Deal Summary: $225 checking bonus, available through March 31, 2017; 5-year CD, 2.00% APY.
Santander Bank, N.A. (Santander Bank) "Simply Right Checking" $150 promotion expired on January 31. Rather than extending the promotion, Santander Bank has replaced it with a $225 checking bonus, which has the same requirements and limitations as the previous $150 bonus.
Three different Santander Bank checking accounts (Simply Right Checking, Basic Checking, and Premier Plus Checking) qualify for the new $225 bonus.
Bonus Qualifying Requirements
- Open a new eligible checking account by March 31, 2017.
- If opening in-branch, use coupon when applying.
- If opening online, use the promo code “WINTER225.”
- Have Direct Deposits* totaling at least $500 within the first 90 days.
- Keep the account open for at least 90 days.
- Bonus will be paid within 30 days, following the completion of the above requirements.
- The Simply Right Checking and Basic Checking accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit, while the Premier Plus Check account requires a $50 minimum opening deposit.
*According to the fine print on the promotion page,
Direct deposits include deposits made by your employer or a federal or state government
agency or retirement benefits administrator and generally payments made by corporations
or other organizations. It does not include deposits to your Account that are made by an
individual using online banking or an Internet payment provider such as PayPal.
- Not available to current deposit Santander customers or those who “had a Santander deposit account in the last 12 months prior to account opening.”
- Eligible new account must be opened between February 1, 2017 and March 31, 2017.
- Account must have a positive balance at the time of a bonus payment.
- Simply Right Checking - $10, which can be waived by making one transaction (deposit, withdrawal, transfer, or payment) posted during the calendar month.
- Basic Checking - $3, cannot be waived.
- Premier Plus Checking - $35, which can be waived through $75k in combined account balances, or $6k+ in total direct deposits during the service fee period.
5-Year CD, 2.00% APY
Santander Bank is also offering a 5-year CD (2.00% APY) which is competitive for a large brick-and-mortar bank. The CD requires a $500 minimum deposit and a consumer checking account relationship. The “Jumbo” version of the 5-year CD requires a minimum $100k deposit and a consumer checking account relationship, but earns the same 2.00% APY. According to the FAQs page, the Early Withdrawal Penalty reads as follows:
One year's interest on the principal dollar amount
withdrawn for Retail CDs with a term of five years or greater.
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, Santander Bank offers its services and product line nationally through its online banking platform to all U.S. Citizens and Residents Aliens with a valid Social Security number and valid email address.
Applying for the $225 Checking Bonus can be done online or at any of 675 branches located in Connecticut (28), Delaware (1), Massachusetts (222), New Hampshire (18), New Jersey (138), New York (78), Pennsylvania (159), and Rhode Island (32).
If opening online, you must enter promo code “WINTER225”; if opening in-branch, your application must be accompanied by a printout of the coupon, which can be obtained through email.
Santander Bank has an overall health grade of "A" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas Ratio of 4.55% (excellent) based on September 30, 2016 data. In the past year, Santander Bank has increased its non-brokered total deposits by $1.37 billion, an above average annual growth rate of 2.32%. Please refer to our financial overview of Santander Bank (FDIC Certificate # 29950) for more details.
Founded in 1907 as the New Home Federal Savings and Loan Association, today’s Santander Bank is the result of 27 acquisitions of financial institutions based in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York, which began in 1976. In 40 years of acquisitions, the Bank has rebranded three times, with the very familiar Sovereign Bank name lasting more than 20 years. The third rebrand occurred in 2013, with Santander replacing Sovereign. Santander Bank is currently the 30th largest bank in the country, with assets in excess of $85 billion.
How the $225 Bonus Compares
Assuming a Simply Right Checking account is opened with the required minimum $25 deposit, minimum of $500 in direct deposit, and the $10 monthly fee is waived:
- $525 for 120 days in a Simply Right Checking account = $225 bonus
- $525 for 120 days in a savings account earning 1% = $1.31 interest
The above rates are accurate as of 2/27/2017.
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for Santander Bank’s Simply Right Checking bonus? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.