Sunflower Bank, N.A. Reviews

Worst Banking Experience Ever!

1) Sunflower Bank wouldn't give me my money on the spot, upon closing my account.
2) Sunflower Bank deducted $5.03 from my balance for a "fee" which couldn't explained.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Had a CD account at Sunflower Bank that matured one week ago. Renewal rate was too low so went to withdraw my funds at Sunflower Bank on Woodway Dr. in Houston, TX. I’d found a much better rate elsewhere.

This was near 12:30pm on Tuesday, 1018/22.
I was told the manager was out to lunch, that no one else could sign the check, that I’d have to return or have the check mailed (nope!).

Asked if I could be called once that was done.
Two hours later received call saying my cashier's check was ready but when I went and got it, it was $5.03 less than what my balance was.
Was told it was a "fee" and there was no way of avoiding it as it was the cost of closing my account.

I asked for the manager but he was already gone again, so he'd made a very brief appearance, signed my check then split again.

Was told there was nothing that could be done so I asked for name and number of who to contact at Sunflower Bank as to complain.

Was given the name of Rannie Hewitt, Regional Manager. When I called, Ted Pearson, Branch Manager answered, said the Regional Manager was out of the office until Thursday, which was two days later.

Immediately typed up and sent an email to the both of them explaining how I'd been treated at the Houston branch, adding that I was told it was a good thing I didn't miss the maturity date because much more would have been taken from my funds.
Didn't add that after I'd left the bank, was on the road, received a call asking me to return to sign the closing document(s).
So, the closing wasn't even handled right. Totally unprofessional, every step of the way.

My email was sent last Tuesday so tomorrow will be a full week since my experience, my call & email. There’s been no absolutely no acknowledgement whatsoever--no phone call or reply to my email. I'm being totally ignored as there's obviously no concern on the part of Sunflower about the treatment of customers or reputation.

I've never before had a bank tell me they wouldn't give me my money as I'm standing there. Had to burn more gas, waste two hours in that area of town as I waited.

Also, $5.03 isn't a lot of money but to me it's the principle of the matter. Have never had money taken from me for no reason other than that Sunflower Bank is going to get its last bit of $ from exiting customers, just because they can.

Really glad to no longer have any more business with this shady bank and can only warn others to stay away from them.

My account was originally with Pioneer Bank at this location, which was great, but changed over to Sunflower Bank some time ago.
If I could give 0 stars I would.

Awful Customer Service!

Since Pioneer bank was bought out by Sunflower bank it has been a nightmare. I have not spoke to one person that banks with them that actually likes the changes. Our local branch in Hico is fantastic and helps in any way possible. However, when you call the customer service number they do not help, are snide and hateful. We have considered changing banks because of it, if it wasn’t for the fact that we love the local branch ladies, we would have pulled all 7 accounts we have there.
I was “trying” to help my husband log into our joint account and it would not work, I called the after hours number and from the beginning she was not helpful AT ALL! It’s a joint account (all of our accounts are) and they had to speak to him before….why exactly…again joint account! Anyways, she was not even able to help me and told me I needed to call the bank. I’m still not sure why my login will not work for him, it did when it was Pioneer….ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! When I set up my account it took the customer service over 3 hours to get mine to actually work.
And if and when you can actually login to the app it’s almost impossible to navigate, y’all seriously need to make some improvements and maybe consider training your customer service people to be more accommodating.
And I would love to know why do you have to have different 2 apps if you own a business? So much for banking made easier…

Theft Via Extortion

I opened a no fee account. 3 months later they charged a fee. I paid it. They said if I changed to online there would be no additional fees. 3 months later, more fees and penalty. They said they changed the account parameters and I had to pay it before I could close the account. If I don't pay it, it's negative on my credit report. I consider this THEFT.

A Sad Bank

Sunflower/1870 Bank bought out our local bank - First National of Santa Fe and it's been downhill ever since - closed most of the ATMs and branch locations so whole sections of the city have no available bank location. Don't monitor the remaining ATMs and machines often run out of cash during weekends or even week days sometimes. Customer service on the phone puts you on hold for long periods. Local customer service in the few remaining branches remains OK because they kept old bank personnel, but it does not make up for the overall decline. Sunflower's President getting arrested for driving on a suspended license and past DWI arrest should have been a warning.

Perhaps The Worst Banking Experience I’Ve Had In 65 Years

I’ve visited Sunflower twice. When I set up a personal account and a business account in August of 2020 the bank official was positively rude. I inquired about the account options available and was told that these would be reviewed after setting up the accounts. Only after signing paperwork was I informed that their was a monthly fee for maintaining a business checking and $30 fees for closing any account prior to six months. Dishonest? I guess they need this fee since it appears that 100% of their customers loathe them.
They are also so incompetent that they can’t set up online banking for me. I’m closing both accounts.

Lost Documents

This bank first did not properly file documents so I could register it after purchasing it in Colorado.They also did not send documents to the State of Missouri when requested making it impossible to register my vehicle. They sent the title to an old address after the loan was paid in full and now expect me to pay for a new one. Never do business with this bank.

The Worst Bank

Sunflower Bank is the worst financial institution I ever known. Abusive, deceitful management staff. They force long-standing, trustworthy customers close their accounts without explanation. Never recommend this bank to no one.