NASA Federal Credit Union Reviews

EXCELLENT CD RATE! VERY SATISFIED.

Posted by: murr9506 | Oct 15, 2018

I opened a 15 month CD under their recent promotion. There was a lot of information to provide, but that tells me that they're serious about "know your customer" laws and made me feel secure. It was well worth it for the great rate. Customer reps were professional and helpful. The online site is helpful, accurate, and easy to use as was the transfer setup. I hope to do more business with this credit union!

Good Experience Overall

Posted by: BillA | Sep 24, 2018

Opened a CD account and got in funded without jumping through any hoops. The only hiccup was that they have a $10k limit per ACH pull, so I had to link up an external account and do a push from the other side. Good responsiveness to both phone and web mail communications and CSR was knowledgeable.

Notarize This

Posted by: milty | Sep 6, 2018

I think my experience is the same as many others here in that jumping through NASA CU's extreme hoops to open a CD account here just to earn 25 basis points more does not hardly seem worth it. So run don't walk away from this unless you don't mind having to send or upload "notarized" copies of your driver's license, social security card, utility bills, car registrations, etc., even though you have already passed their identity test questions. As far as I am concerned NASA CU can go shove their notary requests . . .

Great Credit Union With Everything You Need!

Posted by: BruceP11 | Aug 22, 2018

I joined in 2014 and have been very satisfied with NASA Federal! At first, I took advantage of their high-yield certificates/cds. Then, I was able to reduce my auto loan apr by almost half, which reduced my monthly payment as well. They recently updated their mobile app which gives you your FICO Score with a tap of a button. I don't call often but everytime, they are friendly and pretty quick. Not really sure why people are up-in-arms over hard pulls of credit for membership - you have to give a little to get a lot!

Credit Pull

Posted by: CWilliams | May 23, 2018

Be aware, they will do a HARD credit pull on you BEFORE you complete an application. You have no clue if you even QUALIFY for their funding yet they pull your credit. I am sure they will tell you this is clearly noted in the application, and while it is in one of their convenient little check boxes, it still makes no sense to not advertise qualifications so YOU can determine if you should even start the application. I am ok if they dispute my review, but I am not in politics so, I have nothing to spin. Good luck if you use NASA FCU.

Insecure - Login With SS

Posted by: hazel | Mar 22, 2018

They have you log in to their website using you social security number as password while you are applying.

I was hoping they'd be technically savvy since they're associated with NASA.

I can't see how they've stored the database -- and I don't know what kind of penetration testing they've done -- but this is something that makes you more vulnerable.

Unlike Others, I Have Not Had Any Major Issues Here

Posted by: RJM | Mar 7, 2018

.Opened the account, funded it with a local credit union shared branch banking. Then a couple of weeks later added more money.

I bought the 2.25% 11 month CDs.

Hopefully, they will have another competitive product in 11 months.

Oh, and despite some possible liars, NASA did NOT do a hard pull for me.

I did get an email asking me to change my password every 90 days, I did not do it. If I have to do that, I will close the account when the CDs mature.

Terrible - Waste Of My Time

After a lengthy filling out process of their application, they replied back for wanting of still more information. After again a lengthy process of scans and uploading of personal information, they never got back with me. Not my first Rodeo doing this, don't waste your time.

Regret Banking At NASA

Posted by: losscool | Mar 2, 2018

opened cd 10 days ago. talked to a few csr's on phone and website via secured messages to understand how NASA operates. conclusion: things that they should have told me the customer they did not tell. what they did tell turned out incorrect. bottom line: cd was to mature jan 20th but now must mature jan 28th. the supervisor insisted that nasa did not miscommunicate. meaning that it was i the customer who misunderstood.

Is It Legal For Them To Ask For A Copy Of Your SS Card

Posted by: DPlts123 | Feb 16, 2018

This review is about the CU's membership application requirements - specifically regarding social security card.

I submitted an on-line application and received an email for me to send over (1) a copy of my social security card to prove my identity, (2) a copy of my driver licence which I already submitted, and (3) something else such as a lease agreement or utility bill etc. to prove my address beside the driver licence, unusual but I didn't have major problem with it.

I called back and told them I wasn't comfortable sending a copy of my SS card and the customer service told me the requirement can not be changed. I have banked in many places and this is the first time I was ever asked to do it. Is it even 'legal' for them to ask for that??? With so much identity theft going on, how can I trust them to protect my identity, let alone giving them a copy of my social security card?

Their Mistake? Too Bad, You Pay

Posted by: afl1 | Dec 5, 2017

Customer for 7 years, never had a problem until my bank card was skimmed. I caught the error within 12 hours. Filed the claim, completed their paperwork, mailed it to the address they said to mail to. The paperwork disappeared and instead of following up, they simply denied my reimbursement. Couple hours on the phone trying to find a solution. Can I send the new form via registered mail? No, because it's a P.O. box. Do you think that you should warn customers that your system is broken? No, because you could have fax'd it. Really? Fax?

So I find a fax place on line and drive 6 miles during work hours. Fax the paperwork (they finally said they'd reopen my claim). Two weeks later, no response.

In the end, they said, they can't reimburse me because more than 30 days have passed since the charge was made. Not 30 days since they last heard from me. I followed up twice within the 30 days.

Bottom line: The institution is inflexible and unwilling to hold itself accountable for its own flawed processes. That translates to lousy customer service when you most need it.

Nohelp Over The Weekend If Your Account Has Issues

Posted by: Chopshop2 | Jan 28, 2017

So I went to the ATM to withdraw funds that I desperately needed over the weekend and for some reason my ATM said that my card is not valid. I have thousands in this account as verified on my phone and I have no way to access my funds. I have no reason to think of why this would be the case. There's no 24/hour service to help and nobody available to talk to at the bank. So I tried to acces my account by calling and if I could manually figure out what was wrong. After entering my acct information it asked for my personal password. I have never been asked that so I could not remember. I ended up locking the acct after that. I guess all weekend I won't have the funds I need. I will never intrust this bank with that much money ever again. Poor service. This is not the first time I have had issues with this bank.

John Melleady

I opened a small savings account with Nasa Federal Credit union. They gouged me with fees. They charged me inactivity fees without my knowledge and consent. I lost 30 percent of my original deposit of $100 and was refunded just $70. My member number was 396584.

AWFUL CREDIT UNION & CUSTOMER SERVICE

THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST CREDIT UNION THAT I'VE EVER DEALT WITH. YOU CANNOT BELIEVE HOW RUDE AND DISINTERESTED THEY ARE IN DEALING WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS. ESPECIALLY IN A TIMELY MANNER. I HAD AN ISSUE THAT WAS THEIR FAULT AND IT TOOK 5 FULL DAYS, NUMEROUS UNANSWERED MESSAGES & STILL NO RESOLUTION TO A LEGAL ERROR ON THEIR PART. THEY WERE INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TO CONTACT, STAYING ON THE PHONE FOR ALMOST AN HOUR SHOULD BE EXPECTED. I THINK THEY HOPE YOU WILL JUST GIVE UP. EVEN DEALING WITH SUPERVISORS RENDERS NO HELP. TWICE THEY GAVE ME A FAX NUMBER AND THEN THEY TOLD ME THEY NEVER RECIEVED ANY FAX BECAUSE THE WRONG FAX NUMBER WAS USED. I VERIFIED THEY GAVE ME THE FAX NUMBER TWICE. ONE ON MONDAY, AGAIN ON FRIDAY. THE ENTITY GOT GOOD SENDS BOTH TIMES USING THE CORRECT NUMBER. YOU HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE AND THEN THEY DON'T EVEN FOLLOW THROUGH TO THEIR PROMISES TO RESOLVE. ALL IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN TO ADDRESS MY LATEST ISSUE WAS ONE PHONE CALL THAT I WAS REPEATEDLY TOLD THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE. WHAT THE HAY KIND OF BUSINESS REFUSES TO MAKE 1 PHONE CALL TO RESOLVE AN ISSUE THEY CREATED? BELIEVE ME, YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE. I GOT 100% BETTER SERVICE FROM THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA THAN I DID NASA FEDERAL CREDIT UNION. I'VE HAD AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM FOR 4 YEARS AND MY OTHER CREDIT UNIONS (REDSTONE AND ASSOCIATE CREDIT UNIONS) ARE A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN NASA FCU.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

No! Just NO! (I have other words I prefer to use) This credit union has been a PAIN to work with. Their customer service is unbelievably horrible. You don't get put on hold for 40 minutes for someone to grab the call and hang up on you. That's just not right.
We financed our '06 Toyota Tacoma from them 3 months ago, out of state. We called to get the title sent to our local DMV for registration, address and number given to them. They sent it to the WRONG damn DMV nearly 700 miles away. I'm in California, if you're not familiar with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, you are lucky. So anyways, we called again and again, countless hours on hold just to be told that I have to get it! ME! For their mistake. This is extremely frustrating. They don't realize how something so simple was made nearly impossible and difficult. After these experiences for the last three months, I am definitely refinancing my auto loan through my local credit union.

AT THIS POINT IT'S NOT ABOUT RATES OR OFFERS, ITS ABOUT BEING ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.

What Does It Mean, Complimentary Membership To NSS

Posted by: John Sears | Jun 3, 2016

"Membership is open to anyone through a complimentary membership to the National Space Society." I don't see anything on their sites that it's free, you have to join. I wrote them and it's still confusing.

NASA Credit Union Be Careful

If you open an account here they do a HARD credit pull which lowers your credit score.

So Far, So Good.

You should know that getting a new account created at a credit union is usually more difficult than when dealing with a bank. At least they allowed most everything to be done online and fund the initial deposit using ACH. Some credit unions still insist on doing everything thru snail mail and want a check. The only glitch I had with getting the regular share account open was that they didn't ask for a copy of your driver's license until a few days after I had submitted the membership application. So that caused the regular share account creation to be delayed by about a week. It wasn't until I got that out of the way that I was able to create the IRA share account (savings). As of February of 2016, they've got a 49 month share certficate with an APY of 2.3%. Since this special was "This limited-time offer is subject to change at any time without notice." I had them put the IRA funds in the IRA share account before creating the IRA CD. This way I would be able to make sure that the promotional rate was still available when the IRA funds finally were transferred to NASA. You may think that this is paranoia, but I had ANOTHER UNNAMED CREDIT UNION pull the plug on their promotional rate 16 days into their CD special. This happened to be the very day they received the funds! If they hadn't honored the promotional rate I would have just left it in the share account and transferred it back out. I'll give NASA credit that they appear to keep their promotional rates available for the whole month that they offer them (and, sometimes beyond that). However, I started the application process in January and the IRA funds didn't make it to them until February. I'd recommend others to not automatically create CD's where the promotional rate has disclaimers like the one I described above. Just put the money in a regular share account, verify that the promotional rates still exist, and then have them transfer the money into a new CD. I explained my concerns to the folks at NASA and they did exactly as I requested. So, you can't ask for more than that. So far, the only negative is that they have a $35 fee to close an IRA. Hardly anyone does that anymore.

Discriminates

Posted by: Nasaintern | Feb 6, 2016

I am an intern at NASA and was told that I can get a free checking account. When I went to aign up on the intern page it gave no information about waht type of account I'd have. I chatted with someone online. They told me that the account is not free. I asked them to check into it because I was told that it was. I recieved a call from Diane who left me a message saying that it was definitely free so I logged in and filled out my application. I then received a call from Nancy, she left a message telling me that I misunderstood what the site said. That it says that the checking debit card is free, not the account. I called her back and she wanted to help me set up my account and she told me it would not be free. I told her that the lead accounts rep for the intern accounts left a message indicating that it would be free. Nancy then said, well most of our interns are under 24 and we wave fees for them. I told here that nowhere on the application did it discriminate based on age. She said that she would again check again and get back to me.

Great bank - very convenient

I was able to get an account at NASA through my dad. The customer service is great and the mobile experience is excellent. When closing on my first home, there was a mistake in the calculations made and I had to go back to the bank to withdraw more money. We didn't find out until 5 minutes before the bank closed and there was no way I would make it back to the branch in time – it was almost 10 minutes away. On a whim I called the branch directly and spoke to the customer service person and explained everything. She was nice enough to keep the drive thru window open for us and had the extra money waiting! YES!! The branch I go to is busy frequently but, they are always good about having all available tellers open and opening more windows when they can. I appreciate that, especially during the lunch rush.

Satisfied Customer

I have banked with Nasa FCU for a few months now, and so far I'm pretty satisfied. I have a checking and savings account with them, and it was really nice that they only required a $5 opening deposit in each one, so my money wasn't tied up in an account that I didn't have access to for a week or more until I got my debit card. Their customer service is ok. They are very direct and to the point, unlike some banks that try to sugar coat everything. If nothing else, it saves time.
My only real complaint about this bank is that their web presence leaves a lot to be desired. You have to log in with your account number instead of a username, and I can't figure out on the iOS app if there's a way to take a picture of a check to deposit it, like there is with many other online banks. I imagine that if it's an ebranch, there should be a way, but I can't figure it out. If there's not a way, that would definitely diminish my opinion of the app.
Another issue I have with the website goes back to the account number. If you forget your password, you can put in your account number and they will send you a temporary password, but if you forget your account number and cannot find it anywhere, you have to call them. There is no automatic system that can send it to you, which I imagine is for security reasons, since they use account numbers instead of usernames.

Satisfied NASA FCU Customer

Posted by: Shawn | Nov 6, 2015

I have had a premier money market account with NASA Federal Credit Union for quite some time now. I really like banking with them because they are such a reputable company. Their web and mobile experience has been very good! I think both their mobile app and website are highly user friendly and they even allow you to deposit a check by taking a picture of both the front and back side of the check. That is very convenient and makes my life easier. They are very reasonable when it comes to fees as well. The only thing that is a bit annoying is that they require a minimum balance for certain accounts. In my case, I have to keep $10,000 in my money market account at all times. I deal with it, but it would be nice if I did not have to worry about that. NASA FCU's customer service has always been wonderful. Their staff are all consummate professionals who go out of their way to help me every time I call them. Overall I am very happy with this credit union and highly recommend them.

Go NASA for checking accounts

I qualified to open an account with NASA Federal Credit Union as a relative of a NASA employee. I checked around and they offered the best checking account I could find, so I opened an account. I have been a member for nearly 3 years. The nice thing about NASA Federal Credit Union is that I opened my account with only a $100 deposit, and they only require a $5 deposit to open an account. Other banks wanted me to deposit at least $500 to open an account. My NASA Federal Credit Union also has no checking account fees and no direct deposit requirement. When I first opened my account the staff member was very courteous and assisted me quickly, I had my new account number in less than 15 minutes. I've never had any problems with my account. I highly recommend my credit union for checking accounts to anyone qualified to join.

NASA FCU - Timely, Reliable Service

Posted by: ameoang | Jun 9, 2015

This is the only bank I've ever used, and I've had no reason to consider changing. Any fees are explained and reasonable, transaction are quick and easy, and the customer service is very responsive and helpful. For example, I once had a recurring charge for a service that I previously used that I thought I had canceled, and it overcharged my account. My bank sent me a call and an email to make sure things were alright, since I never had this problem before, and they thought maybe my information had been stolen. Once I called back, it was settled, I added the money I needed, and everything returned to normal. On a day to day basis, I never have to think about or worry about the bank, since I know everything will be fine, and if I do need to do something unusual, it will be easy.

Awesome APR for our Vehicle

Posted by: AllyWatts | Mar 15, 2015

I've had an account with NASA Federal Credit Union for around 2 years now, and I have never had a problem with their services. I have a credit card with them and an auto loan. I was offered a horrible APR by the dealership for my new vehicle so i took my loan to NASA Federal and they offered an APR rate twice as low and I'm able to pay my loan at the same time as my credit card. Any time I visit the credit union the staff is extremely helpful. This has been the best experience I've had with a financial institution.

Checking and saving accounts

Posted by: Camelia77 | Mar 3, 2015

I have been with NASA Federal Credit Union for more than 10 years. Compared to my experience with other banks, I really like that there is no monthly fees or other fees for my both checking and saving accounts. Another good thing is that I don't need to worry about the overdraft fees for my checking account. If there is not enough money in my checking account, the bank will automatically transfer money from my saving account, without any fees or penalty! That's very nice. I have a checking and a saving accounts with another bank. It didn't offer the same service, so I was charged a overdraft fee. Also, it is very convenient for me to withdraw cash from either the bank or the ATM machine, without fees, AGAIN!

Should have had used more product lines and never switched

I opened a savings account because I wanted one in another location from my primary checking account. It took me quite some time to open the account but the representative was polite and kind. Over the years, customer service continued to be excellent even when I no longer lived close to a branch. I usually found it convenient. I serviced my accounts through the mail, telephone and using the shared branches for a couple years. The website experience was not as up to date as some of the larger commercial banks. However, now that I've closed my account, I find that I miss the experience and the personal experience with the representatives. I also had good experiences with the shared branches although some were better than others. I now find myself wishing that I had tried more of their products and I think about returning for primary checking especially now that their mobile deposits are much easier.

Happy customer

Posted by: Steph1223 | Jan 11, 2015

I have been a happy customer of NASA federal credit union for years. Initially I was concerned with the fact that there are no locations nearby enough to go to, but I have not had any issues doing my banking online with them. When I have a check to deposit, it is easy enough to take a picture of it and deposit it using my phone without even having to travel anywhere. It has been quick and easy to make any transfers as well as authorizing larger purchases with my accounts. In every instance in which I've had to call customer service, they have been friendly, understanding, and I've hung up the phone being very pleased with the experience. I made an error with my checking account at one point, and after a quick phone call, they offered to refund a fee I was charged from my own error. Overall, I am very happy with this credit union.

Always taken care of

Posted by: NASACFUFan | Dec 7, 2014

My experience with NASA Federal Credit Union has been excellent so far. Their customer service is unmatched from any banking institution I have ever worked with. Membership was allow because I am a member of the NSS (Nation Space Society). I look forward to banking with NASACFU for years to come.

You have a right to be treated fairly.

Posted by: DCKirt | Nov 11, 2014

I was a member of NASA Credit Union for less than a year. I have a checking and savings account. Unfortunately, I sold an expensive item and was given a check as payment. It was from someone online, that I didn't know very well. I called several times to make sure that the check was cleared and everything was fine. It turns out that the person that sent me the check had a very sophisticated scheme where the check took a little longer than normal. The check cleared, but I took a while longer to show it as an identity theft account. I had already turned the item over to the individual by the time the Credit Union called and said I had deposited a check that was fraudulent. They told me to come into the nearest location and speak with them. I was very nervous, but I went there the next morning. The banking officer I spoke to was very kind and understanding. She really listened to what I had to say and did not treat me like I was a criminal. I was lucky that I had called several times to inquire about the check. They said they are certain that I was not a part of any fraud. I ended up loosing the item, but they cleared me of any fees and charges the check had caused me. I was really grateful and surprised. It's really great to be a part of an institution that treats you like a person and not just an account number.

I Love NASA Federal CU!

The bank offers low loan rates and some great CD promotions.

If you Direct Deposit your funds to this Credit Union, they give you access to your funds a day early! This is hard to find these days.

They also waive one NSF fee per year, provide Free checks, and they let you deposit at CoOp ATMs and PNC Bank ATMs. This Credit Union is awesome, and when you walk into a branch you feel like youre in a Space Center. A++ service and they offer a lot of flexibility!

Nasa Federal Credit Union

Posted by: lof | Jul 10, 2014

This is the second day I've been trying to open a 49 month account. Filled out the application online yesterday morning, Rep. stated they would get back to me within a hour (to fund the account). Been locked out of their system and they don't use a phone or a outside email address to communicate with a consumer. I had to call over and over to get any information. The solution, I was given "start the process over again". I've opened 5 other cd's so far this year, I've never been treated like this!!!!!!! I don't know what they'll do with my credit information or the membership fee that was placed on a credit card. Just a waste of time.