Chartway Federal Credit Union Reviews

It's A Fine Outstanding Credit Union

Nothing particularly special about this Credit Union I've been a member of Navy Federal longer, (30 years) and use them as a primary banking however, Chartway fills a void in that there are local branches in my area and I've used them for the last 18 years. In comparison to Navy Federal Credit Union Chartway products are just not as good as Navy federal. I'm more biased towards Navy Federal but Chartway does fill a physical brick-and-mortar void that I don't have with Navy Federal here in the Houston area.
Chartway Federal Credit Union has a military banking like feel to it the people I've dealt with in there are fairly competent pretty knowledgeable very helpful and friendly I have really no complaints about customer service in the physical branches here. I understand Chartway opened up from being a military-style credit union out of Norfolk Virginia so in many ways they are similar to Navy Federal but they just don't tally up to Navy Federal in terms of size, membership and assets. Also Chartway Federal Credit Union has had some dealings with charging hidden fees that Navy Federal does not do such as having a certain amount in your checking account or ATM withdrawals or just other fees that Navy Federal doesn't charge. Also to join their checking account you have to pay $15 whereas Navy Federal was only $5 so you have to keep Chartway honest at times. When it comes to home mortgages Navy Federal is hard to beat they have no PMI mortgage insurance loans, military Choice loans, VA loans, first time buyers, conventional loans many more options just far superior than that of Chartway. I've never used Chartway for loans I've always used Navy Federal for loans. I have also noticed that Chartway does not have as many as Co-op ATMs as out of Navy Federal though adequate enough. But Ican go to CVS and use Navy Federal machines in the Houston area where as Chartway relies more on using other credit unions or their branches I do have a checking and savings account with Chartway that I intend to keep and used for other purposes but my direct deposits, car loans and everything else my primary is Navy Federal. I have to respect Chartway in the fact that they have expanded to other states from Norfolk Virginia military roots in that they expanded into other fields of membership such as Airline employees, vicinity employees, kind of easier to join them. So I respect Chartway in that they have been survivors in a world where other huge credit unions like Navy Federal that is dominating in terms of size and membership, assets. Overall Chartway is a fine outstanding credit union, has gotten better, in the local Houston area. Much better than using banks.

Positive with Chartway

My interactions with Chartway Credit Union have been very positive. When my parents relocated, they opened an account at the credit union. They had to have some money wired when they were buying a new house. The manager personally phoned their other bank in another state to make arrangements for the funds transfer and made sure that it was expedited swiftly and smoothly. When I changed phones and had to reload the mobile banking app I emailed them through their site and they immediately sent me an ID to use to log in and validate my phone to connect to my mobile banking. I've been doing direct payroll deposit with them for years, and my direct deposits generally show up in my available balance at least one day prior to the date on the pay stub.

Experience with Chartway Federal Credit Union

Several years ago, I used to bank with Chartway Federal Credit Union. Since I've switched banks, I've noticed that there isn't much difference between this bank and the commercial bank I'm with now. The fees were reasonable, as along as you didn't overdraft, I suppose. Every time, I would overdraft my checking account, there was a $30.00 fee. I remember one of the few times I did. I bought a $1.00 soda, which eventually cost me an extra 50.00. That's right. I overdraft by a dollar, and the bank charged me an overdraft fee of $30.00. As I stated, the fees are reasonable, if you watch your checking or savings account closely. Another ridiculous fee I remember was regarding debit transactions. For some reason, this bank charged $0.75 each time you completed a debit transaction. I didn't understand that. The commercial bank I'm with now doesn't do that nonsense. There is one relatively positive side with Chartway though. There wasn't a minimum balance fee, though. You could have $1.00 in there for a month, and there was no low balance fee. I liked that. The commercial Bank I'm with now charges a minimum balance fee, or low balance fee. Despite that, my experience with the commercial Bank is much better than with Chartway. ATMS are much easier to find with the commerical bank than Chartway. Just my 2 cents.

Family Oriented Banking

I have a savings and checking account with Chartway Federal Credit Union. The first thing I noticed when walking in for the first time is other customers talking to the bankers like family. They talked about kids, activities, and other while tying their needs for the reason you walk in the bank in the first place. When I inquired about opening a savings account, they set it up with ease. I like how transparent they are with the terms. Every other bank I went to seemed to pressure me into opening many type of accounts that I did not need. I only needed $5 to open a savings account, but I also decided to open up a checking account as well. The lady that helped me asked me what my financial situation was and broke down the best way to get a mortgage loan when I asked her, all before I officially signed up. She was very patient with my "dumb" questions and even gave me her personal cell for after hour calls. Chartway is the best banking experience I've had.

The online experience could use a little work however, but they have improved from when I first opened my account in 2013. The interface is a bit clunky, especially the member services section once you log in, but overall, it gets the job done.

Banking with Chartway Federal Credit Union

A few years ago, I use to bank with Chartway Federal Credit Union. I was with them, I think for about 5 years. To me, this bank wasn't any different than a commercial bank. The service was average. I did have a few instances where the teller, or banker could've been nicer. For example, I think I asked the teller about a strange charge on my checking account. She seemed disinterested, and simply gave me a "I don't know." Although it was an honest answer coming from her, she could've done better. Perhaps, investigated the charge, directed me towards someone who had more information, and what not. She should've went above and beyond. It sets excellent customer service apart from bad customer service. Again, the customer service was not bad, just average.

The fees were not bad, just average. They would charge you $0.75, if you used a pin to make purchases with your debit card. The bank I'm with now doesn't do that--it's a large commercial bank by the way. Be careful with getting an overdraft protection on your checking account. They charged high fees for each transaction, that caused an overdraft. I was charged over 500.00 in overdraft fees. On the other hand, the checking account fees were decent. I had a student checking account, and there was no monthly maintenance fee. There were no minimum requirements set for this account either. bad, just average. That debit card charge was ridiculous, and the overdraft fees were out of this world.

Their online banking was excellent. They have a Google App that can be downloaded to your cell phone. It was very convenient for me. I could check my account anytime I needed.

1 Week Lost Of Interst

Purchase there 1.77 11 month interest on dec 22 2015, but the date of cd did not start untill dec 30

Out Of Country Coins CHECK THEM!!

Just as a heads up if you go to get coins every week for laundry or other reasons please be mindful to check all of your rolls of coins while you are there because recently we have revied Canadian coin that are obviously not usable here. Just to save you a ride to the curency exchange becaus it can be a hassle. Other than that we have not really had a problem with chartway.

Chartway Review

Posted by: Tayl0r | Mar 13, 2015

Chartway is a federal credit union that I came across some time ago. I opened a Certificates of Deposits with this institution. I was drawn to them because of their rate of return. The rate that they were offering was 2.50% which, was way higher than any other Certificates of Deposits that I had seen. I was also quite impressed with that fact that I could transfer my funds from another bank without incurring fees. I continue to use Chartway specifically for their Certificates of Deposits as I have found them to have better rates and are more reliable than others. I can not comment too much on customer service because I have only had to email them on one occasion. I will say that they were prompt in responding to my inquiry and I called them initially to open the account. They were very courteous and answered all the questions that I had. I have since recommended the Chartway Federal Credit Union to others.

Small but Able

Posted by: JLMJNP | Jan 28, 2015

I opened up a checking and savings account at Chartway Federal Credit Union due to my military connections. Chartway was recommended to me by a colleague after I had a bad experience with my bank at the time.

The quality of customer service at Chartway was at a much higher level than the "big banks" I have used in the past. From the moment I opened my checking account I was impressed by the patience of the teller, their knowledge of the credit union and ability to answer my various questions, and their genuine excitement to have a new member.

Membership to Chartway just requires opening a Prime Share savings account with $5. I was pleased that I could then open my checking account with just a $15 deposit. I started my membership with Chartway with only $20, instead of the $50 required by my previous bank. I opened a "Best Value" checking account because Chartway does not require the member to maintain a minimum balance, and because of the free online banking and free online bill pay. I do all of my banking online and with my previous bank I was being charged a service fee for internet banking.

I would not recommend Chartway for people who are uncomfortable with online/electronic banking. The are much fewer locations than other banks, the hours of operation are much shorter, and some accounts actually have a limit to how many teller transactions you can make. If you are tech-savvy and too busy to hit the bank, like myself, Chartway is a great option.

Nothing special, but adequate

Posted by: Subi999 | Dec 23, 2014

My experience with this bank has been fine. When I relocated for a new job, I opened an account with them in my new city. I had used a very small local bank before and chose Chartway on my company's recommendation. They don't have particularly special services, but they feel kind of hometownish and the customer service has been very good. I have to travel abroad occasionally and get robbed with transaction fees (about 3.00-5.00 per transaction), but it hasn't been annoying enough to try and switch banks. The only features of this bank I've used are checking and savings . For my checking there's only a minimum balance requirement if you want to accrue interest on it, and otherwise there's a $100 minimum balance for the savings account. All in all, pretty reasonable and normal. Their online banking system is okay, though I've had a few issues being locked out of my account seemingly for no reason. Customer service was usually able to resolve it fairly quickly.

BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND POORLY TRAINED AND UNEDUCATED EMPLOYEES

I had been a customer for more than 5 years and had a 5 yr finally paid car loan. For this past months I have encountered many changes, poor customer service. Just closed a personal loan after dealing with poorly trained and uneducated employee, And even spoke to the manager who is also inconsiderate and tolerate employees' mistakes. If I didn't ask for an apology she don't even apologized to me. (THAT SHOWS HER UNPROFESSIONAL MANNER)
ANYONE CAN ALSO READ PAST REVIEWS AND YOU'LL BE SURPRISED WITH THEIR HORRIBLE PAST EXPERIENCES.

Chartway Federal is a legit bank, nice service

Posted by: RobY | Dec 14, 2014

Chartway Federal Credit Union has been a great experience for me, thus far, with just a few hiccups. I primarily use the bank on Holland Rd in Virginia Beach, VA. for my checking needs, and have found the process to be very simple. In particular, I found ATM use to be easy if you have a card with the bank, however if you dont - say you have a Paypal business card for example, you will be subject to some hefty fees since it is out of the bank's network. Because it is a credit union, there are also specific guidelines for gaining membership that tend to make customer service feel more like a "family" feel rather than feeling like a sheep among other sheep at larger, more reputable banks. That praise is for the branch itself - if there were any qualms, I would say that it would come in the form of telephone customer service, which in the few times I have had to use it, took a bit longer than I would have liked. Still, overall, it is worth my time and money to stay at Chartway Federal and I intend to bank there for much longer into the future.

They No Longer Have Branches In Florida!

Posted by: trb | Nov 20, 2014

Their website is outdated and you must live in VA Beach.

ATM Issue

Posted by: yeah | Nov 10, 2014

One Sunday morning during the summer I went to the ATM machine to make a five hundred dollar withdrawal. I planned on using the money for something later on in the week.I put my ATM card in the machine entered my pass code and the amount of the withdrawal which was five hundred dollars. The ATM machine registered a five hundred dollar withdrawal but only dispensed eighty dollars to me.Luckily I did not need the funds that day since the daily limit for withdrawals is five hundred dollars.and would be unable to withdraw any additional funds. Since it was Sunday their was no one available in customer service to explain the situation to. Monday morning I went to the Chartway branch on General Booth Blvd. in Virginia Beach. I explained to the teller that I made a withdrawal from the ATM machine Sunday at the Farm Fresh supermarket for five hundred dollars and only received eighty dollars. She had me fill out a form to dispute the transaction. My account was immediately credited the difference of four hundred twenty dollars pending the investigation of the transaction. It took a couple of weeks to resolve the matter. Eventually I received a letter in the mail stating that the ATM machine did not dispense my total withdrawal and the four hundred twenty dollars was now credited back to me.

Awful Business!

Don't do business with these people. My boyfriend served 6 years in the Navy and just got out this May. He finally landed himself a job last week and finally started getting back on his feet after a lot of financial issues. While he was overseas from March to late April, he had someone as his power of attorney to pay his bills while he was unable to. He gave Chartway the paperwork concerning that before he went out to sea, and the person he had appointed as his power of attorney did not pay his bills as she was supposed to. The bank repossessed his car last night with NO warning, but insisted they tried contacting him, which was a blatant lie. He now has no car to get to work with, and they want $2200 from him to get his car back and $873 for the cost of the tow. He explained about the power of attorney not paying his bills and that they should have that paperwork, and they denied ever having any record of the paperwork, which is another lie. They also did not care to work with him despite him just being able to find a job. The woman he dealt with was very rude and coarse with him and gave him a very hard time. Meanwhile he deals with mild PTSD and is just trying to get his life on track. This bank doesn't care about veterans, they care about money. DO NOT BANK WITH THESE MONSTERS.

Not The Bank To Go To For Refinancing!

Posted by: spglvskatz | Jun 6, 2013

I have been a customer for over 10 years! This past year have encountered many changes poor Customer service and new fees! Just closed on a refinance after dealing with poorly trained and Uneducated employees over the last 6 months! It has been a nightmare and one that I would NOT recommend to anyone!

Horrible Experience With This Bank!

Posted by: franksmom | Nov 27, 2012

My son has a car loan thru Chartway and he has some trouble with the payments ( long story) and his car was repo'ed . After contacting Chartway customer service and doing a online chat i wanted to find out what was due so i could get the car back from repossession. I didnt want the pay-off amount i wanted to know what was due currently to get the loan up to date and what fees were included. I had to contact Chartway for 2 DAYS to get the correct answer. I  spoke to the ladies in collections who were rude, over talked you on the phone, interrupted  you and  I was hung up on. After that unprofessional and inexcuseable behavior from these " ladies" i contacted the manager- "Al" . He called me back and was rude and unprofessional and argumentative with me on the phone. I did get the amt I requested after 2 days of going back and forth with the people in the collections dept. They are rude and unprofessional people that work for this company and i would like to think that not all of them are like this. I did get my son's car back but i am not sure if i will do business with them again after the way i was treated and talked to.

Small But Not Too Small...

I have been with Chartway for a couple years and they have been very helpful.   Getting support can be a challenge on their busy days, but they respond well via email and chat.

I have become a supporter of the Thrive Movement and decided to take my funds out of the mega banks that have caused so many of the worlds economic issues.   Chartway is small, but they service the customer and that's what is important.   When banks get too big they become greedy and thats not good for anyone.

I am slowly moving the majority of my assets into Chartway, and funding local growth.

Newly Discovered Hidden Fees

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 11, 2012

I was always very happy with being a Chartway Member, I've had many personal and auto loans through Chartway. However, now with all these "new" fees, I am seriously considering switching. I found out today that you are only allowed 6 transactions per month on line before you are charged a $6 fee, also if you go to a branch and use a teller to make any transactions/withdrawals more than 6 times per month again, the $6 fee is charged. I do not understand why Chartway has now decided to charge members for ridiculous fees. I'm most upset that when you use ebranch there is a maximum transaction before the fee is assessed. I often transfer money from checking into savings, if we're not using a "teller/live" person how is it fair to be charged? Also, when and where were these fees posted? This new upgrade doesn't seem member friendly.

Very unhappy customer.

Chartway Federal Credit Union Customer Service

Posted by: CiscoBBJ | Apr 4, 2012

Twenty plus year member.  Have had very bad luck / circumstances with this Credit Union.  Very hard to get a human on the phone, and when you do, takes an enormous amount of time to resolve issue.   Recently, took 16 days to restore e account access.  Then billpay went haywire.  I had to go into main office, situation still not resolved to my satisfaction.   I am leaving Chartway once I get twenty plus years worth of autopays and direct deposits shifted to another Credit Union.

Great Credit Union. Needs More Locations.

Posted by: ttaya001 | Apr 23, 2011

I have been with Chartway Federal Credit Union since I was in high school. I have nothing but good things to say about them because I have had no problems with them. Since they are a relatively not well known bank nationwide I feel that I get more attention from them. Their customer service is top of the line and they solve any problems or questions I have promptly. If I had to say one negative thing about them it would be that they don't have a lot of branches outside the Hampton Roads area. I recently moved to Richmond, VA for graduate school and there is no Chartway branch in this area so whenever I need money from an ATM I always get charged .75 cents. I know it is not much, but I would of liked to go to a specific Chartway ATM and pull out money. Other than that bump in the road, I will probably stick with Chartway for many more years to come.

I Live In Rhode Island And Have Recently Opened Several Cds With Chartway At Very Good Rates

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 23, 2010

I live in Rhode Island and have recently opened several CDs with Chartway at very good rates.  They do require a checking account in order to receive a .25% "bonus" rate.  You are NOT required, however, to actually order checks.  I am extremely happy with the service I have received from the institution and highly recommend Chartway.

The financial institution, product, and APY (Annual Percentage Yield) data displayed on this website is gathered from various sources and may not reflect all of the offers available in your region. Although we strive to provide the most accurate data possible, we cannot guarantee its accuracy. The content displayed is for general information purposes only; always verify account details and availability with the financial institution before opening an account. Contact feedback@depositaccounts.com to report inaccurate info or to request offers be included in this website. We are not affiliated with the financial institutions included in this website.