Axos Bank Reviews

Missing Thousands Of $$

I've been using this account for a couple years now. When I did not receive a $500 credit I was expecting back & was given proof that was put back into my account from other company is when I pulled my last 3 months statement up OMFG After then viewing my direct deposits from employment that show what I was given & mat hing it to what Axos Bank showed was deposited There is over $5000 missing ?? I've contacted customer service where there option does not allow you to even wait on hold & then going the fraud avenue The rep after hour of waiting on hold hung up on me. I've called the police due to the theft of my $ & my tangible loss taken However that still does not give me my $ back ?? idk what to do

"So Far Sooooo Good"

I recently opened an account with Axos Bank, and appreciate my experience with all. Looking at the President & CEO's Info. (Greg Garrabrants) was/ is Impressive - linked on their web site at "About Us."
As he, two of my life's closest and most respected friends also attended Northwestern University, a small part of Mr. Garrabrants experience.

You Are Not Allowed To Share Your Bad Experience

Axos 1 star reviews keep getting wiped no matter how legitimate and polite. No matter how concise and revised!

Worst Bank In 45 Years Of Banking

This is the worst bank I've ever done business with in 45 years: All kinds of restriction accessing my funds...daily limits, monthly limits; terrible customer service; Conflicting information: first, fill out, sign and fax/email a wire transfer form, then "we don't accept these anymore, you must request one online" etc. etc. DON'T USE THIS BANK IF YOU WANT TO AVOID HEADACHES.

Axos Acts Like They Don't Want Your Business

I just had a terrible experience trying to open an account with this bank that I thought I'd share.

I was recently shopping for two new banks for SAVINGS deposits (not a loan or credit). I opened an account with a competitor, and they immediately approved the account and processed a deposit request (no human intervention required). Fully up and running in 2 days, all good there.

Then, I tried to open with Axos. Filled out the online form. Their system didn't work for uploading a driver's license photo, so I had to manually enter the info. On completion, the system said it would have to be reviewed by a human, and they'd get back to me. 5-6 hours later, I got a cold "sorry, we cannot verify your identity so we've declined your account" email. No info on WHY, no way to follow up. Just a cold, hard decline. Seriously??? So I called the bank. I got a very nice lady who apologized profusely for my experience and worked her tail off to try to find my application ID, which didn't come up with my email address or SSN. She finally found it by going through some email log system, opened a ticket, and said someone from the processing department would call me within 24 hours. I got no call. Instead, I got another email telling me my credit file was locked and if I wanted an account with them, I'd have to start all over again and do a global unlock so anyone in the world could read it. Note that the other bank had ZERO problems verifying my identity.

While they have high rates, Axos acts like they are doing you a favor *letting* you be their customer. Instead, they should be courting customers -- acting like customers have money to give them and they actually want to receive that money and succeed in business. Instead, they simply act like they don't care. This whole thing could have been avoided had they simply contacted me and tried to work through the issues. This isn't really the kind of company I care to do business with. We aren't talking about chump change here, so it's really their loss. I'll just go with a competitor.

Glad I Stayed!

Customer service has been excellent. Rates are consistently good. In fact, I have moved most of my money from CapitalOne for the better rates and much better service with Axos.

My daughter's kids account allowed her to learn and earn. The account transitioned to regular MMSavings went smoothly when she reached 18.

I was a Bank of Internet customer. When Axos acquired BofI, there were some transition problems and I almost left. I am glad I stayed.

Really Downhill. Debit Card Doesn't Work!

I have been a customer since BOFI days.

Recently, I have been having difficulty with my card.

It especially happens at gas pumps.

The ones with chip readers are horrible!

The card then freezes and I can't use it until I reset from home.

It's not a funding issue.

In looking into it, several times, I've been told that since it's a debit card, I can't use it as a credit card.

Since some chip readers don't give you that option, I find this unreliable.

I have accounts at 2 other banks and don't experience this issue.

Here is one of several replies.

"Hope you are having a great day. Thank you for choosing Bank of Internet for your banking needs and for being a valuable customer. Our cards are specifically debit cards, it is always best to swipe the card as debit. If the merchant is not able to swipe the card as debit, this can place a 30 minute restriction on the debit card for trying to bypass the security of entering the PIN. We apologize for the inconvenience, but unfortunately we are not able to control the technology the merchant uses to swipe the card.

We appreciate your business and commit to providing superior banking products, support and services.

Jaideep
Bank of Internet Customer Service"

Here is the review I posted at BBB.

I used to love this bank. I've been with them over 30 years.
Incredibly good support. Always helpful.

I detest this bank now. I'm working on moving everything, thirty years' worth, elsewhere.

I've been informed, after having my card rejected numerous times, that I may no longer use my debit card as a credit card.

In other words, I try to get gas where there is only a chip reader and no buttons or choices, I have to use my other bank.

I've been rejected at grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores.

I asked if the chip could be faulty. No. It's acting according to their imbecilic plan.

After 30 happy years, I have to say GO ELSEWHERE!!!! "

I don't know if this is a new state of the arts.
I like to go out with my license and bank card and keys.

I can't do that now.

Scammed Me Out Of My Money

In the beginning they were very nice but once they have my money not my money stuck in their bank and I am unable to get my money back from them biggest bank scammers ever don’t trust this bank at all just go to a regular bank or you can meet someone face-to-face be very careful $1500 of my money is gone and I cannot get it back

Axos - Avoid Like The Plague

Believe the bad reviews.
When Axos bought Nationwide Bank in 2018 competence plummeted along with renewal interest rates. As my CDs mature I've been transferring them to banks with far better interest rates. I've transferred CDs from local banks, online banks, credit unions and this is by far the worst bank I've ever dealt with. Generally transfers of CD funds from one institution to another are easy. With all paperwork properly completed and forwarded by the day of an IRA CD's maturity I expected a timely transfer. After no response the receiving institution faxed the paperwork AGAIN. Still no response. After 3 weeks of this nonsense I was told by an Axos agent that yet another form was required by Axos. I immediately emailed the form they requested (after telling the agent it didn't seem like an appropriate form for my IRA CD transfer) then told oops! wrong form, not needed after all. Multiple phone calls, emails later I was then told NO forms had ever been received to initiate the transfer. I then had the receiving institution a fax a THIRD copy of the paperwork. Finally, Axos said they received the paperwork and would send the funds. I have zero confidence this will happen. If you want your $ held hostage to their incompetence sign up today!

Worst Bank Ever!

We wanted to have our matured Jumbo CD funds ACH transferred to the SAME VERIFIED BANK we were having the monthly interest wired to. Took 7 phone calls (think of the time on hold waiting), an attempt at a chat ("We'll get back to you in 24-48 hours"), 2 faxes, and frustration beyond words - "we can't give you a phone number or transfer you to the wire department", "we don't send the funds on the date of maturity" (despite an email from the saying they were going to), "we send them the next day so we can pay the interest". They really just want to send you a check, just like they did in the Pony Express days. DO NOT USE THIS BANK. We have used at least forty banks over the years and this one is the WORST!!! Plenty of good ones out there....

Also A Horrible, Terrifying Experience

I have been an Axos customer for some months. Today, I received the email below.

"At this time, the Bank has made the decision to end our banking relationship. Third party activity is strictly prohibited. The recent tax credit posting to your account on 2/26/20, payable to William Ramirez, will be returned.

As indicated in your Deposit Account Agreement accepted during account application, "The Bank reserves the right to close your account for any reason, without cause, or notice."

This decision is final. All account access is disabled.

Best Regards,

Axos Bank™ Customer Service"

I do not understand this. My name was on the tax refund, as well as my husband. I had no way to know this would be an issue, as I could only find reference in your documentation about "third party" checks. This is NOT the case here. I added my husband to the Axos account months ago.

Every dollar we have is in your bank, over $5,000 after all direct deposits come in. We trusted you to act fairly. I have anther direct deposit that I cannot stop that will be coming tomorrow. I need to have this account working, or I cannot pay my rent.

Why couldn't you contact me? Literally, the account was working early this afternoon, then 20 minutes later, nothing. I can provide proof that my name is on the tax refund information. Is it possible you can transfer the money out, to another bank of ours?

Please help us. I am beyond freaked out, over the line to hysterical. PLEASE help us.

Horrible Experience

The website and and ads make this bank look so tech forward but their applications and service in practice are horrible. Closing my account this week. So hard to do simple banking requests. Stay away!

Recommend You NOT Do Business With AXOS

Axos customer service never processed an address change from August '19, so no notice on a maturing November '19 CD received. Result, a 68 year-old retired school teacher was penalized $2.5K+ for want of being a couple weeks late and the need to pay hospice bills. Great PR effort. (But know that Axos will break their own T+Cs when it is to their advantage.)

Adding insult to injury, Axos auto-renewed the CD at less than half their advertised rate!!! That was simply a sleazy, while-your-back-was-turned move that no bank should ever be allowed to set as a standard practice. But as their customer service department was quick to point out "Sir, we don't need to send you anything (before a CD matures and auto-renews) anyway."

Axos deserves its BBB rating of B. I recommend not doing business with Axos, or with Nationwide who sold out their customers to this outfit. Axos Bank does NOT "empower customers to make real progress toward their goals," it strangles them!

What’S Not To Like?

Competitive rates. Low fees. Prompt, polite and efficient customer service. This bank is a hidden gem.

They Appear To Be Operating On 19Th Century Technology

opened an account on dec. 13, funded it with a check drawn on an account at the third-largest mutual fund company in the world. The money finally became available on Christmas day. Apparently there was a problem with mining the ore or smelting the metal, or possibly with stamping out the coins before turning them over to the Pony Express. The debit card still hasn't appeared as of Dec. 31. The whole damned operation could have been accomplished in two minutes with a dozen mouse clicks and ledger entries. Customer service was utterly useless. Stay away.

Nonprofit Business Checking And Money Market

Originally opened the account under Bank of internet. They apparently changed the account terms on us, but never informed us and never sent the updated disclosure. After 2 years of contesting erroneous bank fees on mobile deposits, I was finally sent the "new" Axos disclosure, dated from 2018, (um, hello, why the heck was I never sent this?) where it states in fine print on p 33 that mobile deposits are considered 2 items, not one. So if you signed up thinking that you would have 50 free transactions per month, you're really only getting 25 if you do all deposits. Oh, and there's NO OTHER WAY TO DEPOSIT THOSE CHECKS. Now I need to take this new information to our board and decide whether we're keeping the accounts. The interest on our accounts has been great, but you pay for it in the amount of time you spend with customer service trying to get things fixed.

Business Checking Deposits

AVOID THIS TERRIBLE BANK AT ANY COST
Made a deposit of a third party check into my small business account and the nightmare started! they cashed the check but never released the funds to my account!
When asked them to return the check to me, they gave me two choices; either to ask the issuer to cancel the check or get them a hypnotized letter from the check owner authorizing my firm to cash the check. Traveled to a different state to obtain the notarized letter! Sent it by email as they requested, now they are asking me to send the original letter and check to their loss prevention for review! i am afraid they will keep the check and the funds!
Any advise is appreciated!

Worst Bank I Have Ever Used

Absolutely the worst bank I have ever used in my life. Stay away - you have been warned. It is nearly impossible to get anything done, such as receiving a debit card, receiving checks, making a transfer, etc.

You must call and email multiple times to perform even the simplest task because they are so disorganized on the back end.

A simple transfer between accounts can take days whereas you can do this instantly with other larger banks.

It took me over two months to open an account and I still don't have the account number. I have emailed them six times in the last two weeks and I have not received one response. I emailed two previous people I worked with whose specific email addresses I have - I received an automatic response from one of them that they are out of the office for the next two weeks and zero responses from the other individual. I emailed their customer service email address four times and received no response whatsoever. I try my best to avoid calling them since I am usually transferred multiple times and then sometimes disconnected after being on hold for 30 minutes.

This bank has some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. They are clearly understaffed and more concerned about growth and opening new accounts then keeping their existing customers happy. I STRONGLY recommend you avoid this bank unless you have NO OTHER OPTIONS. You have been warned. Working with them has been an absolute disaster.

Business Checking A Joke

Just told Axos to pack sand after taking the time to set up 2 business accounts with them. I am a real estate investor and need a checking account for each property. First complaint.... A separate logon for EACH account. Second complaint.... the logon process involves 2 pages so saving you're passwords on your computer and doing auto logon will not work. If you do not remember each password you have to look it up. This makes it impossible to use financial management tools as well because they can not import the transactions. Third complaint is the interface page. I have to send money and transfer a lot. I want to just see my account info but noooooo you have to pull up a statement to get the routing and acct numbers. So I left.... even before doing any transactions because like a bad date.... its time to bail.

Good Bank (Need More Chars)

I've been a customer since 2012 and haven't had any problems. Customer service via chat is always super-helpful and fast.

Super Happy

I've been a customer of Axos for over 3 years and haven't had the same experience as the other reviewers. I LOVE using any ATM without worrying about fees, I find the livechat really convenient to get an answer, and their platform is pretty slick with some neat functionalities.. Sometime, I wonder why I didn't switch earlier

More Disappointed By The Day

Things under Bank of Internet (BofI) started out great. Responsive, friendly customer service, nice features, easy to get set up and start using, and great rates. No fees, and ALL ATM fees reimbursed. Really cool. Then it took months for them to get Android Pay (supporting the other 85% of smart phone users - hello!) Then they became Axos and the real decline began. They got rid of PopMoney. They got rid of the financial management tools they had. Today I learned the back breaker. I can't use them with Venmo. I'm now shopping again (Ally, anyone?), and maybe I'll even go back to my good old credit union.

Horrible Horrible Company

They have horrible technology.
They do not care about their customers.
The company has systematic issues that will not be resolved soon.

Axos Bank does not have the resources and employees to run a proper operation. It is a joke of a bank, so stay away and never look back.

Horrible Bank - Dont Keep Even A Penny Here

As other reviewers have mentioned, our business account was closed too with out any notice. Customer service wouldnt let us talk to any supervisor or manager. We are a small business and funds that we needed to run the business was stuck in a check which was sent by snail mail. We were out of funds for a total of 12 days. 7 days for mail and 5 days for the new bank to clear the check. Incurred late fees from credit card companies and our APR went high. This horrible bank wouldnt even wire transfer the funds to the new account. God forbid if you have a fraudulent transaction guess how helpful this bank is going to be.

Axos Bank Is Horrible!!!

I had my checking account at Axos bank for more than 10 years, and was a very satisfied customer. In March 2019, I received an email from them stating that they would close my account in 30 days, without providing any further explanation. I called them, and they refused to explain why they were doing this. I'm sure you think this is the craziest thing you ever heard of, and that's exactly what I thought. You can google this issue, and you will find all the other customers whose account Axos has closed for no reason whatsoever.

I urge you not to open an account with them, because they may close your account for no reason, just like they closed my account.

Do Not Bank Here!!!

They hold mobile deposits for 5 business days no matter the amount!! Yes for even $10.00 but they held MY $200.00 for a whole week!!! You sit on their website usually for a good bit before getting to chat with someone too....it's more trouble trying to call them!!

Wow This 'Bank' Is Bad.

40 minute hold times, then I get hung up on.

Just trying to activate a debit card.

I've now cut up the debit card and will never consider Axos or UFB Direct again.

Bye!

AXOS BANK Review

My account at Nationwide was transferred to AXOS Bank, the experience has been HORRIBLE.
Long hold on customer support calls, misinformation given by representative, no reasonable time response to my questions, lack of follow up. After all the bad experiences I closed may account and filled out the AXOS wire transfer form which had to be faxed, the AXOS fax line was busy for multiple attempts, WOW!
Waiting now to see if I'll receive my funds in a timely fashion.

Don't Use If On East Coast

Axos Bank says they are a nationwide bank, but only open during west coast times. Such a headache waiting 1/2 day for them to open. Can't reach customer service or anything until they get in the office west coast time.

Moving my accounts after significant issues getting them open. Online banking technical glitches galore. They might be good in a few years after they mature into a larger bank able to better service customers.

It's A Nightmare

Based on some third parties’ reviews, I opened deposit accounts with AXOS. The whole experience turned into a nightmare. I don’t believe I am the only one out there. This bank’s problems are multi-faceted and seem deep rooted.

First, they make serious operational errors. Be very careful to double check your interest payment on the deposit accounts. I discovered blatant errors that lasted for years. Account statements went missing for no reason. A mysterious loan appeared under my account despite the fact that I had never opened any loan account with them whatsoever. Interest accrued in one year was account as the interest of another year. A whole bunch of errors entangle together, as a result their own calculations contradict each other, not to mention entirely wrong.

Secondly, Axos’s communication channels do not help you resolved issues. Customer service seems friendly from the surface but nothing gets done. You can keep calling them and sending messages, but don’t expect any real progress. I have tried to correct the blatant error in my accounts for nearly a month. Despite repeated calls and messaging, all I get is “ your request has been forwarded, someone is working on it, you will hear back….”

Once, the deposit department replied and said everything will be fixed in 12 days time. They even laid out detailed plans on how to fix each problem on a given day. However, by the end of the 12th day, nothing happened. I asked them what went wrong. No reply.

Thirdly, their site or phone system constantly experiences technical difficulties, which can be a problem for an internet bank. I don’t know how many times I have seen the error message on their site when I tried to log in, or click some links. It reads “Error. Something unexpected went wrong no our end. Please try again. Thank you.” Today, their phone routing system failed to work, so customers can’t reach the correct department or any person. I have to chat with someone to get an alternate number.

If you have accounts with this bank, please check your statements. If you are researching for online banks, you have been warned.

Closed My Account For No Reason And No Explanation

I received the following form letter from Axos bank, after banking with them for over a year and a half:
Hello. In accordance with your Deposit Account Agreement with Axos Bank™, please be advised that we have elected to close your accounts. All related services will be terminated in 3 business days, and the effective date of the closing will be 10 business days from the date of this email.
We suggest you cease making deposits to, and writing checks against, your account at this time. After all outstanding items have cleared; a check payable to the current account holder(s) in the amount of any remaining balance (less any outstanding fees, service or other charges) will be sent to your mailing address on file. Please make other arrangements for any automated transactions such as direct deposits and prearranged ACH credits and debits.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions concerning this letter. Best Regards, Axos Bank Customer Service.

I emailed them why they closed it and all they said was they had no information to give me. How can this bank get away with closing people’s accounts just like that out of the blue with no warning? They don’t even have the decency to tell the person why or address them by their name!

They just notify you in a form email that they are going to close it. Don’t people have a right to know why their account is being closed?

I had a business bank account with Axos, formerly Bofi Federal Bank www.bofifederalbank.com, for a year and a half, and this is the thanks I get for doing business with their bank. They close my account for no reason.

They have no idea how inconvenient this is. It put my business operations on hold, I have to scramble around to find a new business bank account, and they also say not to make any withdrawals or write any checks on my account, so I can’t even get my own money out of there.
I have to wait for 10 days for them to send me a check of my remaining balance. What if I need that money for something in the meantime?

On top of that, I wrote to the deposit operations about a problem I had with a check that had a stop payment on it, that I believe was stolen out of my account because there was no reason for a stop payment to be put on it, and then they also charged me a chargeback of 10$, and after I ask for help about what to do and getting my money back, instead of getting any help or investigating, they turn around and close my account! I have no idea if that may have been why.

Then it says in their form letter: ‘Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions concerning this letter’. So I ask them why my account is being closed and they can’t tell me!

What kind of bank is this? How do they stay in business? Do not open an account with this bank!

Nationwide/Axos

As a Nationwide Bank CD holder I didn't have any trouble getting my account set up at the time Nationwide was transferred to Axos Bank (referred to as Nationwide Bank as powered by Axos Bank), and I found the account dashboard to be much improved. When my CD matured, I checked Axos Bank rates which are much lower than other banks, so I closed it. What I didn't realize is there are a different set of rates for what is still called Nationwide Bank powered by Axos Bank than there are for Axos Bank, and much better rates at that. Had I known, I would have kept the CD there. And it looks like one can still open a CD under Nationwide/Axos Bank and get the better rates than what Axos Bank offers. Confusing.

Terrible Customer Service

I switched to this bank due to the interest rates being so good. Well you will be screwed out of interest if you count on them doing automatic transfers from one account to another that you set up online. I have been fighting with them to get this corrected and to provide me with the missed interest in savings. So far they have not fixed it and they have not called me back. I spent another 30+ minutes on the phone with them and told them if I don't hear back by close of business tomorrow I will transfer all of my accounts back to Capitol One where had no problems to begin with. This is an ongoing issue and not a one time issue so don't expect an ONLINE bank to have a website that works like it is supposed to. Set up three transfers from one account into 3 other accounts and only one happens on a consistent basis the other two seem to never be done and I have made 2 calls to customer service and on chat session with no HELP what so ever. DO NOT GO WITH THIS BANK!!!!!

Account Closed!

Hello Cynthia,
At this time, the Bank has made the decision to end our Banking relationship.
As indicated in your Deposit Account Agreement that was accepted during the Account Application, "The Bank
This decision is final and we appreciate your interest in Axos Bank. All access to your account(s) has been disabled.
Amanda
Axos Bank Customer Service

I was a customer with BOFI which they took over this fall since 2012 with no issues. I was given no warning or reason and now have to borrow money to live until next payday or they send my money or get a credit card.

Clueless And Lousy

So sorry that I didn't take the opportunity to close out my CD when I had the chance, when Nationwide sold the biz to AXOS. AXOS is completely incompetent. First, they had trouble transferring my accounts from Nationwide, so I couldn't see my accounts for days on end, and regardless of reaching out to them, never actually heard back...just eventually I was able to log in, and see them. But, now, they show that they are truly idiotic: I'll just attach the correspondence, and you can judge for yourself. I made an inquiry about procedure, and got a response that was a complete disconnect from my question:
I wrote: How do I instruct AXOS during my 10 day grace period, to close the CD and move the funds to my Checking account? (I'm a Nationwide customer) Will a phone call do, or do you need a form or something in writing/ If in writing, does it have to be mailed in, or will an email or secure message via this message center suffice?

They answered: Hello Sally, We regret to hear that you are considering closing your account. Before I officially submit the closeout request and in an effort to retain your business, I am hoping you can provide me any of your feedback or concerns regarding our pricing, processes and/or services so I can personally address them. We would love the opportunity to keep your business with our bank! At your earliest convenience if you could reply to this message with some additional information we would be more than happy to further assist you.

I can't wait to leave this moronic bank.

Unimpressed

I opened a checking and savings account online. The online process was pretty straightforward and painless. The bank has gone to great pains to make everything look slick and sophisticated. Their account offerings are also very attractive at the surface. From the get go, there was a hiccup in their account on-boarding process which caused me to be unable to use the mobile deposit feature. An online message to their customer care took three days for a reply. A call to customer service was lukewarm at best. The representative could only tell me that the account opening process hadn't completed, and that she couldn't provide me with more information. She did advise me that she was going to send an email up the chain for the issue to be researched and that I would receive a phone call back when the issue was resolved. The issue did get resolved, but no follow-up phone call was ever received. I submitted an online deposit successfully. The confirmation email I received advised me that a 5 day business hold would be in effect for the deposit, but since the account was less than 30 days old, the deposit would be held for a total of 7 business days. Their motto is, "Banking evolved". In my opinion it's more like "banking devolved".

End Relationship

At this time, the Bank has made the decision to end our banking relationship.

This decision is final. All account access is disabled.

Axos Bank™ Customer Service

I dont know what kind of information this bank is getting about their prospective customers. but when they accidently open an account for somebody they sure send a jacked up letter to you. out of the blue. I opened an account online and recieved a debit card and everything then out of the blue got the aforementioned letter. I told them i wouldnt bank with them with their own money. the right hand obviously doesnt know what the left hands doing, and i wouldnt want them in charge of anything of mine