BMO Harris Bank has unveiled a new $200 checking bonus when opening a Smart Money Account, Smart Advantage Account, or Premier Account. This promotional offer is valid now through June 30, 2017, and can be opened online, in-branch, or by phone.
- Use or mention the promotion code when opening the new checking account.
- Have at least two qualifying direct deposits of $300 or more within 90 days of account opening.
- Qualifying direct deposits are defined as "a paycheck, pension payment, Social Security payment, or other government benefits payment electronically deposited."
- Not available to existing BMO Harris personal checking account customers (including all signers on joint accounts) or those who have closed a BMO Harris personal checking account within the past 12 months.
- Limited to one bonus per customer
- If requirements are met, the bonus will be credited after approximately 120 days of account opening.
- The account must be open and in good standing to receive the cash bonus.
- There is an Early Termination Fee of $20 if the account is closed within 90 days. In the past, the account had to remain open for a minimum of six months to keep the bonus, but there is no mention of that provision in the fine print.
Of the three checking accounts, the Smart Advantage may be the best option. There is no monthly maintenance fee and the $2 paper statement fee will be waived with eStatements. While there is no minimum balance requirement, there is a $25 minimum opening deposit.
Complete details for all BMO Harris checking accounts are listed on the Checking Accounts page for easy comparison.
In the recent past, BMO Harris Bank’s $200 checking bonus was limited to Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Washington, and Wisconsin. The latest version of the $200 bonus is available nationwide
Opening a checking account and/or applying for the $200 cash bonus can be done online, at any of the more than 606 full-service branches located in Arizona (47), Florida (32), Illinois (201), Indiana (64), Kansas (8), Minnesota (22), Missouri (20), Washington (1), and Wisconsin (210), or by calling 1.866.362.1166.
If opening in-branch, the promotion code (sent via email) must be used when opening a new checking account to qualify for the $200 bonus.
BMO Harris Bank has an overall health grade of "B+" rating at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 5.67% (excellent) based on December 31, 2016 data. BMO Harris Bank has an excellent capitalization level of 14.95%, the result of holding $106.17 billion in assets with $15.87 billion in equity. Please refer to our financial overview of BMO Harris Bank (FDIC Certificate # 16571) for more details.
BMO Harris Bank can trace its origins to the Glencoe National Bank, which was established in 1947 in Glencoe, Illinois. Almost 40 years later, the name was changed to Harris Bank Glencoe-Northbrook, N.A. May 2005 was a busy month for the Bank, with the acquisition of 26 Illinois banks, the Bank headquarters moved to Chicago, and another name change (Harris National Association). The next six years saw another 11 acquisitions and a final name change. Today, BMO Harris Bank is the 2nd largest bank in Illinois and the 27th largest bank in the country.
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for BMO Harris Bank’s checking bonus? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.