BBVA Compass Reviews

Feels Like Bait & Switch To Me

I tried to take advantage of BBVA's attractive money market account by opening an account online but it didn't go well. The website gave me two different answers (including directing me to a screen to "fund my account") and customer service (via telephone) gave me three different answers. Bottom line - they couldn't verify my identity (never had that happen before) and wouldn't tell me why (no opportunity to document identity) and directed me to go to a branch. When I visited a local branch I discovered the pricing & requirements are completely different and, of course, not in my favor. To make matters worse, they pulled my credit. The account was never opened. I will take my business elsewhere. Stay clear of BBVA.

Sudden Drop In Interest Rate

A tad disappointed. Opened Money Market in September 2015 when the rate was advertised at 1.20 per cent. When checking this a/c on line I noticed I was getting a rate of 1.09. Upon calling the rep I opened the a/c with she said this rate would last for a year (citing it was actually a better deal than the 1.20.)
This month, after being nine months into the 12 month period mentioned, the rate has dropped to ,20.
Fool me once -- fool me twice.
Website is also quirky and a bit awkward to navigate.

I like their free checking accounts

I very much dislike paying banking fees of any type. I had the luxury of having free checking accounts with a few banks while I was in college, as many banks offer free checking and savings accounts to students. Once I graduated, I was converted over to checking accounts that had high monthly fees. I was happy when I found that BBVA Compass offered free checking accounts to anyone, not just students. Not only does my checking account not have any monthly fees, there are also no fees to use the ATM. There are times when you are not near your own bank's ATM and have to use another bank's ATM. Most banks charge a high fee to use an ATM that is not their own. Monthly fees and ATM fees can add up quickly if you are not careful. So I am happy that I found a bank that I can trust, and not have to worry about money suddenly coming out of my account due to unexpected fees. If you are looking for a good bank with no fees, you should definitely check out BBVA Compass.

I Still Bank Here. I'm Not Rich, And I Really Enjoy It-Even When There Have Been Growing Pains

Posted by: 1xlogin | Jun 23, 2012

I felt compelled to stand up for my bank after stumbling across such negative people on here...So I asked my FRIENDLY local branch to educate me as if I were a new client-they know me there by first name and humored me for the request. (I was actually deciding where to consolidate all of my bank accounts). He did so and here's the answers & fliers I left with:

*65+ y/o Senior Checking reintroduced due to client's voicing their concerns. Free checks and paper statement with your social security direct deposit.

*Everyday Hero-FREE checking for active & retired military, doctors, nurses, EMT, medical professionals/techs, all lines of sworn police & firefighters, teachers.

Qualifiers to get a FREE CHECKING ACCOUNT:

*Direct deposit 1x a month that is $300+ and e-statements from my online banking. This is much nicer than my Chase account I closed out that wanted $500+ 1x a month. My weekly part time checks aren't that much.

*Student accounts for those under 25 are free--pretty cool but doesn't apply to me.

*1500 average daily balance in the checking.-someday I won't laught at that idea :)

Their savings rates were really good as well. Not much now-a-days but every little bit helps. They honestly paid more than my savings credit union and local major and minor banks. We pulled up 6-8 bank rates at his computer and none we found were better. That fits my needs just fine so I decided I'd stay there.

I pride myself on keeping current and here's my response to all the Debby Downers:

1. Free checking accounts didn't really make it mainstream until the 1990's when major players like Wachovia introduced and forced others to offer this as well and interest rates on a CDs were high enough to live off of. Times change, move on.

2. A bank's policies change with tighter Gov't regulation (ex. Durbin Amendment). Everyone wants their cake and eat it too. Regulate to prevent another economic decline yet many individual people are not ready to deal with personal ramifications of this. People get regulation and low yields. They want their 401k/retirement plans to grow magically but don't realise where the money comes from. If you want explosive growth & returns use the stock market-or Vegas :)

3. With BBVA Compass, previously Guaranty, I find it hard to imagine that the customer service in all the branches has changed that drastically. Perhaps the employees ARE doing as much for you as they can or know how. The bank name changed, not the people. Don't shoot the messengers if you have to dial a toll-free 1-800 number...They could easily make YOU pay for the phone call instead. lol!

4. Don't get me started on people who B. about overdraft fees. Don't spend money you don't have, idiots. Take any fee with humility and learn to manage your finances better. Yes, YOU violated the terms of the account, so you pay a fee. It's disclosed when you open an account ANYWHERE! Overdraft fees weren't invented last night nor headline news on CNN in the morning when you woke up. I find that the couple instances in my life I have overdrafted, I politely asked if someone was able to fix it and ya know what? They did. I doubt they would be so nice if I had come in yelling and screaming-I certainly wouldn't have.

5. Most banks and credit unions now have qualifiers for their accounts it seems. My friend banks at a credit union that charges $1 a month for a debit card.

6. Former Guaranty Bank failed. They didn't receive a bailout. I feel happy that someone took them over and they didn't go running to the gov't for TARP bailouts. A poorly run business suffered the just consequences. Ex. You won't learn why you shouldn't touch the hot stove until you feel it's burn.

This is turning into a rant. I hope it helps at least 1 person out there. Give BBVA a try, I think you'll like them. I certainly still do.

The right choice for simple banking

Posted by: Batman16 | Mar 4, 2016

I have been a customer of BBVA for 8 years. I previously was with Bank of America, and I consistently had random fees show up on my account. Also, the customer service was terrible. I really love that BBVA doesn't have a mandatory minimum balance for their savings accounts, and the checking account is reasonable for the service. The online website is very easy to use and any transfers to and from my account are processed quickly and efficiently. Finally, something that I personally value, the customer service is amazing and attentive. By far exceeds the industry standard, and has been consistently reliable for me throughout my banking experience.

Great Customer Service

Posted by: lurkturk | Feb 19, 2016

I was at a business where a worker took my card to charge me for my bill and they ended up taking my debit card number/information. They made one large purchase to one of the biggest app stores. I called the company they purchased from several times and was put on hold constantly and transferred between many people, until the final time I was transferred and subsequently disconnected without anyone helping me. I decided to call the number on my BBVA Compass card and was able to talk to a customer service rep who was extremely nice and didn't push my problems to someone else. She commiserated with me and told me exactly the steps I would have to take, and ordered a new debit card for me at no charge. Within a couple days, I had the missing money back into my account entirely based on the actions of the worker at BBVA Compass. I highly recommend their services and appreciate the help they offer whenever you need it.

Reward Checking Account Not Worth The Hassle

Posted by: Rupp | Mar 4, 2014

I signed up for a checking account with BBVA after being provoked by their free Kindle Fire offer. 3 reasons why I will not be this naive again: BBVA is holding my money hostage with a fee-loaded gun ($4 per month if under $1500 in the account and $25 fee for closing the account inside of 6 months), you can't close the account over the phone, and branches are a sales trap. I did receive the Kindle Fire, but boy they are making me pay for it. The account pays no interest, so I am basically paying them for the Kindle by giving them free money. Their online banking platform is a bit arduous to navigate, as the layout and terminology can be confusing at times, and pages take longer to load. Customer Service Reps were helpful, so all in all I had a good experience.

Bbva Compass - Nsf Fees

Posted by: JoshFTW | May 13, 2016

BBVA Compass is a wonderful bank in terms of customer service and up-to-date technology. However, their policy on leveraging NSF (non-sufficient funds) charges has been a frustration on more than one occasion. There is a charge of $38 for even a small over draft of $.01, and getting that charge reversed is near impossible. That being said, any other matters concerning customer service have been handled flawlessly. I am most impressed by the mobile application BBVA provides. It is quick and easy to use for many services. I especially like that it can be unlocked using my finger print on my iPhone, this creates a quick access to all of my accounts. Overall, I am satisfied with BBVA. I would recommend a more lenient policy on NSF charges, however, as most banks have created a grace program for such situations. As a college student, every penny counts and I would prefer not to have to set up with another bank as I have banked with BBVA for 6 years now.

Compass Bank Supports Cyber Thieves

Posted by: slob259 | Dec 27, 2011

My plumbing business account was hijacked through Compass Banks data bases, drained down to zero, and the so called investigation determined that the charges were authorized... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This account was only used for very specific purchases, fuel & plumbing supplies only, and then all of the sudden charges from all over the country start popping up, movies, makeup, clothes, dating services, acne medications, Facebook, etc etc. I own a PLUMBING COMPANY IN COLORADO, somebody went on a wild shopping spree at my expense and Compass Bank says there is nothing they will do about it because the investigation has determined that the charges were authorized. Authorized by who? A 15 year old girl in Los Angeles?.

On top of that, they have the nerve to charge my account into the negative with there never ending fees, which they now expect me to pay, even after all the money was stolen & my account is zero. Save yourself alot of grief by closing your Compass Bank accounts ASAP, before they let cyber criminals steal it all.

My Personal Experience With BBVA Compass

I banked with BBVA Compass for about two years starting in 2012 and ending in 2014. The reason why I started banking with them in the first place was based on a recommendation from a friend of mine who banked with them and said it was the best experience with a bank she'd had thus far. When I first opened my account, inside the branch, everyone was so helpful and friendly. My wait inside the lobby for someone to assist me could have been no longer than three minutes, and the bank was full of people. I thought that was impressive off the bat. At the time I was receiving disabiility SSI payments for my daughter and needed a bank that would set up a representative payee account for me, which I'd previously had with Chase. They were able to set this account up for me with ease and my daughter's SSI payments are transferred to that particular account with no problem every single month. There were a couple of times that I wasn't paying attention to the balance in my checking account and was charged an overdraft fee. When I saw the charges, I called the bank to see if they'd be willing to work with me. I had a lot of things going on in my life that made it to where I wasn't keeping up with my balance. They were more than happy to give me a second chance and returned the overdraft fee to my account with advice on how to receive low balance alert texts so that I wouldn't have that problem again. Every time I called customer service the representatives and very helpful, friendly, and informative. Overall it was the best experience I've had before and since with a bank and I'm actually considering banking with them again in the near future.

Not For The 99%

Posted by: 99percent | Feb 17, 2012

I had my checking account with Guareentee bank since I was old enough to have one. They got bought out by this bank the same year I joined peace corps. I made the mistake of not paying attention to the increasing account fees partly out of ignorance, yes, but I had only monthly access to internet, and since I wasn't using it for 2 years it didn't cross my mind to check up on it. Needless to say I closed it angerly. $20 a month unless you are eligible for their waiver program, while I've been making $200 abroad, volunteering, a chunk of that has been taken from these thieves.

Please avoid this bank unless you have so much money, you qualify for get their waivers.

If I had a BBVA in the town I live in, I'd be handing out pamphlets to people, educating them on the reasons not to bank there.

This bank is NOT for the 99%.

Great people, great bank!

I live in Corona, and have been using BBVA for almost a year now. I have both a checking and a savings account with them, and I couldn't be happier with my service. The people at my location are amazing! They are very personal, and know me by name (even though I don't go there that often). One time in particular that stands out, is when I had overdrafted my checking account. I went there in person to deal with the issue, and they were more than helpful. They happily assisted me, waved the fee, and helped me set up a free overdraft account in case it happened again. It was a great experience, and that is just one example of the excellent customer service I have received there. The only rating that I didn't give them a 5 on is their web/mobile experience. I'm not a huge fan of the mobile app, and have had problems with it crashing in the past.

BBVA Compass

Posted by: tbc | Apr 13, 2016

I have banked at BBVA Compass for several years. I love them! I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. When I need to contact customer service over the phone, they always have been helpful and met my needs. They actually make me feel like they appreciate my business. I use their website for online banking just about every day, and have never had a problem with it. It's easy to use and is in "real-time" so I always know exactly what my balance is. The bank is very convenient for me when I travel because they have so many locations that I can always find one of their ATMs. I've also gone into other locations when I am out of town and still receive high quality customer service. The best thing about this bank is their mobile app. I can check my balance and make transfers anytime from my Android phone. The app is super easy to use.

BBVA Is a Decent Bank

Posted by: FleaC | Apr 9, 2016

I have been a member with BBVA Compass Bank for years. It was easy to sign up, only a quick questionnaire, with no minimum balance to start my checking account. I didn't qualify for free checking, so I had to pay a monthly maintenance fee of $9.95. Since then, the fee has increased to $13.95 a month, which isn't as bad as a lot of other institutions. I've had mostly good experiences with BBVA Compass. They are always quick to greet me when I got into the bank to receive service. Only once did I have a transaction that wasn't accurate. The teller gave me $100 less than I requested. However, the problem was resolved the next day and $100 was returned to my checking account. I ended up opening a savings account with them as well. It's great for a basic savings account, but I do not receive a dividend and I have a limit to the amount of transfers I make from my savings to other accounts if I initiate the transfer online. If I pass the limit, I get charged a fee. Other than that, my experience with BBVA Compass bank is positive and I will continue to be a member of the bank unless they no longer provide their services to my area.

Former Employee

Posted by: angry888 | Sep 26, 2012

BBVA Compass prides itself on being the best bank to work for, and frankly it is bull crap. I worked at this bank for almost 5 years, had to fight for a promotion and threaten to quit. I even worked out a notice to be offered a promotion over an hour from my house. I have a small child, so I took this, but was unable to make the drive. I quit, and now they have me as no rehire. Which I believe is crap. They are one of the lowest paying banks. No one knows what they are doing there. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. They charge customers tons of fees, and offer no help when an accidental overdraft occurs. I know this because I was a Financial Sales Advisor and was told not to give any fees back under any circumstances. I would not recommend this bank for employment or for customers.

Easy To Use

I have used BBVA Compass as one of my checking accounts for the last few years. I choose the bank because it is located less than 3 minutes from my job. It is easy to set up a direct deposit account and get checks. I would visit the branch about once every two weeks to make a withdraw or deposit some live checks. There was not a fee involved, which was important to me because I refuse to pay basic banking fees. Since I set up direct deposit my checking account was free. I would not set up the checking account if there was a fee attached. The bank was very busy on Fridays and I would not go in those days. It was also easy to use online banking. I could pay bills directly from the website and not have to use my checks for that. I would recommend the bank to my friends.

Great customer service!

Posted by: Rayge | Mar 15, 2016

I have been banking with BBVA for many years now and have been going into their branches as well. Every time I go in the tellers are always professional and courteous. They are quick to help and always seem upbeat and I love it there! BBVA doesn't have the best online application just yet but they are getting there. With BBVA I feel like I bank with a smaller bank so it also has more of a personal feel to it. I currently have a checking and savings account with them and have inquired a few fees. But, they we're my fault so when the bank charged them I understood. They have never really worked with me on overdraft fees so they are a little strict with their policy. But, BBVA is exceptional and I will continue to bank with them.

Good bank for general needs

Posted by: jb33133 | Mar 14, 2016

I had a checking account at BBVA Compass for several years while living in Arizona. I used to go to the Payson branch on a regular basis. I thought the employees there were very nice and helpful. My questions were always answered to my satisfaction, and I never really had to wait in line when I went into the branch. Parking was convenient and adequate. Overall I would recommend this bank for any of your general banking needs. I think the fees are in line with what you have to pay at any other bank. The difference here is the service they provide. The flexible hours are also convenient for my needs. I never had any surprise fees or charges on my account. My identity was never compromised while banking here and I trusted them with my personal information.

BBVA Is A Hit!

Posted by: TRANNGY | Mar 8, 2016

I moved recently and was searching for a new bank. After spending what seemed like hours of research, I decided to try BBVA Compass. I had carefully researched its products, fees, and most importantly, the reviews from current customers. I opened a simple checking account. Not many banks will allow that without jumping through a lot of hoops each month in order to avoid paying fees. I do not have to maintain a large balance in the account to avoid fees either. I particularly like that BBVA Compass offers so many different products. They have very competitive rates on their CD's and there is the option of having a savings account that actually earns interest. The tellers at the local bank are always friendly and extremely helpful. Any time that I have had even a silly question, they were able to give me the information necessary immediately. They have also helped me plan my financial goals and portfolio management. I feel quite at ease with this bank and tell all of my friends. Many have changed banks and are now customers with BBVA Compass. It is a pleasure to do business with a bank that is not out only for their own interests. They take the time, invest in the training, hire the right people and most importantly, take your account seriously.

A decent Bank Overall

Posted by: Tensor | Feb 26, 2016

I have been a long time customer of BBVA Compass. When I first applied I was 18 years old and knew very little about the world of fiances. The nice staff worked together with me to help me establish a savings account for what I needed and they helped to explain all of the finer details of the account. There have been a few incidents where I've overdrawn my account accidentally and the customer service has worked with me to help correct these problems and waive the fees as well. The online features feel a little dated, I have trouble with the online depositing features on the website and have had some issues depositing checks received from my job. Other than that, BBVA Compass is a very good establishment.

Horrible Customer Service

I lost my password to my online banking, and also got a new computer.  I have called the bank 5 or 6 times and they cannot get me back on online.   They sent me a letter to confirm that I had a new password, but neither the letter has a link on a password reset.   What a joke.

So,  the logical alternative is to call and do business over the phone, one would think.  Nope,   one of my accounts is "inactive" so I can't make transfers from that account.  More paperwork is needed.....

When I wanted to cancel a CD, they told me to fax a notarized request, with my driver license to a nonexistent fax number.  When I sent it by the regular mail, they never complied with my request.

So, when I visit the bank to withdraw my funds, what will the excuse be?  I sincerely suspect that they will make it difficult.   Dreadful, horrible experience.

Mrs. CW Carlson

Not Reliable For Business Accounts

Posted by: larsenk | Nov 23, 2012

BVAA Compass decided to cull company accounts not deemed profitable enough.  Mine was one of the ones they decided to close.  By the time I got back from a business trip to Europe and wanted to deposit some checks, the account was closed and they claimed to have sent the money in the account to the State of Colorado. The local bank claims this was initiated by the national office and when I called the national office "customer service" they claimed it was initiated by the local office. State website claims there is no money under my company name.

Run, run for your life. Your company success could actually be on the line if you select BVAA Compass.

BBVA Compass Bank Sucks - No Regards For Customers

Posted by: togo | Jul 16, 2013

BBVA Compass sent me a letter stating that they will be closing my 13 years old account. I went to two BBVA Compass Branches, called the phone# on the letter (877-297-8803) and no one can tell me why. tthe Reps i spoke to told me there's nothing wrong with my account but BBVA Compass is uncomfortable with it.  When I asked what they are uncomfortable with, no one at BBVA Compass seem to know. Per the reps on 877-297-8803,  they do not have to tell my why they are closing my account. What a shame... after 13 years BBVA cannot tell me what I did wrong and why they are closing my account? BBVA compass customer beware, someone at BBVA Compass can wake up one day and decide to close your account for no single reason, they do not owe you an explanation...

Worst Bank EVER!!!!

Posted by: kmaples | Jan 23, 2012

I have never been so disapponited in the ethics of a company.  Their fees are outragious.  They do not care about their customers at all.  They will not have my business any longer.  Be very aware that this bank will robb you in fees and they have no answers for why this is happening.

The Worst Ever! PERIOD!!! If I Could Do Less Than 1 Star... I WOULD!

Posted by: kristin | Sep 21, 2011

Terrible customer service. Horrid! I could go on and on and on! The will charge you NSF fees, without cause once your balance falls below a certain amount, then treat you as if you were a child. The will give you a reason for their charges, like pending VS posted... time transactions post... all of it is BS! I live and breathe by online banking. I am not a reckless spender. If something may, MAY make me go under a certain balance, I transfer money! Not rocket science! Oh, by the way... my own personal banker has told me on more than 1 occasion that She "does not agree with their banking practices" her words, not mine! I have direct deposit along with 2 savings acct. I LIVE by the available balance. I have been given the run around and cornered them in so many excuses, it is pathetic. If someone steals money from you, you would fight to get it back, right? This is very bad business! They are con artists to say the least.  I am disgusted! Oh, 1 more thing. If you do encounter 1 NSF fee, be assured you will have at least 4 or 5 more... why? Not 1 single person can tell me. NOT ONE! For EVERY excuse they offer, if you counter it... you will just be given some other half assed excuse. UNBELIEVABLE! I wouldn't recommend this institution to anyone... anytime! PERIOD!

CREDIT UNIONS

Posted by: stevengs17 | Jun 5, 2013

PEOPLE! CREDIT UNIONS ARE BEST.

Compass Bought Guaranty Bank And Trashed A Great Bank!

Posted by: aka101 | May 5, 2011

I bank with numerous banks.  I have NEVER had the consistent problems with any company that I have ever dealt with before in my life.  Numerous charges for their mistakes that would take me WEEKS to fix.  (Including trying keep my excellent reputation in tact.)

Totally deleting my statements and then CHARGING me to have paper ones sent to me.

Losing deposits and then not posting them to the correct accounts.

Customer service reps that say they will call back with information and NEVER call after repeat requests for follow up.

They are an absolute disaster!  We switched almost every account over to Wachovia (which has now been bought by Wells Fargo) and they have reminded me how incredibly easy it is to have professional people do their job with multiple accounts.

It's a shame Compass had to ruin Guaranty and force us to other banks.

Fees Go Up

Posted by: exelant | Feb 17, 2012

I was hit with a $2.00 fee to check my account balance - I wasn't aware BBVA Compass had added a fee for non network ATMs - but I wouldn't have expected a fee to simply check a balance. Anyone in IT knows there is almost no cost associated with something like this once the software parameters have been set. Apparently word went out in the paper statements. I generally don't open them because I manage my account on-line. Anyway, when checking the balance, I had enough to cover the purchase. The $2.00 wasn't deducted until after I checked the balance. I ended up being .50 short in my account and was charged a $38.00 overdraft fee. My fault? Yes. Fair? I don't think it was, but it was a charge I earned by not paying close enough attention. I rarely use ATMs so didn't see the new fees being added.

I complained to my branch and they refunded the fee, but left the big red OD line on my statement and heaped a bit of shame on me for my mistake. I then looked around and found their fees for an overdraft are quite high, even for the Denver area. I also learned $2.00 is a high charge to check one's balance. So, I consider myself chastized and am ashamed of myself for my mistake. So ashamed in fact I am moving my account to another bank next week.

The Following Are Pretty Compelling Reasons That I Am In The Market For A New Bank For My Business.

Posted by: ChazU4ea | Jul 16, 2012

The following are pretty compelling reasons that I am in the market for a new bank for my business.

1. Compass Points program changes and problems. The program is essentially worthless based on changes in the fall of 2011. The program is now limited to a glorified advertising/referral program for vendors I don't use. Also, I’ve never received notice of expiring points from when the program was worth something.  They might check with United Airlines, but I don't think systematically diluting value from a customer loyalty program is advisable especially when it is this blatant.

2. Charges for phone transfers despite the fact they are never done correctly. I have watched this service decline over the last 24 months to the point that it is almost laughable. I could get in my car and drive the funds to the counterparty and avoid delays and follow up calls necessary to make certain the transfer was completed correctly. I also enjoy being chastised by a Compass phone representative for using phone transfers as opposed to options I have already evaluated and found were not a good fit. Did I mention I pay for each transaction?  That’s what I look for in a bank, condescending customer service. Compass might remind their customer service reps that I am revenue and they are expense.

3. Deactivation of business check card accounts for possible fraud and no attempt to contact the customer to let them know. It was nice of Compass to shut down my business without notifying me. To add insult to injury, the security representative explains that I was not notified because they are shorthanded. She then tells me about the $50 fee to expedite my card replacement. I guess as long as they can shut down my business, they might as well gouge me with an outrageous replacement card fee since they know I have no other option. I guess I could let the fee slide if it supports the cost structure for their 24 hour check card support line, but they no longer have one.

I think Compass can do better, especially since they’ve proven so in the past. It’s amazing what adding four letters to the Compass brand has done to their perceived value of customers. Rest assured that if the Compass culture is one where the customer is a problem, it will be a temporary issue.

$50 To ACH - Yes Really

Posted by: sjh13 | May 5, 2011

Compass is instituting a $50 "set up: fee to ACH out of any account (not just "commercial" according to a CSR I spoke with). Really......you've got to be kidding....is anyone really going to pay that!  Then, after the inital $50, they will charge $1/ACH....

Excellent Experience

Posted by: CHersh | Nov 24, 2010

I have been banking with Compass for over 4 years now and have had nothing but positive experiences with them.  They have graciously removed an overdraft fee in the past when my account accidentally went in the red and all around have been very helpful when working with me.  I feel that my money is safe at Compass.

Run. Find A Different Bank.

Worst bank ever. I wish I had read the reviews before I signed on. They will take your money by any means necessary. I don't understand how their business practices aren't considered criminal and fraudulent. Awful customer service to boot. Everyone that works for this company has been drinking the same KoolAid. I don't know how any of them sleep at night.

Terrible Experience

Here's just the last anecdote from few years using Compass as my primary bank:

My wife and I had separate checking accounts and we shared a joint account solely for joint expenses and to transfer money to each other (because Clueless Compass employees couldn't set up a way for me to do a direct transfer). After a couple years with no problems, they unexpectedly began charging me $10.95 a month for the joint account. At the same time, a separate business checking account was also getting this charge.

It took several phone calls with Clueless CSRs, a few unanswered emails, and two visits to two separate, Clueless branch managers to figure this out - but they eventually told me the account was not going to be free any more unless I had $400 directly deposited each month. Not happy, but I changed my paycheck to put in $200 each payday (totaling at least $400 a month). After seeing the charge for the next two months, I went back in and eventually one of the Clueless Ones figured out that it had to be $400 all at once.

I explained that I was just going to transfer the $400 back out the next day, but it was out of his control. I asked if he could refund the amount that I had been charged based on his bad advice, they couldn't help me. I explained that this was the last straw and I was going to be closing my accounts - he said sorry.

This really is just one example of many bad interactions - if I didn't have so much stuff tied to that account I would have left years before.

DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!! KILLEEN, TX

I opened an account with this bank when they were Guaranty Bank.  I loved that bank and didn't have any issues with the direct deposits, transfers or bill pay.  I used to get nickle rewards whenever I used my debit card, and if I ever had to use my card out of network, they would reimburse the ATM fee.

Then along came the buyout.  BBVA Compass buys out Guaranty and it has become one nightmare after another.

I make less than $1000.00 a month and have a very strict budget I live on.  I was told my direct deposits are considered a pending transaction on the day my employers "electronically" deposit my paycheck, and are available for use immediatly.  I have bills to pay as soon as I get my monthly paycheck.  I receive word our paychecks have been deposited (on a Tuesday), and I go online to pay my bills.  3 days later I get 3 postcards from BBVA stating my account had been overdrawn, bilsl paid,  but I was charged $38.00 NSF fees.  OMG I am furious.  I recheck the balance on my account online and it shows my deposit never went in till Thursday.  WTF.  I had left just enough money in my account to eat on for the month, and now I was completely broke and in the hole by all the overdraft and NSF fees BBVA deemed to be appropriate.

I went to the bank to speak to someone about these charges and printouts from their website showing when my paycheck first was on the pending transactions with the Tuesday date listed and the printout from Friday morning when I found out I was completely in the hole.  I spoke to someone who could not and would not give me a straight answer.   She made one excuse after another as to how a electronic deposit takes up to two days to actually be deposited into the bank and be available for use by the customer.  BULL***T!!!!  I had proof the deposit was there on the tuesday, and proof it was not credited till thursday.  I explained to her that any idiot can tell the difference between an electronic deposit and one made in person.  I showed her the contract I first signed with Guaranty, and she told me that contract became voided once they were bought out by BBVA, and I had been sent and signed a new contract when the buyout had been completed.  Again BULL***T!!  I asked her to prove to me I signed a new contract for my checking account when BBVA took over.  She couldn't.

To make a long story even longer (lol) since she couldn't prove to me I signed a new contract (which I did not do), I told her I wanted my money put back they had taken from me in OD charges and NSF fees, or I was going to take my printed statements, and printed online copies of my account to a lawyer and sue them for stealing, then file claims with the FDIC and BBB.  She had to speak to a supervisor (which she told me she was when I first got there), got the authority to put back all my money, but it would take up to 36 hours for it to be there. Funny, it didn't take them that long to take it out of my account.   I told her if they ever did this again, then I will file suits against them.

What they are doing is ILLEGAL and UNETHICAL.  Needless to say I did not learn my lesson with them, and just recently I am having the same issues with them, but this time they are not messing with my paycheck (moved that to a different bank) but they are messing with my fiance's weekly deposits made by his trucking company.  His company "electronically" deposited a $1800.00 paycheck before noon on Friday.   Electronically is Immediately, and any deposits made before 3pm Monday - Friday are available for use by 9am the following morning.  Electronic deposits are available for use immediately, based on their (BBVA's) policy.  That paycheck showed up on Friday under pending, and once again it was NEVER made available to us until Monday, which once again, I paid bills and had to withdraw money for travel, and we got 6 $38.00 NSF fee's and overdraft fees because of their irreputable standards.

NEEDLESS TO SAY IF THIS DOESN'T SAY SOMETHING TO YOU ABOUT THEIR SERVICE, THEN NOTHING WILL.  BANK WITH THIS COMPANY, AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK.  IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO GIVE AWAY, THEN YOU WILL REALLY LOVE THIS BANK.  BUT FOR MY FIANCE' AND I, OUR MONEY WILL BE WITH A BANK THAT HAS SOMETHING BBVA COMPASS DOESN'T......  CUSTOMER SERVICE & CUSTOMER SATISFACTION = HEART!!

Horrible Bank

I would close out everything they charge for everything and all about making money and dont care about their customers. The are so money driven its sad. I feel bad for anyone that banks with such a bad bank.

Rediculious In So Many Ways

Posted by: Anonymous | Jan 19, 2011

At first I thought this bank was a great bank. That didn't last long at all. I then started to have problems with their website, and then had the the outside teller machine take my card. Then the worst thing of all was when I had been shown the day before that 4 pending transactions showed my account balance to still be in the black. Those same charges that were in the black the day before were all in the red. Even just after a $10.26 charge that made all four transactions now in the red. It makes "0" sense to me that this can be possible when the day before they were fine and just 1 $10.26 charge could cause them all to go into the red. Very Dissatisfied and warning others!

Quickbooks Nightmare.

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 24, 2012

I work for an accounting firm and Compass no longer supports QuickBook downloads. You can log on through QBs, but you must be the primary user having full access to the account. No bank should require a client to give their accountant total access to the bank account. Plus you can't specify a time period to download account activity. It dumps all transactions since your last download into QBs.

Ridiculous Fees

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 22, 2011

Why would anyone use this bank when there are so many better options out there?

ACH? Try A $50 Set Up Fee!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2011

Oh yeah, Compass is initiating a $50, yes you read that right, FIFTY DOLLAR "set up" fee to ACH from the Compass side.....on all accounts.....I couldn't believe it. I have 2 business checking accounts and a MMA acct, and you'd better believe I won't be using the new "ACH" for a $50 fee. When I called, a CSR told me this was comparable to "standard market" fees. REALLY!!!!!

My Experience With BBVA Compass

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 12, 2011

I am very pleased with BBVA Compass. I have several accounts with this bank in Birmingham,Alabama USA, and I could not be happier with their performance. They are always one step ahead of the other banks, and I don't think I would ever consider using any other bank. CWM- VESTAVIA HILLS, ALABAMA.

So Far, So Good

Posted by: Anonymous | Feb 28, 2011

Moved money in a wire transfer from my credit union, which was undercapitalized. BBVA manager invited me into her office in Riverside, CA, gave me handouts and brochures when I was bank shopping. The account setup was painless and fast and took less than 10 minutes. Ther Texas rating is excellent and the customer service is great. The bank tellers say hello when I walk in. Good folks. Nice bank. And Compass never took TARP funds.