Mountain America Credit Union Reviews

Fraud Victim

My wife's father set up her account with MACU when she was in high school. As a result he was cosigned on her account. Now as we are in college doing our best to not have to go into debt, some how her bank info was stolen and some fraudster stole the 1000 dollars in the account and overdrew the account 5000 dollars. This happened in the course of three days. We noticed it and reported it to MACU. We were directed to the fraud department and our service was terrible. After a month and many phone calls we learn nothing about how it's going. We also filed a report with the police, but before they could make any headway on the fraud, MACU's fraud department concluded their investigation and said we needed to pay it back. MACU threatened to pay it off with my wife's father's other accounts including the ones he set up for his other children. MACU strongarmed us into signing over the fraud into a loan. Now we have to pay back 5000 dollars we never even had. We felt like we were being scammed by MACU. The police said the fraud department wouldn't let them investigate and it felt like MACU just wanted to rush out case out the door and into a loan. Don't trust this Credit union. They jump at the chance to screw their customers.

My Experience

Posted by: niknob | Mar 17, 2019

I tried for several weeks to open Term Plus Accounts. I spoke with numerous people (after being on hold for over 15 minutes each time). It seems no one has a direct # so you are starting from scratch each time. I am told to ask for a specific person and then find out he is at lunch and did not have the foresight to say "Call me anytime EXCEPT between ---- and -----".
I have received a welcoming kit except I do not consider myself a member since no accounts have been funded. The rate is great but the hassle is not worth it!!

My Favorite

Posted by: Pochield | Apr 9, 2018

Mountain America Credit Union has been one of my favored banking institutions for over 25 years. When I first opened an account with this credit union it was called Smith's Federal Credit Union and was linked to a previous employer of mine. The branches were small, the experience personable, and the transactions felt like you were dealing with a trusted friend rather than an aloof business. Eventually, as the business expanded, the credit union was absorbed by another local institution...Mountain America. The personal style of dealing business has remained. I have a checking and savings account with Mountain America. I have also held personal loans with them and at one time a savings account for my now grown son. Whenever I need help any employee is professional, friendly, and provides very prompt and accurate service. I am very happy with this company.

I'm happy with MACU

Posted by: lloydberry | Mar 1, 2018

In fact, I'm MORE than pleased with the credit union I currently belong to. My paycheck from my part time job is direct deposited into my account, and even though payday is technically Thursday, the money is always deposited into my account on Wednesday evening. It makes a big deal to me as I usually do my grocery shopping on Thursday mornings.

In addition, this credit union offers a "perk" to members that does not penalize you too severely if you should overdraw your account. The fee is $20 per transaction that you overdraw, and the daily amount you are charged is capped at $100. I have not had to use this feature yet, but it is comforting to know it's available to me if an emergency should arise. Plus, you are given 30 days to pay it back, which I imagine would be a great relief if you suddenly found yourself unemployed.

Finally, the credit union is open until 7PM, which is a great feature if you work during the day. And, I have never had a bad or uncomfortable experience while dealing face to face with one of their employees...

Excels in service

I have banked with Mountain American Credit Union for nearly two decades. They began as a smaller credit union and took over a smaller institution that was owned by a previously employer of mine. I decided to stay on as a customer and have always been treated extremely well. Each employee is gracious, kind, friendly, and very professional. The products are top notch and I am very happy to be a customer.

Mountain America Credit Union

Posted by: Ersoftsm | Oct 19, 2017

I have been with my bank for almost a decade. I continue to stay with them because they have convenient locations and their customer service is amazing. I had overdrafted in my checking account after I had miscalculated my balance one time. I had over $80 in overdraft fees. I called them up and explained it was a honest mistake and they reversed the charges. This is the reason I will continue to stay with them.

No Bump-Up

Posted by: brskun | Sep 25, 2017

FYI -
Just spoke to rep. She said that 5-year CD does not have a bump-up feature.

Lying Identity Thieves Committing Fraud

Posted by: itsnikaduh | Sep 1, 2017

i have an auto loan with Mountain America Fcu whom of which does business as Mountain America Credit Union. i am a customer of 15+ years, and this last year i have received the worst service imagineable. i have asked for statements to be received via usps, they refuse to do so and continue to send e-statements. recently i have come to the findings that Mountain America Fcu, whom of which does business as Mountain America Credit Union, has not only sold the original documented contract with my wet signature and redeemed it at the FRB, but they also have committed the same fraudulent activity that Wells Fargo committed several years prior. the fraudulent activity of creating accounts/shares under the customers names, without informing the customers of such activity. this business has committed identity fraud to all customers. if you have a loan or mortgage through this company, i suggest demanding a true bill rather than a statement, as well as true transaction history of the 12 digit accounts assosciated with your account number you normally use, and demand any other proof necessary, providing information that will show whether or not you owe payments, or if they owe you instead.
stop the banksters! stop the fraud! stop the money cycle! lets end this murderous activity that the banks and credit unions have commeitted.

Poor Customer Service

All I wanted to open account. I was putting money in bank. They wanted my credit history. It never happened.before. I was told that I could add my wife's name later on. I sent the information along with check. The check was cashed but the name was not added. After 3 phone calls (that is not easy) I decided to close the account and the agent said she will close the account and send the money. After waiting foe 2 weeks the account was still active and the agent said yesterday he is sending the cashier's check.

Absolutely A Great C.U.

Posted by: gbtexas | May 27, 2017

I would recommend this place any day of the week, in spite of a few shortcomings. On the whole the Customer service reps are extraordinarily friendly, with most able to help.

One shortcoming is their preferred mailing address to send the $ to fund a CD. My experience is that mailing it to one of the branches in West Jordan produces more rapid results, whereas one time it took them 3 days after racing my check to credit it to my CDs. I was told that they received so many checks that it took them from Monday to Wednesday to get caught up. Hmm, I thought. Does this seem plausible. My conclusion was that it was possible, but extremely unlikely, that is unless only one person was doing the work.

Fix Your Atms

Posted by: Gbsal | Feb 2, 2017

I have visited the atms in provo an orem a total of 8 times since December and 6 out of 8 times they are unable to dispense cash or unable to accept a deposit.

Not Your Ordinary Credit Union

Posted by: Adee Vain | Oct 18, 2016

We have been with America First Credit Union since 1994 and just opened an account with Mountain America a little over 3 yrs ago. The difference between these two in customer service, products, and fee's is night and day. Great rates, low fee's and I especially love that when I lose or damage a card, I can just walk right into any branch and get a new one... with AFCU I usually have to wait 7-10 business days which is such an inconvenience!

Clobbered For Partial Closure Of Cds

Posted by: de7ye | Oct 3, 2016

Reading their disclosure. Essentially means you are clobbered for partial closure of CDs.
"If your term deposit has an original maturity of 48 months or greater, the penalty may equal 365 days dividends on the full amount of the term deposit."

Avoide If You Are Apply From Out Of UT

After seeing good rates for 5 year CD I directed to apply for an account at Mountain America CU. I was able to get hold of customer service using 800 number. First time a representative said that you can open an account online and set up the CD online. So I applied for a membership savings account to become a member. BEWARE - They do a hard pull on credit. After applying, an email was sent with application id. Nothing happened for a day so I called and was directed to new application department. The representative said that I have to get my application notarized since I am out of state which was not an issue. Then when asked for opening a CD, the representative said that I will have to wire transfer a fund for CD. NO ACH TRANSFER WAS AVAILABLE TO OPEN CD. I asked to cancel the application with a hard credit pull on me and my spouse credit report.

You Made Us Feel Like Crimnals Asking For Arv Loan

well Mountain America you take the cake and eat it to we have had loans with you for 8 to 9 years never missed a payment on any thing yours or our other accounts , so last year we sold our other rv,s we had with you,, to help our daughter recover from cancer surgery, and now that she is well we wanted to go back on our ret ancestry travels ,,. so we found a very nice class A coach put down a $1,000 dep and waited for a decision and after you hemmed and hawed around you told us that because we have had two houses on contract , we could not have a rv loan with them, WHAT we just paid off two rv loans with them are you discriminating because we are home owners or just to old what , this is a free country, so I guess we will just find a non dictating Mormon bank to deal with by the way we lost our deposite because of you now you owe us

Answering Phones

For two days in a row I've called different branches. One in St. George Utah and one in Hurricane Utah. In both locations I've had people pick up the phone after about a 10-15 min. wait to just hang up the phone! One time they answer and told me we'll get back to you in less than 24 hours to resolve your issue (easy) and 24 hours later no call and I'm having the same issue with anyone picking up! I usually do my business through the ATM machine but that has his broken numerous times in the last month in the Hurricane area too. Up to now, I'd really like this bank but they are really struggling with answering their phones and hanging up on a customer is just unprofessional!

Awesome credit union

We absolutely love working with Mountain America Credit union. We have had a checking account there for over 6 years. There currently are no fees associated with owning the account. There are overdraft fees etc but none with just having the account which is nice to not feel like you are wasting money. Every time I call to ask a question such as adding an account holder or how to do a foreign wire they have been so helpful. We recently added an additional account holder and the representative was extremely helpful. I called to see what information we needed and the she told me all of the items without me having to ask. She preemptively knew what I would need and when was the best time to come in. Getting the person added to the account was a breeze. We love working with MACU because they are always helpful, their website and bill pay is great, the accounts are good and their representatives are efficient and nice.

Great Services, But Terrible Customer Service And Do No Get A Mortgage Loan From Them.

Posted by: BryceFtz | Apr 15, 2013

I know this is my first review on deposit accounts, but I am just wanting to let everyone know to stay away from Mt. America if you are doing a mortgage loan. We have been with Mt. America for years now. We have had two auto loans. A personal loan for school as well has many other accounts with them. During our home loan we have had the worst service and have been completely flat our disrespected when going through the process. After being told we would not have to pay anything and it was a 100% mortgage and that we would be able to close three weeks early. It is now a day after our official closing date and we have to come up with close to $3,500. This was never mentioned during the entire 2 month process to us until this day. So make sure you have plenty of savings to pay for hidden fees and last minute changes to your agreement. On Friday when supposed to be closing our mortgage person told us we would be able to close at 5pm and he would send the documents over to be signed. Around 5:30pm and not receiving any documents we called the branch to find out our mortgage guy just left and didn't handle anything at all on our last day to close. After multiple calls and a few messages to the Mortgage person. Nothing was completed and none of the calls or messages were answered. Very unprofessional! Lastly after messing up everything, surprise fees, extra payments, no notice, no follow up and missing our closing date. I had to contact them this morning in order to have anything started. Now we are waiting until 4pm today to close and will not fund and record until tomorrow. This may not be the worst story out there, but after being handled this way I would never want anyone to have to go through what we went through to buy a house. Look elsewhere

Review Opening Account

Posted by: Duck | Mar 21, 2013

Was pretty straight foward was 4 calls total as of 3/20 best easy rate going. Starterd online application called in with # of application. Was help with establishing rest of application given choice to electronically signing documents and disclosures called back given Account# went to share branch deposited money called back and was told 2day hold called again and asked to fund CD out of share NO problem hold one min came back DONE will send in mail thanked her and left

Note***

after establishing share account CD's can be openned through online banking with ACH

*Wish I knew ahead would of saved me the 2 day hold

Though not sure how fast Mountains ACH is?

10 day grace at end of term

POD go for all accounts or set indiv allowed more than one if needed

All in All very helpful Customer Service answered every question I had

Mortgage Service

I gave them 1 star because 0 was not an option.  If anyone is even considering getting a mortgage through mountain america please stay completely away.  I would not wish the headache they have caused us on anyone.  You can not believe anything they say.  First when we went to close on our loan, they had made a mistake and one of the draw lines for our construction shouldn't have have been there.  We had used the money that we thought was available.  If I had known the money wasn't really available, I would have made changes to my house.  It was there mistake, but they did not care,  I had to pony up 19K that I did not have in order to close the loan.  Since I had no choice, I ended up going into my 401K.  It has been nothing but a nightmare since.  Everything from customer service to you name it is terrible.  Another thing if these people tell you something on the phone I suggest you get it in writing.  The bottom line is if anyone reading this review goes on with mountain america for a mortgage, then you deserve every bit of headache coming your way.

Horible Mortgage Department

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 8, 2012

I have had bank accounts for 20 years with MACU and have liked their service. So when I decided to refinance 2 home loans I naturally thought I would go with MACU.

What a bad decision. They are slow, don't follow through, make error after error, will not give you the amount to bring to closing (even up to an hour before closing), change the closing date and time appointment without notification... I could go on and on.

I will never use their mortgage department again.

Our "Approved" Mortgage Refinance Was Denied After Mountain America Credit Union Officially Approved It In Writing Three Times.

Horrible!!!!  Don't bother trying to get any mortgage loan at Mountain America Credit Union!!  You won't qualify!!

I am a member here (not for long), so I thought I'd have them refinance my house.

My wife and I earn plenty of money, have no kids to pay for, and have no other debt except small student loans. We don't carry any credit card balances, we don't have car payments, and we both have excellent credit scores (near 750).

As for the house, we have owned it for nine years and we have plenty of equity in the house; we owe much less than the house is worth (75% loan to value).

Since the new Harp law went into effect this year, allowing people to refinance even if they owe more than the house is worth, and with interest rates so low, I figured now would be a great time to refinance our house.

It took SEVEN MONTHS of emails, paperwork, and many delays and mistakes on their end (entering our information wrong, telling us one thing on the phone and something completely different in an email, signing us up for the wrong program, asking for paperwork we already gave them, taking many days off and long vacations, saying we were approved and then asking for more paperwork, saying we were approved again and then pulling our credit again and asking for even more paperwork). Apparently, when Mountain America says you're approved, it doesn't actually mean that your loan is approved.
Finally, after they approved us for the third time (!?!), we got the final paperwork and they asked us if we could sign them that day (with two hours notice). Turns out, this is because they were about to have to pay to extend the rate lock, AGAIN. But since we were exhausted by their process and ready to just be done with it already, we moved appointments and meetings and agreed. We arrived at the title company and signed the loan.
You'd think it was a done deal at this point, right? WRONG!
Mountain America denied the loan ... AFTER we signed!

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend Mountain America Credit Union!!!

Quite Sloppy For A Bank

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 2, 2012

Account mistakes are much too frequent. I have tried for over 5 months to download my eStatements and have yet to be successful. Interest rates are a joke, as are typical of the industry. On several occasions I have gone to withdraw cash and they did not have enough on hand. I rate them poor and am seriously considering closing my accounts.

Great Service

Posted by: fordd22 | Jun 6, 2011

I have been with Mountain America Credit Union for 10 years now all because of the excellent customer service they gave me about 6 years ago. I had had my car broken into and they took everything my Viza cards, my checkbook and all the cash I had. I immediately called my bank and shut off my cards but it was too late they had already used my checks and cards and spent over $500. I was devastated. This all happened on a Friday after closing time, so on Monday I went into my bank to tell them what happened. They immediately changed my bank account number helped me total up all that had been spend and instantly gave it all back to me no questions asked. And as for the rest of the checks they put a stop to all the rest of them and notified me when one tried to come through. Thanks so much Mountain America Credit Union I have enjoyed being a member of your bank and will continue to.