TCF National Bank Reviews

Want To Close My Account

I initially opened my account for the $100 promotion. TCF unexpectedly sent me a box of checks that I never asked for and deducted $18 from my account. I went into a branch office and all they told me was that they were sorry that they never told me that I would receive an order of checks by default. I tried to tell them it was unfair for me to be charged for something I was never aware of. They said that they could do nothing about it because the check printing company would not take them back unless they made a printing error. I am closing my account as soon as I get the bonus.

TCF Steals Money From Customer Accounts Using Fraudulent Fees

I had a no fee checking account with TCF. I recently noticed a fee of $1.95 per month being billed to my account for check image fee. This is for enclosing a scanned copy of checks with my statement. It is ridiculous to charge me for this. The bank has to scan the checks anyway, no extra effort on their part. But they imposed this charge stealthily. By the time I noticed it they had billed this fee for 6 months already. I called them, and they agreed to stop billing me this amount in the future and terminate the check image “service”. But they refused to refund the 6 months of fees already billed. Their attitude was that I should have noticed the fees sooner and called sooner. They told me that I must look carefully at the small print on every piece of junk mail they send me, because sometimes they contain warnings of new fees that will be charged to my no fee account. If I miss this small print it is my fault, and they can steal money from my account because I did not notice.

TCF Policies - Customer Convenience Is Not A Priority

My local TCF Branch is excellent, knowledgeable, and pleasant to deal with.  Recently, I've had two issues where I've needed to contact them, and found that the local phone number was disconnected and replaced with the corporate 800 number, so you can no longer contact your branch directly.  I received incorrect information about IRA's and one of my accounts from the 800 number, and had to drive to the branch to get it straightened out!  Obviously, customer convenience is not a top priority!  Two other banks that I deal with both have their branches accessible by phone, so why would TCF decide to restrict customer access to their branches?

TCF's fees are getting higher and TCF seems anxious to impose them.  I just had an overdraft fee due to a timing issue where funds left my account quickly but took a day to replenish.  I was hit with a $37.00 overdraft fee!  Luckily I had TCF's recommended overdraft protection, but when I called them they said that the protection didn't apply, hence the charge!  Perhaps I'm too simplistic, but I have difficulty understanding overdraft protection that doesn't protect when you have an overdraft!  So, I called back to check and was told that there was no overdraft protection on my account!  It appears that someone else is as confused as I am!

I'm going to check my other banks and the credit union in the area to see which of them offers more of what I'm looking for, like ease of access and sensible customer service, and will likely transfer all of my accounts to another financial institution.

Tcf Is A Horrible Bank

!st Of we had a account from another bank that tcf took over we had this account for 24 years. So when I got some one to sign up they talked me into opening another account then I had to pay for checks I never use. I figured I have no checks for my old account so leave this one open to use for checks. Well then they started charging for not enough activity so I tried the use it 10x no charge but the amount you needed to use changed 3x I got charged 4 times for this because I rarely used this account and kept very little in it it bounced for the charges then for a check that the water company held for 2 months and decided to cash. To make a long story short I put 18,000.00 in there and the funds are available at the other bank they decided to hold it for 10 busines days at tcf and I have only had 4 nsf fees in 2 years. Why would they hold it from another bank?? Clueless Time to find another bank I have 2 savings account and two checking accounts with direct deposit screw them!! they SUCK give me first federal bank back please. And there charges 90 cents for pos 2.90 for pos I have no clue what all the charges are every month on my account.

Fees- Free Checking, Whatever. TCF Does Suck. I Wouldn't Even Give Them 1 Star

Free checking is a bunch of lies. Even though I have direct deposit, it doesn't matter. You get a fee of 9.95 if you don't have 15 transactions, which does not include direct deposits. Did not have warning of this change in policy either. I feel that they discriminate against single income people who don't have $10,000 to there name and won't ever get there. Don't make me spend money when I am trying to save it to pay bills. I prefer to use my credit card which at least gets cash back bonus. I too am looking for a new bank.

CASH Not Available Same Day!

Same thing happened to me. I realized I was going to overdraft so I went straight to the bank and deposited cash into the account since the overdraft was pending... it took 3 days to clear therefore leaving me with overdraft fee....

Really Bad Experience

If you make a deposit it takes up to 5 days to clear up so they can charge you fees... they charge fees for each transaction you post..... if you have money and do 2 transactions they won't pay only one, they will tray to split the money into both so you can overdraft for both transactions and charge you, if you call customer service they all have a terrible attitude

Worst Bank Ever

They put my information in their system incorrectly. That wouldn't be a big deal except that they won't let me access my account. I called their customer services, no help but the foreign call center told me the correct number to call. Apparently it's a completely different branch of the company and they don't share records. So I called them, went through about 2 hours of transfers and hold times and then finally they said they would correct their issue and that it would be a few days before the changes would take place in their system. I try again a week later and it's the same issue. Now I have to start from square 1. The most ridiculous part of this is that I'm going through this ridiculous process in order to make my payments. I'm trying to PAY THEM. I hope their shareholders are looking. Worst banking experience ever.

Never Use This Bank!

I have been a customer of this bank for over 15 years, Yesterday they manipulated my checking account statement to reflect I had funds to cover a new online purchase.... therefore I made the purchase with confidence.... then the next day they removed the previous deposit to incur a NSF fee, then reinstated the deposit the following day, but the fee remains. After yelling at a "customer service" rep for an hour, they refused to remove the fee. A year ago they instituted a new policy without informing me, that now I was required to have a high minimum balance, and when i got below that level, they charged me 50 dollars.. I fought with them for weeks before i was able to win that one. NEVER USE THEM, THEY NICKEL AND DIME YOU TO DEATH...today I established an account at one of their competitors and am firing them.... DONT FALL FOR THEIR PROMOTIONS

BANK WITH TCF AT YOUR RISK

We started banking with TCF over 25 years ago and they were great until a couple years ago. They now have multiple hidden fees that cause over drafts that results in more charges. My wife got involved with pay day loan companies (her mistake) and closed her account to stop them from ACH withdrawals. TCF then told her they would still honor the ACH withdrawals and charge over draft fees. We found out later that there is a federal law that allows you to revoke ACH withdrawal authorization, and you would think TCH would have advised her of this but did not.

It is our fault for getting involved with these pay day loan outfits, but at one time banks would help with these sort of problems. TCF seems to only care about the fees they can generate from the smaller companies.

Being Mislead A 75Th Stoney Island Branch And Recieved Bad Customer Service From On Of Your Branch Managers.

As of March 26, I encountered a misleading experience at 75th Stoney Island. I came in there to pay a pass due balance and was told from on of your clerks to disregard it and open up another checking account. I was somewhat surprised at that statement seeing that every company would want their monies if owed. I constantly asked the banker if she was sure that it wouldn't make a difference, seeing that I owe? She said no problem it'll pass through as some others have. I did what she said and open up another checking account and wouldn't u know it my money was taken to pay another old account.  This I found out when I came to make a withdrawal!!! MAN WAS I UPSET AND VERY FRUSTRATED.!!!

I was told the more TCF bank get customers to open up accounts at their branch the higher rating that branch gets. It's sad that I had to be deceived for your bank to get that rating!!! Getting an understanding from the Branch manager wasn't any better..the attitude of 75th Stoney's branch is AWFUL!!!