Tropical Financial Credit Union Reviews

Would Not Recommend.

The bank gave away $1,545 of my money, without my authorization, on a debit card I had closed, to a Venmo account which was not mine. Several phone calls, branch visit, online security requests, letter to CEO and an email and finally received a voice message saying "they had several phone conversations with me and even talked with the CEO (not true) business accounts are not insured and maybe they can get a "charge off" refund." I did not make the charge - they did. I have never been treated with such a lack of respect. I do not recommend doing business with this financial institution.

Tropical Review

This is my credit union. I have been a member for about 2 years and the overall experience has been pretty good. The only complaint I have with it is that the overdraft fees are a bit ridiculous for even the smallest dollar amount over drawn.

AVOID This Credit Union!!

The ONLY way we ended up here is this is who approved our vehicle loan which we purchased approx. 15 months ago.  There was some confusion on my part as to the actual loan payment amount and I could not locate my loan documents that were put into storage.  I was paying $414 a month and on occasion I would pay $425 to $450 in order to pay it off sooner.  Approx 10 months into payments, I was notified we had no insurance and needed to provide them with proof of coverage, which we did.  5 different times!!!  We were finally told they received it, then the next month they charged our account over $4,000 for auto insurance!!!  We called them yet again and yet again provided them with proof of coverage!  They refunded the insurance as we had never lapsed, just had changed carriers.  The next month, in Oct. 2011, they reported us as 30 days late!!  We called yet again and were told that it was because of the added insurance and that we didn't send in the difference, but that we needed to dispute it and they would remove it.  We did dispute it with 2 credit bureaus and they did not remove it and reported it as accurate.  After many phone calls to Angel Gonzalez, who is worthless by the way.  He does not do what he says he will.  He does not follow up and take care of what he says he will.  We also spoke with a Mr. Humes in collections who seemed very confused as to what our payment was as well.  He kept referring us back to Mr. Gonzalez.  Approx 6 weeks ago Mr. Gonzalez told my husband he would get a copy of the sales contract to see the correct payment amount because we still thought the added insurance was calculated in there.  We never heard back from him.  Then we started receiving letters saying we were past due and to submit $0.00. ????  What???  I called to find out what that was about and they didn't know.  Just talked to Mr. Gonzalez again, 2 weeks ago.  He said he had the sales contract and the payment in fact was $426 a month, not $414 as I thought.  He said he would mail it out to me.  Here it is October 19th and never got a copy of it from Mr. Gonzalez at Tropical Financial Credit Union.  I just received yet another notification that TFCU has now for a second time charged us with being 30 days late!!  We haven't had even one late payment in 10 years and this credit union is single handedly ruining our credit.  We need to purchase another vehicle and have been fighting this for months, but only get erroneous information and no return calls!!  Mr. Gonzalez told me last week that he would speak with his boss who was on vacation about removing the 30 day lates due to all the confusion and lack of follow up on their end.  Guess what.  Its been a week and no one got back with us or removed the now 2 30 day late reportings!!

Rude Customer Service

TFCU has very rude customer service. Everything was going well, I used to go deposit money every other week until one afternoon I was about to make a regular deposit a manager at the branch started asking me for id to deposit money into my account. I told him that I wasn't interested on knowing how much I had, I just want to deposit money into the account I provided him. I refused to provided him with my id because I noticed he was being rude and I've never seen a bank asking you for id to deposit money unless you're going to withdraw money. We got into an argument and he told me that he wasn't going to let me deposit money if I din't provide him with an id. The results, I close my personal and business account. I'll never go back to TFCU. I'm better off with Citibank, I've been banking with them for about 5 years and no problem so far. Excellent customer service.

Better Businness Bureau :Tropical Financial Credit Union Not A Accredited Businness ***** RATED F ******

Prospective customers and current customers of Tropical Financial Credit Union,having more problems with Tropical to be posted shortly,went to file a complaint with the Better Businness Bureau,guess what they already are rated F ,they are not a accredited businness,think about joining another Credit Union.

One Day Car Loan Approval Took Over A Week !!

Submitted an on-line application over the weekend and got a confirmation e-mail indicating I would be contacted in one business day.  Five days later my pre-arranged deal opportunities for cars I was considering had slipped away.  Contacted TFCU for the status of my application and was told it had not begun the approval process and I would be contacted later that same day.  Guess what??  No contact.  No issues with my application, they simply dropped the ball - TWICE, and it cost ME.

High rates

UPDATE: A representative from TCFU contacted me to say that they were in error for charging my account. He apologized and even called me. I don't know what this means for others who might get hit by this chage, but I thought it only fair to note that they did taker this step with me even though I had already terminated my account.

#########

I had a Tropical Financial Credit Union account for many years and always held a balance well over $1,000. Recently I had to close the account because I moved out of state. Prior to closing, I moved the bulk of my funds out into my new bank before closing. But because I was under their $1,000 limit before I could get the account closed, they charged me a $6 "maintanence" fee. This was after a representative assured me I would not be charged fees of any kind on closing.

This was not neccessarily a big deal for me, although after being a good customer for a number of years, you'd think they might look the other way. But for anyone who has $1,000 or less to their name, it seems excessive to charge someone for not having enough money in their bank. One of the reasons people do business with credit unions instead of banks is to avoid the assortment of fees those banks use against their customers. How disappointing that TCFU chooses to do the same.

Mortgage Frustration

I went with Tropical for my mortgage company since the rate was lower than most and they had been around for so many years. My husband and I are strong borrowers: Credit scores in the 770's, reliable varifiable income, extremely low income to debt ratio, no revolving debt, it should have been an easy process.

The appraisal has been a nightmare. First, Tropical used an appraisal company more than 100 miles away. I paid the $385 dollars and waited. One week later, they informed me that since it was so far away, I need to pay an additional $115 dollars. I next day aired the extra money. Another week went by until they actually came to the property. The kicker here is that they didn't send anyone 100 miles to the property, they sent a local person as a sub. The house appraised "HIGHER" than we are paying (the seller bought another place and 10 months later, really needed to sell). Now Tropcal wants questions answered about the appraisal, and it has been another week now that I have been waiting for the appraisal company to respond. I close in less than a week, and it just might not happen.

The appraisal process is unbelievable. I have to pay for it, but am not allowed to speak to the company or be given a time frame it must be completed by. The appraisal report came back 5 days ago, but because Tropical has questions about it, I am not allowed to know what they are or what is in the report. All I can do is wait and pray I don't lose the $8,000.

Wish I had gone with another lender and more importantly another appraisal company had been selected on my behalf.