Provident Credit Union (CA) Reviews

Contempt For Members

Provident has decided to completely block all access to your own financial data! With no warning they have blacked services like Mint or PersonalCapital from being able to access online banking. Even the service they (still) advertise on their site Quicken WebConnect is broken.

Want to aggregate your financial information across multiple banks with PersonalCapital? NO
Want to use Mint to track bill payments and reminders? NO
Want to use Quickbooks Online or Xero to manage your business? NO

They also completely bungled the roll out of this 'upgrade' with absolutely ZERO communication to members either before OR after the change. When you call and talk to them they give you a BS line about 'hackers' and rudely hang up.

If their concern was actually security based, they could implement any one (or more) of many industry standard security procedures and still give members access to their own data. How about 2FA with a OTP? How about application specific passwords for aggregator sites? How about authorization of specific IPs/DNS sites? How about direct API connection to the services clients use?

This change is completely short sited and will discourage anyone who lives in the connected world of 2017 to leave. It is not 1992, and while I can live with an online banking site that looks like it is 1992, I can't stay at a bank that sets up a walled garden and blocks customers access to their own data.

This is an extinction level mistake.

Awesome Auto Loan

Obtaining an auto loan with Provident was an excellent experience. Colleen assisted me through the entire process and she was thoroughly amazing in all aspects. She was detailed oriented, competent and very friendly, constantly offering to go above her call of duty. See, choosing an $85,000 pre-owned, very specific automobile is no easy task, but she offered to speak with sellers, both private and dealers, which I readily accepted. Colleen helped pave the way for easy buyer-seller negotiation and helped make the transaction super smooth. One vehicle seller was thoroughly impressed after speaking with Colleen, she decided to open an account at Provident herself. Colleen was such a wonderful person to deal with at Provident. Please don't change a thing. Major kudos to Provident for having a winner of an employee.

How To Join If You Live Outside CA?

This CU is supposed to be one you can join by living anywhere. Yet it doesn't say which qualification method or how much it costs. How do you join if NOT in CA and how much does it cost to join that organization in order to qualify for Provident?

Worst Bank I Have Ever Dealt With.

I am extremely anal about the balance in my account and getting a NSF fee is just not acceptable. I had an unauthorized charge on my debit card which resulted in (3) $35 NSF fees. The charge was credited back to my account after the vendor realized it was an error. The vendor gave me a letter to the bank stating that it was not my fault and that fees should be refunded. The bank said that they will not refund their fees. I would have to chase the vendor. Not their problem. The vendor will not refund a fee that should not have been charged. And the bank will not refund me $105 to my checking account. The bank did not care that $105 was a huge amount out of my small paycheck. The are all about the bottom line. They could not care less about their customer. I will NEVER do business with them again.....but I doubt they really care.

Great Credit Union

A great primary bank for savvy online banking users.

Solid rewards checking rate.  One of the only non-megabanks anywhere with direct connect functionality for Quicken and company (and for free, no less -- go find that from a big bank).  Easy to use mobile check deposit app.  Clean website.  Easy online account opening.  I live on the east coast and this is my primary bank without having ever set foot in a branch.  Only minor issue is slow ACH posting time compared to some others, but that's no big deal when compared with what you're getting in return.

Incompetent And A Very Very Bad Bank

I have a home loan with provident credit union.this is the worst bank to get your loan with. stay away from this bank.
Very very Incompetent to say the least.
Provident credit union is an example how not to run a Bank.
DISASTER--- VERY VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE ... WALMART makes you feel like a king compared to this bunk.. i mean Bank.
SCOTT the real estate Head will never call you back.( 5 phone calls and messages over a 1 month time period)and this bank has my home loan since 5 years.. this guy scott has a job because of people like me... what a scam.
1. the people that work in the realestate loan service department:
are either away on leave, miscommunicate, never get back to you, give you wrong information, mess up the first time, redo the paperwork, messup again.. on and on... COMEDY OF ERRORS;
I hope this Bank fails and the FED takes it over, seriously!

Good Service, Good Rewards Checking

Very competitive rewards checking account. The call center provided first order of checks free although in the first branch I went to in San Francisco the agent said they were not free. (Odd because first order of checks is free on their other accounts.) Issued check card with name etc immediately. Requires 1 ACH credit or debit. 10 signature or pin transactions.Easy.  Good website with ACH transfer.  CD rates not too bad considering this economy.

Don't Do Business With Provident CU

Provident CU's stringent lending practices denied me credit for a $26K loan, even though I earn $200K in salary and have excellent credit.  Their rationale was that 25% of my pay was reliant on a bonus that I have consistently received in the past.  I told them about my bonus from the start of the process.  After spending a lot of time getting all of my records in order and working with their loan staff, I wasted my time with them.  Go somewhere else where you won't be yanked around.

Murky Policies

I was a member here for six years, when one day they decided to stop accepting checks from my biggest client. I pointed out that they'd been happily accepting these checks every month for over a year, but they still refused to take it, and couldn't explain why. The final straw was when the manager told me I could still deposit the checks if I used the ATM, but I couldn't use the teller -- and again, she couldn't explain why. This is the MANAGER. I closed my account on the spot.