USAA Bank Reviews

USAA Military Banking

I loved using USAA banking! Everything about it was great - navigating online, directions, etc. Only problem was the offices were not located where we were stationed at the time so we were unable to have any face to face contact.

USAA review from young woman

Posted by: KayRe123 | Jul 25, 2016

I have had a checking and savings account with USAA for many years, as does my husband. It's a great bank to be a part of, and the customer service is outstanding. Every time I call, every representative I talk to is very friendly, helpful, and has a caring demeanor. The only thing I really have to complain about is their overdraft fees. I know that overdraft fees are very typical with banks, however, as most USAA members are part of the military, they should be more lenient with the fee. Other than that one small complaint, USAA does an outstanding job with customer service, their online website and mobile app, as well as their products they offer.

Great Online Bank

Posted by: KaylinO | Jul 14, 2016

I'm pretty new to USAA bank, but not to online banking. I only do my banking online and I hate to go into an actual bank to do my business. The last bank I was at had horrible banking, and I can say with confidence that USAA has a much smoother interface. I log in and get all the information I want to see right away. Security feels good. If I get my password wrong, you can be damn sure they'll hit me with some security questions.

Setting up my bank account was a little complicated because they are situated in Texas and I live in another state. My husband already had a bank account with them however, so he just called them up and helped me get it set up. I had my bank account the same day. My favorite things about this bank is I don't get charged for having an account, and you can set your savings account so that it will insure you don't get back draft fees if you forget how much you have in your checking account.

I have an online store, and I've had no problems getting money into my account. Everything works well.

The Only Bank I've Been With

Posted by: RobL | Jul 12, 2016

I love USAA bank, it's the first and only bank so far in my life. I've anticipated in going to other banks but I think to myself why do I need to open up more bank accounts? They do everything I ask for, when I want my credit limit raised, they do it. When something goes wrong with my account, I call and it's fixed asap. It's a great bank for being an online bank. They hardly have any ATMs but they cover the first few withdraws (because of the fees) so that they are free for you each month (I forget how many they do a month). They don't have many brick and mortar banks but that's fine with me because I don't need to go in a bank, I just do everything online or on my phone. I love the deposit check from mobile feature, amazing.

The only downside I can think of is their savings account interest is low. But, that's completely common nowadays unfortunately. You'd be lucky to get 1% these days, and the only online bank I've seen that on is Ally bank, and that's the other bank I've thought about joining but I just don't feel the need to. These days savings accounts and their interest aren't what they used to be, and customers don't have much of an incentive to save money by putting it in a bank.

Overall, very happy with this bank!

Review of USAA

Posted by: tony112 | Jun 16, 2016

I've been using USAA for over 11 years now. My experiences with them have been optimal on nearly every aspect. I use USAA for credit cards, car insurance, home insurance, checking account, savings account, and also as my investment account. The platform of USAA is really easy to go along with and their rates seems competitive to any bigger bank. There's typically 12 non-stop user access via online through talking to customer service. Speaking of customer service, their customer service is always on point. The representatives are always king, and are especially helpful in explaining things of uncertainty. When I was opening up my investment account with them, the representative made sure to go over nearly every thing I could possibly imagine, and the the portion that she was unfamiliar with she made sure to get the information for me, and I barely had to wait. The only drawbacks that I can truly think of with the online service is the fact that I have to go through so many security questions just to access my account, I also have slight concerns because of their wiring process. I found myself in a dilemma a few years back, when I needed to wire more than 4 times in the same month. But overall I am overwhelmingly happy with the service, and will continue to use them.

Review of USAA

Posted by: tony11 | Jun 15, 2016

I've been using USAA for over 11 years now. My experiences with them have been optimal on nearly every aspect. I use USAA for credit cards, car insurance, home insurance, checking account, savings account, and also as my investment account. The platform of USAA is really easy to go along with and their rates seems competitive to any bigger bank. There's typically 12 non-stop user access via online through talking to customer service. Speaking of customer service, their customer service is always on point. The representatives are always king, and are especially helpful in explaining things of uncertainty. When I was opening up my investment account with them, the representative made sure to go over nearly every thing I could possibly imagine, and the the portion that she was unfamiliar with she made sure to get the information for me, and I barely had to wait. The only drawbacks that I can truly think of with the online service is the fact that I have to go through so many security questions just to access my account, I also have slight concerns because of their wiring process. I found myself in a dilemma a few years back, when I needed to wire more than 4 times in the same month. But overall I am overwhelmingly happy with the service, and I will continue to use them.

If you are able to enroll with USAA, do not hesitate! Better than the majority of banks!

Posted by: Charalex | Jun 4, 2016

I am lucky enough to have USAA, not because I am military, but because my father was! He has been a devoted USAA car insurance user for decades..but I went one step further and use it as my primary bank, and for good reason. I was with Wells Fargo before and it was such a mess, not listing my balances properly and just looked like such a clutter, I was constantly overdrawing my account because things were posting late and it was so confusing so I made the swap when USAA was offering a $300 giftcard for enrolling with direct deposit. Since then, I could not be happier. Their website layout is so user friendly, it is easy to see where I made purchases, when, and what is now left in my bank account (you'd think this would be a right of passage, but with wells fargo it was not the case). My favourite thing about USAA? They give up to $15 a month back for ATM surcharge fees (because they don't have their own). They also have so many different features on their website, including financial readiness score, budget tracker etc that help you succeed in organizing your own expenses.

Favorite Internet Bank

Posted by: MtnEllie | May 17, 2016

USAA is one of only a handful of companies that have earned my strong allegiance. They have a great reputation in the insurance industry, and I've been extremely happy with that service, so decided recently to switch my banking over to them as well. Their website is intuitive and has some great features (especially if you have multiple different types of accounts with them). It looks like it has a great graphic budgeting/financial tracking tool that I've yet to experiment with, but on the surface it looks better than Mint, which I hate. I have had one problem, with a vendor trying to pull multiple large payments out of my account instead of just the one they were supposed to, and the customer service at USAA was great to help me work through the problem and they cancelled out the overdraft fees that had popped up due to the other vendors error. I trust their security more than the smaller bank that I was using. So far fees seem quite competitive. Free checking was incredibly simple to get set up. I can recommend & feel very comfortable with them.

No Need To Look Further, This Company Is Amazing.

Posted by: Kgirl757 | May 6, 2016

There is nothing bad that I can say about USAA. Their website is clear and concise. You never are clicking around looking for answers that you can't find. They pride themselves in being able to save their customers money and to serve them with a sense of justice. And when you call customer service with any problems you are always connected to a person right away and they are incredibly helpful every single time. I have had several questions and they answer them so well. If you want to have people talk to you and actually take time to get you the answers you desire then this is the bank for you. They have everything you need in a bank and the respect you deserve as a human being.

Great Bank, Great Customer Service

Their rates are fair and on par with the standard or below. I've only had to contact them a few times in a few years but every time has been awesome. Once I had my account compromised and all my money gone, I called them and in two days had it all back. They authorize my funds as soon as the confirmation comes in without waiting for the actual funds. So for my case, I get paid Thursday instead of Friday , because they don't wait. I've never waited more than 4 minutes on hold waiting for someone. It is just an overall awesome bank.

Why We Chose Usaa:

Posted by: Stryker7 | Apr 21, 2016

My husband and I recently relocated from a small town to a large city. We had no need of a physical location branch bank. We checked around, and discovered that my father, who was a Lt. Col. in Marine Corps, made us eligible for USAA. Ooh Raa.Being in a military family sometimes has its advantages. As a child of a military man, in good standing, we were able to be accepted into the USAA family.
We were impressed that when we called were greeted with respect. That is an absolute in the military! They were very helpful. We set up our online checking and savings accounts. We were set up online in just minutes. The account rollovers, closings, all went smoothly with the help of USAA.
***Bonus, if we do need cash, we can go to ANY atm, and the atm fee will be REFUNDED to us on next statement. How easy can you get?
We were very impressed working with USAA, so maybe 9 months into our banking relationship, we invested our IRA's with USAA.
They were very slow, patient, and explained as many times as needed for our understanding. We never felt bullied, rushed, or that niggling feeling that you may be making a mistake. We felt confident in our choice of USAA. We are pleased with our decision to move our money to USAA.

We Love Usaa

My husband and I enrolled with USAA after he joined the Army, and we've been extremely pleased with them. We've never had an issue with them processing payment or deposits, and their check cashing app is the best. A few months ago, we had a small budget issue, and didn't realize we had overdrawn the account. Fortunately, we learned that as long as it's a single transaction that doesn't overdraw the account by more than $5, they don't charge for it. That was a blessing that month, and we were so thankful to learn about that. A few days later, we received the ATM fees back, and that brought us back up into the black. Refunding the fees charged by other bank's ATMs is another reason we went with them.

Great Customer Service

I have both an interest-bearing checking and savings account with USAA Bank. In the past, I had only used banks with physical locations, and while I always managed to get the necessary tasks accomplished, there was also always a line before reaching the counter. I chose an internet-based bank because I was moving a long distance and wanted to have access to my account no matter where I was. Having an app on my phone where I could see transactions and balances has been very helpful. I keep the account balanced all the time instead of waiting to receive a statement. But the absolute best part has been the ability to snap a photo of a check and deposit it instantly while at home! The internet bank experience is superior to my banking experiences of the past.

The greatest bank?

Posted by: stim100986 | Feb 7, 2016

I have banked with USAA for about five years now and it is far and away the best experience you can have with a bank. As long as you don't need to visit your local bank, and these days who does that anymore, you'll be thrilled by what you get from USAA. If you ever have a need to call with questions, you'll have a personal conversation with an individual who listens to your concerns and provides you with a solution that works for you individually. Need to use an ATM from another bank? USAA will cover the transaction fee for you. Want to see your credit score every month? You'll get it for free. You can sign up to get it more often if you'd like. Never worry about the absurd fees that regular banks charge, they don't exist at USAA. Hey, they're the bank our military employees trust.

The best bank for veterans

Posted by: AngelOTF | Jan 19, 2016

USAA's motto since 1924 has been "Service to the Services", and since then it has done just that. There dedication and service to veterans and their family's seems to be and is the core of their business model. After serving in the Army, I switched to USAA at the recommendation of my sergeant and I have never looked back. Overall, the level of caring and service this bank provides is above all banks I have ever dealt with. I was deployed to Kuwait with very limited communication, not to mention a time zone to the U.S. My credit card information was stolen and the person who stole the information spent about $6000 on my account. I called into the 24 hour customer service line for deployed soldiers and was connected to a person very quickly without the hassle of speaking to a computerized voice for very long. Within a couple days they were able to return the money and sent me a new credit card to my address over seas. From start to finish the process was very easy and stress free. I knew then that this is a bank that I will keep for the rest of my life.

USAA Checking is great!

I have been a USAA member for 10 years but have only had a checking account for less than a year. Previously I had used USAA only for credit cards, loans and insurance and done my checking with a local bank. I was enticed to switch to USAA because of a $300 promotion and I could not be more pleased with the experience. I was originally apprehensive about not having a local branch to go to but the app, the online experience and the customer service more than makes up for that. I really enjoy the refunding of my ATM withdraw fees and the interest rate is very good (compared to other banks). I have been upgraded to the secure chip card for my debit card and it has been great. Overall I have really enjoyed my experience with USAA checking and highly recommend the company.

USAA Facilitates Victimization Of Disabled Military Veteran.

I am a disabled Military Veteran, who has been forward deployed three times. The most famous of these deployments included operational support for the mission that resulted in the termination of Osama Bin Laden. I have also been a USAA member for over a decade and to be honest they have always done a great job for me. However I soon realized that their support ends as soon as you’re no longer a profitable asset to their bottom line profits. The following is the story of how USAA helped me get victimized and then turned their back on me.

After receiving an honorable discharge from the Navy and being sent out into the workforce as a Disabled Veteran I had a really hard time finding a job. I later learned that job seekers are often preyed on by con-men. After months of filling out hundreds of applications I finally received a job offer as a project manager for an international consulting firm. I made it through 2 rounds of phone interviews and signed my employment contract. My first month was training which consisted of 10 extensive and graded training exercise assignments. Towards the end of the month I had finished all the required training, so they assigned me to join my first project. My first assignment was purchase order research. I compiled a list of U.S. based sellers for a list of office equipment they needed for a client. After that they sent me a purchase order and told me to purchase the goods and send them to the client of record. Even though I had been working with this company every day for a month, I still have a hard time fully trusting anyone because I am a very cautious individual, so I immediately called USAA to ask how I could make sure this isn’t a con. I had a 2 part plan to ensure my safety. 1) They transfer me the funds first and I wait till the money is cleared by USAA, 2) I have the consulting firm transfer the funds onto a credit card that is already maxed out, which would free up the cards available funds to allow me to execute on the purchase order. Before doing anything I called USAA and asked them about my plan. I was informed that USAA could not change my card’s available credit without my permission, so given the the card was already maxed out it would be impossible to take on additional liability. I was also advised that once my card received the funds and the funds were cleared by USAA that the funds were safe for spending. After speaking with USAA I felt confident moving forward. The funds were then deposited into my account and cleared for spending. I executed on the purchase order and sent the items to the client of record on the purchase order. Two days later the funds were somehow virtually pulled back off my credit card and my card was left overdrafted by nearly $7,000. When I confronted USAA they informed me that they don’t know how the funds were able to be pulled out once they were in and cleared. Also they did not raise my credit limit, but rather they allowed the card to be overdrawn by nearly double it’s available limit. They apologized for the inaccurate information they provided and told me they will not help me with any of the liability, and additionally they will not even help restructure the debt. I’m now stuck with a credit card that is overdrawn by $7,000 (double the card’s limit). I don’t have a job so I have no way of paying this. The company that employed me, then proceeded to virtually 100% vanish. Everything from their website, phone numbers, emails and all my company contacts no longer existed. Then USAA, a company that I thought I could trust, and use for all of my banking, insurance, and credit accounts assisted this terrible con in leaving me unaware, misinformed and financially screwed.

USAA provided me bad information, which led to me being victimized, which lead to them raking in amazing amount of money from me in overdraft fees and destroying my credit. I don’t believe this was premeditated, but man it really worked out great for USAA. I’m sure they're having a very merry Christmas.

Has everything you need!

Posted by: sbaum | Dec 10, 2015

We have been with USAA for about 5 years now, and we love them! Everything we need is in one place! USAA is a bank for the military, veterans, and their families, so they understand the unique life they lead. They don't shut off our debt card every time my husband travels, like other banks have done to us in the past. They help set up retirement and understand what a huge life transition going from the military world to the civilian world is, and help you prepare for anything. When my husband deployed with very short notice, they so kindly overnight-ed a new card, so he could have it before he left. They also waived all fees! We don't have all those crazy charges that other banks have! Free checking is awesome!

Great for young adults

Posted by: cathytx | Nov 2, 2015

As a high schooler, my parents signed me up for an account at USAA almost 8 years ago. Since then, it has evolved to meet my ever changing needs in a very instructive and helpful way - guiding me through setting up car loans, auto insurance (and receiving payment for claims), renter's insurance, savings for the future, and hopefully soon a home loan. USAA has very competitive rates and a family atmosphere - even though there is no physical location nearby, help is a quick phone call away. And as far as their call banks go, I've never had to wait more than 30 seconds to be connected - much better than trying to call at some of the larger national banks! All in all, highly recommended!

USAA Is A Really Good Bank.

I've been with USAA for 5 years. I'm not a rich man so I'm not all that concerned about interest rates and investments. Its just a straight checking account to me. My money in and all my money out.

What I can tell you is this. I am very happy with USAA. I do have two observations.

1. It takes 30 days or so to get your ATM fees reimbursed to you. Seems like a long time to me. Should be within 5 working days.

2. Their online fraud protection is overly aggressive. My account has been flagged half a dozen times because I use a VPN. I keep telling them that its me doing this. Yet, their security software keeps locking up my online access. #annoying

I love USAA!

Posted by: Cakepop | Oct 6, 2015

I have been with USAA for almost five years. Every time that I place a call to them, the are very polite and helpful. They always do whatever they can to help you. One of the things that sold me was the free savings and checking accounts. They have no fees whatsoever, and they even reimburse you for ATM fees! They send you new cards in the mail if there is any reason to suspect that your banking information may have been compromised. This makes me feel like they are looking out for me. I recently opened a CD with them as well. I feel like my money is secure, and it is definitely nice to see my money accumulate interest. In addition, they offer online banking and banking through their mobile app. I find the app to be very useful as I can quickly check my balance and pay bills. I would recommends to anyone. I have never had any problems.

USAA's Personal Checking Suffers From Habitual Check Holding

Posted by: ndbradley | Oct 2, 2015

I have been a 'loyal' USAA member for over 25 years and have excellent credit, using their auto insurance and investment products to the tune of many tens of thousands of dollars. Because these products worked well for me, I decided to open a personal checking account with the USAA Federal Savings Bank--what a horrible mistake! My last two paychecks, from the University of California, were placed on hold for eight and six days, respectively, which made it impossible to pay my monthly bills on time. Both times, I phoned USAA's Customer Service to inquire why my paychecks were held, especially from a large financial institution like the University of California. I spoke with two representatives and one supervisor; each time, I was informed that they need to "know me better" before allowing me access to my own money. This after 25 years as a customer! I was informed that this will continue for as long as I am a "new" customer, but they were unable or unwilling to define how long they consider a customer to be new. (Finally, one representative admitted to me that they can deem me "new" for as long as they feel like it.)

It has become obvious that many banks, like USAA, are optimizing the float period of deposited funds to 'fluff' their asset audits. This comes at the personal expense of customers in the form of overdue payments to creditors and damaged credit scores. My advice is to avoid USAA's personal checking at all costs (literally) and stick with their insurance products, which remain sound. The only reason I gave them one star was for the potential they *would* have if they actually put customer service first. As regards personal checking, USAA is an extremely poor banking choice--look elsewhere.

Fantastic overall service from USAA

Posted by: Boston434 | Jul 31, 2015

I've banked with USAA for over 6 years now, and could not be happier with their services. They offer exceptionally competitive services when compared with industry competition, and in addition, provide a huge number of convenience services. ATM fee reimbursement, mobile phone deposit and personal advice with regards to investments are all services that I have made great use of. Additionally, as an active duty soldier, they're customer service department has been a tremendous help to me throughout a couple of deployments and moves, helping me to navigate some unfamiliar waters over the phone. USAA reps have helped me set up accounts, transfer money, set up auto payments for deployments and countless other tasks, and all over the phone. Overall, I've had an exceptional experience with USAA.

USAA is the BEST!

Posted by: t.a.evans | Jul 15, 2015

I have banked with USAA since 2005. During the past 10 years I have never had an issue that they haven't been able to resolve in a timely manner anytime of day, whether online, or over the phone. I have worked with many other banks in the past and have left them due to poor customer service, expensive, and poor performing products. USAA has always charged fair prices well below the average in the industry, while providing products that perform above industry averages. USAA provides products to military members and their descendants. Having had a father that served our country, I am grateful to be apart of a company that serves those who have served and protected us and our freedoms. USAA has a customer for life!

USAA the best bank I have ever used.

Posted by: coondog | Jul 10, 2015

I have been banking with USAA for about 3 years now. This has been by far the best bank I have ever been with. Their website it really easy to navigate through. I can do everything that I want to do all without having to call a customer service representative. I use the app almost daily in order to check my balances and if I have to deposit a check it is easy by just following the directions on the deposit part of the app. Plus the money from the check is available instantly. I have never had any issue with their representatives when I have called them for something. I once had to call a representative to ask about a fee that I had gotten over a mishap and they refunded me the fee right then and there. It was very fast getting someone on the phone and not only did they take care of my issue they are always doing what they can to make sure I am fully covered with everything I may need. If they have other products that they offer they make sure to offer me that product and to fully explain all the details so I can make a decision on what I want to do.

Accounts Held For No Reason

I opened an account in 2012 and soon found out I did not qualify since I did not have any affiliations with military personnel. Open a checking and saving with a total of $500.00 and to these day I have yet to get a refund !! I sent proof of ID, account ownership, SSN, US Passport and an endless number of calls to always be told the same thing (( Due to past relationship with USAA we can not release your funds )) WHAT PAST RELATIONSHIP ?? THAT WAS THE FIRST AND LAST ACCOUNT I OPEN WITH USAA. Horrible bank with the fact they don't even have branches you can go and talk to a rep face-to-face.. This is very frustrating sings there is nothing more you can do about it, so my hard earned money is gone !!.
Please stay away from USAA !!!

Mobile Depost at home with USAA

Posted by: staceswim | Jun 19, 2015

Today I had 2 checks to deposit into my USAA checking account. This was very easy to do using the USAA mobile app. First I had to download the app to my apple iPhone, next I had to sign into my account to get started. It was so easy to deposit my checks using their automatic capture feature that captured the perfect picture of my check. All I had to do was sign the back of my check and then put it on a flat surface for my iPhone to scan. Then I turned it over and my phone scanned the back of the check. After this, I entered the amount the check was for and it was automatically deposited into my USAA checking account. The USAA app makes it so simple and quick to deposit checks into my account. I am very grateful for this feature that my checking account has. It saves me a lot of time and effort trying to cash checks. Since USAA is a online bank and has no physical location to go to, depositing checks at home with ease is a must. I think that they have nailed it, and made it so simple to do.

USAA! USAA! USAA!

Posted by: Regina32 | Jun 18, 2015

I've been banking with USAA for a few years now. I love their Deposit@mobile program - before I discovered it, I was frustrated with the general mechanics of internet banking, since I frequently make small cash deposits (I'm self-employed.) Deposit@mobile means I can deposit a personal check, a business check, or even a money order in five seconds or so, using the camera on my phone. That's a wonderful convenience. My favorite thing about them, though, is the customer service. That's a really unusual thing for me to say - calling and dealing with customer service representatives ranks in my all-time least favorite things to do, ever. But USAA's representatives are always cheerful and friendly, willing to stay on the line for as long as it takes without making you feel like you're wrecking their day, and really above-and-beyond helpful. Nearly every time I call, the agent I end up speaking to manages to tell me about some wonderful, relevant option they offer that I didn't know about, whether it's free financial advice for all members when I'm feeling frustrated with my budget, to dental insurance through an affiliated program, which was information my latest agent cheerfully volunteered when I apologized for speaking oddly due to a toothache. This is the only company I actually enjoy calling, and I have never had a disappointing experience yet.

Great For Military Personel And Their Families

Posted by: Whitney | Jun 10, 2015

USAA is a bank specialized for military personnel and their families. They provide great products and customer service for the service men and women. I have been with them over 10 years and I have only had one problem with them. I have only had one instance where I had fraud on my account. I called them up about it and they told me they would have to investigate the situation. I thought this would only take a couple of days since someone was going through my account and taking all my money and I didn't know how I was going to pay bills or even buy gas to get to work. This took 2 weeks. I ended up having to borrow money from my mother until it was cleared up. Though I am thankful that all my money was put back into my account, I wish it would have taken less time to do and I didn't have to borrow. Overall, USAA has a great bank and I would recommend them to anyone. Their customer service is outstanding. They are always polite when you call and even though I am out the military. They always address me by my rank, which makes me feel as if what I did for my country went and does go along way.

Easy to use online banking

My husband and I have had an account with USAA for almost 6 years now. I think it is easier banking online with them than with any other bank. They make everything convenient for you. I always deposit my checks through the mobile app where I can just take a picture of my check (Front and back ) and it goes straight into my account. I also like that I can transfer funds online and on the mobile app. I can print out my insurance card online if I need to and electronically sign my documents. I recommend USAA to friends and family all the time.

USAA the best bank I have ever used.

Posted by: Trixie | Jun 10, 2015

Well I have had USAA for about 15 years and they always seem to amaze me. I called to do a funds transfer from one account to another and because of some miss understanding before I was not able to do it online. So I called them and talked to one of the clerks which was very nice. I told her I wanted to do the transfer and she started to do it and then realized on the account it was not letting her either. She said there was another way but she was not able to do it so I asked her if I could talk to her manager to see if they could do it. The manager got on the line and was very helpful and sorry the other associate was not able to do this for me. She went into the old system and did the transfer for me and told me she was going to use my call for training to teach the other associates to use that system for times like these. The manager was very helpful and everything got done really quickly.

Finally Leaving USAA After 9 Years

Posted by: dancing247 | Jun 9, 2015

I've been telling myself for years I'm leaving USAA, but I was lazy. Their customer service is not great. Their phone system is the most aggravating thing ever. It doesn't recognize anything you say or press. And if you have a problem requiring human interaction, like you get charged $30 in ATM fees and the company only reimbursed $15, you have to go to an "escalation team member" who just wants to give you a hard time instead of refunding the add'l money. Mind you this "bank" has no ATMs of their own, not like I had much of a choice. Anyway, I'm over it. Their insurances cost way more. We switched to esurance and dropped auto insurance down $500/6 mo. policy. It's just too much. They aren't great and I do not recommend them.

USAA is probably the best bank I have ever worked with

Posted by: katimae | May 31, 2015

I joined USAA after I married my husband, a soldier in the US Army, 17 years ago. During this time, we have had two checking accounts (one of which we gave to our oldest daughter when she came of age) and two savings accounts. We have had overdraft protection and very low fees throughout our time with them. When my debit card was swiped and someone ran up hundreds of dollars worth of purchases on it, the bank caught it before I did, and they handled everything for me. The phone app is wonderful, it makes depositing checks and making transfers a breeze, and since I got the app, I rarely log on to the site anymore. Every time we have had a problem and needed to call the bank, we have had the most friendly and polite customer service agents, and they have always quickly resolved our problem. I would absolutely recommend this bank to anyone in the Armed Forces.

Amazing Bank for Military Families

I have been banking online with USAA for 7 years now. I have a checking and savings account with them. At first I was concerned about doing all of my banking online, but with the mobile app and fantastic customer service (though I rarely need it) USAA is a first-class bank. The mobile app makes it simple to deposit checks, check my account balance, and make any transfers between accounts that I need to make. In addition, all money is available immediately. The best part about banking with USAA is the customer service. On the rare occasion that I have needed to call and speak with someone, I was never put on hold. EVER! How is that even possible? The representatives are beyond helpful and always go above and beyond to assist me. If I could buy my groceries from USAA, I would. This company is truly amazing, and its commitment to serving military families makes it that much better.

Why I choose USAA

I used to feel that it was important to belong to a brick and mortar bank in order to have face-to-face contact, but since banking with USAA, my experiences at brick and mortar banks do not even come close in comparison. I started out with a checking account at USAA and learned that there are many perks to having a checking account there. I get unlimited free checks. I am able to use any ATM machine, and not only does USAA not charge me a fee for using other ATM machines; USAA reimburses me for other banks' fees! Every time I have called USAA, I have spoken with highly professional, helpful, personable staff who go above and beyond to help me out. USAA offers numerous other services, which I also utilize: auto insurance, homeowner's insurance, mutual funds, financial planning services, life insurance. I'm not sure if this is relevant to include in this survey, but I have been extremely impressed with USAA with regards to their auto insurance. I was in a fender bender, which I was at fault in, and the woman from USAA was very compassionate and professional. She helped me out and never made me feel bad for being at fault. The other driver's car was fixed, and I never heard of any problems with my claim. A few years back, another driver rear-ended me, and USAA was very efficient and helpful in ensuring that my car was fixed and that my medical bills were paid in a timely fashion. I have belonged to USAA for more than ten years now, and I have never had a negative experience with them. I highly recommend them to anyone who is eligible to utilize their services. I've received warmer, more personalized services from USAA, never having seen a face from their bank, than I have from any other brick and mortar bank I have belonged to.

USAA is the best thing to happen to banking!

I have found USAA bank to be extremely user friendly and a winner in customer service. They have always been helpful by phone. Especially one time when I needed a large amount of cash and I was able to call them and immediately raise my atm withdraw limit for the day. It is extremely convenient banking with them, I have been with them for over 4 years now and have not missed having a local branch. They have done banking the right way. I sing their praises to anyone who will listen and encourage all who are eligible to enroll them as your primary financial institution.

USAA is a great choice

Posted by: Sierra452 | Apr 30, 2015

I have been a member of USAA for over 15 years and they have been great to deal with. My first experience was getting renters insurance for my apartment and it was easy and fast. The customer service was great. Based on that experience I opened up a second checking and savings account with USAA. I did this all online in a matter of 15 minutes. The checks came in the mail within 10 working days. There was no charge for the checks or for the debit card that I had linked to my account. Direct deposit was easy to setup and I have zero issues with my checks getting into my accounts. The mobile app is awesome. It is easy to transfer money, pay bills, and check account balances. The website is also easy to use and navigate and it is just as easy to transfer money, pay bills, or check account balances. I love that USAA has fee reimbursement for ATM withdrawals as too. I try to find fee free ATMs but when I cannot I don't worry because I know that USAA has my back. The fees are reimbursed typically in no more than 10 working days. I had a question about setting up bill pay and was able to call and talk to a person within a matter of minutes. Customer service at its finest. Based on my experiences I would strongly recommend USAA for you banking needs.

USAA is a great bank to work with

Posted by: Erisch | Apr 28, 2015

I have both a checking and savings account with USAA, and have had no problems transferring or depositing into either.
Their mobile app is outstanding; it allows you to deposit your checks anywhere, at any time -- one of my favourite features of the company.
I have only had an issue once with USAA: due to my own mistakes, my debit card was locked from use. I called USAA, and their customer service was exceptional. The time on hold was very short, and their representative was kind, helpful, and professional. They quickly resolved the issue and I was left astonished at the company's professionalism.
I strongly recommend USAA as an online bank!

USAA Excels at all facets of online banking

Posted by: NikuWater | Apr 24, 2015

USAA has a very useful website. All of the account information is easy to find, which I routinely check since I'm doing wire transfers often. Their app enables easy deposits by just taking a picture of your check, which works like a charm. One of the best things about USAA is no-fee withdrawals at any ATM. If they ATM charges a fee, they will refund the amount in a short time. I once had an account issue with USAA. I was able to find a live chat window on their website and within minutes I was talking to a real person about the issue. After I told them what it was, they quickly corrected it, and I saw my account updated on the website. All of this occurred within 10 minutes. I have never had another bank with such good customer service. Across their website, they have links to the multiple services they offer, including tracking your spending, auto insurance, and investment tools, all of which offer competitive rates.

Simply the Best

Posted by: Zeelander | Mar 28, 2015

I've been with USAA for over 25 years. My first major dealing with them was when I was 17 and had gotten into my first car accident. When I called them on the phone and explained what had happened, they made the process exceedingly easy to complete. They guided me through the process and even accepted my word over the phone what the quote to fix my car would be even WITHOUT verification. Now I know times have changed but that service just blew me away.

Year after year I'm continually impressed with their high level of customer service. I've never experienced one negative customer service rep. On the contrary, they have consistently gone above and beyond what is in their job description to help me. This place is the epitome of what a good organizational model looks like.

Their products are on par with any in their industry. The variety of financial services they offer is comprehensive. Their online tools allows one to do most transactions quickly, smoothly and efficiently. Also, their online security is the best I've seen.

Finally the company pays its customers a dividend each year based on its performance. Last year I got a fifty dollar check. It may not sound like much but when you consider I pay an already reduced rate for insurance for outstanding service. Well, that little check just puts the icing on the cake.

Usaa and my experience

Posted by: Woogle | Mar 5, 2015

I have banked with USAA personally for a couple of years now, this company as a whole branches out into many aspects for military personal. They have free banking, and great interest rates! I know personally if I ever have a problem figuring something out, or something not working I can call the customer service number and everyone I have ever talked to is very friendly, and is definitely there for me the member. There products are great not only do they offer free banking, and great interest rates, they have some of the best insurances I have ever come across. If you are looking for a great bank/company that is mostly for online usage than USAA is your Bank. The layout of their website is super easy to navigate as well!

USAA is the Most helpful bank.

Posted by: Samantha | Feb 25, 2015

USAA is devoted to serving our service men and women and their families. They go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that their customers are taken care of. When a major retailer was hacked last year during the holiday season, USAA fraud protection noticed that my card had been compromised early, they alerted me of the breach, kept me updated on the situation, canceled my card in a timely matter, and I had my new debit card with in two days. USAA offers the best interest rates on car loans that I have ever seen. Not to mention when you go to purchase a new or used car, USAA actually suggests car dealerships and at some of the dealerships you actually receive a discount for financing through USAA. When it came time for me to start building up my credit USAA's financial advisors were extremely helpful with tips advice to grow my credit score. USAA is a bank that I will bee with for years to come, their customer service is unbeatable. My only suggestion is that USAA increase the amount of USAA ATMS in my area but with their atm fee payback service this really is a minor grivence.

USAA is the BEST!

We have been with USAA for almost 15 years. We have our homeowners insurance/car insurance/checking account/ savings account with them as well as a credit card and a loan. They have always had the greatest customer service representatives that answer your questions thoughtfully and are incredibly helpful. They are always willing to help us any way they can which has included lowering our rates to compete with other banks. They have grace periods with your insurance accounts and are always helpful when mistakes are made (like a few days late on a bill). Their rates are unbeatable and they know exactly what their customer wants. Their is also NO ATM fee's at any bank! I have always been able to get a hold of them quickly to answer my questions.

Great Customer Service

USAA is amazing at the customer service thing and their product offerings is second to none. The one thing that I didn't understand is how they have so low interest rates 0.00% on checking and 0.10% (APY) on savings? They have no branches to maintain, so this was a thing that made me look elsewhere after about 1.5 years.

A bank that strives for customer satisfaction

Posted by: Benjamin2 | Dec 26, 2014

I have used USAA Bank for the better part of eleven years and my complaints are few and far between. This amazes me because I can remember the banks I used to work with and complaints seemed to be a daily occurrence. USAA offers benefits to those who've served in the US military, current and past, and honestly I do all of my banking with them. Insurance, savings accounts, checking, no matter what banking product I need I go to USAA first. No fee checking account, no minimum saving accounts, and car insurance all at one place. The customer service is beyond anything I would expect from a large bank. Insurance claims, to change of address issues, to just calling up and needing advice, USAA has always been ready, willing, and most times able to assist. When you call you get a real person. There is no lengthy process of picking through automated menus, or the delay as your call is routed to some far off country for a local and simple issue. However, the best part, personally, is that I only have to talk a person on the other end when I absolutely feel I have to. The website offers all the services you need and the mobile app is good enough to handle any daily banking needs I have had so far. Not to give the wrong impression, it has not been eleven years of sunshine and roses. I've had frustrations with USAA. I haven't been able to get a credit limit increase on my USAA American Express card yet(to be fair, I'm sure I have something to do with it other than being a valued customer), Getting a personal loan has proven impossible (again, if I were a bank, I may not have lent me money either when I came asking). Gripes and grumbles are to be expected throughout a long term relationship, however, they are so few and far between that they pale in comparison to the benefit and value of banking with USAA.

Simply the Best

Posted by: fedx8 | Dec 18, 2014

I have been with USAA since I was old enough to have an account. I have car and renter's insurance with them in addition to banking, and have never had a negative experience with customer service. They have been very quick to respond to recent card number thefts (namely Target and Home Depot) and automatically issued new cards if you had shopped during the compromised time frame. I use their mobile app a lot to make deposits and monitor my accounts. I love the ATM refund (up to $15/month) and the ability to make ATM withdrawals worldwide (if you call and notify them of the dates you expect to use ATMs outside of your usual area, they are great about recording it and not notifying you of what you already told them). I don't really have anything negative to say.

Great Bank!

It took me a little while to get over the idea of an Internet bank. We qualified for USAA because of my wife's father service in the Navy. Great services, great prices, Mobile check depositing, etc. The website helped track inflow and outflow of cash well enough. The one thing i still have to get over is Cash. I don't carry much cash nowadays so its not an issue. But very rarely I'll get a couple hundred or thousand dollars for selling something or what have you. There is just no good way to get this money in your account. So I end up spending it faster than I should. If you deal with a lot of cash you want to put in your account, make sure there is a usaa atm that accepts cash deposits near you, or keep an checking account at a local bank for safety deposit boxes and to move your cash around. Other than that minor issue I love this bank.

USAA Will ALWAYS have my buisness

Posted by: OLaughlin | Nov 6, 2014

Several months ago my family was in a tight spot financially. A few days before payday we had accidentally went into the negative on out account and were charged the standard overdraft fees. We were upset about it but it was our own fault, not USAA's.

A couple weeks later I paid a couple bills and my husband paid a couple bills, one of which was the mortgage and we realized we had over drafted our account AGAIN, by about $18. Since it was the Mortgage that had yet to hit it was over our overdraft amount and would be returned to the mortgage company unpaid (we were in the process of a loan modification and being late would have cost us the house). When looking at the account we saw the reason for the error was an auto-draft that we had stopped the previous month had still came through even though it was not supposed to. I called USAA in a PANIC at 8pm on a Friday night. I had called to see if I could stop payment on the auto-draft so that the mortgage would be paid. The VERY nice man who answered the phone, yes a real person answered the phone at 8pm, calmed me down and said he would look at the account. He said there was no way to stop payment on the auto-draft but he would return the fees they had charged the previous month. Not only did he return 1 fee which would have covered the shortage, he returned 2 more since he saw there would be another ten days till we were paid again.

We have since improved our financial situation and hope to never be in that situation again but USAA was a life saver that day!!

The absolute best choice in online banking !!

Posted by: SkylerT | Nov 4, 2014

I've banked with a lot of banks over the years, and they've all had decent internet sites. However, I was completely blown away to discover USAA banking. They have the absolute best banking website I have ever used. It's even capable of linking up to all your other finance accounts. So I just sign on to USAA.com and I can view my Car Insurance, Checking, Savings, and Brokerage Accounts all in one place. It's quite genius. Plus if that's not enough, they have amazing software for droid and iphone. Their apps and widgets are truly remarkable. The only drawback is it can be kind of hard to talk with a real representative on the phone. They're usually online in chat though.

Going Down Hill Fast

I've been a member of USAA for almost 30 years. Always loved their service and found them competitive for everything except investments. The last 12 months I've had terrible experiences with their banking. I deposited a USAA checking account check at a local bank that handles my business account. Local bank recognized my credit and credibility and immediately released the funds to me. Imagine my embarrassment when I log on to my account 3 days later and USAA returned my check to the local bank; not for insufficient funds but because I didn't endorse the check. I explained my signature was on the FRONT of the check and the local bank knows me. NOT good enough for USAA. I had to jump through hoops to get this straightened out. When I complained, I was told it was FOR MY PROTECTION!! Another incident followed two months later. IN the process of moving all my money accounts from USAA and am also investigating other possible insurance companies. Sorry to leave but it's time to take my business to a bank that knows me and provides REAL service

USAA to the rescue

Posted by: C.K.John | Oct 29, 2014

My husband and I were attempting to redo our shower without the help of a contractor. This meant several trips to the hardware store. Little did we know, that our multiple purchases subjected us to fraudulent transactions on one of our debit cards. Before we were caused any inconvenience, USAA already had a new debit card in the mail! Their wonderful customer service and fast reaction to the situation assured us we had our funds with the best financial provider. The mobile apps just make our banking experience only 1000 times better! Did I mention, they also refund us when we use non-USAA ATMS?!?! Well they do! Just awesome!!!

Insurance, Yes. Banking, No.

Posted by: 5roths | Oct 21, 2014

If you confine your banking activities to those online, you're probably okay. But anything complicated enough to require a representative will inevitably end badly. Here's something interesting...USAA bank puts a hold on checks issued by USAA Insurance. Go figure.

Good bank for the Internet Savvy

I'd like to say I've been with this bank for over 5 years now. Although at times I wish I could enter a bank to deposit checks or speak to someone in person. This internet serviced banking does a good job with regards to taking care of you. They do refund up to $15 in ATM fees as well, which is nice since they have hardly any physical banking locations. Do I like how low interest rate their checking and savings account are? Absolutely not. They do have very low interest rate percentage so don't expect a bang for your buck putting your money in this company. Just stick with moderate to high risk investments instead that USAA has to offer in brokerage or investment banking. The company does have very good insurance overall which I would recommend to many people and having your insurance carry over to a rental vehicle is a plus. Now customer service is good as well, they will do everything to try to help you out. Their renter's insurance coverage is very good premium as compared to the coverage(s) offered. The auto insurance offers many discount options such as multicar, service, different insurances used, etc. Would I recommend this internet based banking? Yes this is a good bank to work with but are trying to stay competitive with other banks now. This website offers everything you may need in coverages within one company. Offer from medical insurance to banking to auto to home to investments, etc. You will like the bank and what it offers.

USAA is for banking and not much else

USAA is a bank for US Military members and their families, but while their services are adequate there isn't a whole lot of other things distinguishing them from other banks. The interest rate for savings accounts is so incredibly low that it is virtually zero. The bank does reimburse certain fees and they stand by their services, but I've never really had any problems that needed any special care beyond that. Customer service has always been helpful when I did need help, and the employees generally seem to know a lot and care for their customers.

FROM FIRST TO ""WORST"""

Posted by: afraga8 | Oct 4, 2014

THERE IS ALMOST A TANGIBLE STENCH EMITTING FROM THIS BANK'S CONDUCT!!!!

USAA Internet Banking Review

I am an active USAA internet banking user till 2010, The user interface is very fluid and user friend, They have changed the user interface thrice in the last 3 years to make it better, They also have so many tools to manage my funds, Since the bank is open only for members they have the highest security feature, The USAA site has some features like ordering the cheques online, Changing the address online, requesting a new card online which is not available in any other banking site. The also have a intutive UI that helps me to track my account activity more easily. I have banking account with BOA and Chase but the USAA internet banking is the best but it is limited to only usaa members.

USAA For Over 42 Years

One would think that someone would learn after all that time however circumstances proved otherwise, until now. As I said, I've been with USAA for over 42 years and during that time have had mixed reactions with their services. I've banked with them, taken out loans and had home owners and other forms of insurance. At the time, their rates and service was better than most however a few years ago they decided to simply drop my home owners because we live within 75 miles to the beach in Eastern NC. Oh sure, they decided to re-install this insurance after a couple of years but at a much higher price. Now they have decided to limit my banking and other services over the internet because of a Chapter 13 that they knew about for several months. A sort of punishment although this Chapter 13 wasn't anything they didn't know about from day one. I even talked with representatives about it who informed me that it was no problem and something that I had to do, etc., etc. Still when I try to bank with them, I have to jump through other hoops to simply check my statements. Now I'm being treated as a second rate citizen bu them. There are several other banks and or credit unions who might like my money better than these folks.

A really great bank!

I have always loved USAA and have used a lot of the services they offer. The banking is easy, but there can be downfalls to not having branches around. They've made it easier with photo deposit and such so I have no real complaints. The mobile app is pretty easy to use but sometimes a little slow to loud my accounts and I have to refresh, no biggie though. I have my one and only credit card though them and I love it. I had their insurance and I loved it too, but am now with my husbands insurance company. I think the thing that really sold me with them is ease of use and AMAZING customer service. I'll bank with them for years to come :)

No Problems

Posted by: Zabrina | Sep 17, 2014

I have been using USAA exclusively for the past five years for all of my banking and insurance needs. I love that I can do everything I need to do from my phone so not having a physical bank to go to does not affect me in any way. The iOS app is great - being able to deposit checks by taking pictures is especially useful. So far I've used USAA checking, savings, credit card, auto loan, renter's insurance and auto insurance products. Although I am no longer in the service, I can luckily continue to use USAA's services and I don't see myself switching banks anytime soon.

Best Customer Service Hands Down

Posted by: JC | Sep 15, 2014

I have been banking with USAA Bank for over 10 years now and I have never worked with a bank who was so invested in my financial security. They closely monitor my accounts and contact me immediately if they notice suspicious activity. With all of the fears of identity theft, I know I am in good hands with them. Someone had duplicated my debit card information once, but USAA had less than a 24 hour turn around to have the funds back in my account and issued a new card to me immediately. They have a competent and friendly staff and I am very lucky to have USAA as a benefit to myself and to my family. I cannot say enough about them.

Great Bank

Posted by: sd25 | Sep 4, 2014

I have done business with this bank online for years. They are hands down one of the best banks to do business with. They are very friendly. I can always count on someone to help me out when i call them if I need any help. They are kind and polite at all times. My favorite feature of this bank is the one where I can just scan my checks and upload the picture and the money goes into my account. This is very easy and saves my from having to stand in bank lines forever. I will continue to do business with this bank for years to come.

USAA Bank Positive and Negative

Posted by: keishagirl | Sep 2, 2014

USAA is a great bank. I had it when I was 18 years old. I started off with a checking account and they didn't have an monthly fees which was great. They didn't have any overdraft fees either. They would let you know when you were over in your account so you can deposit money and they give you like a week to fix the overdraft. The only problem with USAA is if your not a military family such as: spouse, kids, or had some retired in your family you cannot have the account. Also, for check its hard to deposit because you can only go to UPS stores and not the bank which kid of sucks.

USAA is the best

Posted by: StacyB | Sep 2, 2014

This is the best bank I've ever dealt with. They refund all ATM fees, and are always available if you need to talk to someone. Two different times, I misplaced my debit card, and was immediately able to get in contact with a customer service rep. They put a hold on my card, until further notice. Both times I was able to locate my card and within minutes of making one phone call, my card was active again.
The only downfall is having no physical locations. This is no big deal if you set up automatic paycheck deposits, but is a bit of a hassle of you receive a check or cash you want to put in your account. Sometimes it took up to 10 days for money that was sent in to hit my account, but you just need to be vigilant about keeping an eye on your balance.
Overall, I would highly recommend USAA to anyway. The ease of use, the customer-friendliness and the low fees for everything are just unparalleled.

USAA review

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 28, 2014

I have had a great experience with this bank. No trouble getting a credit card with my relatively low income only working part-time. Any issues I've had with my credit or debit card being lost or stolen has been resolved quickly. In fact, they have express mailed my new card every time. I have a car loan with USAA that worked with me to get a good rate!

Great Bank, Limited Services

Posted by: Gary2014 | Aug 16, 2014

USAA is a fantastic bank, as long as you just want somewhere to keep your money, get a credit card, and pay your bills. However, if you want to get loans, stock, bonds, etc, it isn't so easy. Many of the products are available only to Armed Forces members.

I have had some problems in the past, such as my bank account amount changing from day to day due to different exchange rates. But overall, it wasn't too much of a hassle.

I recommend this bank for anyone who doesn't care about additional services and they simply want a bank with minimal fees.

Will never switch - USAA has a loyal customer for life

I absolutely love USAA. Their customer service is unparalleled (every time I call my problem is resolved and I am speaking with people who are pleasant and easy to deal with) and they seem to be much further past their competitors in terms of their offerings. For example, I was scanning and mobile depositing checks probably a year or two before I started hearing other banks offer them. I also love that I get direct deposit a day early with them. I have used one other bank since USAA doesn't offer business checking (yet!) and I have been so spoiled by my problem-free 14+ years with USAA that I found the little frustrations that I think are more typical for many bank customers very tiring. Other than maybe occasionally wanting to deposit loose change from my coin jar (something that is really a non-issue), I have not once found there to be any downsides to not having access to a brick and mortar bank as USAA has met my needs every step of the way. I have my credit card (with an extremely reasonable interest rate) through them, inexpensive life insurance, car insurance, renter's insurance, plus checking, savings, and some stock accounts. Other than my business account I have no need to deal with other banks which makes everything from paying bills to keeping all my financial affairs in one place extremely easy. I can honestly say that USAA is the only company that I can recommend without reservation and who I trust completely.

Why I love USAA.

Posted by: ShanonT | Aug 11, 2014

First, I was grandfathered into USAA. I was specifically not in the military but my dad was so I was eligible to be part of USAA. At first glance, I didn't like too much; I thought I paid too much for car insurance and it simply wasn't worth it; however, with time USAA won me over with countless of opportunities to show care and kindness to their members.

First, when I was 16, I opened up a bank account with them; received a debit card, and got car insurance (full coverage through them). When I was 18, I received my first credit card to start building credit and they gave me an amazing for being such a new comer to the idea of credit. If I recall, it was 10%. Which isn't too bad but way better than what other companies were sending me. The few times I had trouble with my card; either they fixed it right away and were able to counteract the problem (aka me double charging it once). No wait or hassles. Just perfect customer service.

Second, I purchased a house through them. I've heard rumors of HOW MUCH A HASSLE BUYING A HOUSE COULD BE? I can tell you, this was the easiest and quickest experience I've ever had. Their mortgage customer service was always with me and always there for me since day 1. Anytime I had a question; I called and they were there. Rarely any waiting and if there was a wait, it was minute.

Third, and this was the biggest thing they've ever done for me. I recently bought a new card; I was being competitive and I got qualified for 4% through USAA. However, when I got offered a 3.49 % to another bank; they were able to get me down to 3% to win me over as a customer. The coolest thing ever that my bank, USAA, was able to give me the best rate for my credit score and even beat the competitor out.

In all, USAA is a great bank who truly cares about their customers. I've heard many great stories from friends and family. I've heard of stories where USAA gives people more money than a car was worth before it was totaled so they could go buy even a nicer car; not by much (I.E. 20,000 car totaled, USAA gives them 22,000)

Thank you USAA for all that you have done. I truly appreciate it. You deserve more stars than I can.

USAA

Posted by: trevorb | Aug 10, 2014

I have auto insurance and a checking and savings account with USAA and have been pretty happy with their service for about 8 years. They are very competitive on their auto policies and I like being able to adjust my coverage and print out a new card on line. I've heard Navy Federal Credit Union offers about the same or better service but I am much happier after switching from state farm and then geico insurance. It is easy to set up automatic bill payments and monitor everything through their site. I have had nothing but good experiences on the few occasions when I have had to call them.

USAA is awesome!

Posted by: Jarhead67 | Jul 25, 2014

USAA is an awesome bank, with a fantastic online presence. Customer service is responsive, and respectful, and they will get things right if anything goes wrong. USAA has great products, at a reasonable price, and they are fair when it comes to fees and stuff like that. I liked the business a bit better before they opened up membership to the world, but it's still a great bank.

Always Helpful

Posted by: Kyle | Jul 21, 2014

USAA has always had great customer service. Whenever we had questions or problems with our accounts, they were just one phone call away. Their people are courteous and understanding. Their rates and fees aren't always the best, but the loyalty makes up for it.

Excellent bank for military members

Posted by: PeteB | Jun 23, 2014

I've used this bank for the past 25 years while serving in the military. They have always been top notch. Never had any problems banking while deployed or stationed overseas. They understand the uniqueness of serving in the military, and provide products that complement folks in that environment. Will continue to use USAA for the rest of my life. My kids will most likely use USAA for their entire lives also.

Best Bank Ever

Posted by: usaa | Jun 21, 2014

Being Ex-military I decided to go with a military bank. USAA has been by far the easiest and most reliable bank that you could ever ask for. I have always got fast responses when calling their customer service line. The wait time has always been less then 5 minutes and the service has always been excellent and the people very knowledgeable.

USAA All The Way.

Posted by: cnomis12 | May 21, 2014

To others that have had poor experience, I am sorry your circumstances went resolved in your favor as you have claimed.
I on the other hand have been treated very professionally and fairly through debit card fraud, credit card approval, loan approval, and renters insurance.

I have personally utilized their automation tools through their online banking system to setup notifications to my email and phone when large sums of money is moved from any of my accounts. There is also systems to put in place if you set it up to notify you if charges are being made outside your state/country.

I have been a victim of debit card fraud for almost 1k in two days. Via my text notification monitoring my account I was informed and contacted their fraud department. Same day they temporarily refunded my money while they investigate. If you are like me, you don't use a check or credit card often. So USAA sent me a new debit card 3 days later at their expense. 3 months after investigation they determined that it was indeed fraud.
Some people have not taken the time fully understand most banking rules and regulations from my perspective. Banks are not required to refund money from debit card fraud.

Customer service has been phenomenal, I have never waited more than 10 min. And every time it has been a prominent english speaker who went out of their way to give advice and do extra work they weren't required to do.

Also, I have taken the time to visit the physical location of USAA to meet the folks who have taken care of me. And I have never had so many people come up to me and thank me for my service. So many people working happy and humble spoke how eager they are to wake up each morning knowing that they will do their best to serve their Members as they call their customers.

And some of these other posts seem fairly old compared to me submitting this in 2014.
Again, I am sorry to see some of the people who have voiced a negative experience, but their ratings seem to only reflect only one experience vs long term exposure with the company.

Those who are serving should have plenty of stories about the company, so I suggest asking them on their experience before taking advice from random users such as myself.

USAA Big Bank Fooling The Military!

I think that USAA is violating federal and state banking laws when they say only people who have served honorably in The U.S. military can get services from USAA! If a bank said anyone who has served in the U.S. military could not get services that would be discrimination under federal law and also New York state law. So, why does USAA do it to non military members? Why does the federal government and the the state let USAA get away with is? Make the become a Credit Union so they can choose the type of members who are allowed to join! Why can't people who serve or served in the State military be able to join {State defense forces USC title 32 sec 109 forces}? USAA needs to stop fooling themselves they are not military friendly! They're just another big company that found a group to sucker and sorry to say its the U.S. military!

Non-Competitve Rates For Cds And Savings

Posted by: kcfield | Dec 31, 2013

USAA still has fine customer service, but their long term CD rates are about 1/3 of Pen Fed (1.06 vs 3.04 for 5 or 7 years) and similiarly, their savings rates (.10 to .30) don't compare with more highly rated banks like American Express (.85) or Discover (.85). Worse, their bank rating through Weiss has recently slipped to "C" While other products like their credit cards and auto insurance remain among the best, military and affiliated families can no longer, in my view, trust their financial futures to USAA. USAA senior management has been notified of this concern three times over the last two years. They reply politely, say it will be evaluated; yet have lowered their rates further since original notification. We have moved our life savings out of USAA due to the poor interest rates.

Deposits Holds

I opened an account with them due to my brother loving this bank. But I found out fast that I should came here first. They really don't want you to put deposits into their bank. They only want direct deposits and they hold your checks a long time. The staff is friendly as long as you don't have any problems as soon you start to complain about something it goes south and they basically tell you to bank somewhere else. End the end a lot them ask why we even bank with them.

USAA Customer Service

I have been a member of USAA for over 40 years. During this time, I have personally witnessed an obvious overall decline in USAA's customer service. When I initially joined USAA, most of its employees (representatives) were prior service (military) personnel. That is definitely not the case any longer. Most, with whom I have spoken, cannot or appear to have no desire to relate to military personnel. I have found this to be true in both the insurance and banking functions. Most times they are in a "rush" to move onto the next "customer" (we used to be referred to as "members" ), perhaps not giving you the "correct" answer or response. Perhaps. the chain of command should be paying a little more attention to troops? Just my 2 cents worth.

USAA Lost Site Of Their Mission

Posted by: KenKrock | Sep 17, 2013

As a USAA member since the late 1960s I too am disappointed with the deterioration of USAA in recent years. They now seem to be more concerned with advertising and selling jewelry than providing good service and rates. In the past USAA did not need to advertise because the word about their fine reputation spread rapidly among the new recruits. USAA rarely provided the best rates, but they consistently provided very good rates. That is no longer the case. While I am still pleased with their insurance products, I now hesitate to call USAA about financial matters because I know they are going to try to sell me an annuity or direct me to some other product that I really do not want.

USAA Customer Service

Posted by: arlen4 | Sep 11, 2013

As a 20 year plus member of USAA their customer service has always been 5 stars +.

USAA Identity Verification- A Trap

Posted by: zebra | Jun 29, 2013

USAA let me open a new account as easy as any other banks. But this was just a beginning of a nightmare. It did not verify the identity when I opened the account, didn't do it when I tranfered fund to USAA. Only after I transfered fund out of USAA, my account was suddenly locked without any notice.

I called in for help and was told it needed to verify my identity. They asked for driver license, ss card,and utility bill. I sent them and wait for a week. No feedback. I called them again. This time, I was asked to submit the lease and tax return. i sent them and wait for a few days. No feedback again. I called for the 3rd time. I was asked for the phone bill and 3 year tax return. Each time when I called in, they asked more for identity verification. They never told me what they really wanted from me at the beginning.

I told them I did not apply any loan or credit card, it just a normal checking account. Why did they ask for 3 year tax return? The representative told me, "You have fund here. You'd better do what I tell you to do, if you want to access the fund."

I asked them why you did not verify my identity when I opened the account, but did it after I put fund in USAA? Why did you give me any notice, if I really lacked any document at the beginning.

No direct answer to my question at all. They just said to me, they had the right to lock my account at any time without any notice and did the identity verification at any time.

I was locked out of my account for long time. USAA set up a trap at beginning to lure me to transfer fund to USAA. But when I transfered the fund out, they did not like it and blocked my accessibility, then played the games to me. After I sent one document, they insisted they wanted another one. After I sent another, they changed the mind and required extra files.

It was the worst banking experience in my whole life. They hold the whole amount of my deposit. I could not pay the bill, I could not shop, or travel. The specialists were under-trained and under-educated persons. I could felt it throught the way they talked to me. I had much experience with all major banks. From the communication with USAA employees, the quality of USAA representatives were much lower than the national average level.

Probably you did not feel the service difference among the major bankers because you did not meet the inferior ones. In my mind, USAA employees were like from a special sector of the society, which lacked the education of accreditation colleges.

My dizaster with USAA was not ended yet. I will update the USAA story when I have time.

USAA Is Crap; Does Not Support Military Like They Claim

I was with USAA for about 10 year with multiple accounts, checking, saving, auto loan, auto insurance, and renter's insurance. Upon recieving orders to deploy to Afghanistan I attempted to put my mother on all of my accounts so she could take care of my bills, and since she was going to be driving my truck while I was deployed.

USAA flat out denied allowing her to be put on my accounts, and tried to tell me that for auto insurance my mother would be covered as if she was me driving my truck. That is a load of crap, any intelligent adult knows that is not the case.

Their customer service sucks.

I immediately switched financial intutions and will forever recommend to my soldiers they avoid USAA as if it were the plague. and I will never use this crappy institution again!!!

I also agree with others if i could I would rate this bank with 0 stars!

USAA Has Gone Down The Tubes

Posted by: bobtuba | Apr 2, 2013

It has been eye-opening seeing the negative comments about USAA on a number of financial services fora. I've been with USAA for 33 years, never a late or missed payment, never an overdraft, and I think my last and only automobile claim was for a couple hundred back in 1982. When you look up "low risk" in the encyclopedia, it has my picture! Anyway, I am one of those who was always singing the praises of USAA over the years and I, too, ignored the warning signs of a formerly excellent organization that got too big and started chasing too many higher risk customers to the detriment of the former core customers. It's particularly disheartening when I think about how good they used to be, say, 20 years ago.

I had two extremely negative experiences last year, one with Mortgages as I started construction of a new home, and later with Property Insurance as I tried to insure it. In both cases, it appeared that the decision makers have been moved behind a wall, well insulated from the annoying customers, protected by 17 layers of middle management, not one of whom is empowered to actually make a decision. Essentially, USAA left me standing at the altar twice in a row on this real estate deal, and that's something I can't forgive. I then began the process of moving all my USAA business -- banking, credit cards, auto / property / life insurance, investments, you name it -- to other firms. After 33 years. I thought it was just me. But I see I am not alone when I look at all the reviews around the Internet instead of just those cherry-picked by USAA on their site...

In sum, with regards to the banking business:

The Good: Mostly competent online banking with no fees or reasonable fees if you do things right. Average credit cards. Use any ATM.

The Bad: Other banks offer better rewards on their cards. Customer service starts to fall down if your situation does not fit into their cookie-cutter checklist mentality.

The Ugly: Never, ever deal with their mortgage origination. You will regret it. Also, it is impossible to speak to anyone who is actually empowered to make a command decision about anything.

Deceptive Bank

Posted by: jricher | Feb 5, 2013

I attempted to refinance a loan and after telling them time and time again of issues which I identified they would not fix the errors. They even went as far as to tell me it was alright to let my homeowners insurance lapse. When the loan didn't go through I was assessed something called 'Forced Insurance" by the orginal mortgage holder. In the end it was evident they were just attempting to push the loan through regardless of the issues which I brought up. They were deceptive and yes, they straight out lied in an attempt to get me to sign the paperwork. They have refused since to even publish a similar review to this one on their site.

Violation Of Trust, Poor Ethics, And Bad Business Behavior By A Formerly Trusted Company

USAA is a large insurance company who claims to serve our nations active and former military and their families. They have had a good reputation in the past however they have adopted the same business practices that have corrupted many other companies. I have been with this company since I was 16 years old which is nearly 30 years ago. Recently I received the harassing phone call of the "you owe us money and we will not stop calling you until you pay us" phone calls that everyone seems to receive despite their credit standings or their diligence to pay on time. I have both home and vehicle insurance with USAA. Without notification USAA raised the rates on my home insurance and took the funding out of the payments made to my auto insurance. They then told me I had until the end of the month to pay a hundreds of dollars or my auto insurance would be cancelled. This is extortion since they know that it is illegal to drive a vehicle without insurance. USAA bank is associated with USAA and therefore receives the worst possible rating due to this practice. I recommend that USAA be avoided since this is a substantial violation of customer trust in what a company can do with their customers’ accounts and how they extort their customers by placing them in jeopardy of the law.

Great Customer Service, Non-Competitive Savings And Long Term CD Rates

Posted by: kcfield | Dec 8, 2012

USAA still has wonderful customer service, but no longer has competitive long term CD and saving rates, especially in comparison to other military affiliated institutions like Pen Fed, and institutions local to them like SACU. While I cannot post individual senior management email addresses, as per the policy of this site, their general senior management contact email, for those USAA members who want to express their concern and recommendations is EXECUTIVECOMMUNICATIONS@usaa.com

Ridiculous Funds Unavailable

If you have lots of money and don't need it available, this might be okay.  But when you sign up for their links and they have direct access to account information regarding your "outside" account, why should your money be unavailable for almost a week?  On the first day of the month, I posted a transfer from my credit union to USAA.  On the second day of the month, the transfer was made by my credit union.  Yet the funds are not available at USAA until the seventh day of the month.  I won't make that mistake again.  Closing this account soon.

HORRIBLE CREDIT CARDS!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 26, 2012

This bank is by far the WORST bank EVER! I'm navy and there is no USAA bank in San Diego AT ALL! We JUST got a "financial center" to where you can walk in and use the computer. LOL. No money is held in the facility which also means no transactions can take place there! They do NOT report to the credit agencies as often as they should and hold checks for TOO long! I would not recommend USAA to my DOG!

Customer Service: In Training

I've been a USAA member for 18 years and until a year ago I thought USAA was the best financial institution anywhere.  But I've had to call customer service six times in the last year to correct errors they've made.  The last experience was the worst.  They had incorrectly shown my bank account as overdrawn and posted a $400 charge to my credit card for the overdraft.  After 30 minutes on the phone with the checking section my balance was corrected, but I had to speak with the credit card section to get the overdraft reversed.  The credit card customer service representative was completely inept and so I asked to speak with a supervisor.  At that time I was connected to a member of the executive resolution department.  She indicated that the overdraft would be reversed and the $400 would be taken from my checking account and credited back to my credit card account.  Well, 3 days later, the $400 was taken out of the checking account, but unfortunately never showed up as a credit on my Visa card.  Five days after the original phone call, the same member of the executive resolution department said she would research it and get back to me.  All told, I spent over 1 hour on the phone; and this was just one instance.

After all this I asked the executive resolution member why customer service has dropped off so much.  She informed me that USAA has doubled its membership in the last couple years and will need a little time to get the new customer service representatives trained.  Well, since I'm unwilling to serve as an experimental subject for the training of USAA personnel, I'll be closing my accounts.

No Protections In Place To Prevent Fraud

Posted by: wertin593 | Oct 22, 2012

Incompetent...never received checks I ordered--they were sent without the ability to track.  I was told I chose that method--no I did not, was never offered any options, just assumed that check order would be handled securely. What do I do?  Asked to stop payment on lost checks and was told payment could not be stopped on checks that are electronically submitted--what checks aren't electroniclally submitted these days?  I was told I could close the account and open another one.  All of this because of someones incompetence.  If USAA bank can't handle a check order securely how would they be handling any other banking transaction?

USAA Banking And Insurance

Posted by: Lima1 | Sep 10, 2012

The service and products at USAA have gone way down hill since I joined in 1981.  Bad advice, bad service, bad everything.  I recently moved to Allstate insurance after 30 years at USAA because of poor service. I am going to transfer all my banking accounts shortly. Allstate was less expensive for the same coverage. USAA does not appreciate it's long term customers, and I no longer trust their advice.  I agree with another post on this site, I would give them 0 stars if it was an option.

USAA Phone App Is Crapp

Posted by: Kat | Jun 20, 2012

Attempted to deposit two checks on a Saturday, one 9150, one 750.

Opened the first check envelope for 9150 and deposited with no problem.  Confirmed receipt.

THEN, opened the second check envelope for 750 and the app could NOT accept the picture.  Tried 10 times.

Tried again on Monday and could not get the check deposited.

Call them to discuss and the agent seemed unaware that you can even deposit your money by phone app.

Told me to call their web services.

Today, USAA took $8400 out of my account, claiming that the picture they had for the 9150 deposit was a $750 check.  Of course, that was impossible from my end.  They screwed up the image files.

Did they call and tell me they took my bank balance?  No.  Did they e-mail?  No.  Did they text?  No.  They sent a letter by mail.  If I had not been checking my account, I would not have known for a week that they had taken that money out of my account.

USAA constantly calls and e-mails and texts for any little thing.  But not for this.

THEY got their image files fouled up.  Talking with "executive" resolution specialist was like talking with a corporate attorney.  Her message to me:  YOU screwed up.

If you use this phone app for deposits, they tell you to destroy your checks.  DON'T DO IT.  I fortunately saved my 9150 check, but I had already deposited the 750 check with my local bank.  Now USAA is going to claim those funds.

It is a toss up to see who will actually get that money and who will charge me $40 for a returned check.

You CANNOT get ANY customer care at USAA.  This is the THIRD major screw up by them this year.  Their insurance adjustors have NO CLUE about what they are doing and tried to process a claim on a car I don't even own and then on a car that had never been in an accident.

Their "resolution specialists" are taught only to take a company line and get you off the phone.

USAA Hurt My Family

Posted by: EdStarski | Jun 16, 2012

USAA really hurt my family. I am a disabled veteran and had my veteran's disability stolen by USAA due to a bank error. They refuse to take responsibility so I filed a lawsuit. They hired a multi-million dollar law firm to fight me with paperwork. Please help me by signing my petition against USAAEconomic Justice Petition: USAA Bank: Stop being malicious towards a disabled veteran! | Change.org

Great Bank, Excellent Services

Posted by: leprasmurf | Jun 1, 2012

I love USAA, and can't recommend it enough.  I have had nothing but fantastic customer service (approximately 8-10 calls), and I love the unified interface.  I especially love the fact that just because I have a joint account with someone, not all of my accounts are exposed.  The security of the web interface is what I'd expect of a bank, and the UI is very sleek.  I love this bank.

Horrendous, Disrespectful, Probably Illegal

I opened an account with USAA after Wells Fargo began implementing new service fees that made keeping my checking account with them financially unviable. I chose USAA because of the rave reviews, free checking, innovative services, and because they cater to the armed services community; I work in international health and am based in rural Africa, so I figured my situation would not surprise anyone there.

Opening an account and getting checks and my ATM card was a breeze. I electronically transferred a sum of money, and after it was verified, began making payments from this account. My payments were immediately returned, incurring "returned payment fees" on several occasions. Confused, I attempted to login to my USAA account, only to find it was "restricted". I called, and after waiting on hold for close to thirty minutes and being referred to their Fraud department, was told that USAA had reserved their right not to do business with me.

USAA closed my account with no prior warning, so that I personally incurred large fees as I was completely unaware of my account's suspension. After numerous phone calls they have provided no explanation whatsoever. The funds I had accessible online are still being held by them. When they are released, they will be in the form of a check, which is useless to me in rural Africa; these funds are essentially lost to me.

I cannot understate how frustrating this process has been, and I would strongly urge all potential customers to avoid this bank at all costs. I had no idea when I signed up for my "free checking" how much time, money, and stress it would cost me. Charles Swab's checking account has the same benefits and with no foreign transaction - they presumably treat their customers better than USAA, but of course this is not saying much.

First Checking Account

Posted by: Anonymous | May 16, 2012

I opened a checking account with USAA about two or three weeks ago and I will be closing it as soon they release the funds I deposited. I deposited about $700 to the account and I saw today the checks won't be clearing for 6 DAYS! This was the last straw for me between driving 30 minutes to deposit checks because there are no other faster options for non-military and waiting almost a WEEK for them to clear I have had enough with USAA and will be switching banks.

TERRIBLE Service

Posted by: Anonymous | May 15, 2012

USAA offers the worst customer service of any company that I have dealt with. They offer multiple consumer products (insurance, banking, investment, etc.). If you use them for more than one thing (insurance, banking, investment, etc) they will block you from being able to use their services if you have any type of dispute. Absolutely POOR customer service. DO NOT do business with them! You will be much better served by going with a local company. They don't offer anything substantial enough to make it worthwhile to deal with their terrible customer service.

Banking And Mortgages

I would highly recommend that any one interested in starting a checking acount or using USAA for a mortgage DO NOT.

First USAA is very inconsisted in depositing YOUR money in Your account.  Most months the deposit will go in on time, but if the deposit or trnasfer of funds happens on a weekend or Monday or Holiday, your account will not be credited till Midnigh Monday (really Tuesday).

After having several differt mortgages through USAA for over thirty years and wamted to refinance a existing mortgage, USAA said no.  I have never missed a mortgage payment or be late.

So, say goodbye to USAA before you start.

Timothy J. Currie

Member since 1970.

Horrible If I Could Give Zero Stars I Would

Posted by: Dagg2004 | Apr 21, 2012

Im in the military and this bank used to be amazing it has lost it all over the last three years.  accounts being frozen for just about anything and to get it unfrozen its pulling teeth even more so on leave about to go on deployment and coming home from deployment.  when i rely on having access to money.  this bank also gave me bad advise with the money i saved on deployment for a new car.  by the way temporarily placing money in mutual funds for 4 months not a good idea.  i was charged fees when i took it out and which was alot more then the 20 or so dollars i made.  recently i transfered money into my savings i needed to dip into it and transfer funds to checking it cost me $25 dollars to transfer 50 to force thee transfer.  would have been nice to know that.  there insurance is average there phone service.....the only way you can really get service because theres no branch anywhere sucks as of late almost like they dont care if they lose accounts.  they lost mine and i work with recruits im spreading the news that they arent what they used to be and navy feds the way to go.  im going to navy fed they have placed branches near every base around the world.  also before i end this ranting.  when there was a scare of military not getting paid like 8 months ago.  usaa said too bad.  navy fed was going to release it anyway take a hit until we would get back paid.  shame on you usaa you dont serve us active duty military anymore.

I'll NEVER Bank With Anyone Else But USAA! LOVE This Bank!

This bank is incredible. I feel that the previous reviews are a bit whiny and that this has become an uncontrolled forum for venting.

I've been with USAA for 3 years now and am absolutely in love. Their people are capable, professional, and personable. I've ALWAYS gotten all questions answered and problems solved on the FIRST call. Their online banking is absolutely second-to-none. You slide your debit card and it's IMMEDIATELY visible on the iPhone or Android app, no matter where in the world you are.

They charge just 1% on all international transactions, meaning that they aren't making any money on the transaction, just covering their own costs. This was confirmed by a good friend of mine who works for a completely different bank. Wells Fargo, Chase and BofA all charge 2% and sometimes additional fees to use their cards or make ATM withdrawals overseas.

I've never experienced a lenghty hold time when calling USAA either. If you check other forums online, you'll see how incredibly content their customers are. 4.5 out of 5 stars on Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/usaa-fede...san-antoni), Best Bank in an independent review (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/usaa-bank-earns-top-spot-in-customer-experience-report-comparing-160-large-us-brands-2012-01-27), Best Bank on Simple.com (https://www.simple.com/blog/Banking/the-best-bank-in-the-us/), and the list goes on and on and on....

Main reasons I'm in love:

-Online banking is easy, secure, accurate, instant, and feature-rich.
-Friendly, professional people by phone who get things done correctly the first time, every time.
-Deposit-at-Mobile is THE best product in the industry. No holds or restrictions like the big banks (Chase): take a photo of both sides of the check, submit it on your iPhone or Android, and the funds are IMMEDIATELY available in your account. Amazing. Makes me want to ask friends for checks instead of cash, just so I can use this feature!
-Text alerts are customizable and extremely helpful
-Website is able to handle 99% of my questions, concerns, or banking needs - including changing my PIN number INSTANTLY.

This bank is absolutely worth your time to try out. If you're not satisfied, you're not capable of being satisfied by ANY bank. They are simply THE BEST.

Very Happy With USAA

My wife and I really like our checking account with USAA. We've moved a few times in the past year and their customer service over the phone has been great. Free checks for life, and rebates on atm fees is also fantastic. If you don't need money from a check in a hurry, depositing by mail works well.

Overall, we've been very happy with USAA and will continue to bank with them for a long time.

Not Competitive And Painfully Slow!

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 17, 2012

I have insurance through USAA, but their Bank is painfully slow and can't compete with RBFCU, It's as simple as that. I bought a car from a member who banks with USAA. It took them for ever to cash the Buyers Check. Keep in mind that USAA and RBFCU are in the same city!!!! And now, the lien is paid, it's been two weeks and the member still does not have the Title, Jeeezzzzz!

Their Credit Card rates are twice as high as RBFCU plus they are variable. Randolph Brooks is fixed! You can't see their interest rates unless you join, wow. Banks are out, credit unions are in!

DO NOT GET A MORTGAGE WITH USAA, THERE ARE FAR BETTER COMPANIES TO GET A VA LOAN FROM.

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 17, 2012

I was pre-approved for a loan. I applied for the loan and everything seemed in order I thought. I was answering the questions with questions and kept getting "we can't tell you how to answer the questions." It takes USAA 45 days to process a loan. I called every week to see what the status of the loan is, kept getting "waiting for an underwriter." I was also asking is there any other information from me, or do I need to do anything and they kept saying "no your are fine." 30 days into the process USAA came back and said we declined your loan application. NICE.

It took my loan officer at least 2 days to call me back after I left a voice mail.

This is the worst experience I have had with a bank to date.

USAA Bank Cares NOTHING About It's Members Or The Military

Posted by: usaasucks | Dec 24, 2011

They have a fraud dept that does NOTHING when OBVIOUS fraud occurs, they are complete idiots. It is Christmas Eve day and ZERO notification from the bank I have used for almost 10 years that my debit card info had been compromised. Two identical charges made in CALIFORNIA at a Shell station and I live in TX but no one notifies me or tells me ANYTHING. Spoke to fraud dept just now and they basically said "too bad" and then tried to blame the fraud on me because I used my debit card locally here in TX". Really??? And I will not have access to ANY MONEY now for up to 10 days until I get another card. Merry F***** Christmas to my child when he won't have gifts.

I Love USAA

Posted by: pysteph | Dec 15, 2011

I've never had an issue with them, and frankly, I'm shocked at all the difficulties people have had in the comments.  I'm in the Air Force and have been with USAA since 2006.  Their customer service is always prompt and polite, and I love that they pay dividends on everything, including car insurance and checking account (or there's interest or something - either way, you get money).  I also like the fact that you get ATM fees refunded.

I also find it amazing that everything is instant.  If I want to transfer money between accounts, I can do it on my phone and the money's there instantly.  Or if I deposit a check by sending them a picture, the funds are also in my account instantly.  Seriously, what other bank does that?  There's always some kind of hold with other banks.  USAA takes me at my word that the check is worth that much and that I'm good for it.  I have pretty much everything with them.

The only two downsides I can see is that they don't have a physical branch, so if I wanted to deposit cash, I wouldn't be able to.  I've never had to, so I'm not really worried about that.  Of course, there may actually be a way to do that, but I'm unaware of it.  The second one is that I've seen higher savings rates elsewhere.  I think also lower car insurancem but it wasn't by much, and I wouldn't trade it.

After 10 Years, This Is How They Treat People?

If you had asked me if I like my bank, I would have said yes, pointed out everything good about it and tried to get you to switch. NOT AFTER TODAY! We deposited a check at our local UPS store on Friday. A small amount, $700, no big deal, our pay checks are more than that. They only released $100. Ordinarily, that wouldn't be a problem, however we had to pay for vehicle repairs and came into hard times. We were supposed to go to Alabama for Thanksgiving but thanks to USAA customer service giving us the wrong information, our funds won't be "released" to us until Friday. Believe me, when this ordeal is done, I'll go to Navy Federal or some other bank. The representative I spoke to told me it wasn't her fault, she couldn't do anything about it (mind you, she was supposed to be a supervisor) and I would have to wait until Friday to speak to somebody about getting them released. If we had known this hold would have been this long, we would have just gone to a check cashing place instead of taking 8 days of leave only to not be able to go anywhere or do anything because of a hold. Thanks for ruining a holiday USAA!

Usaa Bank The "Do's And Donts"

Like any bank you hafta be very careful with investing your money into a company. Especially a bank. I would recommend not getting any insurance through these guys and deffinately not not opening any credit cards. Also be sure to avoid over-draft fees. This company has higher interest then Bank of America, and thats saying a lot.

USAA Is An Insurance Company First; They Are Still Refining On The Other "Stuff"

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 18, 2011

I am the spouse of a Navy officer, and I consider myself fairly savvy with finances: retirement; insurances--life, property, etc; business accounts; bonds; stocks; mutual funds; options; futures; etc. USAA, at its core, is an insurance company; it knows insurance VERY well and it shows.

The other financial products (savings, banking, loans, retirement, investing) are not the core business of USAA, so it is not surprising that they do not perform as well in these areas. That being the case, USAA is highly innovative considering their target consumer audience (mobile military families) that cannot "bank" at a "brick and mortar" bank in nowhere America.

We have two car loans, one credit card, one investing account, all our property and casualty insurance, and our life insurance with USAA. The insurance rates are excellent compared to competitors (not surprising considering the above). The car loans were not the cheapest, but definitely had less hassle compared to other loans I have procured and paid off. The credit card and bank appears to work quite well. Every time I have interacted with USAA on the phone (about 6 to 9 times), they are patient, thorough, and helpful. The one time someone messed up (while underwriting one of the life insurance policies) the supervisor personally rectified the situation within 48 hours.

We do not have our retirement accounts with USAA because the expense ratios for their mutual funds are simply too high. The trading commission schedule is also not as competitive as others I have seen.

USAA is NOT for a "high-maintenance" customer; they are for the modern, do-everything-on-the-road customer. We have lived in five states and two countries outside the USA. We never pay ATM fees, either in the bank account or the investing account. We receive excellent exchange rates on the banking and credit card accounts in foreign currencies. USAA works with us for "worldwide" insurance.

It is the service factor for our modern mobile world that makes USAA worthwhile; not "to make the most money". I would recommend them to anyone that qualifies for the property and casualty insurance because this is their main power play; once you get this, everything else that turns out, well, is simply icing on the cake.

Holds Reg CC

Posted by: clstrang | Oct 12, 2011

I've worked at a bank for several years - Wells Fargo, to be exact. Wells Fargo is an extremely conservative (not in the political sense) bank in terms of funds availability. I placed holds on tons of things that my friends who worked for smaller banks would laugh at. But when I started banking with USAA, I was honestly shocked at the ridiculousness of the holds they place on checks. I deposited my paycheck, and there is a four day hold on the funds from the check, which was less than 1,000.00. I have never in my life experienced this or would have even thought about placing a hold for that long, or at all, on someone's paycheck that was that small. I understand that what they do is legal under Reg CC, but to anyone that needs funds availability in less than a 5 days or so, I would run away from USAA as fast as I could. Closing this puppy out the second this hold is released and I can write a check for the balance to my other account. Complete waste of time.

Disappointment

I recently made an error depositing a check via deposit@mobile and two months later they reversed the check twice. I have called 5 times and been placed on hold for over 45 minutes each time. I finally had to beg to get a supervisor's number so that I could get the solution resolved. In all they held $500 from my account for 13 days. What if I didn't have enough money to cover that amount? What would they have done if I had bounced a check?

I cannot recommend this bank to anyone that is looking for full service. If you need an event sponosored for wounded warriors or Army vs. Navy they are hard to beat but banking....not their cup of tea.

Meh, Nothing Special

Posted by: bully72 | Sep 18, 2011

So I have USAA through my dad for the insurance on both home and auto. That's what you want if you can get it. We figured the bank would be super as well. We have checking and a credit card through the bank end, and, well, meh. What do you really want from an online bank? They honor checks, provide ATM cards, oh, and they rebate fees other ATMs charge. That's kinda cool, but not the real reason for staying. The real reason is that I have no desire to put up with changing accounts if I don't have to. BUT, I've never worried about FDIC taking it over, and generally never had a problem.

Not Joining

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 3, 2011

I was seriously considering opening an account with USAA Bank. But now, no way. After reading the problems that people have had with this institution. It's too bad that the bank started out performing such a gallant service, and have ended up as such a cesspool.

Decent Bank, Insurance, Etc... Horrible Mortgage Department

Posted by: devo96 | Aug 30, 2011

i've been a member of USAA for 15 years, and have had some ups and downs with them.  their banking is top of the line, their computer banking is state of the art, and their insurance rates are low with great service to back it up.

i have about 10 years ago received a mortgage from them to buy a house.  the process was smooth and easy.  the processor was on top of the loan, and communicated with me every step of the way.

that said, i'm now in the final stages of trying to buy a house through their mortgage department.  i had a 60 day closing window, which USAA failed to meet.  i'm now 2 weeks past that.  the processor hardly speaks english and can't write a legible sentence on email.  so i'm dealing with the supervisor.  i've met all the conditions of the pre-approval, before the orginal closing date.  the package has been submitted to underwriting at least 3 times (all after the original closing date) and each time they come up with a new set hoops to jump through.

the mortgage department seems disorganized, and the processors don't really seem to know what they're doing.  they don't communicate: with each other, or with the customer.  i will not seek another loan from them.  the smaller, local banks can do a much better job than these mega-banks....

USAA - HORRIBLE SERVICE- Orearado@Comcast.Net

Posted by: orearado | Aug 1, 2011

USAA has become no better than all of the other Monster mega-banks.  They actually denied my REFI after they took the $350 application fee.  They did this the day before closing.  They termianted the loan because my wife was ill and could not sign papers. Once she recovered as was able to sign, they would not allow her to sign.  SHE HAD BEEN ILL FROM DAY ONE, THEY KNEW THIS.  Even though I have a Court order Guardianship giving me authority to sign, USAA denied the loan.  They did this the day of the scheduled closing.

They have grown to the point they a no better than monster mega BANK.  With the limited locations USAA offer, it is better to use a local bank.

Oh not to mention the Rewards programs was cancelled.

Why have USAA bank-?

Great Bank...Sucky Rules

I've had this bank for about a year now, and up until today I have had no complaints about it. My mother actually opened this account up for me when I was away at college so I have never put a check into my account before. I didn't really have to put any money into my account until I got a job. This job just directly deposited my money into my account, so I never had to worry about it.

However, last week my boyfriend wrote a check out for me and I had to figure out how to put it into my account. My mom told me that  I just have to take a picture of the check and they put the money right into your account. This, of course, is more complicated than it sounds, so I looked it up on USAA's website. There, they said that you not only had to have a USAA bank account, but you also had to be qualified for a loan. For whatever reason, I'm not qualified for one, so I can't deposit this check I have sitting around into my account. I also don't live near a USAA branch location so I can't just ask a teller to do it for me. I am really annoyed.

If USAA didn't have this silly rule and they had more branches open, it would be a great bank. Oh well, I'll just have to find another bank that will let me do simple tasks such as cashing a check.

Better Than A Too Big To Fail Bank

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 8, 2011

I closed out my Bank of America account as a gesture of protest and went with USAA mostly because of the no minimum balance free checking. It's also convenient to be able to manage my credit card, bank and insurance accounts all on the same web site. Having been a member of USAA for over 35 years, I have to agree with the other posts about the organization being better when it was restricted to military officers. I think the decline in the quality of service is noticeable. I used to brag about being able to call USAA and have a person answer. Now they're just like any other bank, with a voice recognition menu system that is extremely annoying. Still, it's better than Bank of America and USAA isn't on the verge of failing, like Bank of America appears to be.

I use the deposit from home feature, but mostly for small deposits. All of my major deposits are direct deposit. But it seems to go directly into my account. I am not aware of any hold on the funds, but the amounts are usually pretty small, so they're kind of inconsequential to me. There was always a delay waiting for checks to clear from Bank of America, so I think that's kind of normal.

Terrible Financial Advice, Poor Customer Service, Average Rates

Posted by: jorgey454 | Apr 11, 2011

I'm 25 years old trying to open a retirement account. Not knowing any better, and trusting their advice, I opened a low-growth annuity Roth IRA. Realising my mistake after reading a few financial advice books, I tried to move it to a high-growth Roth IRA mutual fund, again with USAA. After months of un-returned calls, I finally talk to someone competent enough to give it to me straight. Turns out I'm going to have to pay 7% of the thousands of dollars I used to open the account in fines and fees. This has been one expensive, time consuming, frustrating cluster-! from start to finish.

Take your business elsewhere, their rates aren't even that good. Vanguard charges half of what USAA does, and they're getting my business as soon as USAA pulls its head out of its butt long enough to finish the paperwork.

Horrible Mortgage Department

Posted by: mlomba | Apr 3, 2011

I have had USAA for many years for my insurance needs and have added pretty much everything since. Checking, savings, investments...you name it. Those departments are just incredible: great customer service, good resources and plans and hassle free data.

But the Mortgage department is atrocious, I mean all-time bad. I had a ton of problems with my loan processing and the title company had a very difficult time reaching my mortgage representative. On the day I was to close, I waited all day for a call or some sort of instruction and it never came. The title company was told the loan was held up in underwriting where it had been for a week and no one from USAA ever called me to let me know the status.

We did not close and no apology, explanation or status was received. When I complained my mortgage representative said, "Yeah blame me, everyone else does!" No one from USAA has contacted me since and when I wrote a review for their customer website, it was never posted. It is pretty much the same review I've written here.

Looks like USAA is getting too big, too fast and I am seriously considering transferring some of my financial assets away from this bank. Too bad, this was probably the best financial company I've ever dealt with.

What Has USAA Bank Done For Their Members Lately? NOTHING !

Posted by: RickO | Feb 28, 2011

When I joined USAA in 1963, it was a highly select Military Officer only organization. Over the decades this insurance company grew and grew and grew to include dozens of services including banking and membership became available to nearly anybody who is breathing.  They just opened membership to ROTC cadets and believe it or nor, to 'any person who ever was in the military and has an honorable discharge.'  Next, I anticipate 'anybody who has ever seen a John Wayne war movie'.  Oh, and of course as membership selectivity has lessoned, fraud has gone up. Now, we get to the REAL REASON members are treated like dirt. It's 'politically correct' to treat all equally. Thus, the deadbeat dads, the scammers, the con artists and, of course, legacy members of nearly half a century are all equal. Oh, brother!

Sadly, USAA Bank has become a bank like all other mediocre American banks. That means young, inexperienced bank officers who have little, likely no, military background or Federal service experience whatsoever. And these same cookie-cutter robot employees foster the failed banking industry  'we must grow' philosophy (pimped by their managers) that largely destroyed the entire U.S. banking industry including USAA due to greed, bad risks, bad loans and a collapsed housing market. So, who takes the brunt? Certainly nobody in banking got punished or fired. Again, who takes the brunt? Why, the loyal bank customers, who else!

My beef? Now using a great 'deposit by phone' capability I find checks deposited must be HELD until the bank gets the actual money from the institution on which the check is drawn, then the funds are placed in my own USAA account for use. Thus, we are back to the mid-19th Century banking mechanisms. In a word, those who have a record of integrity for decades must suffer waiting along with the deadbeats. The bank overcompensates for their industry mis-management of non-regulated loan policies of the recent past and now takes no risks or gives any latitude whatsoever to honest members. Thus, the ' politically correct' mantra prevails so as not to offend those who abuse the capabilities of rapid 21st Century banking.

Would I recommend USAA to anybody anymore? No! Never! I would suggest getting a hometown bank within blocks of your physical residence. Faraway bureaucratic institutions invariably lose their sense of mission and their raison d'etre. They come to view the customer as 'the enemy' and this is USAA today.

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

We purchased a car and USAA financed us. I was skeptical of how it would work since they are an out of town bacnk. But they made it so easy. They were always available online and over the phone. We just had to log on and print paperwork and voila! It was seriously easier than a traditional loan process! We were so gratfeul to them we got out car insurance through them, opened a credit card with them, and now that we have a baby we are planning on opening her an account with USAA.

I know membership is inclusive, but if you can get in, go with USAA. You can even deposit a check by using your smartphone and take a picture of it! So easy!!!! Whenever you have a question or issue you can call and every rep I have ever dealt with is SUPER nice and will go out of their way to help you.

I will saty with USAA, they impress me!

Poor Customer Service

Posted by: Soldier | Jan 26, 2011

This Bank advertises it is for the Military Service Members and their Families.  Understanding the Military work round the clock and family needs are a 24 hour a day seven day a week requirement around the world when you call this bank you get a computer, automated call distribution system.  Understand this bank doe provide a good online service so when you call the bank you want to talk to a human not a computer.  No instructions are provided for you to opt out of the ACD.  Generally when I call the bank I want a human not an ACD, it takes several minutes and I have experienced up to 15 minutes just to get through the ACD and then wait in cue for a bank staff member.  Imagine you are a Soldier and need to call the bank you have maybe 15 minutes to conduct your business and get back to duty because the bank is closed when you get off duty.  Explain your excuse to your leader why you have to take so much time to get your business accomplished.  I submit the bank does not focus on Military Service Members and their Families it just says it does.  I called to have a check terminated.  After about 10 minutes I was able to speak to a human.  Next, I was referred to another human and again explained my purpose.  I was told the bank could not cancel my check or place a stop payment on the check for at least 24 hours and then they could not grantee the stop payment would take effect.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and received the same message.  What good is a bank if it cannot stop payment on a check quickly and accurately?

Constant Problems

Posted by: Anonymous | Nov 24, 2010

After dealing with constant problems and issues and endless run around with USAA banking, I took my business somewhere else. I still use USAA for vehicle insurance and my kids' savings accounts which never get touched. However, this morning I was reviewing my accounts and noticed that the last time I paid my insurance premium I overpaid by $0.98. In the past any amount overpaid would simply rollover to the next statement in the form of a credit. This time, the amount overpaid was listed as "waived" with no credit being given at all towards my next statement. I called and after a few minutes of computer prompting got an operator who placed me hold. When she came back, she forwarded me to someone else who put me on hold. After a while I was finally told that if I owed USAA $0.98 for an account balance that they would waive that amount and it would "go away" and that is what happened to my $0.98, it "went away." Although this is not a significant amount of money, I can't help but to wonder how much more of my money has "went away" and what type of business practices are being used at USAA? Just imagine if this practice was used on every USAA member....how much extra profit would USAA make?

USAA Bank--Fantastic 7 Year Deal For Big Investors

Posted by: tomlawler | Jul 2, 2010

I just made a "super jumbo" CD (defined as over $175k) at USAA for a 3.79 rate/3.86 yield.  Smaller investors can still get a solid 3.55% yield.  I like that a bank will give a bonus for larger deposits.  On our $200K CD, the extra .30% means $600  more per year--not too shabby.  The application on line takes just 5 minutes as they promise, and that includes the time to link USAA to my local bank.  The transfer went smoothly.

Their phone personnel are awesome.  I had a lot of questions and they were very patient in explaining everything to me.  My only criticism is the website itelf, which is part of the reason I had to call in the first place.  The site is too congested IMO, making it difficult to find what you need.  For example, it takes about three clicks to get to the CD rates page--and the "view rates" tab is in small letters to the far right of the page.   This is only reason I couldn't give them the full 5 stars, but the rate itself more than makes up for the slight inconvenience.

USAA Is One Of The Best Banks I've Done Business With

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 26, 2010

USAA is one of the best banks I've done business with.  I've used USAA for more than a decade.

Their customer service, ACH transfer service, free check-printing for life, and refund of ATM fees charged by other banks make them one of the best.

USAA offers CDs rate that are very good.

I have also used non-banking products offered by USAA such as Mutual Funds, Annuities and I'm very satisfied.