United Nations Federal Credit Union Reviews

CAN't ACCESS MY MONEY

I have been trying to have my joint account separated from my kid because she's over 18. It's taking forever for UNFCU to process the retitling. There is money frozen in the account and we can't pay bills. It's over a month now. After submitting documents, l received an email that they would contact me if there was any extra information needed 4 weeks ago. Last week l called again to find out the position regarding the retitling. I was told that the documents that l sent in secure email with a pdf version, couldn't be opened and yet on the 9/27/2019 l spoke to someone from the bank who opened the documents. Had l not contacted them to enquire about the position l wouldn't have heard from them till today. I was asked again to send the documents in pdf. I sent on the 9/30/2019. I am contemplating on closing the account going that it may be the fastest way to get the money in that account. They are not in a hurry to do anything. NB it's not the entire bank it's departments. The accounts is efficient but this department that deals with retitling is super ineffective, they are in their own world.

UNFCU Is Really Terrible

The customer service is the most bureaucratic that I have ever encountered. Nothing is customer oriented. Opening an account was arduous, getting responses was difficult, being put on hold for 10 minutes was routine, and finally closing an account was nutty. After answering 4 security questions, closing an account for a small amount of money(under $100) took 3 emails and sending a secure signed document back. This after they dunned me for "account inactivity". Used to be , you put your money in an institution and they were happy when you left it there. Now they find ways to take it.

Poor Customer Service, Broken Online Services

I tried to join UNFCU a couple of times, and finally jumped through all the right hoops a couple of months ago. The process was very slow, and when I tried to follow up on any holdups, I encountered my first taste of UNFCU customer service. I have not had a single positive interaction with them, which is one of the reasons I'll be closing my account. Also, their online integration to Quicken (for Mac at least) is broken, and you have to download the transactions manually. Unfortunately, that section of their website is also broken, so you can't download the transactions. When I inquired about it, they said that their I.t. people knew about the issue, and had no ETA for resolution. I used my debit card for small purchases to get the higher interest rate, and they weren't being deducted from the available balance, and I was told that they do not show pending transactions.

Their poor customer service, wonky online systems, and extremely slow processes make this a very unattractive CU to do business with. There are CUs with better product offerings, systems, and customer service that I'd recommend giving your business to.

Update: I requested a copy of my ChexSystems report, and UNFCU pulled it FOUR times when I joined. I have no negative items, but much like credit inquiries, Chex INQs can cause issues when opening other accounts down the road. Something to be careful of if you choose to join this CU.

If You Are After Chip And PIN, Look Elsewhere

Don't bother. The only reason I joined was to get their credit card with PIN priority, as I travel a lot and having a credit card with rewards, no international fees, and true PIN priory would be highly beneficial to me personally. Something as simple as a credit card application was needlessly time consuming and required gratuitous financial disclosures. Even with a credit score upwards of 800 and proving income that would certainly meet minimal requirements, I was asked to disclose 5 years worth of tax documentation and send copies of recent pay stubs. I understand a lender has to do their homework before issuing a credit line to any customer, but UNFCU treats a credit card application like a mortgage and does not offer anything close to modern credit card application process. Becoming a member was also an archaic process. I sent them a few emails on the subject but never gained a response. Poor customer service, old banking practices, and you can buy your way into membership for $10 USD. If you are looking for a credit card with PIN priority, look elsewhere!…

Horrible Experience

I wish I could give them 0 star.

Do yourself a favor and find a good bank. Dealing with UNFCU is a nightmare. You will never receive your debit card. When you call them to ask the reason, you have to wait for several minutes and in the end, they hang up. Wait for months, call again, you hear the card was shipped to another address. They do not give you the response you need. There are several other such issues.

When you want to close your account, again you are in trouble. They send your account balance to the states :(

Just avoid it.

Horrible Customer Service

If you love horrible customer service, this is the place to bank. "One week before Christmas " I called and ordered a new debit card on Saturday, was told they would place a rush on it. On Wednesday I called for an update, we placed the wrong date on the card and it was sent back. No phone call, no email nothing, I called on Thursday asking for a supervisor, she refuses to get on the phone. I had to tell the customer service rep to cancel the one in route and send me one over night FedEx. !! This back lacks oversight, horrible !!! Really horrible.

No Utilities, No Membership

I have have been married to the same man and lived the same house (which I own) for over 25 years but because all the utilities are in his name I was denied membership. In order to prove address you must have a utility in you name, your husbands will not do. I was shocked, but that's the policy.