UPDATE 4/29/2016: Offer has been extended through July 2, 2016.
You can earn $200 when opening a new BMO Harris Bank Everyday Checking, Select Checking, or Portfolio Checking account. This promotional offer is valid between July 27, 2015 and
January 22, July 2, 2016, and is limited to one account per customer.
|0.05*%||$10k||-||BMO Harris Bank||BMO Harris Select Checking|
|0.05*%||-||-||BMO Harris Bank||BMO Harris Portfolio Checking|
- Use or mention the promotion code when opening the new checking account.
- Have at least one recurring qualifying direct deposit of $300 or more on at least a monthly basis.
- Initial direct deposit must be received within 60 days of new account opening.
- Qualifying direct deposits are defined as "a paycheck, pension payment, Social Security payment, or other government benefits payment electronically deposited."
- Not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking account customers (including all signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months of opening a new account as part of this promotion.
- If requirements are met, the bonus will be credited after approximately 120 days of account opening.
- The account must be open and in good standing to receive the cash bonus.
- The account must be open for a minimum of six months to keep the bonus, and there is an Early Termination Fee of $50 if the account is closed within 90 days
Of the three checking accounts, the Everyday Checking is probably the best option. Its $10 monthly fee can be waived if any of the following requirements are met:
- Receive an external deposit of $500 or more, OR
- Maintain a minimum daily balance of $1K or more, OR
- If you are a college student, you can request a fee waiver, which could result in the account being fee free for four years.
Complete details for all BMO Harris checking accounts are listed on the Checking Accounts page for easy comparison.
BMO Harris Bank’s market area includes Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Opening a checking account and/or redeeming the $200 cash bonus can be done online or at any of 597 branches. The vast majority of branches are located in Illinois and Wisconsin, with both states having 198 branches each.
The promotion code (which will be sent via email) must be used or mentioned when opening a new checking account to qualify for the $200 bonus.
BMO Harris Bank (FDIC Certificate # 16571) has an "A" rating at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 6.98% (excellent) based on March 31, 2015 data. In the past years, BMO Harris Bank has increased its total deposits by $2.38 Billion, an excellent annual growth rate of 3.23%. Please refer to our financial overview of BMO Harris Bank for more details.
BMO Harris Bank can trace its origins to the Glencoe National Bank, which was established in 1947 in Glencoe, Illinois. Almost 40 years later, the name was changed to Harris Bank Glencoe-Northbrook, N.A. May 2005 was a busy month for the Bank, with the acquisition of 26 Illinois banks, the Bank headquarters moved to Chicago, and another name change (Harris National Association). The next six years saw another 11 acquisitions and a final name change. Today, BMO Harris Bank is the 2nd largest bank in Illinois and the 25th largest bank in the country, with assets in excess of $96 Billion.
How the Checking Bonus Compares
$1K in an Everyday Checking account for six months = $200 cash bonus
$1K in a savings account earning 1.00% = $4.99
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for BMO Harris Bank’s various checking bonuses? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.