Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Alliant CU Credit Inquiry And Displayed Credit Score

Monday, July 19, 2010 - 7:13 AMAlliant Credit Union - Details
Alliant Credit Union immediately performed a credit inquiry when I opened a deposit account back in January.  Said inquiry showed up on my Equifax report in the "Inquiries that may impact your credit rating" section. 

The first "Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) provided by Experian" they displayed to me was for March 2010, and that was 895.  The next score was 859 for June.  Whoa!  Why did that score drop 36 points between March and June?  I requested and examined my credit report from Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.  The Experian report was spotless and I even called them to confirm there was nothing on my credit report which would negatively impact my score.  My TransUnion report was spotless.  The Equifax report was spotless except for that "may impact your credit rating" inquiry which was a) back in January, and b) supposedly not even picked up by Experian.

At this point I'm still investigating this, trying to figure out why that score (which is supposedly a Fair Isaac NextGen FICO 2.0 methodology score based on Experian collected credit data) dropped like that.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
MoogMoog1 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
Rep Points: 3
1. Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:41 AM
I had the same from Alliant. My scores were similar to yours. Except my score dropped only 5 points, or maybe it was 10 points.

I recommend you tell Alliant -- e-mail to them over their online system, and followup on the response -- and ask them to change their policy from making a hard credit check that hurts people to instead making only a soft credit check.

If they hear that from more and more people, they might very well change their policy.

They do the hard credit check even for existing members, even longtime members, who open a new deposit account with them.
me1004me1004370 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 2,572