Now through January 31, 2023, California-based Pasadena Federal Credit Union (Pasadena FCU) is offering a 15-month Certificate Special. Earning 5.00% APY, this limited-time offering can be opened with a minimum $1k deposit, with a maximum deposit of $1m. New money is required, which is simply defined as funds not currently on deposit with Pasadena FCU.
According to CSR, the Early Withdrawal Penalty for certificate terms greater than one year is the lesser of 180 days dividends or all earned dividends on the amount withdrawn. Partial withdrawals are allowed, but if the balance falls below the required $1k minimum, the certificate will be closed.
Headquartered in Pasadena, California, Pasadena Federal Credit Union’s field of membership (FOM) provides a way to join for virtually all U.S. citizens and resident aliens (18 years or older) who have a valid Social Security number.
The How to Join page lists five different ways to qualify for membership, including an easy membership requirement (EMR).
Friends of the Pasadena Public Library: A $25 donation is required to join FPPL. The organization’s mission “is to support the library’s programs, special services and cultural events. Membership dues and donations help fund critical library programs ranging from summer reading clubs for children and teens, to community-wide One City, One Story events."
Employment: Employees of the California cities of Pasadena, San Gabriel, San Madre, or South Pasadena qualify for membership. Employees, volunteers, members, or students of more than 170 Select Employer Groups also qualify for membership,
Personal Relationship: Family and household members of current Pasadena FCU members are also eligible for membership.
Joining Pasadena FCU and/or opening a 15-Month Certificate Special can be done online, or at the sole California branch located on N. Lake Avenue in Pasadena. The Membership Application is also available as PDF and can be downloaded.
- If you are already a member of Pasadena FCU, simply contact a Pasadena FCU representative today so we can help you get started:
- (800) 445-PFCU (7328)
- (626) 799-0882
- If you are not a member yet, we will be able to add a Certificate account for you once you have completed a membership application. The entire process only takes a couple minutes! Just click the button below to get started.
Opening a Primary Share Savings account ($5 minimum deposit) activates a Pasadena FCU membership and membership benefits.
Funding and Other Particulars
A Truth-in-Savings disclosure is not available on the Pasadena FCU website. The following was provided by CSR.
- Funding – ACH, check, or external transfer (shared branch).
- CO-OP Shared Branch Participant – Yes.
- Dividends – Compound monthly, but must remain on in the Certificate and may not be withdrawn.
- Maturing Funds – Cashier’s check or internal transfer to a Pasadena FCU Primary Share Savings account.
- Beneficiaries – Unlimited with percentages assigned. Social Security numbers required for all beneficiaries.
- Grace Period – 7 calendar days before automatic renewal. Maturity date is the first day of the grace period.
- Credit Check – Hard pull when joining. No credit check for existing members when opening a Certificate.
Credit Union Overview
Pasadena Federal Credit Union has an overall health grade of "B+" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 2.05% (excellent) based on September 30, 2022 data. In the past year, Pasadena FCU decreased its total non-brokered deposits by $-3.94 million, an average annual growth rate of -1.89%. Please refer to our financial overview of Pasadena Federal Credit Union (NCUA Charter # 594) for more details.
Founded in 1935, Pasadena Federal Credit Union’s initial FOM was exclusive to the employees of the City of Pasadena. A single window in the City Treasurer’s office served as the first “branch location,” with the credit union calling Pasadena City Hall home until 1980. Pasadena Federal Credit Union is currently the 199th largest credit union in California with more than 13,400 members and assets in excess of $231 million.
How the 15-Month Certificate Special Compares
When compared to similar length-of-term CDs tracked by DepositAccounts.com that are available nationwide and have minimum deposit requirements of $10k or less, only one credit union has a higher rate than currently offered on the Pasadena FCU 15-month Certificate Special. The following table compares the 15-month Certificate Special to the two highest-rate CDs from other credit unions and the two highest-rate CDs from banks.
The above information and rates are accurate as of 12/22/2022.
To look for the best CD rates, both nationwide and state specific, please refer to our CD Rates Table page.