High-Yield Reward Checking Account at University of Iowa Community Credit Union
Update 9/1/11: The top yield has fallen to 3.25% APY. Please see bottom of post for the rate history.
University of Iowa Community CU is offering a reward checking account that pays 3.25% APY on balances up to $25,000 (0.25% over) and refunds ATM fees if the following monthly requirements are met: 1) 12 Visa non-PIN check card purchases. Average transaction amount for the month must be greater than $5, 2) automatic deposit into the account, and 3) receive e-Statements. If these are not met, the rate falls to 0.10%. There are no minimum balance requirements.
Membership is open to those who live or work in any of the following Iowa counties: Johnson, Linn, Iowa, Cedar, Tama, Muscatine, Louisa, Keokuk, Poweshiek, Benton, Jasper, Marshall, Mahaska, or Washington. You may also join if you are a relative of a current member or attended the University of Iowa. Membership requires a minimum $5 deposit into the share savings aaccount.
Branches are located in Iowa City, Coralville, Grinnell and North Liberty. The credit union is federally insured by the NCUA (Charter # 60269). It has $595.5 million in assets and 50,848 members.
Other High Yield Reward Checking Accounts
Please see my reward checking overview for general information and a history of these reward checking accounts. For other reward checking accounts please see my list of reward checking accounts around the nation and the best checking account post.
- 09/01/11: 3.25% APY up to $25K
- 07/30/11: 3.75% APY up to $25K
- 03/01/11: 4.25% APY up to $25K; 0.25% over
- 10/01/09: 4.00% APY up to $25K; 1.00% over; 0.10% base rate; no more log in requirement listed
- 09/01/09: 4.25% APY up to $25K; 1.25% $25K-$50K; 1.00% over $50K; 0.10% base rate
- 07/02/09: Added $5 average debit card usage requirement
- 06/01/09: 4.25% APY
- 04/01/09: 4.50% APY up to $25K; 1.50% $25K-$50K; 1.00% over $50K; 0.10% base rate
- 01/06/09: 4.25% APY for up to $50K; 1.00% for above
- 11/01/08: 4.75% APY
- 8/30/08: 5.00% APY
- 5/06/08: 5.50% APY
- 4/07/08: 5.13% APY
- 3/03/08: 5.00% APY
- 1/03/08: 6.00% APY for up to $50K; 1.25% APY for above (initial post)