Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Jailed For Cashing Chase Check At Chase Bank

Thursday, July 7, 2011 - 2:35 PMChase Manhattan Bank - Details
From News Story - KING5.com
AUBURN, Wash. - Buying his own home was a big accomplishment for construction worker, Ikenna Njoku, of Auburn. He’s only 28 years old.

“I was really excited. For the first time, I actually got to buy a lawn mower, mow my lawn and everything,” said Njoku.

Njoku qualified for the first time home buyer rebate on his tax return.

"It was really important, I had a vehicle I was looking on paying off," said. Njoku. And it wasn’t just any vehicle. “It was a 2001 Infinity I-30, silver…just like my favorite car, “he said.

Njoku signed up to have the rebate deposited directly into his Chase Bank account. But when the IRS rebate arrived, there was a problem. Chase had closed Njoku’s account because of overdrawn checks in the past. The bank deducted $600 to cover what he owed them and mailed him a cashier’s check for the difference--$8,463.21.

But when Njoku showed up at the Chase branch near his house intending to cash the check, he was in for a nasty surprise.

[Read more...]

WhataBummerWhataBummer413 posts since
Oct 15, 2010
Rep Points: 1,702
1. Thursday, July 7, 2011 - 3:22 PM
I think this might just take the cake for the most outrageous mistake by a bank.

It's also disturbing to see how easily you can be arrested and thrown in jail.
Ken TuminKen Tumin5,469 posts since
Nov 29, 2009
Rep Points: 125,077
2. Thursday, July 7, 2011 - 4:36 PM
This is something that Chase President (Mr. Jamie Dimon) should know right away!  What a ****-up this bank is.  Most often, it is a single igonorant (or overly-zealous) CSR who messes up the matter; and he/she should be fired on the spot.  Then all the related inefficent staff linked to this incident should be properly disciplined or demoted.  Chase should issue an open letter of sincere apology to this poor gentleman with some financial compensation. 
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,426
3. Friday, July 8, 2011 - 10:04 AM
What an outrage - just when you think banks can’t demonstrate more arrogant behavior or more incompetence, they manage to prove you wrong.  I feel very sorry for the customer and agree that he deserves a very sincere apology and a huge financial settlement - with interest compounded from the date of the original offense (since Chase did nothing for over a year). 
pearlbrownpearlbrown1,433 posts since
Nov 2, 2010
Rep Points: 6,255
4. Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:32 PM
Chase is Satan, and Satan is a Greedy old ****!  This counrty is falling to pieces becuse of corporate greed and our government's unwillingness to punish the submission of altered loans, remedy fees, and frivolous charges proposed by banks and big business.  Politicians are the 1st to blame bc they protect these corporations from fines and sign the fees into hidden law.  Years ago, bank fees were reasonable and consumable, now it is just wrong and intolerable!  Im tired of hearing words like policy, overdraft, monthly fee, service charge and so forth. 

Remember "The Jews" were the first recorded bankers of our time and why should we expect anything less than an utter display of theft, lies, and pillaging!  The real criminals in this country are the corporations and banks, not the use to be middle class impoverished Americans or the Man selling Weed to make his ends meet!
EatTheRichEatTheRich1 posts since
May 21, 2012
Rep Points: 1