Brightstar Credit Union Reviews

Banking with credit union

I've used Bright Star Credit Union for my banking needs for quite some time. I originally signed up because it was the closest institution to me. I had just turned 18 and it was my first banking experience. The sign up process was easy and the employees seem friendly and genuinely interested in helping. They offered a free checking account and I received a free debit card. I've never had any problems with my account or unexpected fees like some other places. The one time I overdraft my account, I replaced the money the next day and was not charged a fee. The only negative to me wasn't even with the bank itself it was with its app. It wouldn't work on my phone so I always had to call to check my balances.

Highly Recommended

Bright Star Credit Union is a a great local credit union here in Florida. They have a lot of different choices for checking accounts. I really like their Advantage Checking. Their fees are reasonable and the Advantage Checking has automatic transfers in case I accidentally overdraft (I haven't needed that so far, but it's nice). The nice thing is that it's a free checking account. Their online services work well. I really like the online statements because I hate mail. The people at my branch know me when I come in each month. That's one of the nice things about them. They keep their employees.

Stay Away From This Credit Union

Do no open a checking account with Bright Star Credit Union. They take $34 for overdrawn fees before the payment even posts, that is, when it is just pending.

That is their strategy to collect fees to laden their pockets, before you can even put funds into the account to cover the amount that will be posted the following day.

CD Renewal..

i have a CD with them and as been at 1.25 rate,
when the renewal time came the renewed it automatically at .25 and when i called the CSR told me that it was at that rate , which was not true, as i have proof,but just like told her she wins this time and when renewal time comes they will a good customer ,, i will take my business somewhere else , long run its their loss ,

Horrible Bank And Customer Service, Do Not Trust With Your Money

I wanted to open business account as they advertised. Came to Hollywood branch, rep seemed uninterested. Said that they do not specialized in business accounts. Why advertise??? We left, next day went to branch manager Carlos he made application and said he needs someones approval and said he called next day. Of course nobody had decency to call. We call customer service centralized system waited 30 min on the phone and rep on phone said that we were not approved without any explanation. We never and and i mean never had bounced checks or inf funds in history. Unbelievable. Manager could have had some decency and work ethics to call Disgusting do not work with this kind of bank Your many are safer someplace else.

Fantastic experience banking with Bright Star CU!

I have been banking with Bright Star Credit union for over 8 years. It is a nice change from the large commercial 'big name' banks. They offer a more than sufficient variety of banking products, account types, loan products with great rates and a number of investment options. Customer service has always been top notch. Branch management always courteous and helpful in resolving any issues, assisting with banking needs and offering suggestions of products that may be beneficial to the client. Branch hours and drive-through options are convenient. There are only a few branches, but with the mobile banking, on-line access and partner ATMs - this is not an issue.

I Feel Robbed!

Don’t do it!! Brightstar Credit Union is the worst credit union I have ever worked with, horrible customer service, horrible management and horrible policies. Whenever you make a phone call be prepared to wait at least 20-45 mins before anyone bothers to pick up the phone. The first of many unpleasant moment with Brightstar was when they put a lock on my debit/credit card twice for no reason at all, I hadn’t went out of the state or made multiple purchases. When I called, waited 45 mins for someone to pick up the phone, no one was able to tell me why they put a fraud lock on my account and on top of that I had to wait 24 hrs before they removed it! Inconvenient does not even begin to explain it!

I recently overdrafted on my account, bad I know but things happen anyway money I was expecting to come into the account was two days late. They charged me $102.00 for borrowing $25.60 that is 400% interest!! How is that legal? I have a total of 4 other accounts, 2 with another credit union and 2 with a traditional bank and they do not have this ridiculous policy. When I called to have the fees reversed I was passed around from person to person for over 4 days and the final answer was “We can’t help you.” What a crock of bull! I inquired back in June on how to protect myself from overdraft fees and was told “There is nothing you can do.” I asked if I could put money in my savings account that they could pull from in case of emergencies and I was told no. Now I get, they don’t want to help you, they would rather charge you 400% interest and pocket the money. I feel completely robbed! Please if you are thinking about banking with Brightstar Credit Union DON’T!!!

BS Credit Union

Why all of you may want to reconsider BS Credit Union: A check deposit was made into a BS checking account. That check was from an account that had been used for deposits for a least once a month ever since the BS account was opened and was usually posted to the account within 3 or 4 days. This time BS decided to put a seven business day hold on the check. Why? What was so different this time from any other time? The check was under $5k and there had been other check that were higher than this one from that account. But here's the thing that raises eyebrows. Right before the deposit was made, 2 or 3 overdrafts were made at a cost of $35 each. With the money that was added automatically with the deposit there was enough to cover the fees and have a few dollar in the account to cover some automatic bill pays and living expenses until the deposit should of been post. That didn't happen! Now I have $.07 in my account and an -$10 monthly auto bill pay waiting to be posted to my account. Which if its posted before the deposit is posted would cost another bank fee and if it hadn't noticed the time delay in the posting of the deposit, might of cost more bank fees if more had been charged to the BS account. Might be assuming things here, but all things considered (holding a commonly made deposit longer than normal and keeping a customer's account balance near $0.00) doesn't this whole thing smell a little fishy? And can all of you understand my anger with BS Credit Union.