Alaska USA Federal Credit Union Reviews

Alaska USA Mortgage

A mortgage broker at the Alaska USA Soldotna branch appears to have used the company office to search out a buy at auction foreclosed property out from under the disabled. When confronted Kathy S. has hid behind a attorney and has made no attempt to correct a defective sale.
I would do business somewhere else. This company has no control over the employees.who operate with only personal greed in mind.

The Worst Experience

well I had to refinance my car for lower payments and because my credit was a lot better now, I called them and i was speaking to the person about the refinancing and he told me that I had 5100 dollars on the car and that I needed 5600 dollars and I said okay, and they told me that I was going to receive a check of 500 dollars and my APR was going to be 5.2 percent and I said okay and he told me monthly payment will be 122 dollars a month, so I waited 3 weeks and I haven't received anything, I called them today and they tell me that the person that I was speaking to he didn't closed or something and I was okay. . so I asked her well this time will be everything okay? and she got upset.. she didn't say anything, and she tells me the APR will be 5.5 percent and payment 139.75 dollars.. wth and I told her how come now the APR it is higher and the monthly payment she didn't have any explenation....

My husband and I were with Alaska for 4 years for a vehicle loan. Never late on a payment we recently decided we needed something bigger so we figured we would go straight through them doing a trade in. We we're told we would need a down payment of $3,000 for an$18,000 loan(the first time). We couldn't afford that. We called again and, at the dealership on speaker phone with our sales rep. The guy on the phone told us the interest, the monthly payments, when the paperwork would arrive, everything. The sales rep faxed them the paperwork and everything(second time). The third time was when we got a phone call from the dealership saying Alaska wasn't going to give us the loan. Even though we've been with them 4 years, never missed a payment and, our monthly payments would be less that what we were paying for our current vehicle! The last time my husband called them they said nothing was in the notes about any conversation that had taken place and, we couldn't afford the monthly payments! (that were less than we already pay!) After all these years and, everything this is how it is!? I just want to say we got a loan through a different bank and we will never work with Alaska ever again! I can't believe this is how you treat your loyal customers!

As good as it gets

Posted by: alowmbade | Feb 19, 2015

Credit unions in general, good. Alaska USA FCU, great! I have had a savings and visa credit card with them for many, many years. The credit card I have is great, because it has a low limit (only $500 so I can't get too crazy) and it is linked to my savings account, so i have to keep at least $500 in my savings to keep my card. It was really great when I was younger and trying to build up credit, and I still continue to use it today because of the great points program they have. Downside- no branches in my area. Always have great customer service, never had any problems, and recently got a great loan for my new used car.

Unreasonable fees

Posted by: Arielle14 | Oct 11, 2014

I was highly disappointed in Alaska USA Federal Credit Union. Upon first coming to the state I picked this Credit Union to bank with but discovered that they charge monstrous fees after the age of 25 despite how long being a client of theirs. In recent years I had to switch to Wells Fargo Bank because service was disastrous!

For example one day I had to quickly run to the bank to deposit checks (no convenience there!) and quickly pick up my son because I had to pay rent. The total amount the teller deposited into my account was only $300... the checks I had totaled well over $900!! It was terrible weather and the moment I got inside my car and having to turn back... and having to wait in line again was a pain! They fixed the problem all was forgiven but then a similar event happened at another branch but this time accidentally putting someone else's money in my account!

Customer service was really unhelpful during these happenings. I am not sure how they train their tellers but apparently you get really good ones or really bad ones that screw up your account. I had to close down my accounts because it was too much of a headache. Bills after all needed to be paid. Overall I will not be back to put my name on an account with Alaska Federal Credit Union. Very much wasted my time. Although maybe now they have things to make it "convenient" for their members... I am reluctant to believe their new convenience methods are as glitchy as their tellers brains!

Posted by: Vin Hodges | Jul 1, 2014

they force impose their insurance on you, they lose paperwork you fax them, and they do not care if you are deployed. Christine the manager especially is rude. they dont care if a meteor takes out your entire block and your wife is pregnant with kids. a freaking earth quake could destroy the country you live in and they will not spare you peace of mind nor chance to fix your account. its pay in full or lsoe your property. i will never use alaska ever again!

-kevin hodges, recently returning from usn deployment.

Posted by: KEKOAKAT | Jul 15, 2013

Ida L And Special Credits Department Are Terrible!

Long story short I am in sales and backed up on cash paying 700 a month in child support and my other bills no matter what I make (which is next to nothing in AZ now where I live to be with my daughter. I always paid them on time and I am a few months behind on my loan account. I had a relative deposit cash into my checking only to find out they closed my debit card because I didn't pay a totally different account.. Okay so I explain to them my situation how I am stuck without gas and ask if I could write myself a check to get the money out, the man said yes. I asked if the check would bounce if I wrote it right now for the amount in there, if they were going to take any of my money fr there, the man said no. A few hours later... 60 bucks gone, just listed as "Withdrawl". I call special credits and complain, Lisa is my rep and she says she doesn't see me asking that in the notes, I asked to listen to it and she had her supervisor Ida do so and call me. Ida claims he answered my question with correct verbiage and I asked to listen to it to prove to me and she said no. I know how I worded the question and she was covering for him for lying, she wasn't helping me and said "this conversation can end at any time" when I was still trying to get it resolved.... Very very unethical and poor customer service. Ridiculous that they are so disrespectful to the people who make up the bank and are walking reviews and recommendations.

Posted by: hmsteele | Feb 8, 2013

I made a check and cash deposit in the ATM at the Apply Valley branch on Friday January 18, 2013. The machine posted that it was not able to process the cash transaction and did not return my money. I immediately went into the branch and spoke with a teller who had the manager assist her in filing a dispute. I gave them the exact denomination and what bills I had placed into the machine. I was told that it would be resolved in 3 business days. The following week I contacted member services and was told that the dispute was misfiled and that it would take up to 10 days from her receiving the dispute. My dispute was not expedited even though it was their mistake in sending the dispute to the wrong department. That alone got the resolution process with her off on the wrong foot! I was told that an outside servicer does the money pickups and maintenance on the machines once a week. The following week I received a credit for half of the amount that I deposited as they said that it was all that they found.  I have talked to several employees and been given different information each time.  The person in the dispute department has been frustrating to work with. It seems like she doesn't believe me so she is not trying to resolve the problem. I have already proven that the machine did not work properly. I think they should also look into the service that checks the machines. The money was put in the machine and now it is gone! Someone should be held accountable.

Long story short, it is 3 weeks later and I still have not recevied the rest of my money.  I asked the person handling the dispute how she would feel if this had happened to her? She told me that she does not use ATMs! WOW, that is assuring! I was with Bank of America for nearly 20 years and only had ATM banking and never had a problem with their machines. Now I have to go into the bank to do deposits because I no longer trust Alaska USAs  ATM machines! This has been a major inconvenience and I am now late paying bills because of the missing money. I am going to be filing complaints with agencies to get this resolved and closing my account.

Horrible Servicing On Car Loans!!!

Posted by: loeyf | Oct 1, 2012

Warning - never use Alaska USA Federal Credit Union. I accidentally dropped the cents off our car payment (29 cents to be exact) and they called my loan "delinquent" and charged a late fee. I called them, and they were unmoving.  They said the amount late doesn't matter, if the whole payment isn't received the due date doesn't advance.  Very unethical behavior.  My husband and I are getting out of doing business with them as soon as possible.

Horrible Bank - Left After Years Of Being A Member

Posted by: JWoody907 | Sep 7, 2012

AlaskaUSA is a horrible bank, the staff are rude, unhelpful, and the bank itself engages in highly questionable acts as an institution.

I had been a member since 1996 and left in mid-2012 after spending 5 years of my adult life putting up with runaround BS. Here's a rough breakdown:

1) MORTGAGE LOANS: I bought a condo in 2009, following a divorce, we found out that AKUSA had sold the mortgage loan to Bank of America, who promptly proceeded to lose 3 payments, putting us on the verge of foreclosure. We never received a notification of the sale, or any notification we somehow ended up months behind. We contacted AKUSA to correct the problem (because we'd paid the mortgage through AKUSA online bill pay and thought they owned it still) and their reply was a collective "Not our problem, we sold it, call BoA".

I eventually filed a complaint with the BBB about the conduct of the mortgage, and they finally disclosed the sale to us, but never helped correct the problem.

2) AUTO LOANS: My ex-wife bought a car, and took it over after the divorce. She missed a payment, and with no warning, the bank deducted $260 from my account, which had already been sent out in checks from their online Bill Pay service, creating overdraft fees in the amount of almost $100 (5 checks @ $20 a pop). I called them and they said my name was on the account that opened the loan (because she inherited our joint-checking, I kept my private checking) so I was responsible. Nevermind my name was NOT ON THE LOAN ITSELF, nor on the car. I informed them I was divorced and it must be a clerical oversight, they told me again "Not our problem".

I've since contacted a lawyer about the incident, and am in the process of filing a lawsuit against the bank for violating banking law.

I cannot stress enough not to join this bank. It promises the world but delivers nothing but hell to those that buy into their lies.

Staff Experience

Posted by: WillWill | Jun 23, 2012

I bank at the northgate branch in Seattle. I find the turn over in the staff at the bank to be exceptionally high. Consequently when dealing with things like opening an IRA or CD, I have gotten in new teller each time and only one time out of 4 did the teller know exactly what to do, however she left. It seems like once they ge4t some experience they move on. If you're not paying attention and know what the fial outcome should be, mistakes will be made. Perhaps the turnover problem is related to the branch being open 7 days a week. I would rathe they only open five and a half days and keep their employees. Everyone is alway friendly but inexperienced

Dont Bank With Them

Posted by: Anonymous | Jun 12, 2012

This is the worst bank ever, dont waste your time and money. Bank elsewhere.

Special Credits Department

Posted by: d741 | May 12, 2012

I have breast cancer, stage 3. I just had 5 mo. Of chemotherapy, bi lateral mastectomies, and am doing chemotherapy again since February. I got stuck with a boat in a divorce from a physically violent man. I stayed current on my vehicle and boat loans until last January. I informed special credits of my situation and lack of money. I let them come and repossess the boat for auction. It has not been auctioned yet. They just sent me notice, dated 4 days after repossession, that they are going to enforce a cross collateralization policy and if I do not pay what remains on the boat they will repossess my vehicle. Thank you for treating me like this with knowing my situation. I am not trying to get something for free, I just need to make my co payments for chemotherapy and prescriptions, etc. I am working as much as I can and I am raising a child and not receiving any child support or court ordered restitution. Please come take my vehicle next month, thiswill really help me to get to the doctor, work and school for my child. Boy do I appreciate your humanity. Thanks for the added stress, I really need this when I'm sick every single day. I have nothing left to lose. Come get my source of transportation you inconsiderate people. Thanks for all the help when I called several times to try to work something out. You are not kind people. Sometimes really bad things happen to people that are unexpected. I never thought I would have to face the possibility of my death at my age with a child in elementary school. I am venting for my own mental health. Thank you (sarcastically), for your unwillingness to work with a customer who had never missed a payment since august 2007, I believe my life is more important at this time. Come get my vehicle and put me in a horrible predicament. I will never recommend your company to anyone, ever.

Special Credits Department

Posted by: AKbullie | Apr 8, 2012

I had lost my job and out of work 18 months.  Kept my payments up till the last 3 months of my unemployment.  The special credits people were absolutely horrid to work with.  I had an unsecured loan, credit card and a vehicle loan with them.  The vehicle loan went 30 days late and they repossessed it.  When I tried to pay the vehicle off they tied the other two loans to it and wanted pay off for all three or I couldn't get the vehicle back.

If you are looking for a reputable credit union this is not the place to bank.  They forget whose money is in your account.  They treat the members like criminals when you try and work things out when you are late.  They report false items on your credit report.  Don't walk away from this credit union, run like your life depends upon it.

As Military my husband and I were really excited to be receiving such a low APR on our car loan only to find out in the long run, they are NOT Military friendly! Although it is easy to make a one-time payment online, there are a million steps to actually use their online banking! They don't understand what BEING DEPLOYED MEANS and will not recognize nor honor the SPECIAL POWER OF ATTORNEY I gave to my sister so she could pay the auto loan, as getting online to do this myself is not a luxury I have!

Then I needed to add my husband to the account so he can make payments too and we sent in all of the paper work and nothing ever happened! I called several times to follow up and they received the paper work but he was never added to the account. They insured me that I could do the same with my sister but then what was the point of a special power of attorney?!? If they could not honor it the first time what makes them think I have enough faith to waste my time to give it a second shot? FOOLS!

Online banking, oooooo I get a checking and saving account just for having an auto loan - IT IS NOT WORTH IT! The Lower APR is NOT WORTH IT, I should have gone to USAA and when I go home on leave I am refinancing to GET AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from this worthless institution! GO USAA, they will do ANYTHING to accommodate your needs, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A SERVICE MEMBER!

Poorly Managed

Posted by: tkvx89 | Jan 4, 2012

I tried to open and account at two different branches (Victorville and Apple Valley), only to walk out of both of them.  This place has no one there to open a new account.  First I went to the Victorville office, which had a line of 15 to 20 people (it's a small branch) with only what looked like 2 tellers.  No one to talk to, to open an account.

So, I thougth the larger branch in Apple Valley would be better. Boy was I wrong.  The line was at least 30, if not 40 people long, with it looked like again, only 2 tellers.  This branch has a kios to talk to someone, so I entered my information.  I was helped in about 5 minutes, so no ocmplaints there.  Except, I was instructed to go stand in line to talk to a teller to open an account.  I told her that I wasn't interested in standing in line for 40+ minutes just to open an account.  Especially, when I can open an account anywhere else and they have someone to handle new accounts (since, it's true).

She even admitted, that they where short tellers.  This is a poorly managed credit union and the first one I've ever been to that does not have someone for handling accounts.  Alaska needs to temporarily increase there staff (even banks know this) to hanlde the days you where closed after a major holiday.

Mind you that I'm not a fan of banks at all (epsecially, since they received bail-out money). but I went to 3 other banks that day.  All of them had at least 4 tellers, a line of no more then 5 people and at least one person to talk to for handling accounts.

Pam H. Ida L. In Special Credits Were Rude, Uncompromising, Disrespectful, And Engage In Improper Conduct.

Posted by: dophelan | Jul 25, 2011

Overall, Alaska USA has excellent customer service and I had an account there for over 10 years and was always impressed, but what Special Credits did with respect to the sale of my used car was outrageously wrongful and they should be ashamed of themselves; they interferred with my sale and caused me to lose a substantial amount of money, they actually communicated with the purchaser of the vehicle and the net result was that I received less than I could have. In addition, they would not give me an additional week to sell it and were threatening and generally nasty and rude. These types of actions caused me to close my accounts. I would not advise anyone to get a vehicle loan or other loan at Alaska USA FCU. Shop around!

Open To Residents Of San Bernardino County

Posted by: cactus | May 5, 2011

Per phone agent, open to residents of San Bernardino County.

Service Sucks

Posted by: Anonymous | Apr 26, 2011

Their customer service stinks! I was already approved for a home loan through another banks, but wanted to see if i could get a better rate through Alaska USA. Without even looking at my tax return the lady said " good luck." She didn't even look into my veteran home loan. I wouldn't not recommend Alaska USA to anyone.