Dedicated to Deposits: Deals, Data, and Discussion
Featured Savings Rates
Featured Accounts

Empty Promises

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 7:59 AMFifth Third Bank (OH) - Details
Consumerist reader Chris says he's been a customer of Fifth Third bank for around two decades, as well as the rest of his family in the Midwest. Heck, his grandfather even worked there. But he says he's now growing very disappointed with it, and a recent rash of overdraft fees isn't helping that dissatisfaction.

Chris says he signed on to the bank's website to check his account balances, and was surprised to find he was $700 in the red, with around $300 of that comprised of overdraft fees. He was charged a daily fee for overdrawing, as well as a fee for every transaction. He had no idea this was going on, because although he had signed up to receive email alerts of overdraft notices, no such email ever arrived.

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/fifth-third-bank-says-it-doesnt-actually-have-overdraft-notice-emails-i-signed-up-for.html
ShorebreakShorebreak2,671 posts since
Apr 6, 2010
Rep Points: 14,501
1. Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 12:23 PM
I, too, have been a loyal 5th Third customer for 20 years ... and I'm leaving them.  Charging me for checking accounts, charging me for using their 'enhanced' world debit card, etc. ... pffft! Who needs 'em?  I'm outtie ... and Heartland Community Bank (that I can walk to) seems to fit the bill for me.  Oh, and did I mention that NEVER EVER has any employee (of the same branch I've conducted business with the last 20+ years) called me by my name? Nope. Not once.  Yeah, real personal are they. NOT.

There's a downside to being 'one of the biggest' and losing touch with your community, with your loyal patrons, is certainly one of them. At least for Fifth Third.

Can't wait to start my new job because I am pulling all monies out of Fifth Third and transferring them, with direct deposit, to Heartland.

Happy banking y'all

~Nita

nitaell72nitaell721 posts since
Sep 9, 2012
Rep Points: 3
2. Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 3:55 PM
What a sneaky, nasty, and heartless bank!:-)

I would report them to CFPB directly. 

BTW, Chris' next choice for banks (Chase) is a real bad (even worse) one as well:D
51hh51hh1,476 posts since
Jan 16, 2010
Rep Points: 6,427