Woodforest National Bank Reviews

Woodforest Issues

Been w/ this bank at least 7 yrs. Each year gets worse.Had few previous on their behalf /midstakes I tried to continue business.How do you over draft on a closed out savings account ? Top it off they charged me $25 for closing savings an keeping the checking..Many retailers do not except their card.An being an account holder M.O. should be free. Its good cause of the direct deposit that comes early. No longer even worth it. Here indpls there is only like one woodforest located inside walmart the store i hate and the line is always long

Great Experience

I recently opened an account in my hometown in NC and have been very pleased so far with my experience. A nonsufficient fund I had gotten, that I was not at fault for, was taken care of by a Teller on my behalf. I was very grateful she took the time to get it resolved for me and my money back in my account. So far, so good with my new banking experience here. Thank you.

BEWARE Woodforest Can't Keep Your Money Safe And Horrible Customer Service

I have been with Woodforest National Bank for at least 13 years, possibly longer. I've had my account(s) broken into 4 times to date. This weekend the thieves stole a combined total of almost $1200 out of 2 accounts. The accounts had two different debit cards. Unless it was an "inside job" or the bank's security is extremely lax, I don't know how they got the debit card numbers for 2 different accounts. It's very upsetting to have your account compromised. It makes you feel horrible. But then to have Woodforest customer service treat you with suspicion and disdain is disgraceful. I asked 3 different employees to speak with the corporate office and was refused a contact number. I asked for my funds to be replaced and was told I'd have to wait until they finished their investigation before my money is returned (if it is returned). The Woodforest fraud department was aware my accounts were compromised. They contacted me to tell me that they had stopped 2 fraudulent transactions from going through my 1st account. Yet they allowed 3 more to go through. Then they called again about my second account to let me know that they had allowed 5 fraudulent transactions to pass through my 2nd account. Yet they still haven't returned my money. When I told them I would be closing my accounts and moving my funds to another financial institution, I was told, "I'm sorry you feel that way." It was obvious that they didn't care if they kept my business or if I took my banking business somewhere else. They don't care about their customers. They try to come across as a bank who donates money and cares about the people in their community. It's a lie. It's a false facade. Take your business to a bank that embraces honest practices, protects your hard-earned cash and treats you with the dignity you deserve.

Goods And Bads Of This Bank

Ive had this account for almost a year ! I loved everything about it even the fact i overdraft and they dont charge any fees except when something tries to come thru that you dont know about then they want to charge you a $29.00 NFS fee even if you dont know its coming thru ! I called to ask them to take it off its my first and only fee to be charged and they said i have to go into the bank and speak to someone ! Why? What the hell is the customer service phone number for if they cant even help you ? The fact that i cant make deposits without going into the bank and only if there open! That sucks bad what if i have a bill due to come out and there closed and i cant deposit the funds then get charged an NFS fee because theres only 2 banks in my whole city and both far from where i live only reason i opened this account was to not have to drive around town and pay bills but looks like id rather do that then spend $29 on nfs fees that could be gas money each month for me to drive and pay my bills !!! Smh bad customer service all the way around ! Ive had other accounts that would cash a check if me and the other person sogned the back they wont cash it for me unless that person is there with me that totally defeats the purpose i do understand why to save someone else but they shouldnt worry about that until something goes wrong then blame the person and make them pay for it ! I opened a new account with another bank furst week there has been way more awesome than the year with woodforest ! They have mobile deposits a bank right up the street from me and atms i can deposit money ANYTIME I NEED TOO! Oh and I accidentally went over $12 and they refunded me the NFS fee immediately im in love with my NEW bank already bye bye woodforest ! Oh and they waived their monthly fees if my account has a direct deposit of so much per month something woodforest didnt do ! They charged me monthly fees No Matter What so GOODBYE WOODFOREST FOREVER

Love them!

I have had an account with Woodforest National Bank since I was 16(ish) years old and I'm now almost 25. They treated me like an adult from the get-go. It was really easy to set up an account. My branch is in our local Walmart. The staff is super friendly & know me on a first name basis. I'm emailed every morning with an overview of the day before. I get my checks from work deposited a day ahead of everyone else. I've never had an issue with someone stealing my information. Those that I know that've had that problem with this bank has had the issue resolved very quickly. I also love that they have late business hours and are open on weekends, as most banks are not.

I love my Bank!

I have been banking with woodforest for over 3 years now! I dont think i would ever choose another bank after working with Woodforest. They offer an app on smart phones where all of your info needed is always displayed and updated correctly. The customer service (IN BANK) and online, and OVER the phone is excellent. Always quick, always helpful, they are always willing to help me with whatever need i may have. And NO monthly fees! They are excellent!

What it lacks it makes up for in Customer Service.

I currently have been banking with Woodforest for about a year now. When I opened my account, I got my debit card the same day, and I remember really liking not having to wait for it to come in the mail. If i've ever had a problem the employees and manager have always taken the time to sit down and go through everything until I get all my questions answered. When I used to bank at bigger banks I felt like they didn't have any time for me. They have a mobile app that I use alot, and it hasn't given me any problems but I do kind of feel like the bank as a whole is a little behind. The things that the bigger banks offer this does not; ATMs do not take deposits, all tickets are handwritten and the mobile application leaves a bit to be desired although it does do many different things. The overdraft fee is $29 as opposed to some banks $32 and $34 fees so that is reasonable. They also offer a good second chance checking account if you have charge offs with other banks, and I hear that is something that not many banks will offer you. All in all the customer service here trumps any minor problems I have with them and I will continue to bank at Woodforest National Bank.

Woodforest bank offers customers what other banks cannot.

I began banking with Woodforest Bank in February of 2017. At the time I was banking with Capital One. Capital One decided to close down all of their branches in Texas. So I had to search for a new bank for my financial needs. I went to First National Bank and the first impression the banker left on me was terrible. I had recently seen Wood Forest Bank inside my local Walmart. I went in and let them know I was interested in opening an account. They were extremely helpful, polite and professional. They opened up my bank account within 10 minutes and handed me a welcome good bag along with my new debit card. They printed my debit card right there and then! No other bank had ever done that for me. They informed me that they are open ever day of the week until 6pm. This was a big plus for me as I do a lot of business week round. I have been very satisfied with my experience with Wood Forest Bank and I intend to stay with them for a very long time.

Worst Ever

This bank is the absolute most fraudulent bank EVER. Damn app requires a star to get out of this application but I would reject every single star to the negatives on all notes.

Bad Service

The two women at the counter, were very rude. They did not know simple banking rules. When I asked to speak with a superior, they refused to provide me any contact information.

Woodforest

The financial institution I'm about to tell you about is a local one in southern Texas outside of Austin called Woodforest Bank that has their branch locations inside of local Wal-Mart supercenters. It was a while ago that I had a checking account with them. I won't name specific people. Getting a checking account initially was difficult because they said I had bad credit, but when I initially applied with them I had virtually NO credit history so I was very shocked and skeptical. I had to call some central number to find out why and then subsequently get approved. At this time in my life I didn't have direct deposit so I'd always go to the local branch in Cedar Park to deposit my pay check. At least a couple of the employees were people I'd gone to high school with. This gave me some comfort and familiarity but I didn't like that they always were gossiping as if they'd never grown up. Looking back I feel as if the bank could have hired more competent and mature employees. Eventually I left that bank and switched to Wachovia which then got bought out by Wells Fargo.

Alright for a last-chance bank

I used Woodforest after some dumb decisions I made in college locked me out for several years of larger banks. Woodforest had a program for second chance bankers which fit my needs when I entered the job force. Their fees are a bit burdensome, but they are taking a bit of a risk on you as you are a "second chance", so it's understandable. Their customer service is really poor and their website and app are nothing to write home about.

However, if you really need a bank account and can't get one with a larger bank, they are a decent option to consider and I never felt fleeced during our relationship, However, once I was able to, I did move on to a bigger bank. So, essentially, consider them if you must and you'll be fine with their service. Nothing special, but nothing terrible. Just be thankful for the second opportunity.

Woodforest Bank

We love Woodforest Bank! We have both our savings and checking accounts there thanks to their "second chance" accounts that cater to those of us who have had problems in the past with bank accounts. They are super friendly and accommodating. Located in Walmart store, they are open 7 days a week but just using their website I can complete most transactions. Their fees are fair and clearly marked so there are no surprises! We look forward to being a customer for a long long time!

Platinum Account Woes

Several years ago, I opened a Platinum Plus account. Under the terms of this account, you are to receive access to funds immediately. The hang-up is that the tellers at the branches have a limited authority to accept the check for deposit-typically $1000 and at the Wal-Mart branches, a manager is often not on duty. After several episodes of waiting several minutes for the teller to make call after call trying to reach a supervisor, we are moving on. The final straw was when the teller balked at us depositing an Allstate claim check and we were both present with IDs. After standing there 10 minutes, we ripped up the deposit slip and took it to another bank. We weren't even trying to get any cash off it, just deposit!

Woodforest Kinda OK So Far

I just opened a 2nd chance checking acct. with Woodforest less than 2 months ago. So far, they've been fair and even credited one NSF fee for refusing to accept a deposit that would have avoided that charge. However, they recently suspended my debit card OD protection privileges for one $10.49 negative balance caused SOLELY by recurring monthly svc. fee!

I wrote an email via their on-site message portal to complain. About 2 days later, reply came back with same crap as first auto-notification that I must wait 60 days with no more OD balances and take a GPS banking course at a local branch. This is very unfair, as sole cause of ONE overdraft was due to BANK-imposed mandatory recurring service charges. Very unreasonable, but I defer overall judgment at this early stage in the game.

Made Me Feel Like A Criminal

I am an ex military wife, my ex husband was in the Marine Corps 1st then U.S Army retired after 24 yrs in, he was deployed to Iraq after 9/11 he stayed there for 5 years then came home for 2 weeks then retired in them 2 weeks and went back over as a contractor working with Special Forces. He has now been there 10 years. All the time he has been there he has sent me money for me to take care of the household bills and to take care of the 3 kids, we divorced in 2004 and he still sent me money til yesterday 06/15/2015 and he would send by way of wiring from his bank account with USAA & Capital One, into my Woodforest account for the last 3 yrs since I moved to Louisiana, I had been with other banks before and NEVER had any problems, today I tried to use my debit card an couldn't so I went to the bank to find out what was wrong, they told me my account was closed for suspicious activity on my account and due to the extensive monitoring required for the activity on your account we regret to inform you your account will be closed. I called and spoke with the corporate office and they said they are not obliged to tell me what was suspicious activity was on my account, We have the same last name and the wires come in his name to my name and they can also see I pay all my bills with my debit card, so they are thinking I am a drug dealer or money laundering, so they closed my account, my 3 kids have accounts with them that now we are closing and I advise you to NEVER bank with them, My ex husband and best friend fights for this country and I can't even have him wire money to me from his bank account to pay bills and take care of the kids as long as I was with Wood Forest National Bank, because to them I am obviously a criminal and not a mother & ex military wife of 24 years!!!

Thanks for giving me a chance WoodForest

I am so happy I discovered Woodforest. In the past I have not been very responsible with my bank account. I thought I would never be able to have an account again. Wood forest has a second chance checking account. I was thrilled when I found out I qualified for an account. At the time I even got a bonus for opening the account. The minimum deposit was $25 but the gave me an additional matching deposit. I don't have a fee if my check is direct deposited and that is a plus. Although, I have had a few complications with timing of deposits etc. I really enjoy this banking institution. If you keep a $1,000 balance you will have a 05% interest. That's better than nothing. Thanks Woodforest!

Great customer service, average business.

I started working with Wood Forest Bank 3 weeks ago. The lady that helped me open the account explained everything thoroughly, and when I had a question she couldn't answer, she called someone higher up in the bank to get an answer for me. I've have been back to the bank several times and she is always there and greets me with a smile and asks how I am doing.

Unfortunately the credit card that I ordered through them 3 weeks ago has yet to arrive, despite the fact that I was told it would come within 10 business days. I've asked the bank and they said they can't track it, so they have no idea where my card is. This is very frustrating, because I have to go to the bank to make a withdrawal every time I go shopping.

However I'm willing to look past it, because the other features are decent. Not the greatest bank out there, but definitely better than some.

Handles Customers Quickly

I originally joined Woodforest simply because it was located in Walmart, where I occasionally do grocery shopping, and I was new to town. Woodforest doesn't seem remarkable in any way except that the tellers and staff are very efficient at their job and have never wasted my time. I have never stood in line more than one minute. When I had to bring in my change of name paperwork for marriage, the teller I was working with did not know how to handle my information. She quickly got someone on the phone who came out and sat me at a desk to process my work. The process took about two minutes. I compare this to a credit union I also belong to. The process there took over ten minutes. As my time is valuable and I hate standing in line, I choose Woodforest for most of my banking.

Woodforest Bank Review

Woodforest bank, being conveniently located inside my local Walmart, was one of the most convenient banks I have ever had the pleasure of working with. It offers extended ours, often open until after 7pm local time on specific nights of the week. This offers especially night shift workers increased flexibility, and allows you to wake later in the day and still be able to conduct banking activities. They offer daily email updates that reflect any new transactions, pending transactions that have now completed, as well as your available and ledger balances. This is quite convenient, as it makes it easy to keep track of your available funds, often preventing overdrafts for those with lower income levels. Fees tend to be the bank's one weak point, as their products often require you to keep a certain income level and / or a specific balance to avoid monthly service charges. At the time of my business with them, this totaled approximately $6 a month for basic checking and an associated savings accout. Other pay per service activities such as money orders and cashiers checks tend to be cheaper than other options. Their online services tend to be smooth with a clean, easy to use interface. The online mobile banking tends to have frequent downtimes, however. All my interactions with the bank tellers as well as customer service were quick, with friendly service. Overall, I would rate my experience very good. If they would lower several of their fees, I would be willing to up this to excellent, making them one of the more competitive banks that I have had the pleasure of working with.

Woodforest: A safe place

This bank is a fairly good bank. The perrsonell, both online support, customer support, and physical locations are all very professional. They have treated me very kindly in my time with them. But they also have fees that some people may not be comfortable with. The main fee I am not too fond of is for people with direct deposit accounts. Woodforest charges at least 6 dollars if one's balance ever goes below 100$ in a month. I am also not too fond of the automatic fraud system, in which certain purchases can be labeled as 'fraud' automatically, preventing you from using your bank card until the hold has been lifted. Woodforest generally serves poorer people and tends to be found in Walmarts as a physical location.

Very Very Poor Bank Is Woodforest

WoodForest Bank has absolutely no excuse for what WoodForest did to me. For some months there was a daily bank statement sent to e-mails online. Suddently, nothing at all. Nothing. Daily was way too much. Monthly, would be fine, but there was nothing suddently, and no explanation whatsoever. My bank account at WoodForest was entirely disolved. Entirely to nothing because of fees. It was called inactivity fees. There was and is absolutely no excuse for no contact. I know persnally of another who couldn't even get postal bank statements from WoodForest. So, WoodFrest is a place of robbery, and not any place of safe keeping. Never use WodForest Bank. Never. I did withdraw from Woodforest.  I aked for a change in my e-mail address, and all was agreed to and fine. This was only a month before my account was entirely disolved. Nobody at the bank knew anything. Weird, huh?

Best Banking Experience I Have Ever Had.

The people are always friendly, knowledgable and helpful. It is actually a pleasure to go to the bank.

A few years ago, there was a time that a company overcharged me by not stopping an automatic charge when they should have. This put my account in the negative. The people at Woodforest forgave the overdraft, helped me to get things straight again, and made sure that company could not automatically charge my account again.

Great people. Great bank. I highly recommend them

WOODFOREST's VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE

Simply not the kind of bank where employees are well trained to resolve issues.  Requests for assistance requires numerous attempts lasting days to weeks.  District managers don't return telephone calls.  By far the most unresponsive of all banks I've ever experienced to date.  Definitely NOT recommended - put your money somewhere else.

A Bank That ACTUALLY Cares About Their Customers

About a year and a half ago, I was looking to open a checking account because another bank had charged me way too much for simple things like calling in and talking to someone at their office ($10 fee). I went to 2 other banks and they refused to open an account for me because of me refusing to pay the ridiculous fees the other banks charged me.

Then I was in my local Walmart and saw a bank there with a sign "2nd Chance Checking" so I stopped in and asked a few questions about their fees and such and then successfully signed up for an account with absolutely no problem. The branch manager, Andrea, personally opened my account and was very kind and friendly.

As the months passed by the tellers at Woodforest got to know me and always were very kind and always called me by my first name when I dropped by to deposit or withdraw money. By the way almost every deposit is available IMMEDIATELY! At the other bank, even though I'm sure they knew me, it seemed like I was just a number to them, maybe because I kept a lower balance than other customers, maybe because I had no huge loans with them, who knows. Also if I made a deposit that wasn’t cash it would take 1-3 business day(s), or more, to be available to me. Not at Woodforesst! The tellers at WOODFOREST always treated me like I had a million bucks in my account.

After having an account there for a year, in good standing, they upgraded my account to a free account with FREE $500 in overdraft protection that they called "privilege pay." At the other banks they made you apply for a line of credit to get overdraft protection, which, of course, they never approved for the average person! Not at Woodforest! They upgraded my account one day I was in there, making a deposit, surprising me! Wow, again making me feel like a treasured client.

At one point in time I had an overdraft, it got paid (thank goodness) and I got charged a $34 fee. Now its worth mentioning that while Woodforest only charged me ONE overdraft fee, the other bank would have charged me about 11 FEES because at my other bank they charged overdraft fees on” pending items” too. Again, NOT AT WOODFOREST. I went in that day and corrected my account making the balance positive and making sure my “pending transactions” didn't get any overdraft fees when they cleared. I talked to the manager that day and she told me that they limit the amount of overdraft fees that someone can incure in one day. Then she told me she would REFUND the overdraft fee if I completed an online banking education class (which took about 10 minutes to do) which was well worth the $34.00 I was refunded.

Another great thing about Woodforest is their online banking. You can log in anytime and see EVERYTHING going on with your account. For example, if I just went to the store and spent $50, there it was right on the screen. If I just got gas, instead of showing $1 it showed the actual amount. This is very helpful, in case you make a mistake. If you overspent, as long as you can make it to the bank before the "pending items" change to "posted items" (about 1-3 days) you can save yourself on fees if you make a deposit and bring your account to a positive balance. My other bank hid the "pending transactions" and just told you a total of them. Like I said earlier in this review, if you make a mistake and over spend, you will be charged fees on EVERY “pending item” that could be as much as $300+. NOT WOODFORREST!

Fast forward about 6 months. I woke up and checked my account online as I always do and there was an ACH for $200 that I did not recognize. It turned out to be fraud. Now this is what impresses me the most about Woodforest National Bank, the Vice President of the entire company (not just my local bank manager or a regional manager) this was the real deal Vice President of the bank (on a NATIONAL executive level) calling me from HIS CELL PHONE! A few questions and he fixed the problem RIGHT AWAY and told me to call him ON HIS CELL PHONE if I ever needed his help again. Now you tell me of a bank where the VICE PRESIDENT personally helped you out when your account only had a balance of $112.00 and gave you his cell phone number for future help if needed! Again, ONE MORE REASON I felt like I had a million dollars in my account.

To summarize, I would highly recommend this bank to anyone who wants a bank that not only says “We care about our customers….” but they ABSOLUTLEY really 100% do care about their customers. Thank you Woodforest for your AMAZING service. It’s the little things your bank does that counts. I’ve had bank accounts with around 25-30 banks in my lifetime and NEVER got the great service from anyone like I have from you. I’m just your ordinary guy who keeps an average of $300-600 in my account with “not so good” credit.  Keep up the good work and everyone will have accounts with your bank! Thank You, from your customer for life!

Great Bank!

I was skeptical at first, especially after seeing my first Woodforest in a Wal Mart, but they really changed my perception. They have been wonderful with me. I truly believe a lot is in the client and not the bank. Dont make bad decisions and you wont have any issues. Very professional clerks who seem to really care. I felt at home from the day I walked in!

Woodforest Bank Is Not A Good Bank

To make a long story short ,The bank cashed a 2 party check for a large amount of money on which one of the boys had expired ID,and the teller did not verify the check,which turned out to be closed account and stolen,and no red flags went up that the bank it was drawn on was in the same parking lot.My grandson which in all the years with banking never had that amount in the bank,had him sign the back of the check and cashed it for the other boy.3 days later the check came out of his account which put his account in the red plus all the service fees and wanted him to pay back the money they cashed for the other boy.When I went to the bank the manager wouldnt even talk to me about it and said nothing can be done except my grandson deposit the money and have his account out of the red.When I went higher up it took two weeks for him to call me and said the same thing,We didnt get the money ,dont have that kind of money so they took out of my account all the money I had in there and put me in the red so now all my checks will be sent back and have 2 accounts in the red.Plus left me penniless for groceries and gas.Im telling you all this because it can happen to you,warning do not bank with Woodforest bank

Avoid This Bank

I opened individual and business accounts based upon 5 star rating at this site. It took 3 hours for clerk to open my first account, and she ended up putting the wrong name on my checks. I noticed service charges on my statements which turned out to be charges for every check I wrote which no one told me about when I opened these "free checking" accounts. It takes 10 minutes to make a deposit because clerks have to get permission to take money. Clerk put a 7 day hold on my cash deposit. Walmart branch clerks were nice, but obviously poorly trained, if at all - everything takes much longer than it should. Woodforest is too greedy, too bureaucratic, and too incompetent to be a real bank.

Great Institution

Great institution. Excellent online banking, direct deposits post 24 hours prior to actual post date, clear terms, quality programs.