Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union Reviews

Knowlegable, Professional, And Curtious Representatives

PESCU representatives have been excellent in providing help and accurate answers/information during a time of high demand due to an excellent CD promotion. I opened two accounts and appreciate very much the hard work and courteous, professional attention provided to me by this credit union.

NOT Too Bright.

Online app asks for "mailing address" which is NOT the same as a physical address for many, many people. App denied and subsequent conversations to explain the issue were futile. UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION psecu.

Savings Share Application And CD Application

BEWARE THIS ORGANIZATION IS VERY SLOW IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION AND THEY DO NOT KEEP THEIR SPOKEN WORD ON THE PHONE. I WAS ONE OF THE UNLUCKY ONES WHOSE APPLICATION AND ACCOUNT NUMBER TOOK 35 DAYS TO RECEIVE!!!
First, the e-mail they send to verify your e-mail, by sending you an e-mail, the letter they send does not have a clickable link and the search engines don't accept it.
Second, it has been 35 days and I finally received a share 1 account number. I paid $25 to have my money wired into the savings account so that I could open the CD they offered at 3%. I talked several times to a representative and they confirmed that I would receive the 3% 24 month certificate even though it took so long for them to process my application and send me my account number and pin number.
When I called the certificate department they said that they would not honor the 3% 24 month certificate. I spent over a month of my time dealing with this organization and they did not keep their word.

Adding Beneficiaries?

Was easy to open a joint account and no problem to get money there from Ally Bank. Linked PSECU at Ally and then verified 2 small deposits. Sent money from Ally to my PSECU Savings, then got certificate. All that was very easy. However, I've been to 3 departments and on hold for way too long trying to figure out how to add PODs to CDs. You can change your account to a "tentative trust" and add beneficiaries there. But if you have 3 it will divide your total account amount between all of them. Have not been able to put a specific one on each CD (yet). Getting fed up with being on hold so may try again later. If anyone knows the answer let me know.

Great Bank So Far

-Very fast membership application process.
-Free checking and saving account with free checks and atm fee reimbursement.
-Flawless customer services
-Competitive rates for CDs currently and deposits are allowed through auto transfers, which no other bank does.

There are downsides that don't bother me:
-Will pull on Chexsystem and Experian for first time membership applicants (soft pull on my case since I don't see it on the reports)
-Websites and mobile app layouts are quite complicated and requires time to get used to.
-Security limits on many things: mobile check deposit limit of $1000/day. I got locked out from the online account because I accessed it too many times.

Great bank overall !

My Experience with PSECU

In the summer of 2003 I opened a checking and savings account with PSECU. My main reason behind it was that it was the only ATM available on campus where I was attending college. I loathed fees and wanted to avoid them if at all possible. I didn't quite understand at the time that PSECU was an online only institution. A representative was at the university to help setup and open new accounts. Over the years I've found myself rather pleased with the fact that I made such a decision, even though it wasn't really researched at the time. With the growth of the internet, I was able to watch PSECU expand into areas that I never would have imagined a decade prior. I remember depositing a check online for the first time and mailing it in to them. I remember downloading the mobile app the first time that it became available. I remember depositing my first check through the same mobile app and the amazement that came with the idea that I no longer had to waste postage to mail it in.

Aside from the breakthrough technology, PSECU has offered a lot of other benefits, many of which they helped to pioneer. They waive a portion of your ATM fees each month. You can get up to $20/month waived if you have direct deposit into their checking account. This comes in very handy if you happen to move away from a convenient ATM location. The also offer automatic transactions that you can set up. This comes in both the form of Bill Payer as well as moving money between various accounts. For the longest time I used this function to automatically move money from my checking to savings account after each pay day. They also offer other things such as e-statements and forms, although most forms must still be printed out and mailed. Overall I have loved banking with PSECU and look forward to all the new things they have in store for us.

Excellent Account Management Control

At PSECU, I consistently feel able to control my funds. Cash is easily moved between savings, checking, and money market accounts. Savings, Checking, Money Market, and CD rates are fairly competitive compared to major bank institutions and customer support is easily accessible to move funds when CDs mature if you decide not to automatically renew the CD at the same maturity period. I would prefer to see some options to include my own categories for labeling transactions, but this is easily achieved with easy transaction information export. Other than the five dollars that must sit within my savings account as a 'membership fee' of sorts, I don't believe I've ever been charged a fee - I actually tend to receive a yearly bonus when PSECU shares their profits at the beginning of the year, based on what accounts and tools I take advantage of using. It's not a large bonus, but it's certainly appreciated.

Easiest Credit Union to work with

We joined this credit union through our workplace and it has been the easiest credit union to deal with. The customer service is fantastic and locally based. If we ever have any questions or problems, I do not hesitate to call because I know I will be able to understand them when they talk, they will be polite and courteous and will be able to answer and/or fix any problems we may be having. I have since referred my brother and parents to them for auto loans and they are just as pleased with the service as we are. The online features may transactions very easy as well.

Nice credit union

My husband and I have had excellent experiences working with PSECU. This is despite the fact that that we do not have a brick and mortar credit union to go to. Their customer service has been exceptional, and they make it super easy to do long distance banking. They reimburse fees for ATM withdrawals that are taken at other institution's ATMs. One time we had to pay cash for a large purchase, and customer service at PSECU made it super easy by just removing the $300 withdrawal restriction, so we could easily get the cash we needed at the ATM. There aren't any charges for their checks, and we've been with them a long time with no complaints. They've kept up to date with technology, so it's easy to deal with them online, or calling their customer service.

Great Customer Servicse

I really like my credit union. They have some wonderful people working for them. Every branch I enter, I'm greeted warmly and the people are always helpful. I've never had to wait in line more than a couple of minutes. There have been a few times when I needed to call and I received the same level of customer service. While they have an online banking system, it's about the same as any other, I would imagine. I mostly use it to pay a few bills and check my balance.

PSECU is reliable and convenient

My experience banking with PSECU has been nothing short of flawless. My family has used PSECU to bank for as long as I can remember. My first checking and savings accounts were with PSECU and i have been banking with them ever since (over 20 years). Their customer service representatives are friendly and helpful. Their online banking capabilities have been greatly improved over the last few years and now online banking is simple and convenient. I'd highly recommend PSECU to anyone looking to switch financial institutions. I plan to bank with them forever.

PSECU for the win

I started banking with them more than ten years ago. The customer service has always been and continues to be the best I've ever dealt with in my experience. They are helpful and knowledgeable. The websit is easy to navigate. I have a checking and savings account with them, and I also got a car loan from them. It was easy to obtain and easy to make monthly payments. I would absolutely use them for a loan again.

PSECU treats their customers like human beings

My experience with Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union has been nothing but phenomenal, and has confirmed for me that I hope never to do business with any bank other than a SECU if I can help it. PSECU does not find senseless, obnoxious ways to squeeze more and more pennies out of their customers. Their customer service is excellent; it is easy to reach a competent representative without sitting through an insulting Q&A session with a robot. The people I deal with at this institution are actually happy to help with any issues I may have, and if they can't help, they show a genuine interest in finding me someone who can. Overall, the ethos of PSECU is that the money I deposit with them is MY money, not theirs, and that they have an obligation to continually renew the values that earned my business in the first place. Finally, I appreciate that they do not participate in predatory practices that put their customers' money at undue risk. Literally every good thing I've listed here I have found to be absent or the opposite at all other financial institutions I have used throughout my life. PSECU is a breath of fresh air.

Credit Unions are the way to go

I initially got hooked up with PSECU when I purchased my car. The dealer recommended I get my financing through them as their rates were the best in the area. I now use them as my go-to bank and I'm incredibly impressed with their service. The people are very nice and helpful. They are helpful with my checking and savings account questions any time I need them. They have decent services online. Overall, I would recommend them.

PSECU

I have had PSECU (Pennsylvania State Employee Credit Union) since I was sixteen. My favorite part of being a member of their institution is that when I deposit a check to my account remotely, the money is there to immediately use. There isn't a 3-5 day waiting period like there is with other banks. I also like that they have a courtesy overdraft policy. If you write a check out and there isn't enough money in your account, they will allow the check to still clear, and then they will only charge you a small fee of $30 for it. I don't know about anyone else, but bouncing a check is so embarrassing and there courtesy feature eliminates that headache. PSECU's customer service is also second to none. They are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. I have had to call multiple times after hours and they are also there to answer and with a minimal wait time.

Great Credit Union

I have been using this credit union for many years and it has always been the best. Whenever I experience a problem, they resolve the situation quickly. When traveling overseas, they were easy to deal with back in the 1990's. They were so accommodating in setting up an account for my daughter to use while abroad. They waive their fees for ATM transactions. I have used them for a car loan for my daughter, and it was so easy to do. I have an IRA and multiple other accounts with them.

Online Process

I think the online needs a lot of work . It lockes you out to much.

PSECU Is Reliable With Financial Transactions

I am pretty happy with PSECU. I have a checking account with them that also serves as a debit account. I have never had a problem with them involving my money or any transaction I made. I did have a problem that involved them but they handled it very professionally and was a great help to me. Someone stole my debit card and they managed to get my PIN number as well. They then made two false deposits into my account and immediately withdrew the money. I didn't have much in at the time which is why they made the false deposits. This happened in the middle of the night. PSECU called me the next day to ask about the situation. Since I had nothing to do with it they investigated the issue and got to the bottom of it. I lost no money and was not penalized for anything. They gave me a new checking account and debit card since my information was jeopardized. I am very happy they handled it the way they did. It is not their fault someone stole my card and my PIN number. I am also happy that they were not accusatory towards me. As for the rest of using their services, I have had no problems. I don't have a withdrawal minimum like a bank account I used to have. I am not charged for not using my debit card enough. Hopefully I have no future problems but I am confident that it will be managed well if I do.

PSECU is Willing to Help

I currently do not have the best credit. In fact it is bad enough that most banks and credit unions won't give me a loan. My credit was never messed up due to using a credit card. I never had one. But I do have an unpaid health bill and several other bills that have gone to collections that I have not yet paid. So they put my credit into the poor zone. I needed a vehicle just so I could get to work so I could then pay those back bills and try to fix my credit. I am fortunate as PSECU was willing to give me that auto loan. My interest is relatively high, but I can't really complain given that my options were very limited. I think part of why they accepted me for a loan is that I do have prior history with them. They were my credit union when I was in college a decade ago. Anyway, I was starting to lose hope in being able to get a car loan. I was starting to think of extremes like a pay day loan, which has really high interest rates. I went into PSECU after I had tried several banks. I am not sure why I decided to go to banks first. Credit unions serve many of the same functions and are often better at meeting their members' needs. Anyway, I explained why my credit was poor. That I was injured when I was not insured and that I did not have the money to pay the bill at the time. That I was laid off from a job and was not able to pay a few bills when that happened. That my credit rating is not due to me being an irresponsible user of credit cards. I then stated that I have a job pending if I can get a vehicle and gave them my prospective employer information. I just needed a car so I could get to that job. I believe they may have bent some rules. I did not technically have a job. It was a job I would have if I could get a car. But I could not get a car without a loan. They were able to give me the loan and from that point I was able to start getting my life back to normal. So I am very grateful for PSECU.

PSECU Review

The Pennsylvania State Employee Credit Union (PSECU) is a great credit union to deal with. Unlike many major banks today, they do not charge bogus fees for such services as opening a checking account. The credit union will even refund some ATM fees charged by other vendors. PSECU is a member owned credit union. Each year, the credit union returns a portion of the profits back to their members in the form of a dividend. Also, their loan rates are cheaper than most major banks.

Spiteful Employees

I have been with PSECU for several years and I have had more negative experiences than positives. When dealing with any business, you never know who you will get on the other end of the phone, and with PSECU I tend to get females that have let the imaginary power they feel that they have go to their heads. Again there are some very nice people that work there, but they also have their share of spiteful ignorant individuals. I recently began to receive "larger than my norm (in their words)" deposits. Well for some reason that was a red flag to them and I was also making larger more frequent purchases. Well my card was declined several times when making these purchases because of the various fraud alerts they have set up. I would call them to have my daily limit increased and fraud alerts taken off and still would have a problem. When I would call PSECU, they would tell me it was declined due to a different type of alert and that they would maintenance my account. Well I just became frustrated with it and began to use a different bank for my deposits and purchases, to avoid the issues all together, but it was very frustrating and outright ridiculous. My most recent experience that has brought me to this review is also causing me to look elsewhere for my banking completely. My account is in my maiden name and has been since I opened it several years ago. I have paid my mortgage out of this account for many years as well. Well when I began to receive the large deposits in my account they were sent in my married name, so I received a call from one of the their “wonderfully spiteful representatives” telling me that they would send back any wires that came in my married named, so I needed to change the name on my account. I told her that I would love to change the name on the account (by the way I hyphenated my married name on to my maiden so it is very clear to see my maiden name to match it to my account), but the bank is an hour away from me and only open during my working hours, which causes a dilemma for me getting to them in order to change my name. The only other option is for me to mail and or fax a copy of my SS Card and license. I would be a fool to do so; anybody will tell not to fax, mail, or email a copy of either of those items unless you want someone to steal your identity! So I told the lady I would not be mailing or faxing my information, but I would try to get out there the next time I had a day off and they are open. She assured me that any wires that I had coming in with my maiden name only would be returned. I told her I understood and I made a phone call to remove my maiden name from the wires to avoid the issue (I ended up having the wires go to a different bank any way after all the issues of my card declining). So last week I received a letter from my mortgage company stating my electronic check was returned stating “no account/unable to locate account”. That is funny since I have been paying my mortgage from this account for years. This was spite from the “darling” woman at PSECU.

They can do no wrong

I haev been using this CU for over 20 years and have never had a bad experience. Multiple vehicle loans and account types have always given me near the best rates with customer service to back it up. Mobile apps that allow for check deposit, balance checking, online bill pay (has been here LONG before any of the big boys) have kept me a member for a very long time. Customer service has always been top notch. From unlocking passwords to answering questions I could not ask for more.

I can't think of where they will innovate next but I look forward to it.

Worth Keeping Our Accounts, Even Living Far Away

PSECU is a wonderful financial institution.  Their customer service has done an excellent job handling occasional issues over the past 10 years we've been with them.  For example, when an internet service provider (ISP) charged our credit card for a service we never received, I spent several hours on the phone with the ISP and they would not refund the money.  One call to PSECU and 20 minutes later, PSECU credited the disputed amount back to me and said they would take care of working things out with the ISP.  I never heard anything more and didn't care about it, because PSECU had already made things right with us immediately.

We now live in California--the nearest branch is in PA--and we've stayed with them for our primary checking and savings accounts because their online banking is phenomenal!  Could not give a higher recommendation!