GreenState Credit Union Reviews

Communication Is TERRIBLE !

Here I am AGAIN waiting for a response to online/email questions and this time to a branch manager. This has happened SEVERAL times over the past few years. ONGOING ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO ADDRESSED ---anyone there at uiccu able to read & UNDERSTAND that ????

And also not being told of upcoming deposit rate increase 2.90 one day & 3% a few days later --but then with the communication issues, they must not talk to each other either.

so if you are thinking about joining this cu --be sure you can handle not being taken care of for extended periods at times.

Worse Banking? Experience

Those people are non professional, dishonest and just want to take your money. I open a checking account and applied for a credit card that they never issued. I've sent all the documents they required to the account executive by mail as she asked. She never replied. Then I've been in her office and she said I was approved and I should get in my mail in ten business days. It never happened. The worst they have been charging me for very different paperwork statement fees, withdrawal fee etc. They made also false promises that I would have $50 rewards using my ATM card a certain number of time as my referral. All those bullshits. I just wanna close my account. Don't go there if you want to save your money and have valuable services. They don't even deserve one star.

University of Iowa Community Credit Union

After becoming fed up with US bank's terrible interest rates and unwillingness to offer me a competitive rate on refinancing my mortgage, I turned to University of Iowa Community Credit Union. I filled out a form and was contacted the next day regarding what they could offer on a refinance. It was a great deal so I went ahead with it. This provided me a great opportunity to move my checking and savings accounts to UICCU. They offer a "Premium" checking account that offers 2.25% interest (APY) if you meet several criteria, including having an ACH deposit and using your debit card at least 12 times a month. That was far greater than the 0.01% interest US bank was offering.After telling the officer I wanted to set up checking and savings accounts, he put me in contact with their accounts person. UICCU did all of the work for me, and all I had to do was go in and sign a few documents and receive my debit card. They allowed me to go to the closest branch to sign the documents. Since getting the checking account, I have used it to get great interest every month. I also recommended a person get the premium checking account, which got me a $50 bonus.

Uiccu Review

Their Savings account is definitely the best in market, and I can't think of any other place where I can earn more on my account. This credit union prices things more aggressively, from CDs to Money Markets to Mortgage Loans. Not only that, when they send out the updated fee schedule each year, they actually include advice on how to avoid paying fees. I've been a member for 20 plus years and love what they do for me and the community.
I've had a very good experience with the University of Iowa Credit Union. As a local of Iowa City, and as a business person, my choices are not limited to credit unions, however I am happy with this one. Going into their offices, I've always had great customer service experiences. All of the employees are friendly and very helpful. This is the best I have ever had and their mobile banking is also very nice.

Terrible Bank.

We've been with them for years. We opened a mortgage with them and they took over 5 months to close and they ran our credit 4 times. They never call back, they refuse to help you improve your credit and they're simply rude. They love to save transactions for up to 6-7 days until your account is close and then slam you with monthly fees to bounce your account. Worst bank in the area! We have accounts with three other area banks and have never had this many problems!

New Locations UICCU

Deposit Accounts - The University of Iowa Credit Union has two new locations: Davenport and Bettendorf. You need to update your search and map functions so that we locals might compare them to other local credit unions.

Customer Service Issues

Two days and still no reply to a email. Not the first time there has been issues. I asked for contact information for the President /CEO/HPIC almost 4 months ago with a reply from the csr asking if they could do anything ---THEY are the reason I asked for the contact information. Apparently they can NOT do anything.

NOT impressed.

Great Place!!

I’m earning 2.5% in checking and paying less than that on my UICCU car loan. I have never been to a bank or credit union that prices things more aggressively, from CDs to Money Markets to Mortgage Loans. Not only that, when they send out the updated fee schedule each year, they actually include advice on how to avoid paying fees. Who else does that? I think it’s the best banking experience in Iowa.

UICCU Has Great Customer Service

My 4 year IRA CD just ended and I put most of the money in the new 2% for 25 months CD which is available as an IRA. The IRA dept. has given me great customer service. No complaints at all. I haven't lived in Iowa for many years but was able to join because I am an alumnus of Univ. of Iowa.

good, but not great

I've had a decent experience with the University of Iowa Credit Union. As a local of Iowa City, and as a student, my choices are limited in credit unions, however I am happy with this one. Going into their offices, I've always had great experiences. All of the employees are friendly and very helpful. The only reason that my rating is not a perfect rating is their lack of a mobile interface, and some of the interactions have been kind of slow over the internet. Besides that, I would recommend this credit union to somebody else.

Nightmare Banking---Greedy, Aggressive, And Dishonest

UICCU sums up everything that is wrong with modern banking. Their lack of service, constant greed, and anti-customer policies make it a nightmare to do business here. I've had bank accounts with close to a dozen different banks---including the national ones---and this has by far been my worst experience.

1) Greed is all that motivates UICCU. If they can find a way to charge you a fee, they will. UICCU cares only about making money, not about customer welfare.

Under my plan, I'm charged a fee everytime I use my card as debit and whenever I use a non-UICCU ATM. This is a problem since the credit union shut down almost all of its direct campus ATMs, meaning that you either get stuck with the fee or effectively have no ATM access.

Once I misplaced my checkbook and asked them for one temporary check. They printed it off. I thought it was awfully nice of them and then I saw a charge against my account for a few dollars.

UICCU will kick customers when they're already down. When my card was lost/stolen, I was told that I'd be charged $15-20 for a replacement. Even the mega-banks like Chase have never imposed that kind of fee on me. The worst part is that my replacement card never showed up. That was a sign that I needed to bank elsewhere.

2) UICCU employs hyper-aggressive, deceptive sales tactics. Also aimed at earning them money to your detriment.

For several weeks, everytime I came in, I was bombarded with sales pitches about their new credit card. I told them every time that I was not interested and that I probably wouldn't qualify anyway (as a student with low income). They persisted in asking me for weeks after that. Finally my resolve broke down and I asked for more information. I explained my situation to the banker, that I had only RA-income and income from a small business that was a few months old. He assured me that I qualified and would receive the new loan, so I went ahead and signed on the dotted line. Days later he told me that there was a problem with my application, since I didn't have enough year-round income (which I already warned him about). I sincerely tried to follow up and get the application through but received no response. I did nothing but waste my time and injure my credit score by giving UICCU a fair chance.

The bottom line is this---don't bank with UICCU. There are few incentives and you do so at your own peril. If you roll the dice and bank at a random credit union, you almost certainly be happier. It does not get worse than this.

Long Term Member

The Rewards Account is consistently the best in market, and I can’t think of any other place where I can earn more on my checking than I would pay on my equity loan.  Been a member for 20 plus years and love what they do for me and the community.

1St And 2Nd Mortgage Screw Ups...

We got a good rate on our mortgage but every month they take money out of my husbands checking acct they never know how to seperate the moneys for the 1st and 2nd mortgage. We've been with these guys for 1 1/2 yrs and we've had to deal with it so much. My husband has to directly go to the office just to argue with them about YES I did pay my 2nd mortgage. Grr...it's so frusterating they can't figure it out. Also, they aren't customer service orientated either.

Touch Tone Teller

The touch tone teller voice  speaks way too fast to follow when checking my accounts!!! Other than that we're happy with most everything else.

Watch Your Loan

I had a car loan with U of I CCC, and after paying on it over a year, hadn't even touched on the principal amount. They had added their own insurance, even though I had faxed my proof of insurance several times. Once I caught the problem they owed me over $3000 plus interest. Without me finding the problem, they would have gotten an extra $3000 + from me. I'm not impressed.

Very Happy With UICCU

I've been with UICCU ever since I was in school at the University back in '03. The rate on the Rewards Checking has been great, usually the highest I can find anywhere, and I don't feel that what they ask to get the rate is unreasonable. The paperless statements are also less hassle, and the direct deposit was something I wanted anyway. I have been burned by the slow posting transactions before as well, but was given the interest after explaining the situation. The second time, it was simply because I had forgotten to use the card enough times, and I can hardly blame that on them (although I was unaware of the $5 minimum average). I've been MORE than happy with the service that I've received as a customer and have kept my money at UICCU despite the fact that I no longer even live in Iowa City.

Terrible Don't Join

I have had my check direct deposited for a year at this poor excuse for a credit union. Multiple times I have had money in my account and use my credit card and all of a sudden my card would be randomly denied. I went online and looked and had plenty of money to cover the charge in my account. You will also get charged for transferring money after your third transaction of the month. DON'T JOIN, THEY WILL JUST KEEP TAKING MONEY FROM YOU!

Come To Des Moines

Great rates. Always competitive on the deposit and loan side. No origination fees on mortgages. I just wish they had branches over here in Des Moines. Bring it west UICCU.

ATM DEPOSITS

A week ago I used UICC's outside ATM to deposit a check thinking that my account would be ok . Then after reviewing my account online I found that they withdrew my check because they said a check wasnt in the envelope. My fiancee and I clearly put the check into the envelope and sealed it shut and wrote in red ink. Between their atm machine and the employees  recieving the envelope the check was lost and now im out x amount of dollars (shaking my head). NEVER use their atm machines to deposit anything !!!

Not So Rewarding Rewards Checking Account

5* for still one of the best rates; 0* for innumberable hoops that they make you jump through to get it. Like one other poster, I got burned the first time for late posting of one transaction (they grudgingly made good on the interest that month); the second time I got burned because of one small Debit Card charge; I had 12 ATM Debits > $5 but I didn't realize that the 13th transaction, being of small amount, brought the average of 13 ATM Debit transactions down below $5 ($4.98) (I would have made it if I had done only the twelve transactions!). For crying out loud, I have a Phd in CSE but I cannot keep up with these horrendous requirements and this slow learning-by-getting-burned every month. I may not be able to pull my money out immediately due to their CD bonus rate but this is definitely a royal PITA. The first chance I get I am moving my money out!

Great Account!

I have had the rewards checking account shortly after the credit union introduced it.  It has been a wonderful account.  Staff explained the features of this product in great detail, inlcuding the posting of the minimum of 12 "credit" transactions each month.  If you truly use this account as your primary checking account, there is no reason you can't meet the minimum number of transactions.  The rates have continued to be very competitive.  I have been very satisfied with this account.  They must be doing something right to be the #1 credit union in the US in member giveback, thank you!

Poor Service, Too Many Stipulations, Outdated Home Banking.

While the rates are seemingly good, I have never had to jump so many hoops. Additionally, the service representative on the phone was snotty and rude when explaining all the stipulations. The home banking website is not user-friendly. I can use it to get what I need done, but it is no comparison to other home banking websites. I will be moving my money out of this bank as soon as possible. The rates aren't worth the service. I just wish I wouldn't have moved my direct deposit yet.

Not So Rewarding Checking

While the U of Iowa Credit Union currently has some of the best rates available for their Rewards Checking account, beware of all of the hoops they make you jump through to get that rate.  One of the many stipulations is using the account's debit card 12 times a month (a reasonable request).  However, I've now been burned twice by slow posting transactions that mysteriously happen at the end of the month.  This is blamed on the merchant of course, despite the fact that the credit union processes the funds hold the moment the card is swiped.  Their customer service rep actually credited the lost interest to my account the first time this happened about a year ago.  Unfortunately, the customer service rep I encountered this time was rude, snappy and lectured me about how the banking system works (thanks, but I have Google too).  Therefore I decided to exercise what little power we consumers have and am sharing this experience with you in the hope that it might help someone else.  Bottom line if you have a U of I rewards checking account (or two in my case), make sure your 12 transactions have posted prior to the end of the month so your great rate doesn't drop to near zero for that month.

I would give the account 5 stars for the rate, one star for the Byzantine requirements to get that rate and two stars for the sad state of their customer service, which used to be stellar.  At least they picked up the phone quickly.

#1 In Nation For Return To Member

This CU was recently recognized by Callahan and Associates as being #1 in the nation (out of 7,441 credit unions) for returning profits back to its members in the form of lower loan rates and higher deposit yields.

Great Account! Includes A Best Rate Guarantee On Cds Too

Great account! Includes a best Rate Guarantee on CDs too.