Chartway Federal Credit Union Reviews

Chartway Federal Credit Union Customer Service

Posted by: CiscoBBJ | Apr 4, 2012

Twenty plus year member.  Have had very bad luck / circumstances with this Credit Union.  Very hard to get a human on the phone, and when you do, takes an enormous amount of time to resolve issue.   Recently, took 16 days to restore e account access.  Then billpay went haywire.  I had to go into main office, situation still not resolved to my satisfaction.   I am leaving Chartway once I get twenty plus years worth of autopays and direct deposits shifted to another Credit Union.

Awful Business!

Don't do business with these people. My boyfriend served 6 years in the Navy and just got out this May. He finally landed himself a job last week and finally started getting back on his feet after a lot of financial issues. While he was overseas from March to late April, he had someone as his power of attorney to pay his bills while he was unable to. He gave Chartway the paperwork concerning that before he went out to sea, and the person he had appointed as his power of attorney did not pay his bills as she was supposed to. The bank repossessed his car last night with NO warning, but insisted they tried contacting him, which was a blatant lie. He now has no car to get to work with, and they want $2200 from him to get his car back and $873 for the cost of the tow. He explained about the power of attorney not paying his bills and that they should have that paperwork, and they denied ever having any record of the paperwork, which is another lie. They also did not care to work with him despite him just being able to find a job. The woman he dealt with was very rude and coarse with him and gave him a very hard time. Meanwhile he deals with mild PTSD and is just trying to get his life on track. This bank doesn't care about veterans, they care about money. DO NOT BANK WITH THESE MONSTERS.

Not The Bank To Go To For Refinancing!

Posted by: spglvskatz | Jun 6, 2013

I have been a customer for over 10 years! This past year have encountered many changes poor Customer service and new fees! Just closed on a refinance after dealing with poorly trained and Uneducated employees over the last 6 months! It has been a nightmare and one that I would NOT recommend to anyone!

Small but Able

Posted by: JLMJNP | Jan 28, 2015

I opened up a checking and savings account at Chartway Federal Credit Union due to my military connections. Chartway was recommended to me by a colleague after I had a bad experience with my bank at the time.

The quality of customer service at Chartway was at a much higher level than the "big banks" I have used in the past. From the moment I opened my checking account I was impressed by the patience of the teller, their knowledge of the credit union and ability to answer my various questions, and their genuine excitement to have a new member.

Membership to Chartway just requires opening a Prime Share savings account with $5. I was pleased that I could then open my checking account with just a $15 deposit. I started my membership with Chartway with only $20, instead of the $50 required by my previous bank. I opened a "Best Value" checking account because Chartway does not require the member to maintain a minimum balance, and because of the free online banking and free online bill pay. I do all of my banking online and with my previous bank I was being charged a service fee for internet banking.

I would not recommend Chartway for people who are uncomfortable with online/electronic banking. The are much fewer locations than other banks, the hours of operation are much shorter, and some accounts actually have a limit to how many teller transactions you can make. If you are tech-savvy and too busy to hit the bank, like myself, Chartway is a great option.

Horrible Experience With This Bank!

Posted by: franksmom | Nov 27, 2012

My son has a car loan thru Chartway and he has some trouble with the payments ( long story) and his car was repo'ed . After contacting Chartway customer service and doing a online chat i wanted to find out what was due so i could get the car back from repossession. I didnt want the pay-off amount i wanted to know what was due currently to get the loan up to date and what fees were included. I had to contact Chartway for 2 DAYS to get the correct answer. I  spoke to the ladies in collections who were rude, over talked you on the phone, interrupted  you and  I was hung up on. After that unprofessional and inexcuseable behavior from these " ladies" i contacted the manager- "Al" . He called me back and was rude and unprofessional and argumentative with me on the phone. I did get the amt I requested after 2 days of going back and forth with the people in the collections dept. They are rude and unprofessional people that work for this company and i would like to think that not all of them are like this. I did get my son's car back but i am not sure if i will do business with them again after the way i was treated and talked to.

BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND POORLY TRAINED AND UNEDUCATED EMPLOYEES

I had been a customer for more than 5 years and had a 5 yr finally paid car loan. For this past months I have encountered many changes, poor customer service. Just closed a personal loan after dealing with poorly trained and uneducated employee, And even spoke to the manager who is also inconsiderate and tolerate employees' mistakes. If I didn't ask for an apology she don't even apologized to me. (THAT SHOWS HER UNPROFESSIONAL MANNER)
ANYONE CAN ALSO READ PAST REVIEWS AND YOU'LL BE SURPRISED WITH THEIR HORRIBLE PAST EXPERIENCES.

Newly Discovered Hidden Fees

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 11, 2012

I was always very happy with being a Chartway Member, I've had many personal and auto loans through Chartway. However, now with all these "new" fees, I am seriously considering switching. I found out today that you are only allowed 6 transactions per month on line before you are charged a $6 fee, also if you go to a branch and use a teller to make any transactions/withdrawals more than 6 times per month again, the $6 fee is charged. I do not understand why Chartway has now decided to charge members for ridiculous fees. I'm most upset that when you use ebranch there is a maximum transaction before the fee is assessed. I often transfer money from checking into savings, if we're not using a "teller/live" person how is it fair to be charged? Also, when and where were these fees posted? This new upgrade doesn't seem member friendly.

Very unhappy customer.

Chartway Review

Posted by: Tayl0r | Mar 13, 2015

Chartway is a federal credit union that I came across some time ago. I opened a Certificates of Deposits with this institution. I was drawn to them because of their rate of return. The rate that they were offering was 2.50% which, was way higher than any other Certificates of Deposits that I had seen. I was also quite impressed with that fact that I could transfer my funds from another bank without incurring fees. I continue to use Chartway specifically for their Certificates of Deposits as I have found them to have better rates and are more reliable than others. I can not comment too much on customer service because I have only had to email them on one occasion. I will say that they were prompt in responding to my inquiry and I called them initially to open the account. They were very courteous and answered all the questions that I had. I have since recommended the Chartway Federal Credit Union to others.

They No Longer Have Branches In Florida!

Posted by: trb | Nov 20, 2014

Their website is outdated and you must live in VA Beach.

ATM Issue

Posted by: yeah | Nov 10, 2014

One Sunday morning during the summer I went to the ATM machine to make a five hundred dollar withdrawal. I planned on using the money for something later on in the week.I put my ATM card in the machine entered my pass code and the amount of the withdrawal which was five hundred dollars. The ATM machine registered a five hundred dollar withdrawal but only dispensed eighty dollars to me.Luckily I did not need the funds that day since the daily limit for withdrawals is five hundred dollars.and would be unable to withdraw any additional funds. Since it was Sunday their was no one available in customer service to explain the situation to. Monday morning I went to the Chartway branch on General Booth Blvd. in Virginia Beach. I explained to the teller that I made a withdrawal from the ATM machine Sunday at the Farm Fresh supermarket for five hundred dollars and only received eighty dollars. She had me fill out a form to dispute the transaction. My account was immediately credited the difference of four hundred twenty dollars pending the investigation of the transaction. It took a couple of weeks to resolve the matter. Eventually I received a letter in the mail stating that the ATM machine did not dispense my total withdrawal and the four hundred twenty dollars was now credited back to me.

Great Credit Union. Needs More Locations.

Posted by: ttaya001 | Apr 23, 2011

I have been with Chartway Federal Credit Union since I was in high school. I have nothing but good things to say about them because I have had no problems with them. Since they are a relatively not well known bank nationwide I feel that I get more attention from them. Their customer service is top of the line and they solve any problems or questions I have promptly. If I had to say one negative thing about them it would be that they don't have a lot of branches outside the Hampton Roads area. I recently moved to Richmond, VA for graduate school and there is no Chartway branch in this area so whenever I need money from an ATM I always get charged .75 cents. I know it is not much, but I would of liked to go to a specific Chartway ATM and pull out money. Other than that bump in the road, I will probably stick with Chartway for many more years to come.

Nothing special, but adequate

Posted by: Subi999 | Dec 23, 2014

My experience with this bank has been fine. When I relocated for a new job, I opened an account with them in my new city. I had used a very small local bank before and chose Chartway on my company's recommendation. They don't have particularly special services, but they feel kind of hometownish and the customer service has been very good. I have to travel abroad occasionally and get robbed with transaction fees (about 3.00-5.00 per transaction), but it hasn't been annoying enough to try and switch banks. The only features of this bank I've used are checking and savings . For my checking there's only a minimum balance requirement if you want to accrue interest on it, and otherwise there's a $100 minimum balance for the savings account. All in all, pretty reasonable and normal. Their online banking system is okay, though I've had a few issues being locked out of my account seemingly for no reason. Customer service was usually able to resolve it fairly quickly.

I Live In Rhode Island And Have Recently Opened Several Cds With Chartway At Very Good Rates

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 23, 2010

I live in Rhode Island and have recently opened several CDs with Chartway at very good rates.  They do require a checking account in order to receive a .25% "bonus" rate.  You are NOT required, however, to actually order checks.  I am extremely happy with the service I have received from the institution and highly recommend Chartway.

Small But Not Too Small...

I have been with Chartway for a couple years and they have been very helpful.   Getting support can be a challenge on their busy days, but they respond well via email and chat.

I have become a supporter of the Thrive Movement and decided to take my funds out of the mega banks that have caused so many of the worlds economic issues.   Chartway is small, but they service the customer and that's what is important.   When banks get too big they become greedy and thats not good for anyone.

I am slowly moving the majority of my assets into Chartway, and funding local growth.