Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts
Back to General Questions/Other

Better Markets Sues Justice Department Over JPMorgan Deal

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 8:08 PMJPMorgan Chase Bank, Dearborn - Details
The non-profit group Better Markets filed a lawsuit against the Justice Department on Monday to block what it called an "unlawful" $13 billion settlement with JPMorgan Chase & Co over bad mortgage loans sold to investors before the financial crisis.

http://www.reuters.com/article/20...1ET2014021
ShorebreakShorebreak2,371 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 12,648
1. Monday, February 10, 2014 - 10:04 PM
Kudos to Better Markets for taking a stand against this blanket mockery of justice!  JP Morgan is buying it's way out of more serious charges and I am so happy this organization is speaking out against it.  I would love to see other organizations join them and force the Justice Department to take "real" action against JP Morgan instead of this slap on the wrist.  No bank should be too big to pay it's real due!
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,093
2. Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 7:00 AM
I misunderstood the article I read when they were fined. I thought it said that the justice department left open the opportunity for the banks to be sued by customers individually or by class action when they were harmed. I thought I posted it but maybe not. 
AllyAlly778 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,266
3. Tuesday, February 11, 2014 - 8:10 AM
That was two of us then that misunderstood what we read.  I thought sure the earlier article about Chase allowed for their being sued in a class action suit by customers.  What happened to that?  Did 13 billion dollars cover that too??  They must be paying off the news media too not to talk about it because if it was not for DA I would not have heard about it.
paoli2paoli21,142 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Rep Points: 5,093