State Department Federal Credit Union Reviews

Problems, Moving Goalposts And Time Wasted

I tried to invest in a CD but was stopped by this FCU's illogical and changing "policies". The final straw was their asking for a copy of my tax return. I pointed out that I was not applying for a loan, I was going to lend them money. When it became clear they do not comprehend the difference between the two, I pulled the plug. I wonder how they stay in business when they turn away potential customers.

New Savings And 5Yr CD

Starting on Jan 22, I began the process of becoming a member in order to open a CD plus a savings account, which is a requirement of all members. During the two weeks from contact, they requested I resubmit photos of my SS card and utility bill. They claim the photos where not clear. They looked fine to me. FYI, no problem with my Drivers Lic. download. No live person to ask why the documents were unclear. Plus, when you call the main number, they do not have a department that handles new accounts. Therefore, you can not talk to a live person. I never had to furnish all these documents to open an account on line before. In addition, I also made a promise to pay $8.00 to their charity, which I did. In addition, they promised the rate would not go down, but they did. As of today, they are requesting I resend the utility bill. Which means they need another 3 days to review
In addition, they stated my application will be terminated if the documents are not received within 4 days. I would not recommend this CU. I went on PEN AIR this morning, and instantly became a member. No fee to give to a charity. Plus the rate was higher. Very disappointed with SDFCU, They are not up to date on tech.support.

STAY FAR AWAY

They will hurt you. They will lie. They will make multiple credit pulls as their software does not work correctly.

Please stay away and go somewhere else as they DO NOT WANT NEW MEMBERS.

$30 Charge For Closing My Accounts

I was charged a $30 fee for closing my accounts. They didn’t even have the decency to let me know I would be charged

SDFCU Doesn't Care About Fraud Prevention

I just had a fraudulent card on my debit card. I called to report it, but they won't take any action based on a call, and there is no way to report it electronically either. I have my account set to give me alerts for all charges, but this charge happened two days ago, and I just got the notification. they have an on-line form, but you have to print it out and mail it. when you hit submit, it just takes you to a page to print it out. of course, you can fax it, like anybody today uses fax machines. to add insult to injury, when I cancelled the card, they said they would send me a new card even though I don't want one, because of their poor security. the only way to not have a card is to cancel the account, which of course I am going to do. I'm sure it won't be an easy process with this company. Customer service is poor, and fraud prevention is non-existent.

Frustrating

When you call for help the person you speak to, unless it is a very simple question, can't access the account or help. You have to wait 24 hours for a callback. When the matter is urgent this is very frustrating.

AVOID State Department FCU -- They CHARGE You $2 Even For "Free" Co-Op Atms!

State Dept FCU is BAD for everyday banking if you don't live nearby. They're the ONLY Credit Union I'm aware of that CHARGES YOU AN ATM FEE of $2 TO USE EVEN A CO-OP ATM! Their language (hidden deep in their website that's impossible to find on its own without a google search) says that if you use a Co-Op ATM you won't be charged a "surchage" but you WILL be charged a "nominal" "$2 Transaction fee" for each transaction you do via a Co-Op "surcharge-free" ATM (if it's a non-Co-Op ATM, you'll be charged that $2 Transaction fee PLUS their ATM surcharge PLUS the other bank's ATM surcharge). But even for staying on the Credit Union Co-Op network, they STILL charge you a $2 "transaction fee" for each transaction you do on the "surcharge-free" Co-Op Network.

Wow. That's BAD. So they don't "surcharge" you, they "transaction fee" you instead. I've NEVER heard of this from any other Credit Union doing this, and I belong to 4 of them, and research credit unions all the time. Co-Op ATMs are supposed to be fee-free for credit union members (as long as it's a Co-Op ATM, and the credit union is on the Co-Op ATM network). Not here. That's just scummy.

I was considering opening an account here as well, and perhaps in the future when my current IRA expires, moving it to State Dept FCU. But not anymore. I have no problem banking with institutions not in my area... but I don't like getting charged $2 each time (especially when no other credit union does it) for doing things like deposting or withdrawing money from Co-Op (supposedly surcharge-free) ATMs.

So consider yourself warned, to read the fine print about all the hidden fees they charge. Unless it was an exceptional rate and you never touch the money for years at a time, I'd avoid this place. There's NO reason for them to charge this fee (when sticking with Co-Op ATMs). NO other credit union I'm aware of does this.

AVOID.

5 Yr. Cd State Dept. FCU

Just opened a 5 year cd (2.27%apy), with State Dept. FCU, was a very easy process.  Everything was done by fax and the funds were taken directly from a money market acct.   The EWP is 180 days, the wording regarding EWP was very consumer friendly (unlike some banks & cu's).  At these rates, everything should be easy & consumer friendly!