Harborstone Credit Union Reviews

Terrible Bank

Where to even start, this bank is pathetic. The only good thing is that the process to get a car loan through them is relatively easy and straightforward, after that this bank is hell.

I had 2 car loans through them. Their website is down for maintenance frequently and although you click "remember my account for 30 days" this does nothing and you are forced to verify with your phone everytime.

Customer service is awful and they randomly disconnect with you 50% of the time. There was an instance where I logged in to my bank account via a VPN connection and they thought it was suspicious and froze online access to all my accounts and forced me and my wife to come in to the bank and bring our IDs before they would let us have access to our accounts! Extremely inconvenient as we had moved farther away and we were told multiple times that there was not any other options.

Website is archaic and difficult to navigate. Transfers from external banks sometimes work and the majority of time do not. Was told different things from different individuals on how to set this up. Their online customer service chatbox brings an error half the time and does not connect.

Given external bank transfers only sparingly work, you are forced to go into the bank to make a payment or pay via phone. However, they do not allow you to payoff your loan online and will only accept payments up to $2,500 over the phone, again forcing you to go into a branch which is very inconvenient if you move away. Would rate this bank 0 stars if I could, would never bank here again.

Terrible Experience

I personally had a terrible experience with them. Several matters took way to long to resolve. I finally switched banks and paying my loan with my new account has a 12 dollar flat convenience fee per payment. Thats over 10 percent the loan payment value. Any institution that charges 10 percent per on time payment is doing it wrong. Do not get a loan or bank with them.

Avoid This Credit Union

I was with this credit union for over 5 years and had several bad experiences. Their interest rates on credit cards and loans are very high. Credit cards at 18%+ and auto loans at 5%+ and I have good credit. They don't periodically re-evaluate interest rates on their credit cards like many good credit unions so you are stuck with a high rate permanently. Their online banking was very good 5 years ago when I first joined but has not had a single update since and is now quite dated. Their credit card also doesn't integrate with online banking and must be managed through a completely different web site. It doesn't even support eBill for their credit card through the bill pay system.

Two recent bad experiences stand out and have pushed me to switch to a different bank.

I asked about personal loan products and was directed to a loan officer who demanded to know the specific name of the product I wanted. When I told them I was looking for a personal loan they acted confused and retorted with "Do you mean a 'signature' loan?" as if I'm supposed to know their product naming schemes. They didn't offer any explanation for their products and then finally offered a personal loan with a rate higher than most credit cards.

Another time I went into the branch to setup overdraft protection on my account. I was told I'd need to come back another day because they didn't have loan officers covering their full branch hours. There were no publicly listed hours for loan officer availability, so I had to guess when to return. I returned another day and managed to track down a loan officer to discuss overdraft protection for my checking account. Partway through this process I was given the option to add "extended" overdraft protection to my account. I accepted only to find out later that this was actually a personal line of credit and was reflected as a hard inquiry on my credit report. None of this was mentioned by the staff member.

As noted by other reviewers, this credit union has serious issues with customer service and product interest rates. If you need a good credit union in the Puget Sound, look to BECU or WSECU instead.

No More Harborstone

Well. Another bank doesn't get my business. Harborstone Credit Union. Keep in mind that I've been a member since 1987. I went minus in our checking account and covered it the same day. I forgot to make a transfer the night before from one of our two savings accounts we also have with them. They charged us $90 for three payments that tried to clear. Consequently, they blocked our bill pay account. Their bill pay service, just happens to be a third-party vendor and, Harborstone claims their hands are tied. Really? They can't even work with the vendor they've selected for their bill payment service????? Once again...the money-paying customer takes it in the shorts! Not only have they taken $90 from me, they've made it so I cannot pay bills for three days due to the blocked account status. WHAT DO THEY DO WITH THE $90? PUT IT IN THEIR CHRISTMAS KITTY? DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HARBORSTONE CREDIT UNION!!!!

Absolutely Horrible

Complete trash. Unprofessional employees. Not to mention they stopped sending me invoices in the mail after a year.

Here's the worst part. After a few years of on time payments, I started to fall a little behind. I talked to them about it, and they seemed understanding. So I started making payments again to get caught back up, and they repossessed my vehicle without warning.

The only good thing about this is that I don't have to deal with them ever again.

Harborstone Reports Under A Fake Moniker

Harborstone reports to Experian as Harborstone Credit Union. It then reports to Equifax as McChord Credit Union. (McChord Credit Union was bought out by Harborstone in 1984!)
Customer service is aware of the problem and insists that you must go through the dispute process with Equifax to resolve the issue. Harborstone Credit Union is reporting to different credit agencies using two different monikers, thus giving prospective creditors the impression of separate issues.
Check your credit reports with ALL reporting agencies.

Shambolic Mess Of An Amateur Credit Union STAY AWAY

I came as one of the Prevail customers. Their bill paying software does whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Sometimes it send bills three days early, sometimes a week late. I've called about this several times, gotten NSF fees refunded for those bills sent early, and then have to talk my vendors out of charging me late fees when HS's bill payer doesn't work.

It would take less time to write checks, but since they put an incomplete account number on my membership card, I had to reorder my new check, and don't have them yet.

Right now it's a Thursday at 4 o'clock, and online banking has been down for unscheduled maintenance for hours. Customer service says it's not IT's job to tell them what's up.

Post-Merger Chaos

I was a member of Prevail prior to the merger. 5 accounts plus credit card & mortgage.

Despite all assurances that nothing would change, I've had nothing but problems. You can't reach anyone, and if by some miracle you do they're unresponsive and unhelpful. Whatever problem I've had it's "That's just the new policy" or "Sorry, there's nothing I can do." I'm getting delinquent notices on my mortgage despite it being current and up to date. Electronic payment transactions now take a week, regardless of whether the payee is part of Harborstone. They also now debits your accounts days before the payee receives electronic fund transfers.

I am now researching a new home for my money and my mortgage. I've already replaced the credit card, and shut off all direct deposits & automatic payments.

Stay away - go to BECU if you want a credit union

Its A Privelage To Bank With HS LOL

This bank has some of the most unprofessional employees I have ever seen.  Ego takes presidence.  Stay Clear