Zions Bank Reviews

Experience With Local Zions Branch

I have been a long time Zions Bank customer and I find their service to be very good. I enjoy banking with a local institution because I am able to better resolve issues and problems with a local company that has headquarters in my state. Overall, I have had a very good experience with my deposit accounts at Zions. I maintain both checking and savings accounts with this bank. Although I do most of my banking on-line, they have several conveniently located branches which I have visited when necessary.

Large Bank Basic Features

Posted by: Agarc23 | Feb 9, 2016

I have been banking with Zions Bank, for 8 years now and the internet access has been the same and has received no changes since I first signed up 8 years ago. It is a basic site that shows all your accounts that you have with Zions, but there are no state of the art features that make things more lucrative to stay with Zions. Sending wires and or ACH'S is difficult. I have had personal experiences where Zions, will show that the wire and or ACH, was submitted correctly and the money debited out of my account, only to find out that a couple days later the payment actually failed. Which has led to me being charged fees, from the places I tried to send the money because the payment never arrived therefore I am charged a late fee. Also, the mobile app is very limited on what you can do. It allows you to see your account balances, but does not allow you to make payments or transfer money. If Zions, could make the mobile experience more updated and fluid, I believe Zions, customers would be happier over all.

Leaving Zions For Good.

I received awful service from a lady today at the Zions Bank Sandy branch on 2137 E 9400 s. She is apparently the "customer service" specialist at that branch. I had an issue with my account and was being charged wrongful late fees and charges that were due to a payment transfer on my account that was incorrect. It was a mistake on their part and the lady was willing to do nothing to make the situation better, and trust me she didn't even try. She gave me no explanation what so ever as to why or how the late charges were showing on the account, and no professional explanation as to why they would not be able to get them removed. She also glared at me during the whole conversation and had attitude. I mean seriously lady your job is CUSTOMER SERVICE i think you can try a little bit harder than that. Then, as if it couldn't get worse the branch manager was ALSO not willing to do anything for me (the lady went and talked to him on her own im not entirely sure how that conversation went). The branch manager couldn't even get off his butt and out of his office to have a conversation with an upset client? I mean seriously, what's the point in these positions anyway? I decided to visit a different branch right after to see what kind of answers I would receive from them. Can I just say what a relief! They took off 60%+ of my late charges are were so respectful and courteous to me. Not only were they respectful, but they were able to take care of my issues and explain in a professional matter as to why the issues were on the account in the first place. I find it extremely unlawful that not only did the specialist at the Sandy branch AND the branch manager tell me there was "nothing they could do" but, I go to a different branch and they do everything in their power to honor my requests and save me TONS of money? I was told I could not post names on here but I sure hope if there are any executives reading this they know who to talk to and teach the SIMPLE, BASIC principals of customer service.. cause what a disappointment that was!

A treasure - no fees!

I've been with Zions Bank for 10 years and can say I've never paid a single fee with them. I started with my personal checking account, and then added a money market account. They never charged me for my debit cards, and I've only paid for checks. When I started a company, I walked in with some supporting documentation and walked out after about 40 minutes with a new business checking and savings account with a lot of great security features and debit card management over the phone. We didn't pay anything for that either.

I've always been impressed with the accessibility of Zions Bank services and everything they offer. Their online banking panel and mobile applications provide all the features I need, including free OFX reporting for services like Mint.com or Quicken, to stay on top of my account all the time. I even get a text message + email within seconds of when my debit card is used - it arrives before the cashier can hand me the receipt, usually! I'm very impressed with Zions Bank and keep them on my shortlist when I need to open other accounts.

Zions Bank Stinks

Since banking with Zions Bank I have had so many issues with my account. I put over draft-protection and with notice my account is opted into a program that I did not authorize. I end ended up over drafting and they made the mistake on their end and are not willing to fess up. I talk to the customer service rep and they said that there was a plethora of reason why it happened. Have you ever had someone have liar written over their face well this lady had that exact look. She said they would deduct half of what over drafted. Apparently, she could not do math because the amount offered was a quarter of the amount over drafted. It’s dumb when you hear what they doesn’t match what they do. I think if the person running customer service should live up to their word. If she says half pay half not a quarter. I will advise against banking with Zions Bank until they get their act together. I have chosen to leave this bank and find a better one. However, due to their lack of assistance it will take a month of overdraft charges to make this change. Thank you Zions Bank for your Horrible Service.

P.S.: Wells Fargo is not any better.

As expected

Posted by: Diersagev | Aug 28, 2014

When it comes to consistency, they just about have it nailed down. The unfortunate customer service that we've (sadly) come to expect, is right about on par.
There are no fireworks. Nothing personable or spectacular to mention regarding service; the employees are cordial and polite and will then happily transfer you to another department. If that is satisfactory for you, that's great! You'll be getting the exact same response from the next representative on the line.
That being said, what they do manage to take care of is prompt and efficient. Just don't expect them to feel your pain when your bank information has been hacked and your account has been drained. For some reason they can't grasp your frustration about your funds not being replaced for at least 3 weeks. Wow, what horrible, demanding customers we are!

Mostly Happy.

Posted by: gaylandp | Dec 29, 2013

I do not live anywhere near a Zions Bank branch, but have never needed one. Their website is pretty good, and they respond online well. I have been with them about 7 years now, and am happy with my experiences. I was even deployed overseas for a year, and banking was not an issue for me.

Open Account W Zions Bank? Might Be Dangerous

Posted by: mira | Mar 25, 2013

I decided to open Internet Money Market IRA. It was supposed to be quick and easy. After I opened the account online (22Feb2013) I received an email, which informed me about welcome package coming in mail. 7mar13 - I contacted Zions bank and express my concern of not receiving my package. They recommended me to go to the branch to sign signature card there. 11mar13 - I went to the branch. I waited one hour for all the paperwork, which person helping me (Assistant Vice President) received in email. As I seen what's in the welcome package, I was shocked. All my information and my husbands as a beneficiary right there. Social security, date or birth, address, phone numbers, everything and they didn't even bother to send it registered or with some kind of tracking number. She was shocked too and apologized. After signing signature card, I left the branch hoping sooner or later welcome package which show up in my mail box. It never did. I called help line couple times trying to see if my account is active. They haven't received signature card. Zilion phone calls later -25March13. They recommended me to go again to branch and fedex it. As I came to the bank I still believed signature card was emailed, but I was wrong, my whole information was send out by mail, not registered, not able to track. AGAIN!!! I asked if they will offer me a identity theft protection, which they decline. They actually told me that it was my risk which I agreed to take by applying for account. That it was my choice. (I do read a tiny letters and I haven't seen anything stating your information will be send out unprotected and if lost oh well too bad) It all seemed like it was my fault. I told them to cancel the whole account. An awesome idea of opening an IRA account to protect your future.  :(

Accounts Closed Mysteriously

Recently, National Bank of Arizona (a subsidiary of Zions) terminated my long standing accounts violating the account agreements in place, without reasonable notice or reason, and caused significant hardship to my family and my various business and community efforts.

On Oct 22, 2012, I received aletter from National Bank via certified mail at my UPS store mailbox.  The accounts detailed were ALL of my family's accounts at National Bank including my personal account, my wife's personal account, my corporate business account, my father's account, my son's saving account, and 2 accounts for the political campaigns for my wife and I, as we were running for election to the Arizona State Legislature.  This action was taken without any explanation ever given to me.  And these closures negatively impacted my business and caused harm to my families reputation.

I have been a customer at the bank for over 25 years.  I opened my first account at National Bank in 1986 which was then the First Interstate bank of Arizona at the Naco branch in Bisbee Arizona.  In the last 26 years, I have never bounced a check and have not had more than a few checks that were returned NSF, and none through any fault of my own.  I have had several lines of credit including several Home Equity loans and personal lines of credit with outstanding loan balances seceding $250,000 at several times.  I have never missed a payment on any loan, and I have paid off the principal of these loans several times.  I have also been an Executive Banking Customer since at least 2001.  At times I have had several hundred thousand dollars on deposit at the bank.  I have also had close personal relationships with several bank officers and executives.  I have not committed any fraud or deception nor do I represent any risk to the bank. I have been a good and loyal customer.

The account agreement allows the bank to close accounts with "Reasonable" notice.  As I explained to the bank representatives I was able to reach over the phone, 7 business days is not reasonable notice.  To close political campaign accounts 6 days before an election is not reasonable.  To close a primary business account that has been in use for 14 years is not reasonable.  Especially when there is no evidence of risk or fraud presented by the customer. I repeatedly asked bank management for an explanation of these actions and I was told that they had no obligation to tell me.

Now the bank did agree to extend the closing date to November 15th, 2012.  However my accounts were frozen on October 29th and I was told to pick up any and all deposits.  After forwarding the attached letter to Ed Leyba at ZIONS, my accounts were re-activated.  However on Nov 10th my accounts were again frozen.  It was only after contacting bank management again that they were re-activated until November 14th, when I was told to come into a branch and get the remaining balances issued to me in certified funds.  Several checks presented on the 14th and 15th were returned as account closed.

These actions are very puzzling to me.  The actions taken by the bank against me were without basis or merit.  They have the right to choose their customers, but they do not have the right to expel long term customers from the bank without reasonable notice and without any evidence of risk or wrongdoing.

They Are Horrable And Treat Customers As Beggers

Posted by: ma3jen | Sep 20, 2012

They charge fees they know they are not intitled to. They lie about policies to maximize overdraft fees and other fees. The charge 5 dollars a day after the 30 and then dont send notices of overdrafting for a week.  The will Lie aobut the status of loans and other information.

Dont Even Think About It

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 13, 2012

Don't even think about it to get business loan with them. They refuse to help us with our small business loan when United States economy is very weak. We ask them to help us to restructure our current business loan. They told us No way you are own.

Zion Bank Preys On It's Customers.

Posted by: Fedup | Aug 14, 2012

Zion Bank thinks your money belongs to them.  If you have direct deposit, they do not post it into your account when they get it.  Not sure where it is but your money is not in your account.  That is probably why it looks like they are healthy, when they are not.  It is about time they were sued and hope their banks in Texas and other states will feel the pain they have caused a lot of people.  They took TARP money but act like their customers are the ones with their hands out.  Their employees are dim, lie and make you feel like you are crazy when you ask them why they basically stole your money.  The large banks and their arrogance are disgusting.  This country was on the brink of disaster and we bailed their extremely crooked **ses out.  They had a heyday and cannot let go.  Psychopath's.  I wish everyone would take their money out of these banks and go community or credit union.  They need to be reminded that banks are supposed to take of their customers, not fleece them.

Really Bad People To Work With

Posted by: dann15 | Apr 20, 2012

they charge me for .11 cents overdraft i call them to get a courtesy refound and they trick me like sh%^^&* so no good bank to work with people and they put you on hold maybe to lough about you when you trying to get you money back SUCKS!!!!

One Year With Zions

Posted by: Ronald2162 | Apr 3, 2012

ive been banking with Zions for one year had one over draft. I wish they had non overdraft protection but they are better than US and the Stage coach bank.

Naw they rate well with me

Been With Zions Since I Was 12 Years Old, And Will Be Staying With Them For Life!

Posted by: joeylap | Feb 10, 2012

Zions Bank has the greatest customer service I've ever experienced!

Every time I leave a branch I think to myself, "now that is customer service."  When I lived in Layton, I would be greeted with a "hey Joey, how are you today?"  Something I thought I would miss when I moved to Logan for school.  It didn't even take a month before I was getting the same treatment at any of the many branches here in Cache Valley.  Not just my name, but they remember to ask about my family, a test I had last week, or making sure I got over the sickness I recently had.

I went on a vacation last year, but forgot to transfer the needed money from my savings to checking before I left!  I was away from the internet for the majority of the trip, but once I could check on things, I noticed that I had racked up quite a lot in NSF charges.  I gave Zions a call and explained my mistake and they waived them all.  Let me repeat that, they waived every NSF charge I had (validly) incurred.  They didn't need to, but were more than happy to help out.  This was very smart of them considering that because of this service, I'll be with them for life.

I once went into a branch inside a Smith's to get a money order.  The teller told me that he'd be more than happy to get me one, but they cost $2.50.  He advised I go to the Smith's customer service desk, as it would only cost $0.50 there.  Instead of looking out for their company's profit margin, they look out for the customer.

The one downside is that they are not nationwide.  If you travel too far, there won't be any ATMs you can use without charges.  Zions' fees are very reasonable though, only one dollar to use a non-friendly ATM where other banks charge three or four.  A friend of mine just complained about a certain mega-bank that charged him $38 for NSF (quite a bit more than the $0 I paid.)  No minimum balance.  No monthly charges.  Just reasonable fees where needed and outstanding customer service.

I wouldn't dream of leaving Zions bank.

No Problems

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 22, 2010

I signed up for a Zions bank account online a year ago. I've found the web site easy to use, and it's easy to transfer money from my regular bank account.