First Citizens Bank (NC) Reviews

Saving with a bank I trust

I have been banking with First Citizens since college. My mother used to visit the bank daily for work. When I opened my checking account, she introduced me personally to two bankers by name. The first banker eventually talked me into opening a savings account. It seemed odd at the time - I was more than broke. But once I graduated from high school and started my first real job, I piled as much money as I could into that savings account. Eventually, the other banker noticed I had three times the minimum in my account. He called me because he knew I wasn't getting the best interest rate on that money. I explained that I was getting ready to pay off a big debt in one chunk, but that I would keep his ideas in mind. Once that debt was paid, I took his advice seriously. Again I piled money into my savings account. And in my second year of my "real job," I walked into his office and asked him to help me set up a CD.

Not good

I have been using First Citizens for at least 15 years, and is the only bank I've had any savings/checking accounts with. Regularly I decide to change banks, but then end up not, because I just don't feel like the hassle of going through with it. Plus I do prefer using a local company and their branch is convenient. I have a savings account and money market account with First Citizens. The interest rates they give you are a complete joke, we spend way more in random fees. For example last year my checking account dropped below a certain amount (by 2-3 dollars), and they charged me $10 (more than how much I was below the threshold). I think all year I've made maybe $0.45 in interest. I have other accounts with them with more money, that would have me over the threshold. Awhile back I had to make a wire transfer to a family member - that banked there too, and they charged $25 for it. $25 to "Transfer" money from one person at their bank to another. Overall I have not been pleased with First Citizens.

Very Up Set

I have been with first citizens bank fot almost 10 to 12 years everything seemed ok I had my teenage son open a bank account their since his little after school grocery store job did direct deposit.
We were not having any issues everything went ok . Untill my now 18 year old son is gping into the air force now rember he already has an account at first citizens bank he never been over drawn .
The teller tells us she never seen this type of paper work and calls for a manger she looks at me says she does not know what it is or how to fill it out turns her back on me walks away. I should have left that day never returned this is government paper work for direct deposit and a manger never seen it She Just did not want to be bothered with it. I went back to the air force they laughed said First citizens is know for nor wanting military they gave me a name of bank that was wounderful filled out all paper work faxes it back to me . Like I said I should have left that day .
Everything resume to normal no issues no problems untill they decide to install a new banking app that was 7 fays ago I still can not acess my acount with the app or phone banking . I went into the branch on Monday was treated with less than nice behavior. Today I called bank the lady was nice helpful ,but I can still not acess my accounts online or with phone banking .
I am in customer service I would be fired for picking up the phone and not saying anything just hanging it up that happened 2 third time I get its message due to long hold times you waite will be three hundred and 86 mins really .
I am unsure what first citizens bank is going to do they have lost.my bussiness not to mention over the last month the drive threw lady been rude telling me I can only make one transaction when I have 2 accounts with them and want cash back .
Again I am in customer service I get glowing reviews this not how you treat a customer over YOUR MISTAKE .
I have made arrangements to move to anouther bank . I have been sick very sick this week also had a very sick animal I do not need crapp from my bank when I have so much else going on in my life .to mess with a person money or their acess to it .my husband said I never understood why you banked their to start with .
Donna Dovico Wilson , N.C

Sandrahyder

I live in SC and I have been a customer of the SC First Citizen's for years. With the SC First Citizen's I received amazing customer service, I was made to feel like as a customer I mattered. Recently the SC First Citizen's merged with the NC First Citizens. Since the merger I have been charged fees for NSF checks when the money was in the available balance, reason being NC First Citizen's policy is to charge fees if the money is not posted and the electronic deposits are not posted for at least 24 hours. So when I asked for these fees to be reversed, I was advised by the branch and customer service that this is not their job. They no longer do "those little customer service things". Fees are charged when using the ATM for mini statements without disclosure the fees will be charged. Messages on the website go over 28 days without a response. My bank which I loved and recommended to everyone has turned into a nightmare and I would not recommend to anyone, I have received horrible customer service and fees for no apparent reason. Stay away from this bank

Will Not Deal With Them Again

Opened an account with them online yesterday, got everything setup for use today after they sent me their approval e-mails and then I was prevented from accessing my online account.

I called them and they said they were closing my account because of something found with Chexsystems. I just got my Chexsystem report last week and there is nothing negative in it so it has to be because of the inquiries made by other banks/ credit unions I've opened this year. My credit is excellent with all the major credit reporting agencies.

Since they also ran a hard credit pull to sign up with them, that will further count against me somewhere down the line. Not worth it. Will never deal with these clowns again.

Changing Bank Fee

3 months ago I opened a basic checking and was told that it was free checking if I had direct deposit. This was true until I reduced my direct deposit amount with them and all of a sudden I started getting hit with an 8 dollar a month service fee. There are too many banks out there that offer free checking without a direct deposit. I figured I would give this bank a try since they brag about customer service and the person to person experience but I quickly found out that you have to have the makings of a rockerfella or a Hefner to get that treatment. Calling for information about your account to their national office in Raleigh NC can cost you after your first call. Try 5 bucks a call. I've switch to a credit union and it is truly free checking with no hidden fees for statements and or information inquired about my account. If you want a good ole' boy bank then this old school bank is for you.

Lowered Interest Rate Prior To Guaranteed Term

First Citizens Bank

I opened a money market account in June with a guaranteed rate of 1% for the first 6 months. I noticed in the 4th month’s statement that the interest was not what it should be and the rate was noted as .2 %. I called the bank representative that opened the account for me and was told that he would get it fixed. After several phone calls, a half dozen emails and 5 weeks, it is still not corrected. The representative says he need to get an "area executive’s" approval (who seems to be always on vacation or in meetings) and the email response I get is to call the local branch. No one is taking responsibility to fix this problem. At this point they owe me a lot of interest. I have just opened an online account and will transfer the funds.

Disappearing Money Sudden Negative Balance

What happened today in North Carolina with my account balance?

Sudden loss to a large negative number and unable to withdraw money just put into the account last week.