Columbia Bank (NJ) Reviews

Worst Bank Ever

Posted by: TracyD | Jun 22, 2017

Not only do large checks take ridiculously long to clear, but I was told yesterday in the Fair Lawn branch that you had to call ahead to cash a check over $3,000 because they "have to order the money and it takes at least a week." Thankfully this is not my bank but my father's. Head over to chase where you can cash a $15,000 check without them needing to "order the money." I have been dealing with them for 2 years after becoming POA over my father and there is a problem every single time I go there. If I could give them zero stars and still post I would.

Please Read

I have been banking at columbia for over 20 years because my parents made the account when i was a kid.
Now that i am older, i realize how bad of a decision that was.
1) Their technology (website, atms etc) would have competed with other banks maybe 10 years ago.
2) Their interest rates are below that of online banks
3) They have some of the worst customer service I have ever recieved

Here is a recent example:

I tried closing my bank account and they told me I had to physically go to the bank to do so. Not living in the area, I withdrew my funds online leaving the account open with zero balance. I recieve a letter stating that they denied the transfer (for no apparent reason) and have charged me $35 for the attempt.

I spoke with customer serive, then a branch worker who told me he would take down my info and have a branch manager call me back. Still, I have not recieved a call.

Not once did anyone apologize or recognize that I am a valued customer who has had an open account for over two decades.

No convenience, lower interest rates and poor customer service really make their no reason to keep your money here.

Worst Bank EVER

I cannot say enough about this bank , besides take you business elsewhere . This is the worst bank that I have ever dealt with . Even at the Corporate level customer service is lacking . I pulled my accounts with the exception of a home equity that I am , unfortunately tied to

Ok, But Not Great

It's an OK bank. I used to have Chase, but when I moved I switched to a local bank that has free checking (Columbia Bank) so free checking with no minimum balance is great, but if you use debit instead of credit, they charge you $. 20 per transaction. Also if you deposit a check at the bank or thru ATM, no money is available for immediate withdrawal at all and it takes 1-3 business days for it to clear regardless of check type. Most other banks would make at least $100 available immediately and the check would clear next day, but not with Columbia. Also making a transaction dispute is extremely difficult and any reimbursements usually take days. Other banks, one call dispute done, money reimbursed immediately as I watch online. If you lose your debit card, there's no instant new one, go to wait 5-10 days for mail. Also there's no leeway for errors. If you go into negative balance and then deposit cash thru ATM you still get overdraft fees. So the cons heavily outway the pros. Sorry Columbia, you gotta step it up several notches.

Not A Good Start

Posted by: Gemirgo | Jul 23, 2013

If I could give this place less than a one star rating I would.  I had just moved into the area and there is a Columbia Bank on the corner of my street, so I thought - how convenient - I'll open a checking account here.  Big mistake.  It has been almost three weeks since I opened my account, and I still do not have an ATM card or checks to access my money, due to the fact that the person who opened my account neglected to place the order for the ATM card & checks.  And when I asked about it, all I got was an oh well, too bad kind of attitude.  No one apologized or asked if they could do anything to help.

Not a great way to treat a new customer.  Stay away from this bank.

Not A Good Bank If You Travel Outside Of The US

Posted by: glutamine | Jul 28, 2012

The debit/check card is very inconvenient.  We have to call frequently to verify transactions so that holds are released from our account.

Most recently, I called to clear our account for travel outside the US and even though I gave them our account number, they cleared only my card number for travel and not my husband's which we discovered when we were refused a purchase and had to borrow a friend's cell phone to make the international call to the bank.  (The rep gave the excuse that I had mentioned only MY travel and not my husband's which was not the case, showing the bank's complete lack of taking any responsibility).

We made 2 purchases since that time and now they've turned off access to our card again including online banking and the customer service center is of course closed so here we are in England for the Olympics and have absolutely no access to our money.

We'll be changing banks when we return home.

Morlot Avenue Branch

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 23, 2012

This is an excellent local bank with good personal service that unfortunately varies widely from branch to branch. The branch on River Road in Fair Lawn is the best, with personable and intelligent staff. I have found that the branch on 208 is less accommodating, and I will never ever go to the Morlot Avenue branch again. Repeated rudeness on their part, and insisting that I come into the (empty) lobby to process transactions that are perfectly acceptable at the drive through successfully drove me away.

Great Service!

This is not a huge bank yet a good size. They treat you like you live in a small town and I have even had them call me personally when my balance ran low & a check came in. Great bank!