UPDATE 8/19/2016: Extended through September 30, 2016.
While similar to earlier promotions, this version of the $200 checking bonus can be applied for online, in-branch, or by phone. Some earlier promotions have not been available online.
To Qualify for the $200 Bonus:
- Open a new Fifth Third Essential Checking® account.
- Enroll in direct deposit within 90 days of account opening.
- Make three online payments within 90 days of account opening.
- Coupon code must be referenced when opening the checking account in-branch or by phone.
- Available only for new checking account customers, defined as those who have not closed a Fifth Third checking or Express Banking account in the past 12 months.
- Checking account must be opened between July 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, with a minimum $50 deposit.
- All requirements and qualifying activity must be met within 90 days of account opening to receive the $200 bonus.
- Bonus will be deposited in new checking account within six weeks of fulfilling the requirements.
- There is a limit of one bonus offer per account per household, and cannot be combined with other bonuses.
- Each Fifth Third customer is limited to one new account-related gift incentive per calendar year.
- In the past, a checking account had to remain open for 9 months to avoid a late termination fee, but there is none listed with this promotion.
- There is a monthly fee ($8 or $11) on the Essential Checking® accounts, but it can be waived.
Headquartered in Cincinnati, Fifth Third Bank is currently the 3rd largest bank in Ohio. Established in 1865, Fifth Third Bank is also the 17th largest bank in the nation, with assets in excess of $140 billion.
This $200 bonus is available to residents of Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and West Virginia, with eligibility determined by Zip Code.
Applying for the Fifth Third $200 checking account bonus can be done online, by phone (877.579.5353), or in person at any of over 1,200 full-service branches, located in Florida (155), Georgia (32), Illinois (150), Indiana (129), Kentucky (93), Michigan (220), Missouri (17), North Carolina (58), Ohio (335), Pennsylvania (11), Tennessee (36), and West Virginia (7).
A coupon code is necessary when applying, whether online, in-branch, or by phone, and will be emailed to the address you provide.
Fifth Third Bank (FDIC Certificate # 6672) has an overall health grade of "B+" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas ratio of 4.76% (excellent) based on March 31, 2016 data. Fifth Third Bank has an excellent capitalization level (13.39%), a result of holding $138.97 billion in assets with $18.74 billion in equity. Please refer to our financial overview of Fifth Third Bank for more details.
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for the Fifth Third Bank checking bonus? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Deals Forum.