Provident Credit Union (CA) Reviews

Worst Bank Ever

I don't trust banks to store my money so I use them as an intermediary for digital transaction as I keep most money elsewhere . I was just charged 7 overdraft fees in a row coming to almost $200. Ever since I have been a member of this bank I have made it clear that I want my card to be declined instead of overdraft charges to be made. I have stated this several times and I was just told for the FIRST TIME there is no overdraft protection for anyone at all. Nobody has ever made this clear. Not once.
Along with this, there was one time I spent literally 4 hours speaking to 13 different people on card services because my card was frozen for some reason in the past. Each time I was told my card was fixed, it was not.
This bank is a nightmare and this overdraft thing has finally convinced to take my money elsewhere and I strongly urge anyone else to do the same.
t(-_-t)

Great employees

To The President/CEO
Provident Credit Union
Redwood City, CA

Ref: San Ramon Branch Employees

Dear Sir:
It gives me great pleasure to come to you with a review for the San Ramon Branch and the outstanding team of
employees that demonstrates pure professionalism.

Elisha Fiel: Branch Manager, I can not say enough about her, how warm she is to the elderly that come into the branch, always
willing and showing compassion ready to jump in to help whatever needed. "Way to go Elisha"

Veronica Ramirez: This lady is like family, happy, smiling and one of the original employees that has been at that location from day
one. She has the patience of "JOB" from the Bible. Always asking how's your day going, if you say not that great, after just being around her very positive attitude will make you feel so much better before you leave the credit union. "Peace and Blessings to you
Veronica."

Johndel Braga , Shalina Yares, and Analisa Wayrynen are fairly new to the branch but still you feel that welcome camaraderie, outstanding personalities and a great fit to the branch. What a delight to have them there. "You Ladies and Guy Rock". Keep doing your best .

Last Mr. President: you should be honored to have such a wonderful group of employees taking such great care of every person
coming into that branch. It's because of them that your doors will stay open.

Respectfully,
Francesca Ferrer

Contempt For Members

Provident has decided to completely block all access to your own financial data! With no warning they have blacked services like Mint or PersonalCapital from being able to access online banking. Even the service they (still) advertise on their site Quicken WebConnect is broken.

Want to aggregate your financial information across multiple banks with PersonalCapital? NO
Want to use Mint to track bill payments and reminders? NO
Want to use Quickbooks Online or Xero to manage your business? NO

They also completely bungled the roll out of this 'upgrade' with absolutely ZERO communication to members either before OR after the change. When you call and talk to them they give you a BS line about 'hackers' and rudely hang up.

If their concern was actually security based, they could implement any one (or more) of many industry standard security procedures and still give members access to their own data. How about 2FA with a OTP? How about application specific passwords for aggregator sites? How about authorization of specific IPs/DNS sites? How about direct API connection to the services clients use?

This change is completely short sited and will discourage anyone who lives in the connected world of 2017 to leave. It is not 1992, and while I can live with an online banking site that looks like it is 1992, I can't stay at a bank that sets up a walled garden and blocks customers access to their own data.

This is an extinction level mistake.

Awesome Auto Loan

Obtaining an auto loan with Provident was an excellent experience. Colleen assisted me through the entire process and she was thoroughly amazing in all aspects. She was detailed oriented, competent and very friendly, constantly offering to go above her call of duty. See, choosing an $85,000 pre-owned, very specific automobile is no easy task, but she offered to speak with sellers, both private and dealers, which I readily accepted. Colleen helped pave the way for easy buyer-seller negotiation and helped make the transaction super smooth. One vehicle seller was thoroughly impressed after speaking with Colleen, she decided to open an account at Provident herself. Colleen was such a wonderful person to deal with at Provident. Please don't change a thing. Major kudos to Provident for having a winner of an employee.

How To Join If You Live Outside CA?

This CU is supposed to be one you can join by living anywhere. Yet it doesn't say which qualification method or how much it costs. How do you join if NOT in CA and how much does it cost to join that organization in order to qualify for Provident?

Provident Credit Union Restricts Transfer Amounts As Of 4/24/13

I received this email over the weekend from Provident CU:

"Our records indicate that you have set up an external account in our online banking system to transfer funds to/from your Provident accounts.

Good news! On April 24th, in-bound transfers from another institution will be completed within three business days instead of five — a full two days faster. Out-bound transfers will remain at 2 business days.

IMPORTANT: The maximum transfer amount per day is changing from $25,000 to $3,000, and the maximum transfer amount total every 30 days is changing from $34,999 to $6,000."

Great Credit Union

A great primary bank for savvy online banking users.

Solid rewards checking rate.  One of the only non-megabanks anywhere with direct connect functionality for Quicken and company (and for free, no less -- go find that from a big bank).  Easy to use mobile check deposit app.  Clean website.  Easy online account opening.  I live on the east coast and this is my primary bank without having ever set foot in a branch.  Only minor issue is slow ACH posting time compared to some others, but that's no big deal when compared with what you're getting in return.

Incompetent And A Very Very Bad Bank

I have a home loan with provident credit union.this is the worst bank to get your loan with. stay away from this bank.
Very very Incompetent to say the least.
Provident credit union is an example how not to run a Bank.
DISASTER--- VERY VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE ... WALMART makes you feel like a king compared to this bunk.. i mean Bank.
SCOTT the real estate Head will never call you back.( 5 phone calls and messages over a 1 month time period)and this bank has my home loan since 5 years.. this guy scott has a job because of people like me... what a scam.
1. the people that work in the realestate loan service department:
are either away on leave, miscommunicate, never get back to you, give you wrong information, mess up the first time, redo the paperwork, messup again.. on and on... COMEDY OF ERRORS;
I hope this Bank fails and the FED takes it over, seriously!

Good Service, Good Rewards Checking

Very competitive rewards checking account. The call center provided first order of checks free although in the first branch I went to in San Francisco the agent said they were not free. (Odd because first order of checks is free on their other accounts.) Issued check card with name etc immediately. Requires 1 ACH credit or debit. 10 signature or pin transactions.Easy.  Good website with ACH transfer.  CD rates not too bad considering this economy.

Don't Do Business With Provident CU

Provident CU's stringent lending practices denied me credit for a $26K loan, even though I earn $200K in salary and have excellent credit.  Their rationale was that 25% of my pay was reliant on a bonus that I have consistently received in the past.  I told them about my bonus from the start of the process.  After spending a lot of time getting all of my records in order and working with their loan staff, I wasted my time with them.  Go somewhere else where you won't be yanked around.

Murky Policies

I was a member here for six years, when one day they decided to stop accepting checks from my biggest client. I pointed out that they'd been happily accepting these checks every month for over a year, but they still refused to take it, and couldn't explain why. The final straw was when the manager told me I could still deposit the checks if I used the ATM, but I couldn't use the teller -- and again, she couldn't explain why. This is the MANAGER. I closed my account on the spot.