Citibank Reviews

Review Of Banking With Citi By A Happy Customer

Posted by: LizLasko | Apr 13, 2016

I would say I have had a wonderful experience using CITI Bank. I especially enjoy the mobile app I have downloaded on my Android device. I can access up to seven years of statements and this was helpful when i was purchasing a home because the mortgage company requested several years of banking history. Also another big thing I've seen many banks offering is the mobile check deposit. I have sued this feature and I found that the app works great but I had issues while taking pictures of the front and back of my check. I kept getting errors and had to take many pictures before they were accepted by the app. I know on the commercials it looks so easy, and it should be easy, the app is set up quite easy, I feel this was just my camera and having bad lighting. The mobile check deposit didn't work or go as smoothly and quickly as I though it would. I do love their website as well as the mobile app as I feels it's user friendly and easy to maneuver and find anything i'm looking for on their website. I am lucky enough to have a credit card with them as well, so what's great about that is when i'm on my app I can click a button that says pay my credit card and it allows me to make my payment, without having to leave the screen or go to a new app or website. I have also set up notification one time when I paid my plumber a check I set up a notification for when he cashed it. I also set up a notification when my income tax was getting deposited. It's nice to be able to set up these updates especially when waiting for a check to clear. I have set up direct deposit and a auto pay to avoid the $12 monthly service fee. I do think the fee is higher than most banks but it's nice that I had the option to set up direct deposit and auto pay to avoid the fee. Another nice service they offer for customer like me with credit cards is I can ask them to reissue a credit card, or even activate a new credit card right through the mobile app on my phone. I love that they offer so many great things I can do with my phone. I feel this is the way of the future technology is everything, and Citi is definitely keeping up with the future of technology and all that they offer. I have recommended them to my friends and family more than once because I just love all the features I get right on my phone. I also like I was able to go paperless with my monthly statement so i don't have to worry if it got lost in the mail. Now I get an email every month, and there is a link in the email I click on that takes me right to my statement. I have email on my phone, so I did have to download an adobe reader app to my phone I found this out the hard way as the first time i tried to do it I couldn't get the statement to open. I love that I can access all this information right from my phone, and that I am helping save the environment because they're not cutting down trees to send me a monthly statement. They do offer many different types of checking accounts I just have the most basics but there are so many options especially if you're someone that keeps a higher balance, unfortunately I am not. The interest rate is pretty low only 0.01% so I'm not making much in interest but again I keep a pretty low balance, and they do have options for people that keep higher balances. All and all I would say my experience with their banking and their credit cards have been quite nice.

CitiBank - All On Web!

Posted by: Raegan | Feb 8, 2016

I have a savings bank account with Citi for the past 4 years. It is linked to my salary account, my insurance is auto debited from the salary account and I get a great rate. From my perspective, it has the most convenient online platform, all in one place. We never have to rely on interacting with the bank representatives on a daily or even monthly basis. The online and mobile platform is clear, unambiguous, informative and good enough to carry out 95% of the day to day transactions. I have not felt a great deal of transparency in the life insurance plans that Citi offers along with its salary accounts, I haven't been able to see the total premiums paid, the accumulated interest and stuff, but when I raised the concern, the bank staff's were polite enough to send out the detailed statements, month-wise. The interest rate offered on the savings bank account is quite good considering the fact that the savings bank account has rolling money in it. Overall, I am a pretty satisfied customer for the past 4 years!

Fairly reliable bank that I can trust

I have been with Citi for over a year now and I can say that it has gone fairly well. I have two other banks one is bank of america and the other is navy federal which is a credit union and not a bank. I have been with bank of american for about 2 years and compared to Citi, Citi is much better. I will start with the mobile app that Citi has. I never have any glitches when I use the citi mobile app, I always like that when I log into the citi app it tells me the last time I was on with the date and time stamp. I enjoy that it directs me to all my accounts without taking too long to load or having a glitch. When I pay my citi credit card bill the credit is almost instantly given back to me. The only one complaint that I would have is of course the customer service waits can be a bit long, however when I am greeted it is by a warm and friendly person. Another complaint I have is when I get gas on my credit card it can take up to two weeks for the final payment which I am not sure if that is the banks fault or the gas stations. The citi website is easy to navigate to and I even like how it has a nice layout. The fees are not bad at all compared to bank of america and I also have a credit card that I do not have any interest till 2017 and I have a larger credit limit. All in all I have enjoyed citi and I plan on keeping them. I also like the debit card and even when I lost it customer service helped me to replace it and it arrived less than a week later.

Fair Weather Bank

Posted by: josephz | Mar 29, 2011

Citibank should be boycotted because of their high interest rates, absurd fees and and complete lack of regard for their clients. They will ruin the credit of customers in EXCELLENT standing, by making decisions that they refuse to justify. I am totally fed up with this poor excuse for a bank and the incompetent management who took billions in bailout money, and paid huge bonuses to the executive buffoons, when they should have been left to crumble. And now they continue to turn their backs on clients. Thats what the goverment should have done to them, and hold senior management criminally responsible.

Cannot Wait To Close My Account

Posted by: moonfox8 | Nov 7, 2012

I have had a horrible time trying to make payments onto the account I have.

First off, we purchased my engagement ring at Fred Meyer Jewelers. Who are awesome and amazing! Unfortately Citi Bank screwed the pooch with Fred Meyer and they are no longer using Citi Bank.

This is where my issue started... I tried and tried to make payments on my account by the deadline and their electronic check hotline would always say that they accepted the payment and three or four days later it would be returned. I would then call and speak with a representative who would give me the run around for about 45 mins till I was blue in the face. Finally I would get a manager who would be able to assist me and not have to speak off a script and yet not all my questions would be answered.

I have tried 4 more times between calling and than be redirected back into their electronic check hotline to by a representative because I said I did not want to be charged the $14.95 fee for having a representative assist me with payment. I was only talking to them because their hotline kept giving me an error of" Sorry could not process that requested, Please hold one moment for a representative..." and I would then again I would be speaking with a representative who couldn't take a payment without charging me the $14.95 fee for payment. Yet their system wouldn't accept payment.

After playing this game for about 5 rounds... I got a representative who directed me to their website to make an online payment. At this time, I am thinking.. "Awesome! I can pay off my $1100 remaining balance!" Unfortately it would not allow me access to make an online payment but then direct me to speak with a representative again.

How in the world is a card holder suppose to make a payment if the customer service/billing will  not accept payment without adding another fee onto the account.

I have found thier games to be ridiculous! Frustrating and right now mad hatter style.

STAY AWAKE! FAR FAR AWAY! GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVEN IF THEY HAVE HIGHER INTEREST RATES!

I bet you would get better customer service and assistance with any of your banking needs!

Worst Bank Ever

Posted by: hollywould | May 7, 2015

Deserves a no star rating. They changed their policy's on April 17th, how does ZERO funds availability even on a payroll check. Unbelievable. If paid on Friday, not available (and only $200) until Tuesday morning. This policy is also effective on business accounts that have been open for even 2 years. They also shut down major branches, decreased hours and closed many on Saturdays. I'd rather have no bank than this bank. Screw this bank. They just lost a customer and 4 accounts.

STAY AWAY FROM CITIBANK THANK YOU POINT PROMOTIONS!!!

Posted by: JET_TRACER | Nov 9, 2011

AVOID CITI PROMOTIONS AT ALL COSTS!

I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED I'M READY TO GO POSTAL ON THEIR MARKETING DEPARTMENT!   I JUST FOUND OUT THAT AFTER GOING THROUGH THE HEADACHE OF APPLYING FOR CHECKING ACCOUNT (WHICH WAS A NIGHTMARE PROCEDURE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ONLINE), AND DOING EVERYTHING THE THANK YOU POINT PROMOTION REQUIRED, THERE IS "FINE PRINT" WHICH WAS NOT EVEN PRINTED!!!!!   E.G. YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT 90 DAYS AFTER MEETING ALL THEIR REQUIREMENTS!!!!

I'M PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!!!!!!

TO MAKE THINGS WORSE, I JUST GOT A LETTER IN THE MAIL THAT THE BANK HAS "MADE SOME CHANGES" WHICH WILL MEAN I'LL HAVE TO DISH OUT $20/MONTH UNLESS I MAGICALLY COME UP WITH $15,000 COMBINED DEPOSIT.

OK, NO PROBLEM, LET'S CALL AND SEE IF THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT PRODUCT THAT WILL NOT REQUIRE THIS MIN. DEPOSIT.... YES, THEY DO. OK, LET'S SWITCH.  WAIT... IF YOU SWITCH, YOU'LL LOSE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET THOSE THANK YOU POINTS, EVEN THOUGH I JUMPED THROUGH ALL THE HOOPS THEY SET UP!!!!

Horrible Web Design Of Citibank Business Site

Posted by: Kfm | Jan 29, 2013

I have personal accounts with Citibank. I like their website okay. Some features are helpful, like the expense categorizer tool. And I often use the e-bill payment option, which I assume is standard with all banks. I also like that I can nickname my accounts so I don't have to remember which account is which.

Now, I just opened a Citi business account and after going through all the extra security measures to sign on with a token at www.citibusinessonline.com, I was taken aback at how crappy the look and feel of the Citi business user interface is. It looks like a grade school project. There is hyperlinked text for everything, no graphical buttons. It takes about 4 clicks just to get to see your account's transactions. 4 clicks!! On the personal Citibank site, you sign in and you get presented with an overview of all your accounts right from the get go. But the business online experience is a totally different animal. It looks like it was done in the 90s and then never updated again (It still uses frames, which are no longer supported in HTML5).

I called the Citibank Business department and very politely let them know that I feel I've been suckered into using Citibank for my business needs because they sell you on the regular Citibank website that has all the bells and whistles. I spoke to a supervisor and he spoke to a level 2 guy, but at the end it was just "thank you for letting us know."

The sad part is that I get charged $20/m for the business account (my personal accounts are free). For what? For a lousy, half-assed online experience? Citibank pays its CEO millions of dollars but it can't even allocate the funds to get a web development/design team together that replicates or improves upon the personal Citibank website? I am very disappointed in Citibank. What we need is a company like Google to start a brick-and-mortar bank and shake things up in the online bank user experience field.

Grace Period

Posted by: MikeT2014 | Aug 22, 2014

Why is it that if your paycheck is being direct deposited, and it shows up as pending. It is going through literally in minutes, but they put through the pending payments first and then peg you with a nsf fee?

Not Impressed

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 25, 2010

I had a Citi banking account for 4 years from the time I was 18 till I was 22. The online system and bill pay were easy to use and navigate, unfortunately my overdraft fees were 43 dollars each time, ridiculous. I am not rich or perfect with accounting and tend to overdraft my account a few times a year (my fault totally), but then on top of that they decided that my direct deposits and online bill pay were no longer accepted to have free checking. Instead, I had to have a minimum of $6000 monthly balance to receive free checking. I am sorry, I am not rich, I make 6000 every 2-3 months. I do what I can a month then they want to take another $7.50 from me because I don't have a lot of money. It was not good enough for them to have a Citi financial loan and a credit card through them, paying interest and fees, but they wanted to take my other money to live on.

Horrible Bank!!!

Posted by: love_senia | Mar 1, 2012

I will start by saying, i would give zero stars if i could. This is the worst bank with the worst customer service, down at the bottom of the list along with BOA. Dont even think about joining Citi unless you want to here that there is nothing they can do at the moment. I have beenput up with Citibank for 6 years and I am done. Chase bank is now 1 person greater. I posted a recent conversation i had with a rep so see for yourself. They dont even know the answer so they feed you crap.

Moises: Welcome to Citibank's Online Chat. My name is Moises. It is an honor to assist you today!

YEZENIA: Thank you, I am online to view my bank statements from Feb 2011 to October 2011 and i requested them yesterday. It then stated they would be available the next day and they are not. Can you help me?

Moises: I am sorry to hear that. I will be happy to assist you.

Moises: Did you go to the account section?

YEZENIA: Account section then statements

Moises: Correct.

YEZENIA: Yes, and they are not available.

Moises: Does it have a Message saying why>

Moises: ?

YEZENIA: No it simply shows the statements that are available which i already downloaded however the ones that i need are now telling me, once again, that they will be available the following day, tomorrow

Moises: I am sorry about that, you can request form them again, I can also do it for you however we will have to wait for them either way. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

YEZENIA: Okay, well I need them today which is why was happy that it said yesterday that they would be available the next day. What other way am i able to request them because if the message stated when I would receive them then your company must follow the information given to me.

Moises: I am sorry if they are more than 90 days old there is a 24 waiting period on either end.

YEZENIA: Okay and does your message state that? No. The message stated that following: ordered for next business day. With that said they should be accessible at this point.

Moises: It is possible that the system had a glitch and the statements were lost. I apologize about this inconvenience. They would have to be reordered.

YEZENIA: If i did not need them i wouldn't mind wwaiting another day, but when I am told something by a company then I expect it to be done as said. A glitch is not my problem, that fault is on citi. I need my statements as i said when i was told they would be available which is today.

Moises: I am sorry about that. I can request that they be mailed out to you as soon as possible. I can waive the shipping fee.

YEZENIA: Do you realize that mailing something takes a longer process? There must be a way for them to be emailed or faxed over even if it is not your protocol to do so. There was an error on your company's end and i should be provided with my request by your company in any way possible if your ccompany cares.

Moises: What time did you order the statements?

Moises: If the order was placed after 8 ET it will take longer since it was past the cut off time.

YEZENIA: I am not sure of the exact time, after 5:30 PM PST, so most likely around 6PM.

Moises: 8PM

Moises: That is 830 PM ET

Moises: The statements will be available for you to view by tomorrow.

YEZENIA: Okay, now where on your page does it state that?

Moises: When you place the action it is stated on the fine print at the bottom of the conformation window.

YEZENIA: NO, there is no fineprint except terms and conditions, I read fine print if it is available and its not. I actually just requested it again just to make sure so the statement you just made to me is false.

Moises: I am sorry about that. I know changes have been made to the site. I have looked up the cut off time in our systems and the cut off time is 8PM ET.

Moises: When you send a request some ones has to go and physically pull the files up. They leave at 7pm CT 8pm ET.

Moises: If the order was placed after that time they will not get the request until the next day Thursday, making it available on Friday.

YEZENIA: and that is my problem that changes have been made? It did not say it yesterday either so like i said before that is your company's fault. There is a very basic statement given which i already told you about and i simply want what is rightfully mine. My request was made and a response was given so I expect it to be completed as i was told.

YEZENIA: Im sure there are plenty of supervisors working with you, or at least someone with enough common sence to know how to pull up files and send them to me.

Moises: We can not pull them up.

Moises: Not even a supervisor.

Moises: The statements will be available to view tomorrow.

YEZENIA: So what is the point of your supervisors? To litterally watch their employees of citi bank tell their customers tat there is nothing else you can do? I have heard that plenty of times from your company. I want my files that i was told would be available today.

Moises: Some one has to pull them out of the archives. That takes 24 hours. Today the order was processed and will be fulfilled by displaying them by tomorrow.

Moises: The order was placed after the cut off time.

Moises: It is out of our hands.

Moises: It was just processed today and will be delivered by tomorrow.

Moises: They will be available by 6 am ET.

Moises: That would be 3 am your time.

YEZENIA: You just stated earlier: Moises: The statement will be available tomorrow. If you requested it again just now it will not be available until Monday. Saturday and Sunday are Non Working Business days. and you knowing i just requested it again are telling me tomorrow? I feel that you have no knowledge of what you are even saying.

Moises: The original request is still going to be fulfilled. They will be delivered tomorrow. The statements requested only have a 1 day life span after that they are deleted. The second request will be fulfilled by Monday if you do not check them by tomorrow.

YEZENIA: Whatever, I am not going to keep trying to get them from you, apparently they hire the best people full of crap to tell their customers, just like the phone reps do when i have called about issues with my account. Thanks for wasting my time and have fun getting paid to tell everyone that you cant assist them.

Moises: I am sorry you feel that way. They will be there tomorrow. Can I help you with anything else?

YEZENIA: Yes, let your supervisor know that this chat will be posted on your reviews so everyone thinking about joining citibank will think again.

Citi's Offers And Promos Are Confusing.

Posted by: Critic | Aug 29, 2011

I've heard of many "scary" stories of Citi offers and promos gone wrong. Occasionally, I've been victimized by these myself too much more than other banks. I'm closing my Citibank.

For example, last night I only wanted to add my new Citi Platinum Select Mastercard on CitiCards.com, then I ended up losing 2 favorite login or user id because Citibank confused and lured me to link my CitiCards account to my Citibank checking account - rendering my old credit cards access - non-functional.

Beware of Citibank's confusing offers and promos. You may end-up like me who spent about 2 hours fixing the mess and losing 2 favorite CitiCards logins just because I want to add my new Mastercard to my existing web access.

CD Early Withdrawal Penalty Is Huge, Upto 1 Year Of Earnings

Posted by: mohan2008 | Nov 14, 2013

CD Early withdrawal penalty is huge, upto 1 year of earnings, even though CD rates are high maybe 2% APY.

Transfer From Another Credit Card

To put my feelings into the vernacular, this bank SUCKS.  I have now notified my representative (who is ourSpeaker of the House) the attorney general of the state of OH, and am working on various banking associations.  What CITI is doing is simply illegal.  This came to my attention about 6 months ago when CITI bgan a relentless calling campaign to me.  The deal was that Icould transfer any amount of money from another credit card or simply call it an INTEREST FREE LOAN for 13months.  I pay in full each month and have an excellent credit rating and history but I am not stupid either.  13 months of using money free was not a bad deal and up front costs were minimal-maybe $300 for a $10K transfer.  Again--no interest.  however, when I received my next month's statement (which I pay in full to avoid any interest,)I see a $50 interest charge.  I called (Bangladesh or India) and said--"WHOA- I paid for all of my charges in full, on time, and added $1000 in order to begin the elimination of the free $10K."  I was told the interest charge was an error.  next month, same thing. and then the third time,  I went thru channels and got a CITI BANKER who explained CITI takes your payments and applies it to the outstanding (interest free) amount FIRST, and then with the remainder charges interest, so this 3rd time, my interest was $3. since then I have stopped using my CITICARD totally..The point is:  THEY CHARGE INTEREST TWICE:  FIRST ON THE AMOUNT THEY SO ENCOURAGE YOU TO TRANSFER, then THEY CHARGED A SERVICE FEE FOR DOING SO, and THEN THEY CHARGE INTEREST AGAIN ON THE UNPAID PRINCIPAL WHICH would mean a monthly payment EVEN IF you don't charge anything.  AND TO THINK I DID THIS TO GET 10,000 MILES ON AMERICAN.  ok, I am stupid.  But this is illegal

Hands Down Worst Bank Ever. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 24, 2012

This is by far the WORST BANK that I have ever encountered. I had a mortgage with them, but could not pay it online unless I had a bank account. So I signed up for a savings and checking account. Then I get a notice that I will be charged a $20 monthly service fee, if I don't transfer $15,000 into my account. So I called to cancel my accounts. The Citibank rep told me that if I cancelled my checking and left the savings open I would not be charged. Not so. I was charged $40 in service fees. When I called to try and remedy the situation, I was stonewalled. When I asked for a manager, I was transferred to the call center for Chinese speaking customers. I was finally told that it did not matter that a Citibank rep lied to me. They will not credit my account back the money. The reason why, "because." WOW. I had records of the calls and everything they just don't care. They just wanted their $40. I am sure it was a very important $40. I would worry about their stability as a bank if that is the case. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Terrible Customer Service

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 29, 2011

I've talked to 5 representatives before talking to somebody helpful. I just spent an hour setting up online registration, something that should take 5 minutes. I had one representative tell me I would need the last four digits (ext.) of my zip code to register, nobody even knows that information. I had another representative give me a phone number to a machine that told me everything I already knew and that would not quickly connect me to a different representative (I didn't try very long due to frustration).

Atm Machines No Banks?

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 24, 2011

There are no banks in Washington. You have to use convenient stores with ATM machines. Not what I wanted to use, and of course you don't know about the extra fees until it happens to you.

Citibank Not Even Worth 1 Star!?

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 22, 2011

I am a former college student and single father. I graduated college over 3 years ago and have yet to aquire a job in my field. On the contrary, I do have a great job not in my field, but I could easily make more with my degree. However, jobs in my area are scarce.

I have made most of my student loan payments on time and my account is current. I owe $47,000 in student loans but I only make $30,000 a year. I have been on the phone with Citibank to discuss repayment options but they are very rude and refuse to work with me or meet me in person to discuss my loans.

I owe tens of thousands of dollars for my education and they will not even meet with me. When I call, almost all of the time the customer service reps are rude and very condescending. I do not have any other accounts with Citibank, but the way they have handled my student loans I will never ever use them for any kind of other financial services.

Citibank only cares about making money and could care less about their customers :(