First Foundation Bank Reviews

Don't Waste Your Time With This Bank

I was rejected for the online application for no reason and called customer service several times. They informed that the online department would look into it and to try again. After being rejected a second time, I then went into a branch and was told another department deals with the online accounts. They couldn't even open an account for me in person.

Please don't make the same mistake I did and waste your time with this bank. There are many better banks that provide a competitive rate for way less hassle to open an account.

Friendly & Helpful Customer Service

I opened a savings account here for the 2.00% instead of the 0.05% offered by my previous bank. I called customer service to have them walk me through opening the account and the person I spoke to was really nice and helpful. I had a particularly positive experience this week and wanted to share. Excited to actually earn something on my savings.

Community Bank Service

Posted by: DebBanks | Nov 29, 2019

The people that work at First Foundation are wonderful. A breath of fresh air compared to citi. I saw a promotion for their savings account and couldn't pass up the rate. I had a lot of question so I called the 1-800 number. I was quickly transferd to an "actual" banker and he walked me through the process and answered all my questions. I'm all signed up and funded my account with the mobile deposit feature. I look forward to earning a decent rate on my savings.

Happy With This Bank

My husband and I opened a joint account after a friend recommended First Foundation Bank. We opened both the high yield savings and a checking account. So far so good. I really like the bankers at the branch in my area and it’s really convenient that I can use any ATM since they reimburse the fees. I like that they don’t nickel and dime us with fees and the interest rates are way higher than we were earning at Wells Fargo.

STOP - Read This Before Opening A First Foundation Bank Account

Posted by: OMGFFB | Nov 22, 2019

I wish I had read a review like this before opening an online savings account with FFB.

Yes, they do have excellent interest rates; but this comes at a cost. I have spent hours on the phone with FFB and it's important to know that:

1.) You CANNOT transfer more that $5,000 via an ACH transfer per day OR more that $10,000 total per month. Yes you read that correctly. This includes withdrawing your money AND EVEN DEPOSITING into your FFB account!

To get a rate this good you're probably transferring a sizable amount. Ask yourself if you're ok with this hassle and only being able to take $10k out per month of your own money.

2.) You CANNOT deposit a check into your new account via the FFB mobile app (because your account is new.)

3.) Three out of the four FFB reps I spoke with (all friendly) did not even know their own policy. I had to literally read the error message from my FFB app to the rep before she believed me that ACH transfers INTO my new FFB account were limited.

4.) FFB already places a 10 business day hold on your deposits, so there isn't any logical reason why they would limit the amount you can DEPOSIT into their bank (via check and especially ACH).

5.) Once I spoke with a knowledgable rep, she acknowledged the limitations and stated my only option other than driving to one of their few branches was to MAIL A CHECK to their El Segundo, CA branch. Hey 1985.

I did just this (from Southern California) but after a week, still no deposit. I highly doubt the post office lost the letter during that short trip from San Diego to Los Angeles, especially after interacting with enough FFB employees to question their basic capability/capacity or their knowledge of basic bank processes.

I know that sounds harsh, but it took 4 minutes just to get the rep my name and account number so she could look me up, and the second rep (after an escalation up the chain) didn't do anything for a full minute after asking my first name. After waiting in silence I mentioned I knew my account number, but his cell phone rang at that point and he put me on hold to answer.

5.) 2.00% is a great rate in this current market. Not sure if it's great enough for this hassle though unless you only deal directly with a local branch.

Can't Verify My Identity?? - First Time Ever

Posted by: tohellina | Nov 20, 2019

Just tried to open an account for their 2.4% savings, provided my Social Security #, my driver's license number, all pertinent info.

Received "Could Not Verify Identity; Will Send Email" message. Email has not yet been received.

To be clear, I'm a US Citizen and have NEVER had a problem opening a bank account before (credit reports aren't frozen, double-checked all digits). Citibank, Chase, BofA, and Goldman Sachs have all managed to open accounts for me with identical information.

So hard to find a good bank these days.

Good Experience So Far

Posted by: ShaneG9 | Nov 10, 2019

I opened a savings account after seeing it on deposit accounts last month. The process was pretty painless. Followed the steps, got approved and got my confirmation email with my account number. I had my money at Ally before so I just linked my First Foundation Account to my Ally online banking and ACH'd the money into my new account. Some people have complained about the $5k transfer limit through First Foundation, but I had no issues because I sent the money via Ally like other reviewers suggested. I called a couple of times and always got through to a banker. So far so good, I'm also going to open a checking account in branch so I can transfer money faster. Plus I like the ATM reimbursement and this bank seems to have minimal fees compared to larger banks.

Incompetence, Glitch Or Mistake?

Posted by: mavant | Nov 10, 2019

I tried opening a savings account and was turned down due to First Foundation's inability to verify my identity or address. I sent in picture ID (driver's license), which they verified that they have on file when I submitted my application. I called into the bank and offered passport, SSN, birth certificate, multiple utility bills along with offer to do this in person at a branch. The customer service rep couldn't explain why they couldn't verify my address or identity and suggested that I simply re-apply. Too much of a hassle just to open a savings account. Luckily, I saw the PSECU CD promos in time and parked my funds there.

This Bank Misses The Point Of Being A Bank

this bank doesn't support ACH transfers in higher amounts. So lets say you want to transfer $150k, it'll take you MONTHS to transfer. I have been at several other online banks which supported high ACH levels with no problem. they have no good reason as to this practice. now my account will be in process of closing for over another month. the idea of being a bank, is to take large amounts of money, this is silly!

Easy Account Opening And Great App

Posted by: TomKaz64 | Oct 15, 2019

Applied on their website for an online savings account and was approved in a few minutes after answering the onboarding questions. Similar to other accounts I have done in the past I did the trial deposits and got linked up in a couple of days with my transfer in. No issues so far and already seeing interest earned. I downloaded their mobile app and was pleasantly surprised at the interface with the mobile deposit, facial recognition sign-in, and account transfer features. They will also provide an ATM card upon request with fee reimbursement for non-FFB ATMs which is great. I can go to any of the big banks around the corner to take out cash free of charge.

Bank With Great Service And ATM Connivence

My husband and I have been banking at First Foundation for the last 3 years and have had a great experience. We have used a variety of their personal products including a CD and their online savings account. Their online banking and apps are as good as many of the larger banks and their customer service is on point. I rarely have to call about anything but when I do I get a real banker, not a machine. Another great feature of the bank is with their ATM cards they reimburse for other bank’s fees so we can use any ATM in the country for free. It’s more convenient than banking at chase or BofA. Highly recommend the bank.

Fast & Easy Opening Process But Slow ACH Transfers

Posted by: socalguy | Oct 12, 2019

I signed up for an Online Savings account with First Foundation Bank (FFB) and the opening process was fast and easy. I was vetted by the security questions which were asked during the opening process. I also had no issues with linking external account with two trial deposits. The drawback is 5K/day for inbound ACH transfer limit, and ACH transfers normally take at least 3 business days to clear. I called FFB customer service regarding about inbound ACH transfer limit and was told that I could deposit checks at local branches if I wanted to make deposits more than 5K/day. FFB has branches in Southern California.

Great Business Bank With A Personal Touch

Posted by: JoeD1 | Jul 28, 2019

I have had business and personal accounts with First Foundation for 3 years now and the service and product offering has been great. Their online and mobile banking apps are much easier to user than some banks 10 times their size I have banked with in the past. They offer very competitive rates and accounts with all the banking solutions I need such as bill pay, mobile check deposit and easy account transfers. Their banking staff are extremely friendly and they have a great help support. I would recommend this bank to anyone.