-mail to AFCU using another e-mail address and asked if they offered Chip and Pin DEBIT cards and was told they did not.  I sent an actual letter to a specific person in management telling that person of my frustration with their incompetence and never heard back.  I then sent an e-mail to that person complaining about not getting a response to the letter and never heard back from that.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

Andrews FCU Receives High Consumer Ratings From American Consumer Council

During the past year, hundreds of consumers who are members of the American Consumer Council have told us how pleased they are with the outstanding service and friendliness provided at Andrews Federal Credit Union. In an era when banking is difficult and its hard to get loans, Andrews FCU consistently receives the top ratings from consumer-members of the American Consumer Council.  We're pleased to recognize Andrews FCU for its commitment to service and helping consumers participate in our nation's economic recovery.

Thomas Hinton, President & CEO, American Consumer Council

Great Place To Bank

I joined AFCU after my bank (Community Bank) failed to pay my rent as set up in an automatic withdrawal for three straight months.

Shortly after I joined I had to depart on a short notice deployment and needed to change an account at the last minute.  It was a weekend and luckily I had the business card with the local manger’s cell phone number. I called her at home and she promised to take care of the issue. My wife was worried that it wouldn’t workout but it did and I will be always grateful for the support I received. Would have never happened at by previous bank.

I have since switch all my banking to AFCU (credit card, auto loan, savings).  I know the employees, they are integral part of our community here overseas and that makes a big difference.  They are always doing something for service members and their families; attend our community meeting and events.

Their World Visa Card has very competitive rates and for a long time it was the only chip card available to Americans here in Europe which is important since most places do not use swipe readers any more.

If you are looking for a new banking facility, particularly if you are going to be overseas I highly recommend Andrews Federal Credit Union.

Too Many Hoops To Join And Get A Credit Card

I applied and got approved for an AFCU credit card two months ago.  However, I was told that I had to become a member before I could actually get the card.  So I completed the on-line membership application and provided another credit card to pay the membership funding fee.  One month later, no credit card arrived and when I called the credit union, they say that they do not have a record of my application although it was done online on their site and they cannot do anything with the confirmation number that I received from them after I completed the application.

This is 2012, it should not be this hard to apply for a credit card and to join a credit union.  They should be able to do better than this.

Don't Waste Your Time On Andrews Credit Union (Or Give Them Your Money)

This credit union is an example of why our country has problems. I applied for a GlobeTrek credit card with a credit limit of $5,000 and was turned down. First they lost the application, then they didn't have enough information, so I faxed 26 pages! Then I was turned down. I am retired and worth over $2 million. I live off my investments. My house is paid for. I have no debts. Credit score of 831. The reason is I cannot prove my income. It's Social Security and withdrawals from accounts that have been invested wisely. I don't have an actual list of my withdrawals that are done through my broker, therefore I'm a bad risk. At the same time other credit card companies send me a least one offer a week for credit cards with much higher limits than this rinky dink operation. This proves the banks (credit unions) are not lending money.

Never again will I waste my time with Andrews Credit Union, and I am closing my account.

Great Experience

I have been a member for over five years and have had great customer service. I can handle most of my banking by phone, online banking or in person. Best of all, if I travel, I can access my account at any CU Services participating branch.

Application

Very difficult to get credit card even with close to 800 credit score and no debt. Application is very difficult to get through with lots of paper work.  After being approved for credit card with very low limit and lots of phone calls and paper work I now need to join. That has now become more hoops to jump thru as it just doesn’t seem to work online. I hope they don't lose all my stuff like the other reviewer.  At this point I still have nothing.   Could have gotten several cards by now from banks but I want their chip and pin card. I am not sure why anyone would really want to join other than a real specific reason because service is no different than a bank, put on hold and waited every time when I called and rates are about the same. My banks don’t have fees as long as you have a savings. So more than ever I don’t get credit unions.  I must be missing something.

Customer Service

It's a great credit union and decent customer service, at long you are the member, not his or her spouse, otherwise you are in trouble! It's sad because I really like Andrews Federal Credit Union. The customer rep was super rude and didn't want to talk to me, only to my husband. Luckly, my husband contact a supervisor and we solved the situation. After that, I remove my salary from there and open an account in other bank.

Lucky, My Application & Deposit Was Apparently Lost In The Mail Or By Them....

I completed their on-line application which failed to process and directed me to fill out a paper application and mail it in.

A letter arrived 2 weeks (little slow) later asking me to send in a copy of 2 seperate forms of ID and an initial deposit.

I did this via the USPS w/o using tracking/delivery confirmation (my mistake) as the CU says they never received my information/deposit.

Lost or stolen ID and check? Odds tend to favor.... yes indeed. Placed a fraud alert with credit agencies and stopped payment on the check after 3 weeks and hope the mail was lost vs. stolen.

The "lucky" part...is their rate tanked during the above, and I obtained a full 1.08% increase with another credit union which I have written a very favorable review on this site previously.

BTW, the last ACU CSR stated if I stopped payment on my initial check and they later processed it, (after explaining all the above to 3 CSR's) I would incur a return check charge with them...DAH!