Two summers ago, I first wrote about WesBanco’s (then new) checking account bonus, which could earn up to $200. Like the original bonus offer, this bonus is broken into $25 and $50 increments, with all bonus activity required to occur and post to the account within 90 days of account opening. This current bonus is available through December 31, 2016.
- $25 – Activate e-Statement
- $25 – 10 debit card purchase transactions
- $50 – Two Direct Deposits at least $200 each
- $50 – Two bills paid with WesBanco Bill Pay
- $50 – Refer a friend to open a new qualified checking account
- Minimum opening deposit is $50 of new money.
- All bonus activity must occur and post to the account within 90 days of new account opening.
- Current WesBanco checking customers are not eligible for any of the bonuses.
- Bonuses are limited to one per account and may not be used in combination with other offers.
- Customers who have received any previous WesBanco checking account bonuses are not eligible.
- Checking account must be in good standing at the time of bonus payment.
WesBanco offers five different checking accounts: Basic Checking, A+ Checking, 55+ Checking, Interest Checking, and Premium Checking. Three of the checking accounts have monthly service fees that can be waived; the remaining two have no monthly service fees. WesBanco’s Learn More & Compare page provides details on the various checking accounts.
Headquartered in Wheeling, West Virginia, WesBanco’s market area includes southern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and western and northern West Virginia.
Opening a WesBanco checking account and applying for the bonus can be done in person at any of 142 full-service branches located in Ohio (60), Pennsylvania (38), and West Virginia (44).
WesBanco’s online banking platform is currently dedicated to account management and bill payment services.
WesBanco, (FDIC Certificate # 803) has an overall health grade of "B+" at DepositAccounts.com, with a Texas ratio of 3.26% (excellent), based on March 31, 2016 data. WesBanco an excellent capitalization level of 14.46%, the result of holding $8.55 billion in assets with $1.24 billion in equity. Please refer to our financial overview of WesBanco for more details.
WesBanco is currently the largest bank in West Virginia, with assets in excess of $8.5 billion. WesBanco’s website list more than 60 “key dates in our history” – far too many to mention here - including 19 acquisitions, a couple mergers, and a few name changes.
Today our bank operates under the same basic charter that was issued on January 20,
1870 to “The German Bank” which officially began operations on April 3, 1870. Seventeen
years later, on February 3, 1887, the Dollar Savings Bank was organized in Wheeling. The
two banks would eventually merge and the combined bank’s leaders were incredibly active
in building a better, stronger region. It was the first of many acquisitions and mergers that
would allow us to grow with the needs of our customers.
How the Bonus Compares
The structure of this bonus doesn’t fit my usual comparison song-and-dance, since only $50 of the total $200 bonus is dependent on money (the two Direct Deposits of at least $200 each). There is no mention in the fine print of when the bonus will be paid, but I’ve chosen 90 days for this comparison because all the bonus requirements must be completed within 90 days of account opening.
- $400 for 90 days in a WesBanco checking account = $50 bonus
- $400 for 90 days in a savings account earning 1% = $1.00 interest
The above rates are accurate as of 7/16/2016.
Other Bank Promotions and Bonuses
Not eligible for WesBanco’s Checking Bonus? Check out my latest bank and credit union bonus blog posts to find other promotions. In addition, DepositAccounts.com readers and I also post often on bonuses in the Bank Promotions Forum.