Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

IRA Contributions

Maecl   |     |   103 posts since 2010

My husband retired in Jan. 2012 and only received one paycheck for the year.  He also received a bonus in Jan. 2012 for 2011 compensation.

Does anyone know is we can contribute the bonus as 2012 income?  I don't even know if a bonus qualfies for IRA's.

Ken Tumin
Ken Tumin   |     |   5,937 posts since 2009
Here's what IRS pub 590 says about compensation that qualifies for IRA contributions:
Wages, salaries, tips, professional fees, bonuses, and other amounts you receive for providing personal services are compensation. The IRS treats as compensation any amount properly shown in box 1 (Wages, tips, other compensation) of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, provided that amount is reduced by any amount properly shown in box 11 (Nonqualified plans).

It appears the IRS would expect that the compensation would be listed on a 2012 W-2.
Maecl   |     |   103 posts since 2010
Thanks Ken.  That information is a great help for our savings, especially in this environment.