TCF National Bank Reviews

Watch out for hidden fees.

I am a long term customer of TCF bank. For the most part, its pretty reasonable. Its easy to get in and out, the customer service works well, and the online section appears to work fine. There's not much you expect in those areas just walking in, but it certainly meets expectations.

There's a few problems however. For starters, they openly try to scam you with fees, hoping that you won't come in to complain. If you overdraw, they charge $25 to $35 each time even if it is only by a few cents. Meaning that if you make a lot of small purchases in one day, and go slightly over, even if its by five dollars, this can amount to a $100 fee. Definitely a bad choice for college students who might be making a lot of $1 purchases. You have to deliberately ask them to stop allowing you this flat convenience fee.

Likewise, there's some problems with their online banking. If you lose your password it is hard to reset it. The instructions are rather vague, and if you don't understand them then even calling in will lead over confusion on what you need to do. It took me awhile to get that sorted out, when resetting my password.

Aside from that, its more or less a fairly reasonable bank, however.

TCF Getting Crazy With Fees

I will be leaving TCF shortly due to their fee structure and loopholes used to gather those fees. I realized today that TCF has been charging the $5 POS debit card fees since June. This is the same ridiculous fee BOA was going to charge and backed off because of the uproar. TCF just started charging this fee quietly without any fanfare and no one has said boo about it. I admit that I was not paying as close attention to my accounts as should have been. I called customer service in order to find an explanation and they told me that they have always charged $0.30 per transaction when the card is used as a debit card in a POS capacity. This makes no sense since the fees have only started appearing since June of 2011 and there is no way to charge $0.30 per transaction and ever get to $5 even. Also, the fee is the same every month. Where is the uproar about TCF or maybe people did not even realize it has been going on. Well I am starting an uproar about it.

Recently, my girlfriend realized that she did not have enough money in her checking account to cover an automatic payment that was coming out. She went to the bank and deposited CASH. The teller told her that since she deposited the CASH before the payment was made she would be fine and be assessed no fees. This is where it gets interesting. My girlfriend checked the account the next day and the CASH deposit was still pending. The CASH deposit did not clear for 5 days. My girlfriend was charged a $28 overdraft fee and TCF will not reverse the fee.

Needless to say we will both be pulling our accounts very shortly!

***DON't BANK AT TCF EVER!!!!!***

***DON'T BANK AT TCF EVER!!!!!***
This is the absolute worst bank I have ever had in my life. I liked the idea that TCF was open when other banks were not, due to my work schedule. I soon found out that was the only good thing about them. Here are some of my issues:
1. I closed one of my checking accounts due to fradulant activity and opened a new one. The problem was they only closed my account to debit & then charged me fees because I obviously did not have any money in it. Even worse they expected me to pay the fees even though it was there mistake.
2. I need to get a signature guarantee stamp for a insurance policy of my deceased father. I was the beneficiary and when I called on the phone to see if they could do it they said yes. I went into the branch give her the statement, my id, and everything else she told me to bring and then they told me they can't do it because the statement does not say I'm the beneficiary! WTF first off it's really none of their business the purpose of the signature guarantee is verify that I am the person signing the document. I was sending it to a different company anyway that does have all my info! I went into Wells Fargo and they did it for me with no problems at all!
3. They tried to charge their customers $28/day in overdraft fees regardless if you spend any money during those days or not.
4. Their customer service is horrible!! They don't care about their customers at all! It doesn't matter what branch I go into someone always has an attitude for no reason.
5. I finally decided to close my accounts once and for all and they said I couldn't do it because something was pending. I put money in the account since their was automatic payment going through then they told me they sent it back and charged me a ton of fees. I called the customer service line and they said they couldn't do anything about that even though I spoke to the person at the bank when I made the deposit and they said my account will be fine to close once the payment goes through. Another lie!! I paid some of the fees so I could just get this account cancelled. Typcial overnight, scam bank.
6. Their online banking is horrible. It is hard to follow & it is cheap. My new bank makes it so much easier to see your deposits, withdrawls, balances etc.
DON'T EVER, EVER BANK AT TCF BANK THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST

Want To Close My Account

I initially opened my account for the $100 promotion. TCF unexpectedly sent me a box of checks that I never asked for and deducted $18 from my account. I went into a branch office and all they told me was that they were sorry that they never told me that I would receive an order of checks by default. I tried to tell them it was unfair for me to be charged for something I was never aware of. They said that they could do nothing about it because the check printing company would not take them back unless they made a printing error. I am closing my account as soon as I get the bonus.

TCF Steals Money From Customer Accounts Using Fraudulent Fees

I had a no fee checking account with TCF. I recently noticed a fee of $1.95 per month being billed to my account for check image fee. This is for enclosing a scanned copy of checks with my statement. It is ridiculous to charge me for this. The bank has to scan the checks anyway, no extra effort on their part. But they imposed this charge stealthily. By the time I noticed it they had billed this fee for 6 months already. I called them, and they agreed to stop billing me this amount in the future and terminate the check image “service”. But they refused to refund the 6 months of fees already billed. Their attitude was that I should have noticed the fees sooner and called sooner. They told me that I must look carefully at the small print on every piece of junk mail they send me, because sometimes they contain warnings of new fees that will be charged to my no fee account. If I miss this small print it is my fault, and they can steal money from my account because I did not notice.

Tcf Is A Horrible Bank

!st Of we had a account from another bank that tcf took over we had this account for 24 years. So when I got some one to sign up they talked me into opening another account then I had to pay for checks I never use. I figured I have no checks for my old account so leave this one open to use for checks. Well then they started charging for not enough activity so I tried the use it 10x no charge but the amount you needed to use changed 3x I got charged 4 times for this because I rarely used this account and kept very little in it it bounced for the charges then for a check that the water company held for 2 months and decided to cash. To make a long story short I put 18,000.00 in there and the funds are available at the other bank they decided to hold it for 10 busines days at tcf and I have only had 4 nsf fees in 2 years. Why would they hold it from another bank?? Clueless Time to find another bank I have 2 savings account and two checking accounts with direct deposit screw them!! they SUCK give me first federal bank back please. And there charges 90 cents for pos 2.90 for pos I have no clue what all the charges are every month on my account.

Fees- Free Checking, Whatever. TCF Does Suck. I Wouldn't Even Give Them 1 Star

Free checking is a bunch of lies. Even though I have direct deposit, it doesn't matter. You get a fee of 9.95 if you don't have 15 transactions, which does not include direct deposits. Did not have warning of this change in policy either. I feel that they discriminate against single income people who don't have $10,000 to there name and won't ever get there. Don't make me spend money when I am trying to save it to pay bills. I prefer to use my credit card which at least gets cash back bonus. I too am looking for a new bank.

CASH Not Available Same Day!

Same thing happened to me. I realized I was going to overdraft so I went straight to the bank and deposited cash into the account since the overdraft was pending... it took 3 days to clear therefore leaving me with overdraft fee....

Really Bad Experience

If you make a deposit it takes up to 5 days to clear up so they can charge you fees... they charge fees for each transaction you post..... if you have money and do 2 transactions they won't pay only one, they will tray to split the money into both so you can overdraft for both transactions and charge you, if you call customer service they all have a terrible attitude

Worst Bank Ever

They put my information in their system incorrectly. That wouldn't be a big deal except that they won't let me access my account. I called their customer services, no help but the foreign call center told me the correct number to call. Apparently it's a completely different branch of the company and they don't share records. So I called them, went through about 2 hours of transfers and hold times and then finally they said they would correct their issue and that it would be a few days before the changes would take place in their system. I try again a week later and it's the same issue. Now I have to start from square 1. The most ridiculous part of this is that I'm going through this ridiculous process in order to make my payments. I'm trying to PAY THEM. I hope their shareholders are looking. Worst banking experience ever.

Never Use This Bank!

I have been a customer of this bank for over 15 years, Yesterday they manipulated my checking account statement to reflect I had funds to cover a new online purchase.... therefore I made the purchase with confidence.... then the next day they removed the previous deposit to incur a NSF fee, then reinstated the deposit the following day, but the fee remains. After yelling at a "customer service" rep for an hour, they refused to remove the fee. A year ago they instituted a new policy without informing me, that now I was required to have a high minimum balance, and when i got below that level, they charged me 50 dollars.. I fought with them for weeks before i was able to win that one. NEVER USE THEM, THEY NICKEL AND DIME YOU TO DEATH...today I established an account at one of their competitors and am firing them.... DONT FALL FOR THEIR PROMOTIONS

BANK WITH TCF AT YOUR RISK

We started banking with TCF over 25 years ago and they were great until a couple years ago. They now have multiple hidden fees that cause over drafts that results in more charges. My wife got involved with pay day loan companies (her mistake) and closed her account to stop them from ACH withdrawals. TCF then told her they would still honor the ACH withdrawals and charge over draft fees. We found out later that there is a federal law that allows you to revoke ACH withdrawal authorization, and you would think TCH would have advised her of this but did not.

It is our fault for getting involved with these pay day loan outfits, but at one time banks would help with these sort of problems. TCF seems to only care about the fees they can generate from the smaller companies.

Being Mislead A 75Th Stoney Island Branch And Recieved Bad Customer Service From On Of Your Branch Managers.

As of March 26, I encountered a misleading experience at 75th Stoney Island. I came in there to pay a pass due balance and was told from on of your clerks to disregard it and open up another checking account. I was somewhat surprised at that statement seeing that every company would want their monies if owed. I constantly asked the banker if she was sure that it wouldn't make a difference, seeing that I owe? She said no problem it'll pass through as some others have. I did what she said and open up another checking account and wouldn't u know it my money was taken to pay another old account.  This I found out when I came to make a withdrawal!!! MAN WAS I UPSET AND VERY FRUSTRATED.!!!

I was told the more TCF bank get customers to open up accounts at their branch the higher rating that branch gets. It's sad that I had to be deceived for your bank to get that rating!!! Getting an understanding from the Branch manager wasn't any better..the attitude of 75th Stoney's branch is AWFUL!!!

Very average bank

I don't expect much from this bank. If it were not for the fact that there are enough branches around where I live, I would never have opened an account. I think there are some much better options, but I keep my account active because it is what I have had for a few years. I'm looking to switch up soon though because the web interface is very dated making it hard to find what I am looking for sometimes.