TIAA Bank Reviews

Quitting TIAA

Posted by: Asklyar59 | Aug 4, 2019

Quitting TIAA after being Everbank customer for 19 years.
Reason:
#1 - After upgrading my Tiaa App, the App asks me to enter my credentials again even my Faceid was enabled.Really?
#2. Wanted to set up the autopay for my ten-year loan - The system prohibits me to by limiting the number of payments just to six years! Really?
#3. in order for me to see my scheduled payments, I called the Customer Service to help me find it the page where I can see it. Really?
#4. When you dialed to the Customer Support number, the system tells me that it recognizes me but asks me to enter my Birthday. Really?
I miss the Everbank!.

I Miss Everbank

Posted by: ae | Jul 30, 2019

Giving this 2 stars because the people who work there are nice!! But wow. It rough coming from EverBank to TIAA. when you called before a real person would always answer the phone right away. You could do wire transfer over the phone. Never thought I'd miss a banking experience enough to be moved to write a review about it! TIAA! Re-hire all those people you must have laid off that were answering the phones and helping your customers.

Seems To Be Deteriorating Since The TIAA Take Over

I have been an online customer of EverBank for a long time, and loved it.

I am concerned about some changes that are being imposed by TIAA. Apparently the External Transfer process is being brought in-house.

For the last week or so, Scheduled External Transfers are no longer visible on the checking account Banking | Account Activity | Show scheduled transactions - page (cibng.ibanking-services.com/cib/CEBMainServlet/AccountActivity).

Being able to see scheduled payments and transfers on the same page and their projected impact upon the balance, is the reason I have been so loyal to EverBank.

Customer Service advises 'they are working on it'

Since TIAA-EverBank had become the 'dashboard' for all of our financial activities, this may become a deal-breaker.

To add insult to injury, the institutions involved in the transfers are also not being identified in the Account Activity page. for the last week it just reports an external transaction with the amount.

Because EverBank had been so good for so long, I am hoping TIAA will either make the new process work with the established report system, or go back to using the old outside external transactions provider until the IT department is able to make changes without ruining the customer experience.

Disaster Online

Posted by: rh1 | Mar 9, 2019

The website has many functional problems on Apple's Safari browser. They recently replaced a well-functioning person-to-person payment service, PeoplePay, with buggy hard-to-use Zelle, which some people I pay refuse to use (I don't blame them!) Customer service is a mess. They say they will get back to you on problems and then never do. Website help is confusing because they seem to have more than one website. They recently replaced the App, but I only discovered that when stuff stopped working — no info on the change was ever sent to me and they don't know why. (I check spam everyday.) I'm starting the long slog to move my accounts elsewhere.

Have Found No Better!

Posted by: tkemg | Feb 14, 2019

I have been a customer of Everbank / TIAA for a long time. I have done in the past business with several Banks but not equaled the quality of services and depth of products available to its customers as TIAA.
Without exception, I received the best service and enjoyed consistently the highest return on my basic investment in my Checking, Savings, Money Market and CD account.
Any administrative change takes time to mature and overcome transitional difficulties.
Overall Everbank and TIAA have done a great job to accomplish this task, normalize operations and, as such, ought to be congratulated for a job well done! Indeed I am a very satisfy TIAA customer!

Excellent Experience.

Posted by: murr9506 | Feb 13, 2019

TIAA has offered some of the higher CD rates which is what I seek. One of my CDs matured over the weekend and they walked me through the transfer process. They added a couple of days accrued interest to the balance due to the weekend maturity and everything went smoothly. Their representatives have always been professional and thoroughly answer any questions. I hope to do more business with them soon.

Terrible Service

I have multiple accounts with this bank. Following their purchase of EverBank, service was good. Lately, it has sunk to very poor. I called yesterday and the recording advised a 30+ minute wait. I called today and its a 45 minute wait. I sent an internal email yesterday AM and as of over a day later, no response. Time to move my money.

TIAA Roth IRA One-Year CD Interest Rate

Posted by: Numbers54 | Nov 1, 2018

Though Oct. 2018 TIAA interest rate at 2.68%, I requested a Roth IRA balance be transferred to our TIAA Money Market Account. They failed to transfer the money and renewed the CD against my instruction. Though the 1-Year New CD was posted at 2.68% they gave us .07% rate lower. The same occurred the previous year. Therefore I cannot trust them and will not put more money into other CDs at this institution.

Another Company Offering Low Rates

Posted by: Sperry8 | Oct 2, 2018

Been with TIAA Direct for years, their rates remain uncompetitive. Further their "savings" account earns less than their money market account and like many companies require you to open a new account just to be brought up to the non-competitive higher rate. No thanks TIAA. I'm out.

TIAA Takeover Of Everbank Ruined This Bank

Posted by: daisuke | Sep 22, 2018

I was an Everbank client for 8 years prior to its takeover by TIAA CREF. It has a responsive and very capable online interface. It was exclusively an online bank. In May or June 2018, TIAA CREF bought Everbank. From there it has been straight downhill. The interface is now wrapped by TIAA CREF's cumbersome, clunky and painfully slow interface. Simple processes no long work. For example, adding an external bank in order to do ACH transfers is now broken. I am going to close my acccount here and the search is on for a better online bank. It will take time since so much data entry is needed but how long can one put up with incompetence in a bank?

Decent If You're Already In

Posted by: bankingar | Sep 21, 2018

tl;dr may not be worth it to start a relationship but if you're already in, it's not imperative to get out

I got swept into TIAA bank when they bought Everbank. Rates and the good-enough software remained the same. They're not a rate leader but they're usually in the top 10.

The leading driver of my average score is that I know there is better online banking software out there so I know how much CD management, account opening, and customer service CAN be improved. They simply haven't kept up but I already have a relationship so opening an additional CD isn't terrible.

One thing that is really awful and I cannot fathom is their "security code" when you're in the process of opening an account. You need this to continue or complete an application. The site wasn't working properly and I couldn't view mine. The only way to get around it is to call them. I should just be able to do this when I'm logged in. Why is additional security necessary when I
a) already have a banking relationship and online access
b) am moving money INTO the account

Services They Can't Afford

Tiaa offers a 10.00 overdraft but they freeze any check or money order deposit for 15 days if you use this service they can't afford to pay for you I spent 4 hours on phone after finding they held a paid item 10 extra days because I used 9.00 dollars overdraft during the Harvey hurricane

Rate Lock At Funding

Posted by: rateinfo | Sep 13, 2017

Per legal info on website and call to bank, CD rate locked when funds received and not at time of application. Rate could change.

Customer Service Releasing Funds

Trying to get funds released from TIAA. We are 4 weeks into calling with each week's response being "no one has requested these funds to be released". Even called the same week and they stated it is scheduled to be delivered and is in queue and should mail 3-5 days after request. We call in when they say it was going to be received and then they say..."no one has requested it to be released." 4 weeks of this and requests to be called by Supervisor have not been returned. I believe the CSR's are not that stupid or incompetent and this is a business practice to keep funds they are not entitled to keep. I filed with BBB and will be filing with Attorney General's office as well. I plan to use Facebook and since I am an executive, I plan to use Linkdn and the groups I am associated with let everyone know of these questionable business practices.

One Of The Best Banks You Never Have To See

Posted by: mcpeak02 | Mar 16, 2016

TIAA Direct has been great to deal with in nearly every facet. Recently, I began doing some research for a new banking institution. I needed a separate account for my business line. The options at my local big banks were just not cutting it for me. At TIAA, they were able to set me up with a checking account system that would automatically draw funds out as needed and pay certain expenses when available. This service allows me to have one less hassle to worry about. I can rest easy knowing my expenses will be covered and I will never have to deal with any fees. This entire process was free and done with limited hassle. While there, I checking into rates on some of their deposit accounts. This is my only complaint about them. Their rates are slightly below average that I was able to find elsewhere.

Very Satisfied With Its Usefulness ASTERISK

Posted by: redfarm | Nov 23, 2014

I wrote the complimentary review at the bottom a few years back, but have to update it. Over the last few months (Spring 2019) TIAA's back office operations have spun downwards. A scheduled external transfer was not executed. Customer Service saw the snafu, but could not explain the reason. Linked external accounts can't be deleted without submitting a request. This step would be fine except on two occasions the requests weren't carried out.

"While disappointed with the interest rate drops, I'm satisfied with the customer service which has always been helpful. I use the money market for writing checks (up to 6 a month) and ATM cash withdrawals (many no-fee locations), and the checking account for paying bills online (unlimited). Easy to deposit checks with a smart phone app. This isn't my main bank account for earning interest on my savings (unless its rate rises), but it is very good for banking transactions without the banking fees."

TIAA Direct Increases High Yield Savings Rate To 0.80%

Posted by: rjcohen | Jul 3, 2014

I had been struck by inertia after TIAA dropped its rate to 0.40%. Just as I was mobilizing to move money, I received an e-mail from TIAA Direct on June 30 announcing its new rate of 0.80%. Close enough to the top to demobilize!

NOT A Good Experience!

The rates at TIAA Direct, which was what drew me to this institution in the first place nearly two years ago, have really gone downhill. Their customer service is just atrocious. I have both checking and savings with them. I've had just one problem after another with my checking account. A couple of times, these issues left me without access to my money. This last time, it took multiple phone calls to different departments to resolve anything. After about a week, I was directed Candace (Candi) Kendall in the fraud department which was apparently the source of my issue - they had decided to put a hold on my account without notifying me. There was no fraud. They had decided to do this because I withdrew some of my own money (within the strictly limited amounts imposed by the bank). I do believe that they don't care about pushing customers away - their rates and their services are just that bad!