Zions Bank Reviews

Experience With Local Zions Branch

I have been a long time Zions Bank customer and I find their service to be very good. I enjoy banking with a local institution because I am able to better resolve issues and problems with a local company that has headquarters in my state. Overall, I have had a very good experience with my deposit accounts at Zions. I maintain both checking and savings accounts with this bank. Although I do most of my banking on-line, they have several conveniently located branches which I have visited when necessary.

Large Bank Basic Features

Posted by: Agarc23 | Feb 9, 2016

I have been banking with Zions Bank, for 8 years now and the internet access has been the same and has received no changes since I first signed up 8 years ago. It is a basic site that shows all your accounts that you have with Zions, but there are no state of the art features that make things more lucrative to stay with Zions. Sending wires and or ACH'S is difficult. I have had personal experiences where Zions, will show that the wire and or ACH, was submitted correctly and the money debited out of my account, only to find out that a couple days later the payment actually failed. Which has led to me being charged fees, from the places I tried to send the money because the payment never arrived therefore I am charged a late fee. Also, the mobile app is very limited on what you can do. It allows you to see your account balances, but does not allow you to make payments or transfer money. If Zions, could make the mobile experience more updated and fluid, I believe Zions, customers would be happier over all.

A treasure - no fees!

I've been with Zions Bank for 10 years and can say I've never paid a single fee with them. I started with my personal checking account, and then added a money market account. They never charged me for my debit cards, and I've only paid for checks. When I started a company, I walked in with some supporting documentation and walked out after about 40 minutes with a new business checking and savings account with a lot of great security features and debit card management over the phone. We didn't pay anything for that either.

I've always been impressed with the accessibility of Zions Bank services and everything they offer. Their online banking panel and mobile applications provide all the features I need, including free OFX reporting for services like Mint.com or Quicken, to stay on top of my account all the time. I even get a text message + email within seconds of when my debit card is used - it arrives before the cashier can hand me the receipt, usually! I'm very impressed with Zions Bank and keep them on my shortlist when I need to open other accounts.

Zions Bank Stinks

Since banking with Zions Bank I have had so many issues with my account. I put over draft-protection and with notice my account is opted into a program that I did not authorize. I end ended up over drafting and they made the mistake on their end and are not willing to fess up. I talk to the customer service rep and they said that there was a plethora of reason why it happened. Have you ever had someone have liar written over their face well this lady had that exact look. She said they would deduct half of what over drafted. Apparently, she could not do math because the amount offered was a quarter of the amount over drafted. It’s dumb when you hear what they doesn’t match what they do. I think if the person running customer service should live up to their word. If she says half pay half not a quarter. I will advise against banking with Zions Bank until they get their act together. I have chosen to leave this bank and find a better one. However, due to their lack of assistance it will take a month of overdraft charges to make this change. Thank you Zions Bank for your Horrible Service.

P.S.: Wells Fargo is not any better.

Mostly Happy.

Posted by: gaylandp | Dec 29, 2013

I do not live anywhere near a Zions Bank branch, but have never needed one. Their website is pretty good, and they respond online well. I have been with them about 7 years now, and am happy with my experiences. I was even deployed overseas for a year, and banking was not an issue for me.

Open Account W Zions Bank? Might Be Dangerous

Posted by: mira | Mar 25, 2013

I decided to open Internet Money Market IRA. It was supposed to be quick and easy. After I opened the account online (22Feb2013) I received an email, which informed me about welcome package coming in mail. 7mar13 - I contacted Zions bank and express my concern of not receiving my package. They recommended me to go to the branch to sign signature card there. 11mar13 - I went to the branch. I waited one hour for all the paperwork, which person helping me (Assistant Vice President) received in email. As I seen what's in the welcome package, I was shocked. All my information and my husbands as a beneficiary right there. Social security, date or birth, address, phone numbers, everything and they didn't even bother to send it registered or with some kind of tracking number. She was shocked too and apologized. After signing signature card, I left the branch hoping sooner or later welcome package which show up in my mail box. It never did. I called help line couple times trying to see if my account is active. They haven't received signature card. Zilion phone calls later -25March13. They recommended me to go again to branch and fedex it. As I came to the bank I still believed signature card was emailed, but I was wrong, my whole information was send out by mail, not registered, not able to track. AGAIN!!! I asked if they will offer me a identity theft protection, which they decline. They actually told me that it was my risk which I agreed to take by applying for account. That it was my choice. (I do read a tiny letters and I haven't seen anything stating your information will be send out unprotected and if lost oh well too bad) It all seemed like it was my fault. I told them to cancel the whole account. An awesome idea of opening an IRA account to protect your future.  :(

Accounts Closed Mysteriously

Recently, National Bank of Arizona (a subsidiary of Zions) terminated my long standing accounts violating the account agreements in place, without reasonable notice or reason, and caused significant hardship to my family and my various business and community efforts.

On Oct 22, 2012, I received aletter from National Bank via certified mail at my UPS store mailbox.  The accounts detailed were ALL of my family's accounts at National Bank including my personal account, my wife's personal account, my corporate business account, my father's account, my son's saving account, and 2 accounts for the political campaigns for my wife and I, as we were running for election to the Arizona State Legislature.  This action was taken without any explanation ever given to me.  And these closures negatively impacted my business and caused harm to my families reputation.

I have been a customer at the bank for over 25 years.  I opened my first account at National Bank in 1986 which was then the First Interstate bank of Arizona at the Naco branch in Bisbee Arizona.  In the last 26 years, I have never bounced a check and have not had more than a few checks that were returned NSF, and none through any fault of my own.  I have had several lines of credit including several Home Equity loans and personal lines of credit with outstanding loan balances seceding $250,000 at several times.  I have never missed a payment on any loan, and I have paid off the principal of these loans several times.  I have also been an Executive Banking Customer since at least 2001.  At times I have had several hundred thousand dollars on deposit at the bank.  I have also had close personal relationships with several bank officers and executives.  I have not committed any fraud or deception nor do I represent any risk to the bank. I have been a good and loyal customer.

The account agreement allows the bank to close accounts with "Reasonable" notice.  As I explained to the bank representatives I was able to reach over the phone, 7 business days is not reasonable notice.  To close political campaign accounts 6 days before an election is not reasonable.  To close a primary business account that has been in use for 14 years is not reasonable.  Especially when there is no evidence of risk or fraud presented by the customer. I repeatedly asked bank management for an explanation of these actions and I was told that they had no obligation to tell me.

Now the bank did agree to extend the closing date to November 15th, 2012.  However my accounts were frozen on October 29th and I was told to pick up any and all deposits.  After forwarding the attached letter to Ed Leyba at ZIONS, my accounts were re-activated.  However on Nov 10th my accounts were again frozen.  It was only after contacting bank management again that they were re-activated until November 14th, when I was told to come into a branch and get the remaining balances issued to me in certified funds.  Several checks presented on the 14th and 15th were returned as account closed.

These actions are very puzzling to me.  The actions taken by the bank against me were without basis or merit.  They have the right to choose their customers, but they do not have the right to expel long term customers from the bank without reasonable notice and without any evidence of risk or wrongdoing.

They Are Horrable And Treat Customers As Beggers

Posted by: ma3jen | Sep 20, 2012

They charge fees they know they are not intitled to. They lie about policies to maximize overdraft fees and other fees. The charge 5 dollars a day after the 30 and then dont send notices of overdrafting for a week.  The will Lie aobut the status of loans and other information.

Dont Even Think About It

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 13, 2012

Don't even think about it to get business loan with them. They refuse to help us with our small business loan when United States economy is very weak. We ask them to help us to restructure our current business loan. They told us No way you are own.

Zion Bank Preys On It's Customers.

Posted by: Fedup | Aug 14, 2012

Zion Bank thinks your money belongs to them.  If you have direct deposit, they do not post it into your account when they get it.  Not sure where it is but your money is not in your account.  That is probably why it looks like they are healthy, when they are not.  It is about time they were sued and hope their banks in Texas and other states will feel the pain they have caused a lot of people.  They took TARP money but act like their customers are the ones with their hands out.  Their employees are dim, lie and make you feel like you are crazy when you ask them why they basically stole your money.  The large banks and their arrogance are disgusting.  This country was on the brink of disaster and we bailed their extremely crooked **ses out.  They had a heyday and cannot let go.  Psychopath's.  I wish everyone would take their money out of these banks and go community or credit union.  They need to be reminded that banks are supposed to take of their customers, not fleece them.

Really Bad People To Work With

Posted by: dann15 | Apr 20, 2012

they charge me for .11 cents overdraft i call them to get a courtesy refound and they trick me like sh%^^&* so no good bank to work with people and they put you on hold maybe to lough about you when you trying to get you money back SUCKS!!!!

One Year With Zions

Posted by: Ronald2162 | Apr 3, 2012

ive been banking with Zions for one year had one over draft. I wish they had non overdraft protection but they are better than US and the Stage coach bank.

Naw they rate well with me

Why I'm Leaving Zions - The Last Straw

I've been frustrated for years with Zions' policy of selectively processing payments to cause as many of them to go into insufficient funds status as possible.  That policy is designed to maximum the insufficient funds fees they collect from their members.  Finally, a class action suit is being brought against them (just google "zions bank class action" for details).  This is especially sad because the bank is owned in part by the Mormon Church.

The last straw came last week when Zions informed me by mail that my free checking account was now going to cost me $7.00 a month.  They gave me one month notice, so now I'm scrambling to change my banking over to a credit union.  With several automatic payments I had set up with Zions, this is not a quick task.

Anyway, be forewarned.

No Problems

Posted by: Anonymous | Dec 22, 2010

I signed up for a Zions bank account online a year ago. I've found the web site easy to use, and it's easy to transfer money from my regular bank account.