Desert Financial Credit Union Reviews

Caught in the act

In a matter of a two month time span My debit card was shut down twice for possible fraud charges. Though this was frustrating to have to deal with, the credit union was very helpful. When I was originally notified that there were possible fraudulent activity on my card I ignored it thinking it was scammers. Because I did not immediately contact the bank as requested they locked down my card for further use, which I found out as I was trying to make a purchase and my card was declined. The store I was in happened to have a banking location in it so I stopped in to take care of the issue. As I was dealing with the teller, she pulled up my account info and while we were waiting for my new card to generate she noticed the type of account I had and informed us that she could switch our checking account over to another type of account that would lower the fees associated with the current account. Though I was irritated to have my debit card info stolen, the thieves were not able to purchase anything using my card and I ended up with an account that had lower fees associated with it.

Great Bank

This credit union feels like a small town institution. When we go to the bank it's never been a bad experience, all the staff from managers to clerks are very friendly and knowledgeable. We have used this credit union for checking and savings. The services provided are professional and useful, and our rates in savings are very favorable. The checking account has a service charge, but not too bad. The online services are user friendly and easy to use. We are able to do a great deal of banking online which is very useful to us. There are some times that we can do the majority of our banking from home. We have been very pleased with the services provided and will certainly continue to use their services for the foreseeable future.

Awful Service

I've tried to work with this bank, but they seem to be dead set on charging fees for everything. My main bank is BofA and I'm moving everything there today. I work at Maricopa CC and I've heard similar stories from fellow faculty who refuse to bank with them. For one, I took out a low interest auto loan. I typically pay double what is due so to pay it off early. Today they phoned and said I was 14 days late and needed to come in to pay a $28 fee. WHAT!? I went in and explained I pay double so what gives---a snarky young girl said I must be 3 months ahead in payments only or face fees or be turned into a credit agency. Since Jan 2015 I'd paid about $1500 when I owed about half that. Wow. I'm done with them as they are Fee Monsters!
In other states CU were nicer and worked with customers. I should have listened to my co-workers and avoided it. In the next few weeks I will remove all accounts and be done with them.

Avoid at all costs

When the market crashed we approached them regarding a short sale, they were impossible to work with and the specific person in charge was a nightmare. We tried to do the right thing during a difficult time and are still paying the price for having done business with them. They don't care about the customer and since that time I continued to try to work with them, 7 years later they have the same approach land lack of customer service. I look forward to not having to do business with them again. There are far better alternatives, IE: PenFed for one.

Desert Schools makes my day!

Every time I start to research something I need, I find out Desert Schools probably offers the service.

I've been able to consult with Will and Trust attorneys, Retirement planning advisers, car and home insurance agents, all in addition to my regular banker. And all for free.

Always helpful and knowledgeable, without nickle and dime-ing me in fees!

Desert Schools is Great!

I have banked with Desert Schools for about 17 years--I joined just after I became a teacher because, at the time anyway, it was only open to educators. Now, though, DSFCU is open to anyone I gather.

I have found that the credit union has been consistently excellent in service both in person and over the phone. Their website is easy to use, secure, and constantly available (that is, rarely down).

The one negative I would say is that their mobile app is a little hinky--when I try to deposit a check via my phone it doesn't always work. I think that is because their app doesn't allow me to take a picture of a larger than normal check. Thus, I have to go to the physical bank which I do not like to do. Other than that, I would highly recommend DSFCU to anyone needing a credit union!

Awful, Just Plain Awful

Wish I had never started a bank account there, I have found each subsequent bank and credit union better. They are dishonest with their fees and how they administer them. I was very poorly treated and disappointed by their policies. I have never written a single bad review in my life, but I felt like my relationship with desert schools warranted such a review.

Desert Schools, the best ever

Desert Schools is a great Credit Union to work with. I have banked with them for around 10 years and have never had an issue with them. If ever I have a question, they are quick to want to help so I'm left feeling confident in them. It is the kind of place where they remember your name and seem sincerely interested in helping you with all of your banking needs. Lately, I have used their online check cashing and have been happy with this new service. They have a great online app and website that makes banking easy day or night from home or while I'm out. I'd highly recommend Desert Schools to anyone looking for a bank that is reliable and customer friendly.

Good overall customer service

Desert Schools is well known for experienced services and a friendly smile. All the basics are here for a good customer experience. Thanks for going the extra mile.

Super Nice and Helped Me Out!

About 2 years ago, I called Desert Schools Credit Union to apply for a car loan. I had just "OK" credit and wasn't sure I would get approved for any car. A friend of mine told me that Desert Schools is the best. I had thought that you needed to be a student or already have a bank account with them to be accepted, but I was advised that is not the case. So, I got their phone number from the website and gave them a call. The lady who helped me was extremely nice and made me feel important. The process was painless (even though I was scared I would be declined a loan). She gathered my information and was just as excited for me as I was for myself. I could tell that she really enjoyed helping people get loans. I told her that I was hoping to get this awesome Mercedes Benz that I found from a private seller and wanted to see if I could get a loan before I wasted the owners time even test driving. The car was about 3 years old at the time with only 23,000 miles on it, but again I was worried that my credit score would make me ineligible for a loan. She put me on hold to see if I could get approved. I was biting my nails in anticipation, but the wait wasn't very long. She came back on the phone and cheerfully told me that I was approved and to go test drive it! I could not believe it! She gave me a number to get back to her and secure the loan. I would also need to open a bank account with them so I could get a further discount on my loan rate and have the bill automatically withdrawn from this account. While I did not end up purchasing that car and using Desert Schools, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to call them again when I buy my next car. Heck, maybe I will call them on Monday and see if they'll refinance my car! If anything, they gave me the confidence I needed to walk into a dealership and get a great deal.

Trying To Get A New Account There And Was Told No

Every time I go in there for some thing they tell me they have to check my credit even is I open a new account want their today to open a business account and was told they could not do it so I'm taking my business to chase been there going on 6 years and can't get anything but a old checking account there trying to get a loan from them if you don't have great credit you will be told no that place the bigger it gets the worse they are and are slower and lazy people working there I would not go into open an account unless you have great credit I'm done with that shity cu worse service in town so I'm pissed and done with dsfcu there worthless to me it time to move on can't get a loans and account there give them for a business a -100 if I could all I'm saying that the longer your there the less you can get so go to some were else for banking and financial services not dscu

Bill Pay - Double Payments Sent In Error

I scheduled a reoccurring payment through the bill pay system. It was the same amount every week for just about a year, then all of a sudden the payments were doubled up, causing a domino effect of NSF fees. I called the bank multiple times, and emailed as well. They kept asking if I disputed the charge. I guess calling and emailing about it over and over doesn't justify a dispute, although when I asked if there was a "special" form I needed to fill out they didn't respond. Long story short, the bank owed me $350.00 and third time I called and talked to 3 different supervisors over a 2 hour period resulted in them only refunding a total of $154.00. They insist it was not a bank error.

Poor Customer Service

Worst customer servioce I've ever experienced.

Don't ever dispute a merchange charge, they will side with the merchant every time costing you time and money.

Stay away from this credit union, terrible to do business with.

Terrible Bank

Joined them back in 2002. Loved them at the time. Flash forward 10 years, and they are no different then a Wells Fargo. No longer care for the customer.